Who's going to fall to the Bengals?

The scouting combine is almost over. Who has the BEST chance of falling to the Bengals?

I was really impressed by the safeties. Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, and Taylor Mays all looked good. Thomas or Mays might fall to us at 21.

Dez Bryant should fall. Joe Haden had a bad runtime today and may fall a bit. The Iupati hype has died down, though I do like him. The OT Coleman from MD should jump significantly after his workout.

My guess is Dez Bryant and Earl Thomas will be there. Bryant because of his character questions and Thomas because of his in-between measurables. I'd still take Iupati, as well, and I think he'll be there at 21 too.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dez Bryant will not be there...I can pray every night but he won't fall into our laps. If he does, then he is far and away my #1 choice but since I'm realistic I am hoping Taylor Mays and/or Earl Thomas drop to us even though this is a deep year for safeties and we could get one in the middle rounds, I would like one of their calibers to come in day 1 and start. IMO, wide receiver is in the our top 2 needs but we can easily fill the need with equal value in the 2nd round instead of reaching at #21. Same thing for the tight end position but for the middle rounds. I wouldn't mind improving our overall talent at the OG position and Iupati looks head and shoulders above every other guard and if all the other aforementioned players are off the board then I certainly would mind drafting another American Samoan.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816b3cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

This has McClain going at #9. Dez Bryant going at #26.

Someone, a stud, will fall to us at #21. I'd take McClain or Thomas or Mays...or Iupati.

I'd like to see Thomas fall...personally.

What about Golden Tate? Am I the only person that likes Tate? Yeah, I'd take him too.

I love Golden Tate also. He's the surest WR in this draft, IMO. He may not have the highest ceiling or be the biggest guy but you know what you're getting every week. With all that said though, I wouldn't draft him in the first round b/c I feel we can get a WR in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd.

Bruce Cambell from Maryland is the next in a long line of combine studs to fall on their face in the NFL IMHO.

Give me Mike Iupati - OG Idaho, Rolondo McClain - ILB Alabama, Brandon Spikes - ILB Florida, Jared Odrick - DT Penn State, Jermain Gresham - TE Oklahoma (though I think he will fall to us in the 2nd), Carlos Dunlop - DE Florida, Jason Pierre-Paul - DE South Florida (likely gone before 21), Dan Williams - DT Tennessee, I would even take Terrance Cody - DT Alabama though I am betting he will drop to the second as well....but mostly I would like Brandon Marshall for our 1st and the first of our thirds (we will very likely get a comp 3rd rounder for losing T.J.), and taking which ever TE drops to us in the 2nd, Gresham, Hernandez, or Gronkowski.

I am not sold on any WR in the first, IMHO there is just as much chance that a guy like Danario Alexander from Missouri is a pro bowl player in the 5th or 6th round as there is with Golden Tate or Dez Bryant. Nervous about Bryant's work ethic the buzz about him is that he is cronicly late for meetings.

Mays is an enigma he really struggled last year, he was not the dominent playmaker last year he was as a Junior or a Sophomore. He certainly has all the tools but there have been questions about his football intelligence and at safety you cannot have that.

This has McClain going at #9.

That's possible I guess, but if I'm the GM of Buffalo there's no way I draft a MLB when considering the other needs that team has.

Dez Bryant going at #26.

Again, anything is possible but IF Bryant does fall hard...wouldn't #21 be his soft landing spot?

Someone, a stud, will fall to us at #21. I'd take McClain or Thomas or Mays...or Iupati.

I've tried my hardest to fall in love with Iupati, but all I can seem to muster is lukewarm interest. To be fair, I don't hate the idea od drafting him and if he's the pick I'll probably fall in love with his vast potential instantly. But of all of the prospects included in the debate at #21 I can't shake the feeling that he, much like Taylor Mays, aren't safe picks.

I'd like to see Thomas fall...personally.

I think I agree.

Am I the only person that likes Tate? Yeah, I'd take him too.

I couldn't pull THAT trigger despite being very impressed by his combine performance. In fact, if Tate were the only player from the debate who was available I'd focus soley on defensive prospects...including CB.

Bruce Cambell from Maryland is the next in a long line of combine studs to fall on their face in the NFL IMHO.

