Offseason Moves/Priorities/Draft a WR

mgi

After tonight, we need to take the best WR available, and NO PROJECTS!

Why the the hell did we take Simpson over DeSean Jackson?

Chad is getting old. And the young ones are no better than being a nickel receiver.

Sorry if the draft topic is too soon.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a big time WR. Need a pass rusher...especially if Antwan Odom isn't going to be the same player after his injury.

Other than that, try to keep all they key players, look forward to the young players getting better, look forward injured players coming back, and hope chase coffman can play.

I remember screaming at the television when we passed on DeSean Jackson. I am probably biased towards Pac 10 players being out here at Arizona State and and watching them play all the time in person, but here is what I just don't understand...

At the time, Marvin Lewis and the Bengals made it clear how they were looking to find an impact player in the punt/kick return game and had considered taking Devin Hester the year before, and talked about that quite a bit. Then, Jackson falls right in their laps, he fills both needs, a returner and a WR, and they pass on him for Jerome Simpson. What the hell???

-Fire Brat & Offer Ravens a 6th rounder for Hue Jacksons services

-I'd Say Fire Mike Sheppard too he really hasn't done anything as WR couch...See if Chads Juco coach wants to be a WR couch.

-Resign Zimmer giving him """ANYTHING"""" he wants

-Resign Cook,Mathis,Tank,Brandon Johnson & Roy Williams(1 or 2 year deal for cheap)

-Extend Joseph and then Hall

-Find out Whats Wrong with Carson and Target a Solid Vet with the Understanding He'll get a shot if he's the best option.

-Make a Move in Free Agency Some big name WR's & Tight Ends will be available and it helps open up the draft.

Now for what Will Happen

-Brat & Mike Sheppard will keep their jobs.

-Zimmer is the new DC of the Redskins unless he gets a HC job

-Cook & Mathis get RFA tenders and probably walk the following year because their interior line

-Well won't resign Joseph of right away Tag him one year and Let him & Hall become a FA at the same time.

-Carson is our Queen Bee and his Backups we'll remain the same.

-We'll sign acouple of Free Agents that no one else wants and Not having Zimmer more likely be horrible CHoices.

PS,Draft some Speedy Defensive Ends the Elephants aren't getting it done :|

Yep, I remember thinking the same thing when they passed on Jackson, but must admit at the time thinking Limas Sweed was going to be a pretty good NFL WR as well, so I was incorrect there to.

Yeah I thought Sweed would've been unstoppable, but you know he would of been a better choice than Simpson. He has been active more than him!

-Fire Brat & Offer Ravens a 6th rounder for Hue Jacksons services

-I'd Say Fire Mike Sheppard too he really hasn't done anything as WR couch...See if Chads Juco coach wants to be a WR couch.

-Resign Zimmer giving him """ANYTHING"""" he wants

-Resign Cook,Mathis,Tank,Brandon Johnson & Roy Williams(1 or 2 year deal for cheap)

-Extend Joseph and then Hall

-Find out Whats Wrong with Carson and Target a Solid Vet with the Understanding He'll get a shot if he's the best option.

-Make a Move in Free Agency Some big name WR's & Tight Ends will be available and it helps open up the draft.

Now for what Will Happen

-Brat & Mike Sheppard will keep their jobs.

-Zimmer is the new DC of the Redskins unless he gets a HC job

-Cook & Mathis get RFA tenders and probably walk the following year because their interior line

-Well won't resign Joseph of right away Tag him one year and Let him & Hall become a FA at the same time.

-Carson is our Queen Bee and his Backups we'll remain the same.

-We'll sign acouple of Free Agents that no one else wants and Not having Zimmer more likely be horrible CHoices.

PS,Draft some Speedy Defensive Ends the Elephants aren't getting it done :|

Here's my take:

Dr.Bratkowski and Shep recieve extension

Zimmer leaves for Washington. Jim Mora Jr. hired as D Cord.

Re-sign Cook,Mathis, Livings.

Hall get's re-signed

Target Leftwitch or Curtis Paitner as backup QB's

Sign some 300 pound 37 year old defensve ends.

Mike Brown refuses to sign the FA's we need because it is an uncapped year and lets high priced players go.

I remember screaming at the television when we passed on DeSean Jackson. I am probably biased towards Pac 10 players being out here at Arizona State and and watching them play all the time in person, but here is what I just don't understand...

At the time, Marvin Lewis and the Bengals made it clear how they were looking to find an impact player in the punt/kick return game and had considered taking Devin Hester the year before, and talked about that quite a bit. Then, Jackson falls right in their laps, he fills both needs, a returner and a WR, and they pass on him for Jerome Simpson. What the hell???

The reason why they passed on Jackson was, at the time the NFL was in love with BIG WR's....still are, and Jackson was about the smallest WR you could find (Generously listed at 5'10" and about 170lbs prior to the draft) There were durability concerns about his slight frame. 6 WR's were selected in the 2nd Round ahead of him. Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, James Hardy, Eddie Royal, and Jerome Simpson. Eddie Royal, and Donnie Avery both at 5'11" 185 lbs had stronger frames, and everybody else was over 6'2". I believe that they didn't want another Peter Warrick, and that's why they passed on him for a larger WR like the 6'2" Simpson.

Here's what Willie Anderson was tweeting yesterday

WillAnderson79 This is my last Tweet on Football tonight! Bengals Fans Go outside Staduim With Hue Jackson Signs for OC! He is QB coach for RAVENS!

4 minutes ago from txt

WillAnderson79 Marvin wanted to hire him last year but Marvin found out at last minute that he couldn't fire any coaches on offense! Hue was WR coach i ...

