The AFC playoff picture

jjakq27

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They first need to win a game. From what i have seen they tend to hurt themselves each and every week instead of winning the ball game.

Meh. Play like we did today against the Chiefs and we'll smash them.

Maybe, but this penalty crap is getting out of hand. Can you imagine what they could have done today without all them stupid penalties.

How about redzone offense, pathetic once again what if they scored TDs instead of field goals!

If they allow the Chiefs to stay in the game, they just might not win.

After the way the played against the vikes and the way they played for alot of todays game i dont really know who this team is. It can be a good team who tends to shoot themselves in the foot more then anything i have seen.

They first need to win a game. From what i have seen they tend to hurt themselves each and every week instead of winning the ball game.

Meh. Play like we did today against the Chiefs and we'll smash them.

you mean putting the ball on the ground when we where close to the redzone. or just playing lazy terrible defense and let them walk down the field for the game winning fg? or how about the illegal contact on 2nd and 18? fact is our mistakes have killed us more now than ever!

Not sure how many good reps the offense is going to get against the Jets anyway. I doubt they will get any confidence going into the playoffs in that game. That defense is impressive. Anyway... I can make arguments either way. I was just curious what people thought.

The offense came out disciplined against Baltimore afterthe bye week, and Carson noted that he thought having that week off was a huge advantage. Just a thought.

Yup. 9-7 and (probably) out of the postseason is still quite possible if they don't pull their heads out of their butts. Especially on offense, they still make too many mental mistakes, and there are still too many "WTF?" play calls. And now this week brings Henry's funeral, which takes them way out of their usual routine. I can easily see a letdown next Sunday.

Yup. 9-7 and (probably) out of the postseason is still quite possible if they don't pull their heads out of their butts. Especially on offense, they still make too many mental mistakes, and there are still too many "WTF?" play calls. And now this week brings Henry's funeral, which takes them way out of their usual routine. I can easily see a letdown next Sunday.

I am a Bengals fan.

I expect a letdown this Sunday.

And will be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

Bengals havent played like a playoff team since they went 7-2.

We havent beaten another team in the AFC except AFC north teams.

Is Sundays game sold out?

I think this team needs to build a little momentum - Or I see a one and done. The wild card team they may if they make the playoffs will be bringing momentum into that game.

http://www.nfl.com/s...G&split=Overall

2. San Diego (11-3) (5-1 Div.)

12/25 @ Tennessee (7-7)

1/3/10 Washington (4-10)

3. New England (9-5) (4-2 Div.)

12/27 Jacksonville (7-7)

1/3/10 @ Houston (7-7)

4. Cincinnati (9-5) (6-0 Div.)

12/27 Kansas City (3-11)

1/3/10 @ NY Jets (7-7) (last game played at Giants Stadium)

5. Baltimore (8-6) (6-4 Conf.) (3-2 Div.)

12/27 @ Pittsburgh (7-7) (1-0 vs. Pitt)

1/3/10 @ Oakland (5-9)

6. Denver (8-6) (6-5 Conf.) (3-2 Div.)

12/27 @ Philadelphia (10-4)

1/3/10 Kansas City (3-11)

7. Jacksonville (7-7) (6-4 Conf.) (3-3 Div.)

12/27 @ New England (9-5)

1/3/10 @ Cleveland (3-11)

8. Miami (7-7) (5-5 Conf.) (4-2 Div.)

12/27 Houston (7-7)

1/3/10 Pittsburgh (7-7)

9. NY Jets (7-7) (5-5 Conf.) (2-4 Div.)

12/27 @ Indy (14-0)

1/3/10 Cincinnati (9-5)

10. Pittsburgh (7-7) (4-6 Conf.) (1-4 Div.)

12/27 Baltimore (7-7) (0-1 vs. Balt.)

1/3/10 @ Miami (7-7)

11. Tennessee (7-7) (4-7 Conf.) (2-4 Div.) (1-1 Head-to-Head vs. Hou.)

12/25 San Diego (11-3)

1/3/10 @ Seattle (5-9)

12. Houston (7-7) (4-6 Conf.) (1-5 Div.) (1-1 Head-to-Head vs. Tenn)

12/27 @ Miami (7-7)

1/3/10 New England (9-5)

There are some great match-ups in the AFC this weekend...........