Give me Mike Iupati - OG Idaho, Rolondo McClain - ILB Alabama, Brandon Spikes - ILB Florida, Jared Odrick - DT Penn State, Jermain Gresham - TE Oklahoma (though I think he will fall to us in the 2nd), Carlos Dunlop - DE Florida, Jason Pierre-Paul - DE South Florida (likely gone before 21), Dan Williams - DT Tennessee, I would even take Terrance Cody - DT Alabama though I am betting he will drop to the second as well....but mostly I would like Brandon Marshall for our 1st and the first of our thirds (we will very likely get a comp 3rd rounder for losing T.J.), and taking which ever TE drops to us in the 2nd, Gresham, Hernandez, or Gronkowski.

I am not sold on any WR in the first, IMHO there is just as much chance that a guy like Danario Alexander from Missouri is a pro bowl player in the 5th or 6th round as there is with Golden Tate or Dez Bryant. Nervous about Bryant's work ethic the buzz about him is that he is cronicly late for meetings.

Mays is an enigma he really struggled last year, he was not the dominent playmaker last year he was as a Junior or a Sophomore. He certainly has all the tools but there have been questions about his football intelligence and at safety you cannot have that.

I agree completely, this is the year to trade our 1st and a 3rd without batting an eye. Our biggest need is wide receiver and if we trade for Brandon Marshall you are getting the best wide receiver in the game IMO, that has it all and he's only 25 or 26. No wide receiver drafted at #21 will do that and I agree that a tight end will fall to us in the 2nd.

We won't do it and it will end up biting us in the ass b/c he'll prob. end up in Baltimore.

Also, I would love to draft Javier Arenas in the 3rd or 4th to start at nickel immediately and be the 3rd head of our cornerback monster. I haven't heard anyone talk about him and I just wanted to show him some love.

Avoid Iupati...

Ok maybe I shouldn't say "avoid" but buyer beware is a better option. The guy does not have great feet and holds A'LOT.

I like Earl Thomas, i just see way too much playmaker in him. He is the type of safety we need. If we do re-sign Roy(which I hope we do)would you really want another safety,Mays,who cant cover? The would leave us three who couldnt cover and would leave holes in the secondary.

I also like Gresham. Who cares the guy didnt run a 4.1x40. He's a possesion TE. He plays well in big games. He makes plays. Watch the film, this guy is a player. Yes I know we have Coffman who I love. But it seems like Marvin gave up on him before we even drafted him. I hope he can make it, but I dont like our coaches history in developing talent(see Jerome Simpson)

I also like Gresham. Who cares the guy didnt run a 4.1x40. He's a possesion TE. He plays well in big games. He makes plays. Watch the film, this guy is a player. Yes I know we have Coffman who I love. But it seems like Marvin gave up on him before we even drafted him.

I also like Gresham, the guy has decent TE speed, but is tough, runs well after the catch, and is a TD machine....We don't need a TE that runs a 4.3 40 because we won't be sending our TE's on Go Routes...Aside from blocking, all the TE has to do is find seams, get open , and catch. Gresham does all of these things well, and he runs hard/tough after the catch. The guy is a TD Machine (Did I mention that already?)

I'm not saying for sure draft the guy in the 1st Rd, it depends who is gone by that point. If Dez, Taylor Mays, Iupati are all gone, I say take him instead of reaching on an inferior WR, S, or OL. If we take a TE, this is the ONLY guy I want. The others aren't nearly as good....period.

Who has the BEST chance of falling to the Bengals?

Isn't that an Oxymoron?

It sort of is, yeah. Who is MOST likely to fall to the Bengals that we wouldn't expect?

The oxymoron police are out...jeez. Good catch.

;)

That was my attempt at sarcastic humor. It wasn't a very good one. But, yeah you were right. That was the point I was trying to make.

I also like Gresham. Who cares the guy didnt run a 4.1x40. He's a possesion TE. He plays well in big games. He makes plays. Watch the film, this guy is a player. Yes I know we have Coffman who I love. But it seems like Marvin gave up on him before we even drafted him.

I also like Gresham, the guy has decent TE speed, but is tough, runs well after the catch, and is a TD machine....We don't need a TE that runs a 4.3 40 because we won't be sending our TE's on Go Routes...Aside from blocking, all the TE has to do is find seams, get open , and catch. Gresham does all of these things well, and he runs hard/tough after the catch. The guy is a TD Machine (Did I mention that already?)

