Morgan Burnett Thoughts?

Kazkal

I actually like him a lot, too. He does remind me of Madeiu Williams, but I think he's much better in coverage than Williams is. Burnett is another guy that'll need a strong Combine, but I see him as an early 3rd round pick, and probably a little rich for the Bengals in Round 2.

That's perfectly fine with me. Madieu was one of my favorite players when he was healthy.

I actually like him a lot, too. He does remind me of Madeiu Williams, but I think he's much better in coverage than Williams is. Burnett is another guy that'll need a strong Combine, but I see him as an early 3rd round pick, and probably a little rich for the Bengals in Round 2.

That's perfectly fine with me. Madieu was one of my favorite players when he was healthy.

Same,His Injurys were only real downside but was overall good player for us and be happy have a player like him on roster.

He's the third best free safety prospect in the draft behind Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. He doesn't have elite speed, but he's a ball-hawk and is also good against the run. He could actually go as high as number 18 to Pittsburgh depending on how he does at the combine.

No thanks. Not a real smart player. Not instinctive. Not fundamentally sound. Kind of erratic. I wouldn't want him for more than a backup.

Morgan Burnett

S, Georgia Tech

Weaknesses: Is an inconsistent player who struggles to produce to the level in which he is capable. Despite flashing aggressiveness in run support, Burnett is often late coming up. He's a bad tackler due to poor technique. Tends to stay upright and reaches to bring his man down rather than wrap him up. Has not shown the ability to stop ballcarriers short of the first down when necessary.

Bottom line: Burnett has the athleticism, speed and explosiveness to test well at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he has a long way to go before he will be a consistent starting safety. He should be able to contribute on special teams while he adjusts to the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan Burnett

S, Georgia Tech

Weaknesses: Is an inconsistent player who struggles to produce to the level in which he is capable. Despite flashing aggressiveness in run support, Burnett is often late coming up. He's a bad tackler due to poor technique. Tends to stay upright and reaches to bring his man down rather than wrap him up. Has not shown the ability to stop ballcarriers short of the first down when necessary.

Bottom line: Burnett has the athleticism, speed and explosiveness to test well at the NFL Scouting Combine, but he has a long way to go before he will be a consistent starting safety. He should be able to contribute on special teams while he adjusts to the NFL.

What? Morgan Burnett has no strengths? Only "weaknesses" and a "bottom line"? Seriously, Morgan Burnett is a talented ballhawking safety who can play either strong or free. He's just the kind of player the Bengals need in their secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan Burnett

S, Georgia Tech

Good thing we have starters and what we really need is a high potential guy to develop behind them.

Not to be funny, but with Roy signing another one year deal, they need to draft a player that can start next year. I just don't see the point in waiting to get a safety in the later rounds when they are going to need more than a season to figure out what the hell is going on. If the Bengals don't take safety in the first 2 rounds, I would be really surprised unless there are other players there they simply can't pass on. If that happens, then a trade down would be nice as well assuming they can find a willing participant.

From a Free Site, NFL Draft Scout which is now part of CBS Sportsline.

"Analysis

Read & React: Reliable instincts for the position. Diagnoses the play and accelerates quickly to the ball, showing little wasted motion. Understands his role as the last line of defense and takes good angles to limit the damage.

Man Coverage: A bit high in his backpedal, but can flip his hips to turn and run with receivers. Changes direction quickly enough that he was often asked to drop down as a nickel cornerback and appears to have the fluidity and break on the ball to do so at the next level. Good hand strength to press at the line of scrimmage. Keeps his hands on the receiver at the start of his route to disrupt timing with the quarterback. Quick, active hands to fight with the receiver as the ball arrives. Good ball skills (14 career INTs).

Zone Coverage: An alert zone defender, Burnett understands his role and the role of his teammates. Recognizes holes in the zone and is quick to react. Sneaks a peek back at the quarterback and breaks on the ball quickly. Has the straight-line speed and agility to change direction necessary in being a true centerfielder in three-deep coverage and the range for two-deep.

Closing/Recovery: Sneaks a peek into the backfield to read the quarterback's eyes. Generates speed quickly out of his breaks and shows a late burt to close. Locates the ball quickly and competes for the jump ball. Highpoints the ball and has the body control and strength in his hands to come down with the contested interception.

Run Support: Willing and active in run support. Attacks the line of scrimmage, but will take questionable angles to the ball and is too often forced to re-direct at the last moment and latch on for a drag-down tackle, rather than applying a forceful pop. Willing to take on blockers, but prefers to elude and make the tackle himself.

Tackling: Flashes some pop as a hitter. Can be an intimidating presence over the middle. Often leads with his shoulder rather than wrapping up. Generally a reliable wrap-up open-field tackler. Takes questionable angles when coming down in run support, forcing himself to lunge and latch on to the ballcarrier attempting to cut back against him. Has the strong, accurate hands to grab hold for the pull-down tackler, but this is an area in which he could improve. Stronger NFL runners will be able to break away from his arm tackles.

Intangibles: Elected to leave early despite what some characterized as a "disappointing" 2009 season. Signed with Georgie Tech as a highly touted prep prospect. Received offers from Alabama, Florida and Georgia. First career touchdown came on an INT return against 2009 No. 1 draft pick Matthew Stafford in 2008. "

A Good Balanced evaluation, he is a solid second round guy at this point, if the Bengals want him it will have to be at 54.