Notre Dame Signs Kelly

skyline

Looks like possible good news for UC fans. Gilyard and others are saying that Kelly told the players he was staying put.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4717051

Also, the local news station here in Nashville is reporting that Stoops will be named the new coach on Monday. Kind of shocking since Stoops said earlier today that was definitely NOT leaving Oklahoma. But, here's hoping...

http://twitter.com/WKRNsports

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be good for both programs I think if that came to pass. Honestly, if Kelly can get in the right DC and just one or two playmakers on the D, then s**t, we're talking about a genuine NT shot with that offense of his.

They must have thrown an insane amount of money at Stoops if he does go there. Ok is hardly a small program and recruiting is much easier, plus he's earning a ton as it is.

Aye, it would be a shame. Some continuity and Cincy could own the BE for the next decade and slowly work themselves into a position where the national media and coaching bias couldn't overlook them any longer. The same goes for the Patterson(?) guy at TCU.

ND is a wasteland in every sense anyway. As for these supposed academic standards they have (like they're f**king Johns Hopkins!), I dunno. I just heard Golden Tate at a PC and I'm not sure he knew where he was.

Aye, it would be a shame. Some continuity and Cincy could own the BE for the next decade and slowly work themselves into a position where the national media and coaching bias couldn't overlook them any longer. The same goes for the Patterson(?) guy at TCU.

ND is a wasteland in every sense anyway. As for these supposed academic standards they have (like they're f**king Johns Hopkins!), I dunno. I just heard Golden Tate at a PC and I'm not sure he knew where he was.

Brian Kelly has the potential to become THE coach at UC...a Bear Bryant, a Woody Hayes. He has no potential for that at ND. If Kelly goes to Notre Dame he will fade away into mediocre obscurity. ND is not what it once was.

A couple of things. I love what Brian Kelly has done for the Bearcat program and think he's one hell of a coach. I also think his loss would have a pretty significant impact on the future of the team. All that being said, I don't think it's so simple to just say he won't do sh*t in Notre Dame or why would he want to go there. Look what he's done for UC and I'm suppose to believe he couldn't do the same in South Bend ?? While I don't think it would help him that Tate and Claussen wouldn't be there next year (declared early), he would have the chance to right the ship of an organization that can put an absolute ass load of cash into his pocket. A storied program at that.

If he can go into Notre Dame and bring that school back to a contender, he would be loved like no other.

I'm not a fan of Notre Dame, just saying it's not as easy as claiming he wouldn't do sh*t there.

Here's to hoping he stays put !!!

I hope he realizes that ND has become the place that talented/promising coaches have gone to die as of late.

Hope he stays put, another Ohio team that is solid would only make the Buckeyes better in the long run. Maybe it could lead to another big rivalry game for them both.

I wouldn't say he has no chance of winning or being successful at ND, but I think he has a better chance at it with UC. College football isn't what it used to be. Hell, he's already the coach for a back to back BCS bowl team and a NC contender! How does ND give him a better chance? Or is it the money?

ND is no longer a top tier desired place for kids to go play at. There are tough grade requirements that will keep some of the more talented players out especially the JUCO players.

Other schools have just as good, if not better facilities.

ND doesn't even get alot of players drafted anymore.

Also, if I'm 18 years old I'm not signing to play in NE Indiana at a strict academic Catholic school. Maybe that's just me but send me somewhere else. I've got plenty of other options.

I agree Hokie. In fact, it's one reason why in a period of depression and new levels of suck for my Canes (keep in mind we have very few facilities and not even our own stadium) we've still got a handful of very good players yr after yr. I heard from one recruit's mouth a couple of yrs ago why he chose Miami over WVU and FSU - "I have a better chance of going pro playing here". It was an honest answer at least. He didn't give a flying you-know-what about anything else really. No NTs or family atmosphere or even gaining a tertiary education.

So many reasons players choose schools and ND will always get one or two blue-chippers from Cali but considering the facilities and stature the college has, that really isn't enough. Plus they'll have to relax their Juco players/tansfer policy and basically, lower their academic standards if they want to get in more than a handful of blue-chippers at any one time.

I think BK could turn ND around for sure but it won't take 5 yrs. It'll take longer than that and they might not get over the hump fully and win that elusive NT with the current restrictions of the program in the current CFB landscape. This isn't the mid-70's anymore, there a whole lot more 'big programs' out there hoovering up players - kids who don't really care about history.

Again, is it so hard to believe he would have success at ND or is it people simply don't want to see him go ?? I find it hard to understand how anyone can say how great of a coach he is and then claim he couldn't have success in a place like ND. I mean didn't he do the same thing here ??

Here's another look at why I believe he could EASILY turn things around in Notre Dame, addressing kids wanting to play at ND vs. Cincinnati.

