Signing LJ is so dumb.

TJJackson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got tweets from Reedy and the Bengals that Ced is indeed not practicing today.

I don't think he goes on Sunday.

I still love the LJ signing as some RB insurance, and for them not rushing Ced back if he is not ready.

Just got tweets from Reedy and the Bengals that Ced is indeed not practicing today.

I still love the LJ signing as some RB insurance, and for them not rushing Ced back if he is not ready.

Not a surprise. Benson didn't practice last Wednesday either. Now that he's got a hip flexor, it's no surprise that they want to rest him.

I agree though. I doubt he plays Sunday (and hope he doesn't. Don't want to see him aggravate it worse).

I heard Jaws and Mort both say that the Bengals and Chiefs run a similar blocking scheme and LJ should fit in pretty quickly.

Well, perhaps on paper. Can't really say the Chiefs actually run ANY blocking scheme.

:lol:

Should have seen something like that coming.

Really, who could resist a 'rim-shot' at the Chiefs' expense?

Not a surprise. Benson didn't practice last Wednesday either. Now that he's got a hip flexor, it's no surprise that they want to rest him.

I agree though. I doubt he plays Sunday (and hope he doesn't. Don't want to see him aggravate it worse).

His not practicing last Wed apparently meant he shouldn't have gone on Sunday, based on how gimpy he was from the outset. Full agreement, let him heal up, get him ready for the stretch run. LJ is a pretty damn good potential fill in.

I've thought they knew Benson wouldn't be going against Oakland and that was a major factor in the LJ signing. They pretty much just let Marvin do his usual soft-shoe answers so far, but I'm betting LJ gets 10 carries or so on Sunday in a RB by committee and they take a look at next week based on who does best. I continue to think LJ is a rented battering ram to try to control games against the patsies for the next few weeks and that Benson won't play until he's really healed. And, yeah, I know that even patsies can beat you in the NFL, which is why I think it's a great idea to be planning ahead to get a player to help control the clock rather than assume that they can just throw on everybody. I continue to like the LJ signing so far and won't be surprised at all if CB rests for a few weeks.

Again, Benson never practices on Wednesday. It's just one of the ways the Bengals have always managed their feature backs, from Dillon to Rudi to Ced. So if you're looking for a sign from above in regards to Benson's injury you'll have to wait at least until Thursday.

And yeah, with Larry Johnson now in the fold I'd happily shelve Benson this entire week, and perhaps longer, without a great deal of worry. In fact, I think I'd take advantage of the situation by giving Larry Johnson all of the practice reps he can handle.

One thing of minor concern is that Larry will have to get accustomed to Palmer's throwing hand handoffs. I doubt that'll be a big deal since Ced figured it out so quickly, but it's something to keep an eye on if Larry gets carries Sunday.

Scott and Leonard seemed to have figured that out. I doubt it's really a big deal. It may be a little weird the first couple times in practice, but I'm sure he'll figure it out soon enough. I think it's more awkward for Carson than it is for any of the running backs.

Again, Benson never practices on Wednesday. It's just one of the ways the Bengals have always managed their feature backs, from Dillon to Rudi to Ced. So if you're looking for a sign from above in regards to Benson's injury you'll have to wait at least until Thursday.

And yeah, with Larry Johnson now in the fold I'd happily shelve Benson this entire week, and perhaps longer, without a great deal of worry. In fact, I think I'd take advantage of the situation by giving Larry Johnson all of the practice reps he can handle.

Agreed, I think they should get all three backs involved this week and let Ced have the week off. Oakland is allowing 155 yds a game so I'm sure between LJ, Scott, and Leonard they can get the job done, especially with our line.

Well, if nothing else it's a far better article about the LJ signing than the fractured mess Paul Daugherty wrote.

Well, to be fair, there was a sale on dick-shaped crackers at Costco so he was in a rush to get it written and out the door.

As for Fleming's piece, it strikes me as a stretch. The Bengals problem hasn't been signing (or more typically, drafting) character risks per se, it's been their willingness to take them high and install them in key roles. That strategy has allowed guys like Pickens, Dillon and Chad to hold the team hostage to their demands, as well as meaning that when poor character guys follow their instincts, they can delay or take down a whole rebuilding project (think Thurman and Henry).

LJ's the way to do these things, if you feel you must.

I'm very late on the discussion, but I'll say this...

ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT THE LJ SIGNING IS A MISTAKE BETTER LOOK AGAIN!

