Bengals have the 21st pick in the draft

icehole3

Nice to see I can spend a week away and things haven't changed much... As for what a TE can or can't do for an offense, it's always an assumption said team will use that TE appropriately. I simply don't have faith this will happen and can't envision Gresham, who is coming off a worse injury than Coffman was coming into the draft, as being worth the risk with our lone 1st round pick. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying DON'T take a TE, I'm simply saying take one later.

Bottomline, the Bengals have to find the closest thing to a "sure thing" with as little risk as possible in the first. They have a few fairly large holes that MUST be filled with an impact player that will be a starter from day one. There are many options in the first that wouldn't bother me to be quite honest. It should be fun...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much movement in ye olde mockosphere over the past month...

/>http://stripehype.com/2010/02/24/pre-nfl-combine-cincinnati-bengals-mock-draft-big-board/

Gresham still out in front, Benn in second, yadda, yadda, yadda. Taylor Mays getting a bit of a bump ahead of the combine. Colt McCoy makes an appearance. :lol:

I'm seriously less and less concerned about getting a certain player in any of the rounds. I've looked at players in all the positions of need (by my thoughts and in no order) WR, TE, S, OG, DE and could even include an OLB and regardless of where you take any of those positions, there appears that we will still be able to find players in those positions without much thought.

I'm finding it very hard to simply plug a name in a round while putting together another mock simply because there are so many options.

At least it appears that way to me...

Well I'd be happy with Most positions in any round...I'd still be sad if We Passed on Mays or Earl THomas for a Linebacker harhar.

I'd crap myself if we could get Taylor Mays....I just don't think he'll fall that far, especially after he runs at the combine. That said, I definitely not use a 1st Rd pick on Earl Thomas...In my opinion he is the 3rd best Saftey in the draft...and a distant 3rd...His coverage skills are good for a safety, I just think he may be a tweener in the NFL. Not a great Safety, Not a great CB, but decent at both. He's not that big 5'10" 195lbs. There has been talk that he might be able to play CB...

Worst case scenario for Mays, if he doesn't work at Saftey, he could make one hell of a WLB, they could move Rey to MLB, and Rivers to the strong side.....Urlacher was a hell of a Safety in college, and was moved to MLB in the NFL(although thats one of the few successful transitions) but Mays is fast, he has the size, and we know he can lay some wood.

Well I'd be happy with Most positions in any round...I'd still be sad if We Passed on Mays or Earl THomas for a Linebacker harhar.

I'd crap myself if we could get Taylor Mays....I just don't think he'll fall that far, especially after he runs at the combine. That said, I definitely not use a 1st Rd pick on Earl Thomas...In my opinion he is the 3rd best Saftey in the draft...and a distant 3rd...His coverage skills are good for a safety, I just think he may be a tweener in the NFL. Not a great Safety, Not a great CB, but decent at both. He's not that big 5'10" 195lbs. There has been talk that he might be able to play CB...

Worst case scenario for Mays, if he doesn't work at Saftey, he could make one hell of a WLB, they could move Rey to MLB, and Rivers to the strong side.....Urlacher was a hell of a Safety in college, and was moved to MLB in the NFL(although thats one of the few successful transitions) but Mays is fast, he has the size, and we know he can lay some wood.

Say no to Mays. I see WAY too much Darnell Bing in this guy. He has no ball skills, and can't cover ANYONE. I can see Mays being one of those guys that ends up dropping to the third round. Watch the tape and watch it closely. This guy is a HUGE RISK.

And as for .Earl Thomas being too small; Ed Reed is only 5'10 190 lbs. and one of the best safeties in the league. Not the best tackler, but like Thomas has great ball skills. Thomas would be an EXCELLENT first round selection. But my heart is leaning toward Gresham

Say no to Mays. I see WAY too much Darnell Bing in this guy. He has no ball skills, and can't cover ANYONE. I can see Mays being one of those guys that ends up dropping to the third round. Watch the tape and watch it closely. This guy is a HUGE RISK.

And as for .Earl Thomas being too small; Ed Reed is only 5'10 190 lbs. and one of the best safeties in the league. Not the best tackler, but like Thomas has great ball skills. Thomas would be an EXCELLENT first round selection. But my heart is leaning toward Gresham

I kind of think Mays gets a bad wrap...he wasn't asked to cover at USC, it doesn't mean he can't but you comparing him to Bing is fair.

I completely agree with your assessment of Earl Thomas, I would love to get him but I bet anything he doesn't get past the Texans right before us if not earlier.

I was pimping Gresham but he didn't look great at the Combine at all running a 4.75 and struggling to catch the ball. Plus, the way Marvin has been pimping Chase Coffman makes me wanna at least give him one more year before we think about replacing him. Also, the way Brat uses tight ends doesn't make me wanna use a 1st round pick on one...plus it is such a deep draft for tight ends and none of them deserve to be 1st round pick imo but if they fell to us in the 2nd I would grab one.

I kind of think Mays gets a bad wrap...he wasn't asked to cover at USC, it doesn't mean he can't but you comparing him to Bing is fair.

I completely agree with your assessment of Earl Thomas, I would love to get him but I bet anything he doesn't get past the Texans right before us if not earlier.

I was pimping Gresham but he didn't look great at the Combine at all running a 4.75 and struggling to catch the ball. Plus, the way Marvin has been pimping Chase Coffman makes me wanna at least give him one more year before we think about replacing him. Also, the way Brat uses tight ends doesn't make me wanna use a 1st round pick on one...plus it is such a deep draft for tight ends and none of them deserve to be 1st round pick imo but if they fell to us in the 2nd I would grab one.

I like Mays' swagger and his run support ability, and I'd compare him to the current day Roy Williams, ironically. He's strictly a two-down player. Conversely, Gresham is a player who probably won't be playing on running downs early on.

Earl Thomas?

It's obvious that some of you haven't really watched him play. He's only a RS SOPH, who he's a guy who might have the most upside of any player in this draft. This dude has some of the most incredible ball skills and instincts I've ever seen on a DB (maybe only Reed better at S), and was a First Team All-American this past season. I believe he had something like 10 INTs and 5 FFs in 27 career games at Texas, which is major production in a big-time conference. He's smallish, but very physical for his size, and exactly the kind of guy that Coyle was talking about he needed this time last year as a player who has CB skills and can play S. In fact, he's roughly the same size as our current starting FS in Chris Crocker. He'd be an immediate upgrade there, and give us more depth at the position. The only negative I can find on Thomas is that he does have a tendency to freelance and not follow his assignment at times, but many of the all-time greats at S (Reed, Sharper, Dawkins, etc.) have that tendency, too.

Admittedly, I'm hoping he has a bad Combine performance, so we'll even have a shot at getting him.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU

Earl Clocked in at 208 LBs not bad at all being 5'10,I don't think he's a SS for us but I think you could very easily move Crocker over to SS if Thomas fell in our laps....

PS,I see Steelers snatching him up(Need FS & CB help) If not Texans (let's hope spiller is available for them)