Texas Won

Kazkal

Damn that must have given Cinci,TCU & Husker fans blue balls....OMG TIME IS OUT ....nope 1 second left >_<

PS,Just further shows why college needs a playoff system 5 very good unbeaten teams 3 of them are going to get snuffed...

Yes. I don't see how anyone could defend the current system. Don't see it. UC, TCU, Boise St. All undefeated. Not good enough. Why don't we just come out and say that unless you are in the SEC, Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, or ACC, you can't win a National Championship? Hell, make it like European soccer leagues...or add another division to NCAA football....do something! A team plays their schedule and wins every game they SHOULD get a CHANCE to play for it all. Bull**it...complete bull**it.

The NCAA is sitting on the solution to this problem and the solution would result in a sports event that would eclipse March Madness and maybe even the NFL playoffs. The entire country would go nuts. Do something about it.

Damn that must have given Cinci,TCU & Husker fans blue balls....OMG TIME IS OUT ....nope 1 second left >_<

PS,Just further shows why college needs a playoff system 5 very good unbeaten teams 3 of them are going to get snuffed...

Yes. I don't see how anyone could defend the current system. Don't see it. UC, TCU, Boise St. All undefeated. Not good enough. Why don't we just come out and say that unless you are in the SEC, Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12, or ACC, you can't win a National Championship? Hell, make it like European soccer leagues...or add another division to NCAA football....do something! A team plays their schedule and wins every game they SHOULD get a CHANCE to play for it all. Bull**it...complete bull**it.

The NCAA is sitting on the solution to this problem and the solution would result in a sports event that would eclipse March Madness and maybe even the NFL playoffs. The entire country would go nuts. Do something about it.

This season is bound to expose the BCS for what it really is...a contrived farce.

This season is bound to expose the BCS for what it really is...a contrived farce.

And the proof to allowing a playoff system was substaniated in Utah's win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and Boise State's win against Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Let the teams decide who is best on the field. The "small teams" have something to show. It's been proven on the field.

In fairness, the BCS was one second and a 46 yard field goal away from admitting either TCU or Cincinnati into the title game. Using this circumstance to argue against it makes little sense.

How so? Texas Loses & Ya Cinci,TCU or Boise would have gotten a shot maybe but 2 teams still would have gotten screwed...

In fairness, the BCS was one second and a 46 yard field goal away from admitting either TCU or Cincinnati into the title game. Using this circumstance to argue against it makes little sense.

How so? Texas Loses & Ya Cinci,TCU or Boise would have gotten a shot maybe but 2 teams still would have gotten screwed...

"Screwed" only by arguable definition.

Some think that going undefeated isn't enough to automatically afford certain teams a strong chance at a national championship berth. It's not just the worth of the teams in question, it's the accomplishment of the teams in question. Cincinnati, TCU, and Boise St. going undefeated is a bit less impressive than Texas or Alabama going undefeated, considering their more competitive opponents throughout the season. Note that I said "more competitive" and not "better" (though they are). The SEC and Big 12 are generally more consistent conferences, in that the best team is closer in worth to the worst team, than are the MWC or the WAC (I do however think the Big East can argue such consistency).

It's very easy to ask for a playoff system that'd allow this question to be answered on the field a bit more authoritatively. Still, questions remain on that front that are bothersome to me. If, for instance, eight teams are given a playoff berth -- how are they determined worthy? I should hope not just by winning conferences or any sort of poll rankings -- or what is gained? The exact same dilemma exists. The selection process in college basketball is usually free of criticism only because it allows 65 teams to participate -- a number far too massive for a football postseason.

I don't have a major issue with the BCS. I think generally that the widespread rage constantly directed at the BCS is understandable, but misguided. The focus is always on the wrong problem. The BCS is simply the namesake and product of a much more frustrating and longer lived problem -- the polls.

Relying on humans to accurately rank the top teams in college football is indefensible, since every year it becomes increasingly clear that humans don't know a damned thing about a damned thing. Blame them for saddling onto the same teams and conferences year in and year out, refusing adamantly to give less renown programs a realistic opportunity at noteworthy success. The BCS truly improves upon the decisions made by humanity by adding non-human elements, based in statistics and mathematics. Those things don't lie, they can only inadvertently deceive.

Do I think things could be better? Absolutely. Eliminate the useless garbage polls altogether first and foremost. I think every option I've seen presented is flawed in pretty visible manners, but one I like some is this:

Send to a playoff the conference champion of each and every division one conference. Then, add wildcard teams from what are currently the BCS conferences based upon regular season record and then the standard series of tiebreakers like those used in the NFL. Compile 16 teams and play down to one. I'd consider supporting a computer grading system akin to the old BCS to determine those tiebreakers, just to keep that unique and progressive concept alive.

Curiosity struck, and I decided to see which teams might take part in such a playoff scenario.

Conference champions:

Alabama

Texas

Oregon

Ohio State

Georgia Tech

Cincinnati

East Carolina

Texas Christian

Central Michigan

Troy

Boise State

Leaving five wild cards, based on regular season record:

Florida

Iowa

Penn State

Virginia Tech*

Louisiana State*

*win a "tiebreaker" I didn't actually figure over Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Miami, Oklahoma State, and Wisconsin... all of whom were 9-3 overall.

That could be cool. Seed them via a BCS type formula and go from there.

Indeed, the SOS is a bit of a bugger but just seed the teams on that basis, problem solved. It might actually stop some of these teams from padding there records with creampuff schedules. The NCAA lurve money and they think by keeping the established powerhouses at or near the top will give them more money. I think a playoffs system, which will contain many of those same traditional powers yr after yr, will bring them in even more money. Everyone is happy and on-field performance would be the deciding factor of the NT once again (if SEC refs are kept out of officiating any games).

Yeah, Texas won, but looking at the final BCS rankings, had they lost the Bearcats would have been in the Title game, as they leap frogged TCU.

Oh well. I like the BCS bowl matchups and most figured Florida was going to win that game and had Texas actually lost, we would have the same matchup they drew for their bowl game. I just want to see how they stack up. Should be fun...

It's incredibly frustrating that were it not for three abnormal occurences in the final two minutes of that game, the Cincinnati Bearcats would be playing in the National Championship Game.

I haven't followed any college team closely for a few years, I'd lost interest. The Bearcats reinvigorated some of that this year, and that kickoff out of bounds by the Nebraska douche was just gut wrenching. How can you do that?

John Kasay rests easier this week.

The biggest joke in the BCS this year is the TCU/Boise State match up. The reason neither of these teams would be in the National Championship is because no one respects their Strength of Schedule. So... now the winner of this game proves nothing.

Seeng how TCU played against Florida could have meant something. If Boise State had been in a bowl with UC and won, it would have started to make people believe that the Oklahoma win wasn't a fluke and that non-BCS teams can hold their own against the big boys. But this match-up... it's bulls**t. The winner will prove nothing, because they didn't beat a real BCS team.

Agree that the Boise St. TCU matchup is complete crap. What the hell were they thinking when they put that heap of sh*t together ??

Furthering it will be when the preseason polls come out and neither of them are in the top 10 because (as Hair says) wait for it, they didn't play anybody to warrant them being ranked that high. Only in the BCS could this goat f*ck be looked upon as a good thing.