Friday 12/25

San Diego (11-3) at Tennessee (7-7)

Sunday 12/27

Jacksonville (7-7) at New England (9-5)

Denver (8-6) at Philadelphia (10-4)

Baltimore (8-6) at Pittsburgh (7-7)

Houston (7-7) at Miami (7-7)

NY Jets (7-7) at Indianapolis (14-0)

Anyone else notice that all the games this week fell almost perfectly for Pittsburgh to squeeze into the playoffs?

They don't control their own fate just yet, but with Denver, Jacksonville, and the NYJ all facing likely losses next week... they have a good shot.

I'm going to the first playoff game in Cincy - and if they face the Steelers, I'm going to be out of my mind!

Anyone else notice that all the games this week fell almost perfectly for Pittsburgh to squeeze into the playoffs?

Well, except for Baltimore, right? The Squeels are still 3rd in the division, so the head-up game this weekend will be key for both teams. Personally, I suppose I'm hoping for Pitt to win in order to ice the division, but if we beat KC, that really wouldn't matter anyway. So, because there's the possibility of maybe playing either team, the question becomes which would you rather face. I think I'd rather host the Ravens, but mainly because we play them better and I'm still nursing nightmares of January 2006. That said, I'd generally rather see a team from outside the division because teams within the division tend to wash out the difference in records.

They are still the tenth team on the list. I think the Ravens are in and I think one of the other 7-and-7's get in like Miami or NY Jets ahead of Denver for the second spot. But it wouldn't surprise me if Pittbsurgh manages to get in there instead.

Pittsburgh doesn't match up well in tie breakers. They'll have their hands full playing in Miami in the finale.

I don't want to play either Balt or Pitt a third time. Any other team looks better in a January game at PBS, Miami, Jacksonville, Denver or the Jets

It could very well end up with 3 AFC North teams in the playoffs.

It could happen. However, I think there's at least as good a chance that there will only be one, Cincinnati.

Earlier this year, someone here noticed the way that AFCN teams were sagging the week after a division matchup because of the way these squads just beat the crap out of each other when they meet. I expect the game between Pitt and Balti this weekend to be the mother of all this year's AFCN brawls, after which the Steelers finish the season in Miami, while the Ravens have to haul all the way out to Oakland.

In short, it isn't hard for me to envision a scenario in which the Steelers win this weekend, and then both they and the Ravens lose in the final week to finish .500 and out of the playoffs.

It could happen. However, I think there's at least as good a chance that there will only be one, Cincinnati.

Earlier this year, someone here noticed the way that AFCN teams were sagging the week after a division matchup because of the way these squads just beat the crap out of each other when they meet. I expect the game between Pitt and Balti this weekend to be the mother of all this year's AFCN brawls, after which the Steelers finish the season in Miami, while the Ravens have to haul all the way out to Oakland.

In short, it isn't hard for me to envision a scenario in which the Steelers win this weekend, and then both they and the Ravens lose in the final week to finish .500 and out of the playoffs.

Here is what I hope- or am gonna root for.

Pitt Beat Balt - both 8-7 (both 6-5 afc record)

jax beat NE - 8-7 with 7-4 afc record (cleveland last game)

Denver beat philly(im not scared of Denver at all) Pretty much locks up wild card with kc at home the final week.

Then jax and denver take care of business on week 17 and pitt and balt can win in the final week and both be out.

That what ill be rooting for - but i know it will not come true. somehow we end up playing baltimore in first game, beat them. Beat san diego then go home against Pittsburgh in afc championship game. Freezer bowl 2. Shut them out 23-0.

We go 8-0 in afc north!!

Cant predict the super bowl. Im not that good.

I like your thought process. I'll take it.

