Larry johnson

HoTbOy

My guess is that this means they plan on resting Ced a little over the next few games to make sure he's full-go for the big ones (SD, Minn, and beyond).

If so, then I'm fine with the move. I do worry how this could effect chemistry in the locker room, but the mature veteran presence should be strong enough now to handle it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the tweets I just received from the Bengals confirm he's coming for a visit, that ML talked to him as early as last Thursday, but that Ced is okay, and that if he signs here it is for insurance, and that he'd have to be cool with being inactive on gamedays should Ced/Scott/Leonard be healthy.

This is a good move. Locker room douche's can only excel if they're the best player. Palmer is the best player on the team. PERIOD. The Bengals don't need him, he needs the Bengals. Get a Pro-Bowler to fill in for Cedric? You gotta do it.

Agree.

In fact I can name several "better" players than LJ.

Palmer

Chad

Benson

Hall

Joseph

Coles and Whit also could be seen as "better", perhaps...

If he does, I hope the Axe falls SWIFTLY.

If he toes the line and joins the "team", then bonus.

Either way, we win. He flames out and gets cut, the rest of the team sees it and learns a lesson. In the alternative, he acts as a human battering ram for 3 or 4 weeks, then we get Ced back for a playoff run.

I still don't think this guy is right in the head. Something is wrong with him.

I love it. I don't think he's washed up. I think this season would have been one of his best if he wasn't on the Chiefs. Solid runner, and has something to prove. I remember when he got some carries on a Monday Night Football game when Preist went out and he had two carries for TD's from over 50 yards. Then Vermiel said he had to take the diaper off and man up, he was pissed about the comment then went out and ran like his ass was on fire. Now he's got somethin gto prove again.

Let's ROLL!!!

From Rotoworld.com

Johnson

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Monday that free agent Larry Johnson will be inactive on game days if he signs with the club.

Lewis said the decision to bring L.J. in for a tryout has no bearing on Cedric Benson or Bernard Scott's stance on the depth chart. Johnson would simply be an insurance policy as the Bengals' No. 4 tailback. This is another good indication that the club still expects Benson (hip) to play in Week 11. Nov. 16 - 2:19 pm et

Whats to worry about? My main man Mike Brown knows whats up (I have bashed him for YEARS!). This team is on an amazing run. Whether it's luck or skill. I have no idea. The fact remains this is the most impressive personel run in Mikes 18 years.

Chris Crocker

Cedric Benson

Dhani Jones

JP Foshi

Bernard Scott

Rey Melalugua

Michael Johnson

Trent Morgan

Not to mention the last few solid drafts. Signing scumbags is only bad when your losing. Winning cures all.

Allow me to throw out the name of a similar player who also had the reputation of a bad actor before being acquired by a team on our river...Jerome Bettis.

Don't worry about LJ's attitude. Even if he's a selfish SOB he'll keep his nose clean here because it's in his best interests to do so.

Think he'll want to play in our game vs the Chiefs Christmas Weekend???

From Rotoworld.com

Johnson

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Monday that free agent Larry Johnson will be inactive on game days if he signs with the club.

Lewis said the decision to bring L.J. in for a tryout has no bearing on Cedric Benson or Bernard Scott's stance on the depth chart. Johnson would simply be an insurance policy as the Bengals' No. 4 tailback. This is another good indication that the club still expects Benson (hip) to play in Week 11. Nov. 16 - 2:19 pm et

If this is true, then I like it A LOT.

A little surprised LJ would go for it if he really did receive an offer from the Pats, though...

Allow me to throw out the name of a similar player who also had the reputation of a bad actor before being acquired by a team on our river...Jerome Bettis.

Don't worry about LJ's attitude. Even if he's a selfish SOB he'll keep his nose clean here because it's in his best interests to do so.

Think he'll want to play in our game vs the Chiefs Christmas Weekend???

