Signing LJ is so dumb.

TJJackson

My only real question is whether LJ has anything left in the tank. KC fans seem to mostly think not, but he didn't have much of a line to block for him there, either. I guess we'll find out.

Agreed. The Chiefs gave him so many carries between 2005 and 2006 that is was hardly surprising he was not very productive any season thereafter. A lot of time has passed since then though and he's barely under thirty, so I could see him putting up a serviceable 3.8-4.0 yards per carry if sufficient fire is lit under his butt.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, and it's still only a possibility at this point, he see the field, I'm not expecting too much. If he can up his average by about half a yard that'll give us something to work with added to the effect a big back running between the tackles has on wearing down a defense.

Having said that, even just this very season I've seen him make a couple of nice longish runs when given some blocking and he still has a burst.

In fact, and I realise it's not all on the line as Charles has come in for them and given them a little more production, their line is so bad I have come across a thread illustrating just how s**t it is. Added to the fact that mentally LJ checked out of KC yrs ago, it's not such a risk. In fact, it's zero risk at all. He's one and done. Any problem and he's gone. No harm no foul.

/>http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214113

I can't believe any bengal fan who actualy cares about the bengals making a playoff run would actually have a problem with bringing in an insurance policy like Larry Johnson after what happened last time we made the playoffs.

Last time we made the playoffs, just one injury to a key player ended our hopes of doing anything. An injury to Cedric would do the same thing. Our running game would be in trouble if anything happened to him, and our whole offense would be in trouble. Scott is a good change of pace guy who may develop. Leonard is a good receiver out of the backfield and a blocker, but they are not every down RBs.

Do you really want to flush our season down the toilet and take the risk that one injury could ruin another playoff season? LJ can fill in and give us some kind of hope of still being successful if Benson goes down.

I am with Pong (and many others) on this.

In the dead LJ threads I made this point and will re-make it here. It would suck beyond words for all this good work to be lost if Ced has an injury that lingers and they lose the ability to run like they have been. And with Larry Johnson, they have bought themselves a nice insurance policy against just that. For next to nothing. After all the years, and threads, the many many threads, wondering why the Bengals won't be proactive in addressing needs and planning for worst case scenarios, it's weird to see the front office do just that and still catch complaints.

Me? I hope they sit Ced this week and let LJ batter into that tough Raiders front 25 times. Get Ced healthy, still do what it is we do, win, and move on.

All for it. Really don't see the downside. ML has met with him, looked him in the eyes, and worked him out. ML has consulted with the leaders on the line (whit and bobbie) and Ced himself has signed off. It looks to me for all the world like the kind of move OTHER teams that perenially contend usually make while the bengals do nothing.

More, please.

You're blowing my mind here, Hair. You mean we've now become a team that free agents actually want to come to?

Whoa.

Well grab onto ya' butt with both hands because here's the topper.

They want to come here...to...win...a...championship.

This. This. This. And, again, this.

Revel, for a moment, in this.

I am with Pong (and many others) on this.

In the dead LJ threads I made this point and will re-make it here. It would suck beyond words for all this good work to be lost if Ced has an injury that lingers and they lose the ability to run like they have been. And with Larry Johnson, they have bought themselves a nice insurance policy against just that. For next to nothing. After all the years, and threads, the many many threads, wondering why the Bengals won't be proactive in addressing needs and planning for worst case scenarios, it's weird to see the front office do just that and still catch complaints.

Me? I hope they sit Ced this week and let LJ batter into that tough Raiders front 25 times. Get Ced healthy, still do what it is we do, win, and move on.

All for it. Really don't see the downside. ML has met with him, looked him in the eyes, and worked him out. ML has consulted with the leaders on the line (whit and bobbie) and Ced himself has signed off. It looks to me for all the world like the kind of move OTHER teams that perenially contend usually make while the bengals do nothing.

More, please.

I agree with this. I was leery at first, but there is no real downside. Give Ced some rest because we will need him in January. If LJ threatens to implode the locker room, cut him. Everybody knows what this is, including LJ and Ced. Is this taking snaps away from Scott and Leonard? Not yet. If LJ sees playing time and it saves all three of them for a playoff run, terrific.

Very little investment, very little drawback. And as I said before, I like that Brown is being proactive and not just sitting back. He sees a good thing here and I think he's showing the willingness we all want to see in protecting it.

1.) Lets give carries away from a rookie that stole the show against Pitts, in one of the biggest Bengals games of the decade.

