Ready or Mock

Kazkal

I know most of you are very high on Taylor Mays and while I see his speed and measurables as awesome his play at USC this past season

didnt seem to warrant him as much of a cover safety.....

he can hit yes...fast ..Talledaga fast....

knock on him seems to be instincts...has none...

plays poor angles and as far as playmaking....INTS? Passesdefensed?? very low totals for all the accolades thrown his way on this board..

He's a bigger faster younger version of Roy Williams.....a STRONG SAFETY last I knew...not a free safety..

Crocker is aging and who will take his place eventually???

Mays you say???

Tell me why he's such a good FS??

Please list all the attributes he could bring to the table in pass coverage......the NFL is passing league ...more than ever....

Im leaning towards Morgan Burnette or Nate Allen in round two if theyre on the board...

I've said it to many times to recall, but one more surely won't hurt. Taylor Mays screwed up not coming out his junior year. Why ??

Not because his flaws were amplified, but rather EVERY SINGLE player in his junior secondary along with every starting linebacker and some d-lineman left. He came into his senior season with a brand new group on almost the entire defense. He was expected to carry the load and it was simply to much to be expected of any one player. Do you honestly think he's going to have that issue in the Bengals secondary ?? I can't envision that by any chance. It's simple, look what he did with a conhesive unit up until his senior season. THAT is what Taylor Mays is about and what he would be about in a VERY good Bengals secondary, while learning from a 5 time pro bowl player in Williams. He won't be expected to step into the spotlight and lets not forget Roy Williams is on a one year contract.

Here's another for you. If Taylor Mays is a Roy Williams clone and Mike Zimmer says Roy Williams is the "PERFECT FIT" for our defense, why wouldn't we want Taylor Mays (faster, younger, same skill set) to be the one to replace him ??

I know most of you are very high on Taylor Mays and while I see his speed and measurables as awesome his play at USC this past season

didnt seem to warrant him as much of a cover safety.....

he can hit yes...fast ..Talledaga fast....

knock on him seems to be instincts...has none...

plays poor angles and as far as playmaking....INTS? Passesdefensed?? very low totals for all the accolades thrown his way on this board..

He's a bigger faster younger version of Roy Williams.....a STRONG SAFETY last I knew...not a free safety..

Crocker is aging and who will take his place eventually???

Mays you say???

Tell me why he's such a good FS??

Please list all the attributes he could bring to the table in pass coverage......the NFL is passing league ...more than ever....

Im leaning towards Morgan Burnette or Nate Allen in round two if theyre on the board...

I've said it to many times to recall, but one more surely won't hurt. Taylor Mays screwed up not coming out his junior year. Why ??

Not because his flaws were amplified, but rather EVERY SINGLE player in his junior secondary along with every starting linebacker and some d-lineman left. He came into his senior season with a brand new group on almost the entire defense. He was expected to carry the load and it was simply to much to be expected of any one player. Do you honestly think he's going to have that issue in the Bengals secondary ?? I can't envision that by any chance. It's simple, look what he did with a conhesive unit up until his senior season. THAT is what Taylor Mays is about and what he would be about in a VERY good Bengals secondary, while learning from a 5 time pro bowl player in Williams. He won't be expected to step into the spotlight and lets not forget Roy Williams is on a one year contract.

Here's another for you. If Taylor Mays is a Roy Williams clone and Mike Zimmer says Roy Williams is the "PERFECT FIT" for our defense, why wouldn't we want Taylor Mays (faster, younger, same skill set) to be the one to replace him ??

I never saw where Zimmer said Williams was the "perfect" fit in his system...only that Roy was a good saftey that he was familiar with...

Do you honestly think Roy Williams has any effectiveness in passing downs anymore????

The NFL is adopting more and more rules to favor offenses and aside from pass rushers all teams should stock up on Dbacks that can cover..

Im sorry I just dont see this as a Mays attribute.... he can load the box and stop the run Im sure but on passing situations he'll be

another Ndukwe in many instances....

Lewis and Zimmer want safties that are interchangeable.. easier said than done imo...

what they really need is safties that can tackle BUT can cover......

Would you have a problem with the center from Florida in round one and a Burnette or Allen in round two if they were on the board??

You get one of the best Olinemen and still get a decent cover safety to boot.. Just my thoughts

and I welcome yours

So just because Taylor was a FS means he can't move to SS?Because most people see him as a replacement for Roy not Crocker...

As for Crocker yes we need to get someone to develop behind him hence I think it was Hair who pointed out we very well could take two safeties in the draft.

Lewis and Zimmer want safties that are interchangeable.. easier said than done imo...

what they really need is safties that can tackle BUT can cover......

Really thats what they want?That's why we brought Roy in last year?

Zimmer said he welcomes people who can hit we have two great cover corners a FS who can cover so it allows someone like Roy or Mays to go for those big hits.