To me, it's the reverse Corey Dillon trade, but the difference being that the better football player is coming to the Bengals. After all, all we netted was Madeiu Williams in that trade to NE, and can't we all agree that we traded a near HOF'er in that deal for a player that never realized his potential here? It's pretty much the same with LJ, as a disgruntled player that wanted to get the hell out of KC for the last couple of seasons, by any means neccesary. The awesome consideration is that we didn't have to give up anything to get him.

Here's question: Prior to the '08 season, who wouldn't advocate giving up a 2nd round pick (Jerome Simpson, maybe?) for a guy like Larry Johnson...even if it's only for one season? After this season, the onus is on the Bengals to re-sign a guy that has all the talent in the world, along with some misconcieved notions about his locker room influence (see Dillon above). Absolute worst case scenario is that he's not a fit and he doesn't make it to the end of the season, although he might be able to spell Ced for a few games. Best case scenario is that he plays up to his normal level of football and convinces a team like the Browns that he is worth a nice salary to be their featured back. I know that some might argue his age, but if this scenario plays out, it could possibly net the Bengals a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick in '10 for 200K. In my eyes, LJ's a player (like Dillon. one more time) that wanted to play for a winning organizaation and coach, which says a lot about how Mikey and Marvin has changed the league-wide perception of the Bengals.

I'm having too much fun enjoying the best Bengals season EVER, but just wanted to throw all of that out there, while I'm not immersed in all things Bengals.

1.) Lets give carries away from a rookie that stole the show against Pitts, in one of the biggest Bengals games of the decade.

2.) Lets take carries from Brian Leonard that has gotten more important 1st downs in Bengals history than Chad Johnson

3.) Regardless of how he views it, lets give our nearly MVP running back incentive to 'hurry' back from injury so he feels less threatened

4.) Lets not promote the idea of commitment to the nearly MVP RB that has helped elevate the team to 7 - 2

5.) Lets introduce a new guy to a team that is completely together already and building on 10 weeks worth of Regular Season chemistry (not including OTA's/Training Camp/Etc.)

6.) Oh, BTW, he is a complete knucklehead and already bashing his old team? like really?!

This move has the potential to be the downfall of the season.

I agree. In the press conference he didn't even seem apologetic about his behavior. I dislike this guy and I don't think he can possibly be good for the team. This season needs to be a moral victory for the team, not just victory in terms of wins (although that's essential too). Does anybody really buy that they're going to keep him in fourth place? Why not put some faith in Bernard Scott??!!! He's a great player.Its always something with Cinci. Just when I was starting to believe again, they do this! Is everybody on the Cincinatti coaching staff on crack! This is a terrible idea. It could rip the team chemistry apart, not to mention that this is no way to reward Benson who's become our new Rudi Johnson. We don't need some prima donna with an attitude problem. That's what we're trying to shake for heaven's sake. This is a terrible idea. I hope Johnson doesn't play at all. I don't see anything good coming out of this, even if Johnson is runs great for us.

So what? What kind of message does it send to the team? "You get hurt, you're instantly replacable. And we have so little faith in our backups (even when they've performed incredibly) that we are going to bring in a high-risk a**h*** who's got a lot of skill but not as much heart as our team." Great Move guys. This could really unravell the season.

1.) Lets give carries away from a rookie that stole the show against Pitts, in one of the biggest Bengals games of the decade.

2.) Lets take carries from Brian Leonard that has gotten more important 1st downs in Bengals history than Chad Johnson

3.) Regardless of how he views it, lets give our nearly MVP running back incentive to 'hurry' back from injury so he feels less threatened

4.) Lets not promote the idea of commitment to the nearly MVP RB that has helped elevate the team to 7 - 2

5.) Lets introduce a new guy to a team that is completely together already and building on 10 weeks worth of Regular Season chemistry (not including OTA's/Training Camp/Etc.)

6.) Oh, BTW, he is a complete knucklehead and already bashing his old team? like really?!

I agree. In the press conference he didn't even seem apologetic about his behavior. I dislike this guy and I don't think he can possibly be good for the team. This season needs to be a moral victory for the team, not just victory in terms of wins (although that's essential too). Does anybody really buy that they're going to keep him in fourth place? Why not put some faith in Bernard Scott??!!! He's a great player.Its always something with Cinci. Just when I was starting to believe again, they do this! Is everybody on the Cincinatti coaching staff on crack! This is a terrible idea. It could rip the team chemistry apart, not to mention that this is no way to reward Benson who's become our new Rudi Johnson. We don't need some prima donna with an attitude problem. That's what we're trying to shake for heaven's sake. This is a terrible idea. I hope Johnson doesn't play at all. I don't see anything good coming out of this, even if Johnson is runs great for us.