2.) Lets take carries from Brian Leonard that has gotten more important 1st downs in Bengals history than Chad Johnson

3.) Regardless of how he views it, lets give our nearly MVP running back incentive to 'hurry' back from injury so he feels less threatened

4.) Lets not promote the idea of commitment to the nearly MVP RB that has helped elevate the team to 7 - 2

5.) Lets introduce a new guy to a team that is completely together already and building on 10 weeks worth of Regular Season chemistry (not including OTA's/Training Camp/Etc.)

6.) Oh, BTW, he is a complete knucklehead and already bashing his old team? like really?!

This move has the potential to be the downfall of the season.

Agree.

However, it also has the potential to be the final piece of the puzzle.

1.) Let's realize that LJ won't get any carries unless someone is injured.

2.) Let's give the ball to a Pro Bowl RB if necessary.

3.) It is up to the coaches to support Cedric and instill confidence that this gives him the time to fully recover.

4.) Let's set the tone to for the team that the mgmt is stepping up and doing what it takes to win.

5.) Let's see if this team has the character to welcome in another soldier and make him part of the team.

6.) Let's see if LJ can grow up in the process, joining Chad, Tank, Henry and the other bad seeds who now call PBS home.

Why make an already 7-2 club have added goals/tasks to complete (referencing #3,4,5,6) of your comment

1.) Lets give carries away from a rookie that stole the show against Pitts, in one of the biggest Bengals games of the decade.

2.) Lets take carries from Brian Leonard that has gotten more important 1st downs in Bengals history than Chad Johnson

3.) Regardless of how he views it, lets give our nearly MVP running back incentive to 'hurry' back from injury so he feels less threatened

4.) Lets not promote the idea of commitment to the nearly MVP RB that has helped elevate the team to 7 - 2

5.) Lets introduce a new guy to a team that is completely together already and building on 10 weeks worth of Regular Season chemistry (not including OTA's/Training Camp/Etc.)

6.) Oh, BTW, he is a complete knucklehead and already bashing his old team? like really?!

Agree.

However, it also has the potential to be the final piece of the puzzle.

1.) Let's realize that LJ won't get any carries unless someone is injured.

2.) Let's give the ball to a Pro Bowl RB if necessary.

3.) It is up to the coaches to support Cedric and instill confidence that this gives him the time to fully recover.

4.) Let's set the tone to for the team that the mgmt is stepping up and doing what it takes to win.

5.) Let's see if this team has the character to welcome in another soldier and make him part of the team.

6.) Let's see if LJ can grow up in the process, joining Chad, Tank, Henry and the other bad seeds who now call PBS home.

Why make an already 7-2 club have added goals/tasks to complete (referencing #3,4,5,6) of your comment

I think 3 and 4 of kwilly's post is vital regardless if we added LJ or not.

I agree that I have no interest in experimenting with 5 and 6 solely for the point of experimenting.

But I don't see those as being the reasons.

You're blowing my mind here, Hair. You mean we've now become a team that free agents actually want to come to?

Whoa.

Well grab onto ya' butt with both hands because here's the topper.

They want to come here...to...win...a...championship.

Reading those words made me dizzy. :wacko: Hit harder than a double shot of Wild Turkey!

Im not really understanding why this is such a dumb move for some? Look at last week they lose Benson, Scotts leg started to cramp up at the end, Leonord is a great back, but an awsome 3rd down back and pass catcher. With Larry here he can spell any of these guys, give guys a break let them get healthy. If he keeps his mouth shut (which i think he will do) does what he is supposed to do this team could have another brusing running back on this team. What is that now 2 #1 running backs on this team. I think this could be a great move, if not cut him they are not losing anything. I say give him a shot!

Ok guys let's keep thinking of all the negative thoughts from this signing and not any of the good things that come from it.

#1 gives Benson time to heal

#2 adds depth

#3 shows the Bengals Boss wants to win

#4 with the Bengals off line blocking it could be the old LJ running again.

#5 given a second chance you know he ain't gonna "F" up, no one would ever touch him again #6 nobody's perfect give him a chance.

He's been running behind a line worse then us...a line who thought hey maybe we could use eric guycheck!

Good backs still need good Olines.

Yeah... but I see it both ways.

He ran behind one of the best O-Lines ever. I say 'ever' because of how easy it was for Priest Holmes to look like the one of the best in history. He would have had the best single season of any RB in history if not for the injury. LJ then came in and put up some amazing numbers as well behind that line.

That line got old fast, future hall of famers retired and were replaced with garbage. LJs numbers went in the tank.

