The AFC playoff picture

jjakq27

Based on the Chargers having a 7-3 Conference record and the Bengals having a 6-3 Conference record, the Chargers currently hold the tie-breaker for the second spot in the AFC. It goes without saying that the match-up next week in San Diego is critical for the home club. It could mean the difference between a rematch game being played in SD or here in Cincinnati in the playoffs.
/>http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf&season=2009-REG&split=Overall

2. San Diego (9-3)

12/13 @ Dallas (8-4)

12/20 Cincinnati (9-3)

12/25 @ Tennessee (5-7)

1/3/10 Washington (3-9)

3. Cincinnati (9-3)

12/13 @ Minnesota (10-2)

12/20 @ San Diego (9-3)

12/27 Kansas City (3-9)

1/3/10 @ NY Jets (6-6) (last game played at Giants Stadium)

4. New England (7-5)

12/13 Carolina (5-7)

12/20 @ Buffalo (4-8)

12/27 Jacksonville (7-5)

1/3/10 @ Houston (5-7)

5. Denver (8-4)

12/13 @ Indy (12-0)

12/20 Oakland (4-8)

12/27 @ Philadelphia (8-4)

1/3/10 Kansas City (3-9)

6. Jacksonville (7-5)

12/13 Miami (6-6)

12/20 Indy (12-0)

12/27 @ New England (7-5)

1/3/10 @ Cleveland (1-11)

7. Baltimore (6-6)

12/13 Detroit (2-10)

12/20 Chicago (5-7)

12/27 @ Pittsburgh (6-6)

1/3/10 @ Oakland (4-8)

8 and 9 (6-6)

8. Miami

9. NY Jets

10. Pittsburgh (6-6)

12/10 @ Cleveland (1-11)

12/20 Green Bay (8-4)

12/27 Baltimore (6-6)

1/3/10 @ Miami (6-6)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to throw water on the idea of the Bengal/Charger game being an epic struggle for all of the marbles, but right now I can't rule out Denver winning that division.

Yeah. San Diego has a tough road ahead. I think a lot of people look at their dismantling of a couple bad teams and assume they are the '07 Patriots. Let's see what they do @Dallas this week.

Not to throw water on the idea of the Bengal/Charger game being an epic struggle for all of the marbles, but right now I can't rule out Denver winning that division.

Denver can't be ruled out just yet but the odds are not in their favor. I know the Broncos well as I lived in the Denver area for about 3 years. They are notrious for starting out hot early in the season and faltering late. It has become a tradition out there. Their late season struggles don't get the national media attention that the Cowboys get for the same reason but it weighs heavily over their franchise locally. I was at Invesco for the Broncos-Bengals game where Carson hit Housh for a potential game tying TD in the final minute but they botched the extra point. Sorry if that brings up a painful memory... Denver might, and I emphasize might, hold onto a wildcard spot but it is unlikely they will win the West.

Into the abyss!

The Steelers lose to Cleveland 13-6 extending their losing streak to 5 games and dropping them to 6-7.

Remaining schedule:

12/20 Green Bay (8-4)

12/27 Baltimore (6-6)

1/3/10 @ Miami (6-6)

To be quite honest I think the Steelers will only win one of these three games.

Into the abyss!

The Steelers lose to Cleveland 13-6 extending their losing streak to 5 games and dropping them to 6-7.

Remaining schedule:

12/20 Green Bay (8-4)

12/27 Baltimore (6-6)

1/3/10 @ Miami (6-6)

You're being too generous here.

Into the abyss!

Remaining schedule:

12/20 Green Bay (8-4)

12/27 Baltimore (6-6)

1/3/10 @ Miami (6-6)

You're being too generous here.

I know... Let me fix my post. :) To be quite honest I think the Steelers will be at the bottom of the AFC North for the next 20 years at least. Hows that?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

Can someone explain to me how the Chargers would have the #2 seed if the season ended today? As soon as they beat the Browns they took it over... :confused1:

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

Can someone explain to me how the Chargers would have the #2 seed if the season ended today? As soon as they beat the Browns they took it over... :confused1:

The Bengals are 6-3 in the conference. The Chargers are 7-3. Since they haven't played each other yet, that's the tiebreaker. It's all meaningless now, since they play each other next week.

Honestly though, that playoff scenario in the link isn't really a bad one. The Bengals should be able to handle a very inconsistent Jaguars team. I've made mention multiple times that the Bengals match-up favorably with the weaknesses of the Colts. And if San Diego takes it's customary dive to the Patriots, Cincy could host the AFC championship game.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

The Bengals are 6-3 in the conference. The Chargers are 7-3. Since they haven't played each other yet, that's the tiebreaker. It's all meaningless now, since they play each other next week.

Honestly though, that playoff scenario in the link isn't really a bad one. The Bengals should be able to handle a very inconsistent Jaguars team. I've made mention multiple times that the Bengals match-up favorably with the weaknesses of the Colts. And if San Diego takes it's customary dive to the Patriots, Cincy could host the AFC championship game.

Thanks. But I don't think we'd be playing the Jags, if we end up with the wild card. They won't make it in.

Thanks. But I don't think we'd be playing the Jags, if we end up with the wild card. They won't make it in.

Cincinnati wouldn't be getting the Wild Card. The Bengals will still likely win the divison and get at worst the 4th seed.