I don't worry about LJ's attitude. I worry about his attitude AND his history of injuries. We've debated ad nauseum the impact of running Ced too much, and then go out and sign the guy that was run into the ground by the Chiefs.

If it truly is as an inactive insurance policy, fine. I'm more comfortable with it.

From Rotoworld.com

Johnson

Well that's good. Maybe when Larry hears that he'll walk. I don't know that we need him. I think we're fine with Scott and Leonard. Ced will be back for the two big games we have left.

From Rotoworld.com

Johnson

If this is the case (being inactive) then this move is purely insurance, and thinking is LJ>Fui.

Get him on the scout team to get the D ready for the rest of the year.

If Benson or any of the guys goes down, then voila, a nice RB ready to be activated.

Plus, NE (or anyone else) cannot take advantage of LJ's services.

bonus-bonus-bonus

A lot of this depends on Ced's health. I think they must be concerned and if he is hurt then I can't imagine they'd rush him (Benson) back this week. Thus it would not surprise me to see LJ active for Oakland

I don't know that we need him. I think we're fine with Scott and Leonard. Ced will be back for the two big games we have left.

Whether they need LJ or not is debatable... but I think they need someone. Benson went down, and if they don't rest him, it's very possible he'll aggrivate it again. And I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I thought Scott looked gimpy at the end. Maybe just exhausted, but I thought he looked like he was in pain. Leonard had to finish the game if no one noticed. If he's even slightly hurt, they're in bad shape at RB.

I don't know that we need him. I think we're fine with Scott and Leonard. Ced will be back for the two big games we have left.

Whether they need LJ or not is debatable... but I think they need someone. Benson went down, and if they don't rest him, it's very possible he'll aggrivate it again. And I haven't heard anyone mention this, but I thought Scott looked gimpy at the end. Maybe just exhausted, but I thought he looked like he was in pain. Leonard had to finish the game if no one noticed. If he's even slightly hurt, they're in bad shape at RB.

Yeah, Scott twisted his ankle on that last play he was in. Nothing serious, I think. I just don't know that LJ fits here. I know we've picked up a lot of castoffs, but none quite like LJ who's had a history of bashing his team, his coaches, and ......well, other people.

I haven't read this whole thread so I may be repeating something, but I would just like to say two things.

1. A lot of his bad attitude came from losing all of the time. Ever heard the phrase "winning cures everything"?

2. In Jim Anderson I trust.

Not being disrespectful to you here, but I think we're all more than familiar with number 1, since Fredo has beaten that drum to death the past couple of off-seasons. I seem to recall hearing that in re Carl Pickens. May have heard it once or twice with Corey Dillon. Seems vaguely familiar with Takeo Spikes.

In fact, getting a little tired of hearing number one, truthfully. Been a little more partial to "winners never quit." Ever heard of that phrase? It apparently translates differently once athletes reach the overly-paid pro level.

A lot of this depends on Ced's health. I think they must be concerned and if he is hurt then I can't imagine they'd rush him (Benson) back this week. Thus it would not surprise me to see LJ active for Oakland

I agree. Marvin is talking about Benson playing @Oakland... but if they bring in LJ, I highly doubt they'll risk Benson to further injury by rushing him if he's not ready.

All of that to say, use him if you need him. If you don't need him, Good!

The three things I do like about the possibility of this signing

1) the knowledge of The Raiders and the Chargers he brings with him. Even at 7-2, I don't discount any edge we can get against west coat teams

2) Low risk and low cost. He gets paid min and remains inactive while practicing the whole week with the team, so they can fully eval him while Cedric heals up. If Scott or Leonard get injured before Cedric is healed, he's cheap insurance. If not, or if he remains bitter/cancerous, you let him go w/little to no cap impact.

3) High Ceiling on Return on Investment - let this guy rehab his image here same as Cedric, maybe we can even trade him for mid round pick down the line if he turns a new leaf. It's possible he finds the same kind of positive motivation Cedric did, and regains some of his former self.