Who's going to fall to the Bengals?

I love Golden Tate also. He's the surest WR in this draft, IMO. He may not have the highest ceiling or be the biggest guy but you know what you're getting every week. With all that said though, I wouldn't draft him in the first round b/c I feel we can get a WR in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd.

Sure, you could get a WR in the 2d or 3d round, or the 4th,5th, or 6th. The rub is getting the right receiver. A guy like Golden Tate might be too good to pass up at #21.But then, you could say that about other guys at other positions. It will be interesting to see who falls on draft day.It would be hard to pass up guys like Earl Thomas,Bryan Bulaga,Mike Iupati,or Rob Gronkowski.Whatever. I just hope there's no reaching for a perceived need player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I am now thinking Dez Bryant does in fact represent the highest ranked player that could actually fall to us as well.

I've been working on a mock draft up to the Bengals pick in the first and think there is a possibility of this happening.

He may go to the Broncos, but if he doesn't, he could go into a free fall and if he does, he certainly represents the BPA.

Here's the NFL.com 4.0 mock.

This has us taking Mays.

/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81714d0c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Regardless, this team is going to land a stud and a day one difference maker. I'd be ok with Mays or Thomas but as far as immediate impact, Bryant would be the better pick. So I definately agree with you guys.

To be honest, I am now thinking Dez Bryant does in fact represent the highest ranked player that could actually fall to us as well.

I've been working on a mock draft up to the Bengals pick in the first and think there is a possibility of this happening.

He may go to the Broncos, but if he doesn't, he could go into a free fall and if he does, he certainly represents the BPA.

Ya though if Byrant is sitting there at 19 & 20 I'm sure the Steelers & Texans phones be ringing with teams wanting to jump us.

PS,Though how funky would be 2011 :P our starting WR"s are Byrant & Byrant :P does dez take 18? ^_^

Ya though if Byrant is sitting there at 19 & 20 I'm sure the Steelers & Texans phones be ringing with teams wanting to jump us.

PS,Though how funky would be 2011 :P our starting WR"s are Byrant & Byrant :P does dez take 18? ^_^

The nice thing for us is, we aren't "targeting" him and if someone does in fact jump us to get him, we simply move on to the next BPA.

This is the first year in a long time that I can say I'm ok with that being the case. I simply don't see to many players I feel the need to give up picks to move up in the first to go get. If the Bengals organization does, then fine, but I just don't see it from where we are sitting at #21.

You mean like the Jets? Again? Stole Revis and Shonn Greene from us in past drafts.

Dez Bryant would be a terrific "get" for the Bengals. Earl Thomas intrigues me because he is a terrific cover safety,ballhawk, and playmaker who could also help fill the need for a Nickel corner upgrade.If the only one of these elite guys to fall to #21 is Iupati, I'd try to find some team slavering for the guy and willing to give us a 2 and a 3.

I like Earl Thomas, i just see way too much playmaker in him. He is the type of safety we need. If we do re-sign Roy(which I hope we do)would you really want another safety,Mays,who cant cover? The would leave us three who couldnt cover and would leave holes in the secondary.

I don't see Earl Thomas being a "pure" saftey in the NFL. I see him as a versatile combo guy who can play Safety or CB, but not excelling at either...besides, at 5'10" 195lbs, our starting CB's are both bigger than him.

Another big drawback, the guy only played 2 years. I seriously doubt he will come in and be NFL ready. I would EASILY take Taylor Mays over Earl Thomas...Give me a 4 year starter and 3 time All-American who is 6'3" 235lbs, runs a 4.3 40 and will knock your f'n teeth out.

For the record, Mays can cover. He got a bad rap on a defense that had lost a lot of talent to the NFL, and had tried to change the way they used him. What? All of a sudden, after 3 years of playing well in coverage, he can't cover anyone as a Senior? Not buying it...Watched him damn near every game the past 4 years.

Also, Mays is NOT like Roy Williams. Roy NEVER had Taylor's speed. Roy was a liability in coverage due to his lack of speed. Not a problem with Mays. You can teach technique, but YOU CAN'T TEACH SPEED !

I'd be happy with Taylor Mays in Rd 1.

One point I wanna make...

Mays 4 year starter, had a 5 INT's for his whole career.

Thomas, 2 year starter, had 10 INT's for his career.

Give me a ballhawk...

Give me a guy who will knock people the f**k out, make the sure tackle, and has CRAZY closing speed that gets him to the ball carrier/receiver faster than the LB's who are lined up closer.

Troy Polamalu has 20 INT's in 7 seasons = 2.85 avg per season.

Bob Sanders only has 6 INT's in 6 seasons = 1 INT avg per season.

Also, keep in mind the role Mays played in the USC defense. FYI he did have 3 INT's as a freshman.

Well with Idea of Byrant,Mays & Thomas being gone starting warm up to idea maybe a Linebacker or can rush the passer or End who moves to linebacker ala pollack :P

One point I wanna make...

Mays 4 year starter, had a 5 INT's for his whole career.

Thomas, 2 year starter, had 10 INT's for his career.

Give me a ballhawk...

How many Balls did Thomas Knock out by sheer force of his hit? How many Wide Receivers were Afraid they were going to be TKO'd by thomas? Mays has his own strengths just like Thomas does...Don't get me wrong I would love to have Thomas but really doubt he'll even be there because of his ability to cover Quite few teams before us need a FS & CB and he serves as both

PS,Though people only look at INT numbers :P Thomas is also winning Forced Fumble stat 5-1,

I think the reason people could see Thomas falling to and possibly by the Bengals is due to him being "Thin Framed". I think many scouts may look at him and wonder if he will hold up in the NFL. I suppose hitting the weight room would certainly help, but many people looking for a starter right away may have their concerns.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have any ill feelings hearing his name called, only what I've seen, heard, and read from a scouting perspective.

If you want to open a new can of worms: What if a stud D-Lineman falls to us at #21. A JPP or Derrick Morgan....or Carlos Dunlap. I bet the great redeemer would like a crack at Dunlap. :wacko:

Bucky Brooks' 4.0 mock on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/d...ts&confirm=true

Has us taking Earl Thomas

He also has Ndamukong Suh going #6 overall to Seattle. No way he drops that far. Bucky's an idiot.

People think he'll be gone 3# but at the same time we really don't know maybe a team doesn't value a DT that much,How many 1st round DT's do we have in Marvin Lewis Era?

Well, if we are talking about the thread title in someone "falling" to us, I think you take out the people that are slated to go anywhere within 3 picks of us. I'm just saying, that's not really falling to us if they are suppose to go there. Dez Bryant still represents the best shot of a player that falls anywhere from where his talent level might suggest he gets drafted. That's not to say it will happen, only giving my thoughts.

Dunlap ?? Heck, many don't have him going until the 2nd round now. DT ?? Not sitting at #21, I wouldn't be happy. I simply don't see anyone that special, as it was worded earlier.

Dez Bryant still represents the best shot of a player that falls anywhere from where his talent level might suggest he gets drafted.

I've seen several mocks where both Mays and Bryant fall to us. The consensus is that we take Bryant in that scenario.

Dez Bryant still represents the best shot of a player that falls anywhere from where his talent level might suggest he gets drafted.

I've seen several mocks where both Mays and Bryant fall to us. The consensus is that we take Bryant in that scenario.

The Crappy offense has me lean towards Byrant yet my man love for Mays... j/k

• 2 weeks later...