If the season ended today the Bengals would host the 6 seed (Jax) and NE, as the 4th seed would host the 5th seed (Den)

I did have one thing wrong though. If the Bengals were to beat the Jags, it would reseed... and they would travel to SD rather than Indy, which is a bummer in my opinion.

If the Cowgirls beat the Chargers this week and we beat the Vikings and Chargers , I think it sews up the #2 seed.

Maybe it would take one more win but, I dont think so.

If it does end up like this (hopefully) then we should go ahead and beat KC then rest our players for the season finale. We'll probably beat the Jets with our second string players anyway. ^_^

If the Cowgirls beat the Chargers this week and we beat the Vikings and Chargers , I think it sews up the #2 seed.

That would all but do it. If the Bengals win the next 2 and the Chargers lose the next to, the Bengals finish 11-5 at worst, and the Chargers finish 11-5 at best, with the Bengals getting the tie breaker.

However, since the Bengals last 2 games are AFC opponents, should NE happen to win out and also finish 11-5, they would have that tie breaker. Cincy better plan on beating KC just to be safe.

We'll get it started Sunday in Minnesota!

That would all but do it. If the Bengals win the next 2 and the Chargers lose the next to, the Bengals finish 11-5 at worst, and the Chargers finish 11-5 at best, with the Bengals getting the tie breaker.

However, since the Bengals last 2 games are AFC opponents, should NE happen to win out and also finish 11-5, they would have that tie breaker. Cincy better plan on beating KC just to be safe.

I hope so. By all rights, the Bengal should roll in Minnesota. Marvin has owned the NFC divisions the team has played during his tenure: currently 17-9-1, and off the top of my head the "9-1" portion includes the infamous BS Justin Smith penalty loss to TB, and last season's 2 OT losses to NYG and Dallas and the Philly tie. In short, Marvin's record is thisclose to 21-6 at least.

FWIW, this year is one of those years when calendar quirks lead to five "December" games: four in December and one in the first few days of Janaury. That happened in 2004, 2005 and 2007 -- and in each of those years the Bengals went 3-2 over that span. So if history is any guide, the Bengals will finish 11-5. Whether that translates into the #2 or #3 seed depends, IMO, on who wins the Chargers game.

I hope so. By all rights, the Bengal should roll in Minnesota. Marvin has owned the NFC divisions the team has played during his tenure: currently 17-9-1, and off the top of my head the "9-1" portion includes the infamous BS Justin Smith penalty loss to TB, and last season's 2 OT losses to NYG and Dallas and the Philly tie. In short, Marvin's record is thisclose to 21-6 at least.

FWIW, this year is one of those years when calendar quirks lead to five "December" games: four in December and one in the first few days of Janaury. That happened in 2004, 2005 and 2007 -- and in each of those years the Bengals went 3-2 over that span. So if history is any guide, the Bengals will finish 11-5. Whether that translates into the #2 or #3 seed depends, IMO, on who wins the Chargers game.

Sure, sure. But I wasn't starting the game threads for any of those. The Bengals are likely to win the Super Bowl this year, and for the next 57 years without interruption. They may never lose again. You're welcome.

Sure, sure. But I wasn't starting the game threads for any of those. The Bengals are likely to win the Super Bowl this year, and for the next 57 years without interruption. They may never lose again. You're welcome.

No f**king way. 56 years I can see. But 57? What the hell are you smoking? Crazy, just crazy...:lol:

2. San Diego (10-3)

12/20 Cincinnati (9-4)

12/25 @ Tennessee (6-7)

1/3/10 Washington (4-9)

3. Cincinnati (9-4)

12/20 @ San Diego (10-3)

12/27 Kansas City (3-10)

1/3/10 @ NY Jets (7-6) (last game played at Giants Stadium)

4. New England (8-5)

12/20 @ Buffalo (5-8)

12/27 Jacksonville (8-5)

1/3/10 @ Houston (6-7)

5. Denver (8-4)

12/20 Oakland (4-9)

12/27 @ Philadelphia (9-4)

1/3/10 Kansas City (3-10)

6. Jacksonville (7-6)

12/20 Indy (13-0)

12/27 @ New England (8-5)

1/3/10 @ Cleveland (2-11)

Jax owns tiebreaker over Balt, Miami and Jets with 6-3 in AFC

7. Baltimore (7-6)

12/20 Chicago (5-8)

12/27 @ Pittsburgh (6-7)

1/3/10 @ Oakland (4-9)

8. Miami (7-6)

12/20 @ Tennessee (6-7)

12/27 Houston (6-7)

1/3/10 Pittsburgh (6-7)

9. NY Jets (7-6)

12/20 Atlanta (6-7)

12/27 @ Indy (13-0)

1/3/10 Cincinnati (9-4)

10. Pittsburgh (6-7)

12/20 Green Bay (9-4)

12/27 Baltimore (7-6)

1/3/10 @ Miami (7-6)

11. Tennessee (6-7)

12. Houston (6-7)

Bengals are eliminated from the chance at a #2 seed.

So... if the Bengals beat KC next week and clinch the division, do they play all the starters @NYJ?

There won't be much to play for. What's the likelihood of the #3 vs. #4 seed homefield advantage coming into play? They could use the Jets game as a virtual bye week and make sure they go into the playoffs as healthy as possible.

Just a thought.

Denver just lost to Oakland, leaving them tied with Baltimore at 8-6. At this point I'd rather play Denver in a playoff game, which means we'll need the #3 seed assuming Baltimore handles their business against their weak schedule. I think we'll have to beat KC and the Jets both for sure to get that over New England.