Reposted and updated with divisional records included

http://www.nfl.com/s...G&split=Overall

2. San Diego (11-3) (5-1 Div.)

12/25 @ Tennessee (7-7)

1/3/10 Washington (4-10)

3. New England (9-5) (4-2 Div.)

12/27 Jacksonville (7-7)

1/3/10 @ Houston (7-7)

4. Cincinnati (9-5) (6-0 Div.)

12/27 Kansas City (3-11)

1/3/10 @ NY Jets (7-7) (last game played at Giants Stadium)

5. Baltimore (8-6) (6-4 Conf.) (3-2 Div.) (1-0 head-to-head vs. Denver)

12/27 @ Pittsburgh (7-7) (1-0 vs. Pitt)

1/3/10 @ Oakland (5-9)

6. Denver (8-6) (6-5 Conf.) (3-2 Div.) (0-1 head-to-head vs. Baltimore)

12/27 @ Philadelphia (10-4)

1/3/10 Kansas City (3-11)

7. Jacksonville (7-7) (6-4 Conf.) (3-3 Div.)

12/27 @ New England (9-5)

1/3/10 @ Cleveland (3-11)

8. Miami (7-7) (5-5 Conf.) (4-2 Div.)

12/27 Houston (7-7)

1/3/10 Pittsburgh (7-7)

9. NY Jets (7-7) (5-5 Conf.) (2-4 Div.)

12/27 @ Indy (14-0)

1/3/10 Cincinnati (9-5)

10. Pittsburgh (7-7) (4-6 Conf.) (1-4 Div.)

12/27 Baltimore (7-7) (0-1 vs. Balt.)

1/3/10 @ Miami (7-7)

11. Tennessee (7-7) (4-7 Conf.) (2-4 Div.) (1-1 Head-to-Head vs. Hou.)

12/25 San Diego (11-3)

1/3/10 @ Seattle (5-9)

12. Houston (7-7) (4-6 Conf.) (1-5 Div.) (1-1 Head-to-Head vs. Tenn)

12/27 @ Miami (7-7)

1/3/10 New England (9-5)

Was checking out all the clinching scenarios for this weekend over at cbs sports. Their "tiebreaker guy" does a post on their boards each week. Here's this week's thread. What I thought was worth noting was his response to a Bengals fan who asked if Cincy could still make the postseason if they lose out (and so finish 9-7), and Baltimore wins out and wins the division with a 10-6 record:

CIN at 9-7 is hamstrung by the fact that they will have lost to HOU, DEN, and NYJ. They will not have beaten a team that is in the wildcard hunt, and with a 6-6 conference record, they will not win a tiebreak against MIA or JAC due to conference record. They would finish ahead of TEN with conference record. They are guaranteed to finish ahead of PIT in the division, so PIT is meaningless.

Therefore, for CIN to lose out and still make the playoffs as a wildcard (meaning BAL wins out), all but one of the following must occur (ignoring ties):

1) DEN loses out

2) NYJ loses to IND this week

3) MIA loses 1 of 2

4) JAC loses 1 of 2

5) HOU loses 1 of 2 OR TEN wins out

The reason all but one has to happen is because CIN is alive for both the 5th and 6th seeds, and so if all of the above happen, CIN gets the #5 seed. If all but one of the above happens, then CIN gets the #6 seed.

There's also a note a couple posts up from that one that the Bengals - Jets game in week 17 could end up deciding who gets in on a strength of victory tiebreaker. :wacko:

Here's an interesting one that most of us have probably given up on after Sunday's loss.

- CIN can still get the 2nd seed if SD, CIN, and NE end in a 3-way 11-5 tie. Under this situation, no sweep is present, all teams are 8-4 in conference, and common games cannot be used. Thus, the tie is broken with SoV, and though the chance is marginal, it is still possible for CIN to clinch the SoV tiebreaker.

http://joenfl.blogs....374161/19103739

Unfortunately, the Pats play the Redskins in Week 17. Zorn's stuff will already be waiting for him at the curb by then.

And again here are the games of interest this week...

Friday 12/25

San Diego (11-3) at Tennessee (7-7)

Sunday 12/27

Jacksonville (7-7) at New England (9-5)

Denver (8-6) at Philadelphia (10-4)

Baltimore (8-6) at Pittsburgh (7-7)

Houston (7-7) at Miami (7-7)

NY Jets (7-7) at Indianapolis (14-0)