3 minutes ago from txt

WillAnderson79 Hue Was WR coach for Bengals in 05! As A lineman I hate to say but this league is about QB's and protecting them!

2 minutes ago from txt

JohnThornton @WillAnderson79 damn willie LOL.

3 minutes ago from twidroid in reply to WillAnderson79

WillAnderson79 @JohnThornton Just saying the truth dog! They need Hue Jack! You know that too! He's our boy yeah but damn good coach!

less than 10 seconds ago from txt

WillAnderson79 @JohnThornton It just piss me off that I played with Carson Palmer and we couldn't put a dynamic team around him man less than 20 seconds ago from txt

Having read this my first move of course would be, fire Brat. Doesnt know how to work the TE into an offense no ability to create misdirection and with him having pictures on Mike Brown it's the only reason why he's been able to stay this long. Brat IMO, ever since I saw the Hard Knocks, it hit home, he talks down to Marvin and he IMO thinks he's smarter than everyone, I'll go grab the piece and youtube that mutha where he's going "come on Marvin what are you doing, what are doing" while the film is running. A OC must be brought in who knows how to draw up a play action 10 yard pass to the TE at least.

Another move would be to draft a eventual successor to Palmer, I dont know if he's feeling pressure to be like the elite QBs but he is crapping out bigtime, he gagged all day yesterday, how do over throw little seven yard pass plays, those were 3 step drops, youve gotta hit those, I dont want to hear he didnt have time or the weather this and that, those were little 7 yard outs from a 3 step drop, he choked, so either get your frigging elbow fixed or have a good old fashion QB controversy.

Dhani, must be moved. In Zimmer's defense the MLB has to cover TEs and RBs and he cant so he must come out on 3rd down, every big play down the stretch involved him getting beat by a RB or TE giving him 1 fake and then running free for a gashing 40-50 yard romp.

Graham cut him and franchise someone else, dont draft anyone, there's always 3 or 4 kickers capable of doing what he does either coming out of the draft or an old washed kicker like him sitting on the couch

I see kicker like punter I think team is well enough off they can spare a pick to get the top kicker vs just what ever street urchin that lands in their lap...As for what Willie said I hope it happens Hue was a great WR couch and been a good QB couch in Baltimore he's a Marvin guy and I think that would help vs Brat who he was forced with...

I still have Friends on team. Players and 1 Coach! I talk to them every week! I feel bad fore them but still can't believe they played t

I find it interesting that he doesn't say coaches but "1 couch" wonder whi is Marvin? Jim Anderson? Can't be brat! ^_^

PS,God Brat or Paul Alexander are so going to be our next Couch,Zimmer will get out of town this year Marvin will refuse to extend and more likely bale next year then we'll be stuck with Brat as a headcoach & Paul as a OC >_<

After tonight, we need to take the best WR available, and NO PROJECTS!

Why the the hell did we take Simpson over DeSean Jackson?

Chad is getting old. And the young ones are no better than being a nickel receiver.

Sorry if the draft topic is too soon.

the have drafted some our staff is just to stupid to develop them. how in the hell do u take 1 in the 2nd round never play him? keep him on the roster? only the bengals. 2. how do u draft the most prolific receiving te, in the history of ncaa d1 football? and he never see's the field? only the bengals!

My fear is that Mike Brown will look at this year and say it was a success and feel that no changes are needed for 2010. That would be a huge mistake.

An absolute "must change" for this team is its offensive coordinator. This team's offensive woes go beyond injuries, schemes and even seasons. This O has been woeful for 3 years now. Marvin will say that they got back to basics and decided to do one thing well: run the ball.

Well, OK, if you're going to be unimaginative and predictable then you'd better be flawless in that specialized area and the Bengals weren't. They still could not execute a boring playbook well. They led the league in offensive penalties. They jumped offsides, they held they had delay of games...This all reflects on the OC. They have a lot of money tied up in offensive players. This O should be better.

On the passing side of the ball, Carson is locking onto one receiver way too much and Bratkowski did a horrible job "getting receivers open". Yesterday Sanchez looked at one receiver like you'd expect a rookie to do and generally he had some wide open guys to throw to. They threw some new plays at us. What new play did you see from the Bengals?

Far amd away this is the most important change for 2010 and if MB and Marvin don't see it let's hope Carson does. I hope Carson makes it loud and clear that he wants no part in a dink and dunk offense. That might be our only hope for change.

How in the hell do u take 1 in the 2nd round never play him?

Better question is, how do you not know he's to stupid to be developed ??

How do u draft the most prolific receiving te, in the history of ncaa d1 football and he never see's the field?

Injuries suck. Coffman never recovered from the fractured foot at the end of his college career.

I am looking forward to seeing Coffman next year fully healthy.

Am I the only person here that thinks the Bengals offensive line needs a significant upgrade? They did an admirable job run blocking this year and I give them credit for this. But as far as the passing game goes, I think they were a big part of the problem. The wide receivers struggled too but every time Carson dropped back to pass I held my breath. Hell it's not like they need to be a top 5 offensive line, but I would be happy if they were in the top half of the league. Look at what the Jets O-Line did and how they controlled 2 straight games. Hopefully Smith can live up to his top draft pick status and that would go a long way.

Losing T.J. last offseason I knew was going a big hit, but it ended up being a much bigger deal than I even thought. If we can address those two areas we have the pieces to still be a great offense.

I cringe when I hear them say we are this kind of team now. We play field position, control the clock, and play to our defense. Damn, is there some rule in place saying you can't be explosive and have a great defense too. Cedric Benson is a beast and he needs to be fed the ball but we don't have to be so damn predictable in how we go about it.