So what? What kind of message does it send to the team? "You get hurt, you're instantly replacable. And we have so little faith in our backups (even when they've performed incredibly) that we are going to bring in a high-risk a**h*** who's got a lot of skill but not as much heart as our team." Great Move guys. This could really unravell the season.

Thanks, that was awesome!!! Makes absolutely no sense, but a rollicking read nonetheless. I'm wiping away a tear here (from laughter). Is there any chance that you may be a Chiefs fan, Joe? (just asking)

What kind of message does it send to the team? "You get hurt, you're instantly replacable. And we have so little faith in our backups (even when they've performed incredibly) that we are going to bring in a high-risk a**h*** who's got a lot of skill but not as much heart as our team."

This was one of the least intelligent things I have read on this board in weeks, and with JoeWrong, Supabran, and Agreen spewing here regularly, thats saying a lot

There is no message

Every player knows that the team needs to have x number of players of each type to play on Sunday. If a player who plays position y is injured, then you need another player who can play position y

It's really quite simple.

oh, and....

This season needs to be a moral victory for the team, not just victory in terms of wins

uhm......needs to be?

needs?

Tell us why, if you can. In a less nonsensical fashion, please.

Well, if nothing else it's a far better article about the LJ signing than the fractured mess Paul Daugherty wrote.

Well, to be fair, there was a sale on dick-shaped crackers at Costco so he was in a rush to get it written and out the door.

As for Fleming's piece, it strikes me as a stretch. The Bengals problem hasn't been signing (or more typically, drafting) character risks per se, it's been their willingness to take them high and install them in key roles. That strategy has allowed guys like Pickens, Dillon and Chad to hold the team hostage to their demands, as well as meaning that when poor character guys follow their instincts, they can delay or take down a whole rebuilding project (think Thurman and Henry).

LJ's the way to do these things, if you feel you must.

Pickens. Dillon and Chad:all outstanding players for the Bengals. None have held the Bengals' hostage. Pickens didn't get his trade until the end of his career. Chad didn't get his trade or a new contract last year and he is now a real asset to this team. Dillon lost his job and was then traded to NE when he became a problem. And I really doubt that Larry Johnson will somehow undo everything the Bengals have accomplished so far this season. After all, I don't think they would have reached this point if they hadn't been willing to give a real chance to talented players who have worn out their welcome with other teams. Larry Johnson may have a bit of the knucklehead in him, but he is a healthy, exceptionally talented TB with something to prove and , as such, is a quality addition to this roster's talent pool. I for one applaud the team's continuing,pro-active efforts to upgrade the bottom of the roster during the season.(Daugherty is a tool and can't help it;his most recent "column" accusing LJ of being,essentially, a bad guy,seems like a weasel's attempt to cadge a guest spot on a nationally syndicated sportstalk radio show) I like it that they're still bringing guys in for a look each week, even if they don't sign them. None of their moves seem desperate to me. On the contrary, so far it looks like the team has been making good personnel decisions for the right reasons. The only quibble I have is the TE position, specifically with regard to Chase Coffman. But, hey, they seem to know what they're doing so far. The Bengals are doing okay.

The Bengals coaching staff requested to talk to him before Benson got hurt. There's no message to be sent except when a high caliber player becomes available the Bengals are now willing to entertain the idea of trying to get them, unlike when Carson went down and was replaced by a QB that unquestionably at best is a career backup in the league.

On another note when Henry was getting into trouble there were a lot of guys that wanted him gone, and then when he rejoined fans where up in arms abou tit. Now that he's cleaned up his act and you can see his talent, I for one can say I'm happy that he wants to come back to the team. Larry's problems are in the past and he should be given a chance to perform or screw up before everyone gives judgment on him.

Pickens. Dillon and Chad:all outstanding players for the Bengals. None have held the Bengals' hostage.

Oh, please, where were you? Yes, outstanding players. How many winning seasons and playoff appearances did we have with them? Yet they were recipients of special treatment in the locker room, got paid big bucks and even got big bucks extensions, all while badmouthing the team and management. They had the Bengals by the nads most of the time they were in stripes -- and they knew it, and took advantage of it, poisoning the well in the process.

Pickens didn't get his trade until the end of his career.

Correction: Pickens didn't get released until after he signed a fat new extension and then threw his head coach under the bus. As a result he walked away with bags of money and cap space, screwing the team.

Chad didn't get his trade or a new contract last year and he is now a real asset to this team.

I invite you to start a thread about what an asset Chad is. Please.

Dillon lost his job and was then traded to NE when he became a problem.

You really think Dillon wasn't a problem until his last year here?

And I really doubt that Larry Johnson will somehow undo everything the Bengals have accomplished so far this season.

Well, neither do I, but you seem to have missed that point.