In the past years, Notre Dame's recruiting classes have been ranking accordingly:

2006 #8

2007 #8

2008 #2

2009 #21

And to this point for the 2010 season #12

Compare that to Cincinnati's recruiting classes over the same time frame:

2006 #102

2007 #89

2008 #67

2009 #60

And to this point for the 2010 season #44

Kelly's drafting classes have continued to improve, but he has been making the most out of coaching up his players. There's just no way to think he couldn't do the same coaching with recruiting classes that are better than what he's seen while in Cincinnati. With the money ND can throw at him, the better recruiting classes, and the chance to turn around that particular program, I find it hard to believe that ND would be anything BUT a good place for him to go.

All of that being said, I hope he decides the Skyline chili is to much to leave behind and he stays put.

I hear you AB. They say more about potential than reality. I think it's down to perception and the realities living with those perceptions entail. Cincy had it's first undefeated season in what, 4 or 5 decades this yr?

Miami has been 17th, 9th, 1st, 7th & 13th in recent recruting yrs. We're just now, beginning to turn the corner and that's a couple of yrs away from being properly turned. Then all we have to do is go undefeated to get a shot at the NT. That's 6 yrs right there. Plus, real half-wit idiots are admitted to the Miami, OSU, UM, USC etc football programs and given nice creampuff degrees in history of farts and sunshine so they can say look - they all graduated. Admittedly the cupboard was bare after 2004/2005 and ND is strong on one side of the ball at least.

I agree with you that BK, given a solid decade could get that program turned around and make it into an annual contender yr on yr. 5 yrs from now, if they haven't had a sniff of a NT game, his seat will be hot and unfortunately it would only be in the 3rd/4th/5th recruiting class (or 5/6/7 yrs in) of his that things would really take off. One yr or even one cycle of strong classes won't bring you sustained success and yet that is what ND faithful, stuck in the late 80's, seemingly demand.

BK will get ND to 9 wins pretty easily I should imagine, he's a far better coach than Weis. Improving that D will take work though, not being funny here, but the last D star they had was Zbikowski FFS. The D needs at least a couple of strong recruiting classes to become respectable.

With the other programs having much stronger teams and coached by pretty good coaches themselves, the chances that there will be 2 or 3 undefeated teams each yr are pretty high. Where does that leave ND, even if they go undefeated? It leaves them having to schedule stronger teams to get given the nod over the Texas and USC programs of this world and that means facing the Texas and USC programs who have just as much, if not more, talent that ND ever could hope to have with their academic admission policy and no or very limited transfers etc. That's not to say BK couldn't win those games but doing all that in 4 or 5 yrs? I dunno, the odds are stacked against him. And if it takes him longer than 5 yrs or so then I fear the rumblings will begin. It's nowhere near as easy a job to turn around a historic program, IMO. You're always burdened by history and the clock begins ticking the second he gets there. Plus, I've gained a real affection for the Bearcats and would love to seem how far he could take them.

Still, if he does take the job, it'll be very interesting to see him get to work.

ND is no longer a top tier desired place for kids to go play at. There are tough grade requirements that will keep some of the more talented players out especially the JUCO players.

Didn't several top USC recruits (one being a Samoan Linebacker who I can't remember his name) Snuff USC to go to ND? So it would seem like they still can draw in players more so if they had a Coach who turned cinci in to a National Championship contender.

Kelly's drafting classes have continued to improve, but he has been making the most out of coaching up his players. There's just no way to think he couldn't do the same coaching with recruiting classes that are better than what he's seen while in Cincinnati. With the money ND can throw at him, the better recruiting classes, and the chance to turn around that particular program, I find it hard to believe that ND would be anything BUT a good place for him to go.

& Army wins the thread ^_^

The last time UC won a conference title before Kelly was Minter in 2002 and in that season, Minter was 7-6.

The seasons following that, the Bearcats went:

2003 5-7

2004 7-5

2005 4-7

2006 8-5

The seasons under Kelly:

2007 10-3

2008 11-2

2009 12-0

What did Kelly do so much different while building a 33-5 record ?? Next is, with better recruiting classes, I still don't understand why people think Kelly will simply fade away into obscurity, never gaining any type of success. Honestly, I think his results speak volumes and Notre Dame will be drooling at the thought of attaining his services.

I think Kelly will be a success if he goes to Notre Dame, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one...

Not trying to "win", simply saying I don't understand the thought that Kelly wouldn't do well in Notre Dame simply because of the past coaches that have done poorly there. I think it's people just unwilling to think about a Bearcat program without him and what that might mean to the program in the future. It's easier to say he shouldn't go there because he would fail, so he should stay in Cincinnati. Sorry, I'm just not buying that.

It's always about doing a good job and keeping your options open and there's no way to fault Kelly, but if he takes the job, I'm sure there will be another group claiming he wasn't really that good of a coach.

Again, is it so hard to believe he would have success at ND or is it people simply don't want to see him go ?? I find it hard to understand how anyone can say how great of a coach he is and then claim he couldn't have success in a place like ND. I mean didn't he do the same thing here ??