I'm not saying for sure draft the guy in the 1st Rd, it depends who is gone by that point. If Dez, Taylor Mays, Iupati are all gone, I say take him instead of reaching on an inferior WR, S, or OL. If we take a TE, this is the ONLY guy I want. The others aren't nearly as good....period.

I like Gresham too...what about Earl Thomas? He might just be there at #21.

I like Earl Thomas, i just see way too much playmaker in him. He is the type of safety we need. If we do re-sign Roy(which I hope we do)would you really want another safety,Mays,who cant cover? The would leave us three who couldnt cover and would leave holes in the secondary.

I don't see Earl Thomas being a "pure" saftey in the NFL. I see him as a versatile combo guy who can play Safety or CB, but not excelling at either...besides, at 5'10" 195lbs, our starting CB's are both bigger than him.

Another big drawback, the guy only played 2 years. I seriously doubt he will come in and be NFL ready. I would EASILY take Taylor Mays over Earl Thomas...Give me a 4 year starter and 3 time All-American who is 6'3" 235lbs, runs a 4.3 40 and will knock your f'n teeth out.

For the record, Mays can cover. He got a bad rap on a defense that had lost a lot of talent to the NFL, and had tried to change the way they used him. What? All of a sudden, after 3 years of playing well in coverage, he can't cover anyone as a Senior? Not buying it...Watched him damn near every game the past 4 years.

Also, Mays is NOT like Roy Williams. Roy NEVER had Taylor's speed. Roy was a liability in coverage due to his lack of speed. Not a problem with Mays. You can teach technique, but YOU CAN'T TEACH SPEED !

I'd be happy with Taylor Mays in Rd 1.

Avoid Iupati...

Ok maybe I shouldn't say "avoid" but buyer beware is a better option. The guy does not have great feet and holds A'LOT.

I also like Gresham. Who cares the guy didnt run a 4.1x40. He's a possesion TE. He plays well in big games. He makes plays. Watch the film, this guy is a player. Yes I know we have Coffman who I love. But it seems like Marvin gave up on him before we even drafted him. I hope he can make it, but I dont like our coaches history in developing talent(see Jerome Simpson)

That's the problem, you tell me to "watch the film" but he didn't have any for last year. Who's to say he is the same player?

Not everyone recovers from that injury...he may never be as good as he was 2 years ago. Plus, the tight end position is Supa deep this year and we have Chase so we're not desperate.

That's the two things for me to avoid Gresham.

#1. Coming off a worse injury than what Chase was.

#2. The TE position is VERY deep.

Just no reason to take that type of risk in the first when the drop off isn't substantial through the top 4-5 TE's.

Chase or no Chase, there's just no reason for that type of risk.

I don't see Earl Thomas being a "pure" saftey in the NFL. I see him as a versatile combo guy who can play Safety or CB, but not excelling at either...besides, at 5'10" 195lbs, our starting CB's are both bigger than him.

Another big drawback, the guy only played 2 years. I seriously doubt he will come in and be NFL ready. I would EASILY take Taylor Mays over Earl Thomas...Give me a 4 year starter and 3 time All-American who is 6'3" 235lbs, runs a 4.3 40 and will knock your f'n teeth out.

For the record, Mays can cover. He got a bad rap on a defense that had lost a lot of talent to the NFL, and had tried to change the way they used him. What? All of a sudden, after 3 years of playing well in coverage, he can't cover anyone as a Senior? Not buying it...Watched him damn near every game the past 4 years.

Also, Mays is NOT like Roy Williams. Roy NEVER had Taylor's speed. Roy was a liability in coverage due to his lack of speed. Not a problem with Mays. You can teach technique, but YOU CAN'T TEACH SPEED !

One point I wanna make...

Mays 4 year starter, had a 5 INT's for his whole career.

Thomas, 2 year starter, had 10 INT's for his career.

Give me a ballhawk...

One point I wanna make...

Mays 4 year starter, had a 5 INT's for his whole career.

Thomas, 2 year starter, had 10 INT's for his career.

Give me a ballhawk...

If I had to chose between Mays and Thomas, I'd take Thomas. If he's gone and Mays is there I'd be ok with Mays. For some reason, though, I still see the Bengals taking a TE or WR in the first. It just seems to be a more bengal-like move.