The other thing is because we have Roy for one more year Mays won't be rushed in to the starting line up and will Coyle who has been one of our best position coaches and Zimmer a former DB couch the chance to work with him

PS,I have no problem with going Oline I just see that as more plan B or C for rnd 1 :P

I never saw where Zimmer said Williams was the "perfect" fit in his system...

Keep checking because that's exactly what he said. I should know because I waited weeks and months to make a decision about Mays fit with the Bengals. Because, like you, I was unsure about which type of safety Zimmer would prefer to build around or even if their was a future role here for a traditional SS.

The NFL is adopting more and more rules to favor offenses and aside from pass rushers all teams should stock up on Dbacks that can cover

I read the same earlier remarks from Zimmer and apparently came to the same mistaken conclusions you have. Or rather, I now believe them to be mistaken after hearing Zimmer call Roy Williams a perfect fit for the Bengals scheme.

“We wouldn’t have signed him last year and we wouldn’t have brought him back if we didn’t think he showed us something,” Zimmer said. “He’ll hit you. We were just watching the Denver game (the ’09 opener) and he laid out about three or four guys. He played well in the games he played. You need guys that can hit like that. Roy. Maualuga. It makes those guys think twice about coming over the middle.”

-Zimmer

“I know he’s the sole person that really was rooting for me to come to the Cincinnati Bengals and the one that was in my corner for having them bring me back,” Williams said. “There’s a little bit of added pressure, but I’m used to the pressure from Zim and I know what he expects out of me. And I know that when I step out on that football field I’m trying not for just my teammates, but I’m going out there playing for Zim.”

-Roy

That has to be one of the dumbest mocks I've seen this year. I've seen better ones done by drunk fans. What about CJ Spiller? Does anyone really think he'll last that long? If he is do the Bengals grab him?

That has to be one of the dumbest mocks I've seen this year. I've seen better ones done by drunk fans. What about CJ Spiller? Does anyone really think he'll last that long? If he is do the Bengals grab him?

Bengals take CJ and remain one dumbest mocks ever,But I doubt he lasts that long I would think Texans would be a favorite being they have no running backs with upside and didn't go after anyone in the draft.

The fact that Spiller is still around at the Bengals pick is dumb enough. Personally I don't see how Seattle passes on him twice. The Bengals have much bigger needs but if he were still around when the Bengals pick you could easily make a case that he's the best player available

All I see is that Zimmer said Roy showed them something....he was a hitter.....

Whatever.....

I suppose Ndukwe isnt in their long term plans at SS then.....

I would think the team might consider getting a FS to backup Crocker in case he goes down and to eventually replace him as well...

Two safeties in this draft??? a possibility with 9 total picks....

I just dont see all the hoopla about Mays as he seems to be a one trick pony in that he hits but really

is a liability in passing situations....

Ok ill quit beating a dead horse here...

Thats just my two cents on Mays.....and it probably isnt worth even that much

Price isn't even the best DT available at that slot, Odrick is better. Heck for the Bengals I would even prefer Cody over Price who has shown he is unathletic and has a game that really doesn't fit the pros. Yes he is strong and uber productive but he is not particularly quick and doesn't have the frame to get bigger (as Odrick does) and it isn't exactly like the PAC10 had great Tackle, Guard or Center Prospects the only pro prospect he competed against this year that carries a better than 4th round grade in this draft is Charles Brown and against USC he had 4 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 QB Pressures not exactly a remarkable performance, and this includes the game against Tennessee which had one prospect graduating this year carrying a draftable grade (a solid 6th round prospect).

Give me Mays, Spiller, Odrick, Cody, Gresham, Bryant over Price in that draft.

IMHO they simply have to find someone who can step in for Roy Williams this year or next. But as much as I'm a fan of Mays being able to do just that...he doesn't have to be the pick. Nor does he have to be the only safety selected. Because I admit there are less expensive ways to fill that position and I continue to wonder if Mays will truly be the BPA at #21.

But again, I'm good with the idea of picking Mays at #21. Because I think he belongs in the debate and if he's the choice I'm satisfied the coaching staff can develope him into an impact player.

IMHO they simply have to find someone who can step in for Roy Williams this year or next. But as much as I'm a fan of Mays being able to do just that...he doesn't have to be the pick. Nor does he have to be the only safety selected. Because I admit there are less expensive ways to fill that position and I continue to wonder if Mays will truly be the BPA at #21.

But again, I'm good with the idea of picking Mays at #21. Because I think he belongs in the debate and if he's the choice I'm satisfied the coaching staff can develope him into an impact player.

Oh I agree with you on the idea if the team decides he's the best choice at #21 to fill the SS void in the future Im good with it..

I believe Zimmer has alot of influence on player acqusitions be it draft or ortherwise now and if he thinks Mays can play SS or FS in his system I wont dispute his call...