Here's another look at why I believe he could EASILY turn things around in Notre Dame, addressing kids wanting to play at ND vs. Cincinnati.

In the past years, Notre Dame's recruiting classes have been ranking accordingly:

2006 #8

2007 #8

2008 #2

2009 #21

And to this point for the 2010 season #12

Compare that to Cincinnati's recruiting classes over the same time frame:

2006 #102

2007 #89

2008 #67

2009 #60

And to this point for the 2010 season #44

All of that being said, I hope he decides the Skyline chili is to much to leave behind and he stays put.

I don't put too much stock in the despairity of those rankings. However, I will agree that Kelly may have a better nose for finding the RIGHT players for his system than just finding talent. And by no means am I saying that he's not a good coach, a good recruiter, or not going to have any success.

I'm not talking about Brian Kelly as much as I am talking about the environment of ND. UC was a good place for him to continue doing basically what he was doing at C. Michigan. Smaller, lesser school that nobody gives a sh*t about. Under the radar.

I guess I just get the feeling, and backed up with the fact that ND has been mediocre the last 21 years, that it's going to be harder to get ND to where UC is. ND is not going undefeated and they are not contending for the NC. Not when you constantly have a target on your back for every game, every year.

I might be wrong but I don't see Brian Kelly doing anything more than being a top 11-20 team at ND.

Not trying to "win", simply saying I don't understand the thought that Kelly wouldn't do well in Notre Dame simply because of the past coaches that have done poorly there. I think it's people just unwilling to think about a Bearcat program without him and what that might mean to the program in the future. It's easier to say he shouldn't go there because he would fail, so he should stay in Cincinnati. Sorry, I'm just not buying that.

It's always about doing a good job and keeping your options open and there's no way to fault Kelly, but if he takes the job, I'm sure there will be another group claiming he wasn't really that good of a coach.

Again, I can respect the facts you have listed. I'm referring more to the intangibles of environment and pressure that exist at ND....and I have a harder time backing up with hard facts.

Oh I think Army is correct and I think BK can turn that program around and will have success. Just not enough to meet the insane expectations that most (and a majority of ND fans do) demand. He'll get them back to being ranked week in week out, top 20 probably and maybe even top ten. Winning a NT is hard enough, all things being equal, and at ND they are not equal. He will be at a disadvantage compared to the opponents he'll be competing with for a NT. Right now, ND fans will happily grab being ranked week in and week out in the top 25. 5 yrs from now, and a NT remaining as elusive as ever, things will rapidly change. The Willingham/Wies 6-6 yrs will be a distant memory but the 70's and 80's will still be fresh in the minds of most.

Best of luck to him though if he takes the job, and it seems likely he will. Why the hell not, his ego (meant in the best sense) probably relishes the challenge and the bump in pay certainly won't hurt.

I agree with Pidge in the sense that most ND fans think they should win right away. All the ones I've known seem to have a sense of entitlement, so sure, I can see that being a concern for Kelly. If he does stay at UC, I will have the utmost respect for the guy, because I think Notre Dame will throw everything at him.

I did hear UC is trying to put a package together for him to return and hopefully that just bridges the gap enough to make the move seem less appealing.

Brian Kelly has the potential to become THE coach at UC...a Bear Bryant, a Woody Hayes. He has no potential for that at ND. If Kelly goes to Notre Dame he will fade away into mediocre obscurity. ND is not what it once was.

It's possible. It's just as possible that he fade into mediocrity at UC. He's had a couple really good seasons coaching up some decent players. There is the potential that he could become to UC what Paterno is to Penn State. But there is also a possibility that since UC is still nowhere near a contender for the nation's top talent, he's reached his pinnacle. Remember, this is the same conference that showcased very short term hype for teams like Rutgers and Louisville.

So... a chance to coach someplace that does attract top talent, and is able to pay the head coach a king's ransom - well, he'd be stupid not to at least listen to what they have to say.

It's possible. It's just as possible that he fade into mediocrity at UC. He's had a couple really good seasons coaching up some decent players. There is the potential that he could become to UC what Paterno is to Penn State. But there is also a possibility that since UC is still nowhere near a contender for the nation's top talent, he's reached his pinnacle. Remember, this is the same conference that showcased very short term hype for teams like Rutgers and Louisville.

So... a chance to coach someplace that does attract top talent, and is able to pay the head coach a king's ransom - well, he'd be stupid not to at least listen to what they have to say.

If the man is going after money, then that is his decision and I respect it. I just don't see him having any more of a chance to win more at ND than at UC.

Someone answer this: We've seen all of the stats that say ND has higher rated recruiting classes than UC. What happens when Brian Kelly can't produce back to back BCS bowl berths? What happens when it takes Brian Kelly 2-3 years to be a top 10 team?

There's a different environment and pressure at ND that is not there at UC. It's a huge difference and I think it plays a major factor in the success of that program...good or bad.