Who are the Bengals getting? Well, you're kidding yourself if you ever thought Larry Johnson was as good as his 2 seasons with that great line indicate. I also think you're flat out wrong if you think he is as bad as his most recent numbers indicate.

He's a serviceable power back who will serve as a reasonable insurance plan. I like the move because I don't see all that much risk here, and the Bengals need someone who can carry the ball 20+ times a game if Benson needs a game or two off.

I totaly get the reasons behind this move and I like it, keeps ced healthy for a deep playoff run and both leonard and scott are not bell cow backs so they cannot handle 20-30 carries a game whereas LJ can and will.

this also reminds me of the season I started to support the bengals in 1988 we loved to run the ball in that season and we had 2 great backs doing it.

Icky woods

james brooks

now we have

Ced benson

larry johnson

bernard scott

brian "i get firstdowns" leonard

now if that doesnt give opposing defence coor nightmares i dont know what will.

WHODEY!!

Or...

1.) Lets bring in LJ, give him some reps, so Scott can stay healthy to return kickoffs. Scott will still get carries.

2.) Lets leave Leonard in on 3rd and 4th downs. He's money in these situations. Same for Scott.

3.) Lets get some "security" here in case our MVP back goes down like Palmer did in '05. We'll also create an atmosphere of compitition amongst our players.

4.) Lets give Benson some help, he's working himself to death. LJ will be a nice compliment.

5.) LJ is a star, He'll fit right in.

This move has the potential to catapult us deep into the playoffs.

I doubt we'll see LJ as the feature back this weekend, even if Benson is hurt. You don't just walk in on Tuesday and play Sunday in the NFL. It's gonna take a couple weeks to learn the playbook.

Again, this move was already in the works before the Benson injury.. There is no controversy here. LJ is security which is very nice to have. Look at Pittsburghs RB's.

He's willing to play special teams? And he's making the NFL minimum - pro-rated for the last 7 games. He sounds sufficiently humbled. I still don't like it, though. I just get the feeling something is wrong with Larry Johnson.

Well, at this point it is up to him to show us he is going to be a "team" guy. I think everyone has a little bit of apprehension about this move.

Is it going to be more than the leadership of this team can handle?

Is LJ going to shelve his azzhole personality and do what it takes?

I echo the sentiment that ML better know what he is doing.

It's the perfect situation for the Bengals. PERFECT.

LJ needs to reestablish himself as a RB in the NFL. He was able to get out of KC and into a place where he will have some oppurtunities.

It's up to him if he wants to retire or continue a career in the NFL.

If he wants to continue, he'll need to show up, play his ASS off, and shut his big mouth. All he has to do is play and he will most likely get a contract next season.

If he wants an early retirement then he should come here to Cincy, run his mouth, be an ass, and be a horrible team player. No one will sign him next year.

This is win-win for both the Bengals and LJ. For anyone to think otherwise doesn't understand the business side of this game.

I doubt we'll see LJ as the feature back this weekend, even if Benson is hurt. You don't just walk in on Tuesday and play Sunday in the NFL. It's gonna take a couple weeks to learn the playbook.

i disagree with this statement, benson who had no camp no preseason no nothing played the same week he was signed. lj has played most of this season and could very well walking in here and play this sunday.

i disagree with this statement, benson who had no camp no preseason no nothing played the same week he was signed. lj has played most of this season and could very well walking in here and play this sunday.

and Chambers just walked into KC and scored two TD's after just showing up,

so it's possible

I guess its possible. Would it be easier for a WR or a RB to do this?

If LJ is on my fantasy team, he's on the bench this week. H

I think this week is probably his best chance at being the man here, when Benson is healthy he will not get many touches. This week I could see 10-15 touches for him in some basic run packages. I would have no problem with him being the guy for the next two games, than getting set down as insurance against another Benson injury.

To bad he is such a character concern, he would be a great vet pickup without his excess baggage.

Didn't Ced walk off the street after not playing for two months last year and immediately get feature back carries?

Didn't Ced walk off the street after not playing for two months last year and immediately get feature back carries?

He got 5 or 6 carries a game for the first couple of weeks, then they benched Perry and started Ced.

I doubt you'll see him get 30+ carries. So if that is what is meant by "feature back" I agree.

We'll probably see a lot more of Scott and Leonard this week than we have in the past. That said, if Benson is inactive this week (which I expect him to be. No, I hope him to be... no sense in risking more injury), I could certainly see Johnson getting 15-20 carries. I heard Jaws and Mort both say that the Bengals and Chiefs run a similar blocking scheme and LJ should fit in pretty quickly.