All things Jonathan Fanene AND Mike Zimmer

kedgey

C'mon Mem that's every coaches dream.. A head coaching oppurtunity in the NFL won't be turned down by Zimmer.

I can remember after the 2005 season and our fans were "worried" that Bratkowski was going to Detroit to be their next HC...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon Mem that's every coaches dream.. A head coaching oppurtunity in the NFL won't be turned down by Zimmer.

I can remember after the 2005 season and our fans were "worried" that Bratkowski was going to Detroit to be their next HC...

They did just as well with Marinelli.

Yeah Zimmer's gone after this season.. Hopefully there will be a soft spot in his heart for this team who gave him a chance. Money usually comes between that, hopefully he won't forget about us.

Fanene's a DAWG!!!

Now what in the world makes you think Zimmer will be gone after this season?

Where is he going to go be a HC? College? Notre Dame?

a HC in the NFL? where? Buffalo? DC? Chicago?

Ahead of Gruden, Cowher, Holmgren, Schottenheimer, Billick?

Now, I am not saying he will never be an NFL HC, but I don't see him getting a HC job next year, and I don't see him leaving the Bengals. Not given what he has built and the future of this D/Team.

I hope you're right... But money talks brother. Admit it or not, Mike Zimmer is definitely a top prospect for a HC in the NFL.

The thought that coorinator's make good HC's is hit or miss. for every 1 that works out, there are 4 who fail. Some guys are just better coordinators (Romeo, Mangini, Greg Williams, etc.)

I think Brat is probably a better HC prospect. Plus, you are not mentioning the coaches on the street who are looking for the right fit, many of them have SB rings. (Cowher, Billick, Fassel, Gruden, Holmgren, Schottenheimer, Shanahan)

Are you going to tell me that Zimmer, all his current/recent success aside, is a better candidate than most of those? I like Zimer quite a bit hut I am not convinced he is there yet.

Well, I think any talk about Zimmer has to start with this question:

What does Mike Zimmer want?

However this season ends, Zimmer's life has changed forever because of the death of his wife.

Does he still want to be in Cincy, after that? Does he still want to coach? Does he decide he needs to be closer to family in Texas & Louisiana?

I have a feeling a lot of things completely unrelated to the Bengals or any other NFL team will be driving Zim's decisions in 2010.

Back on topic...

Frankly, I hadn't seen anything to like about Fanene prior to this season. Granted, he's flashed an explosive first step from time to time, but never showed the type of closing burst needed to produce sacks consistently. Worse, he always seemed to tire out quickly and IMHO was the worst lineman on the roster at chasing plays run towards the opposite side. In fact, he rarely bothered trying.

The transformation is striking. I haven't read anything to back this up, but Fanene looks 8-12 lbs. lighter than before, and he's not only rushing the passer...he's flashing backside pursuit. And that's something I doubt he was even capable of before due to conditioning issues.

Back on topic...

Frankly, I hadn't seen anything to like about Fanene prior to this season. Granted, he's flashed an explosive first step from time to time, but never showed the type of closing burst needed to produce sacks consistently. Worse, he always seemed to tire out quickly and IMHO was the worst lineman on the roster at chasing plays run towards the opposite side. In fact, he rarely bothered trying.

The transformation is striking. I haven't read anything to back this up, but Fanene looks 8-12 lbs. lighter than before, and he's not only rushing the passer...he's flashing backside pursuit. And that's something I doubt he was even capable of before due to conditioning issues.

You're right hair. I think it has everything to do with the oppurtunity and the coaches. There's a fire lit under Fanene's ass right now. It's the coaches job to keep that baby lit!

Back on topic...

You're right hair. I think it has everything to do with the oppurtunity and the coaches. There's a fire lit under Fanene's ass right now. It's the coaches job to keep that baby lit!

Totally agree with both.

Perhaps Chad had a long sit-down with Fanene and helped him see the light about hard work and perseverance. Maybe Jonanthon saqw Chad tank last year and really stepped his game up, because, you know, no one wants Chad to do that again.

As to him looking lighter, he looks trimmer, and he wears the smallest shoulder pads on the D-line, the less for O-lineman to grab i am guessing.

Yeah Zimmer's gone after this season.. Hopefully there will be a soft spot in his heart for this team who gave him a chance. Money usually comes between that, hopefully he won't forget about us.

Fanene's a DAWG!!!

Now, I am not saying he will never be an NFL HC, but I don't see him getting a HC job next year, and I don't see him leaving the Bengals. Not given what he has built and the future of this D/Team.

Well Holgrem looks to be looking for a GM Job...Billick I think he would beat out...Gruden & Cowher will probably find jobs but theres a expected 7-8 Head Coaching jobs this offseason...If Zimmer wants it I'm sure he can find HC job in the next 2 years its just a matter of if he does because of his family...

Perhaps Chad had a long sit-down with Fanene and helped him see the light about hard work and perseverance. Maybe Jonanthon saqw Chad tank last year and really stepped his game up, because, you know, no one wants Chad to do that again.

This must be more of that sarcasm thing.

Got Dammit Willy, use the friggin' smilies!!!

One word for you willy - Owned. My comments own anything you've brought to the table.

Scoreboard.

Gizzle-my-nizzle-off-the-hizzle-fo-chizzle: 1

Willy: 0

Fanene's a DAWG!!!

Well Holgrem looks to be looking for a GM Job...Billick I think he would beat out...Gruden & Cowher will probably find jobs but theres a expected 7-8 Head Coaching jobs this offseason...If Zimmer wants it I'm sure he can find HC job in the next 2 years its just a matter of if he does because of his family...

We're way off topic but..

7-8?

Well, Buffalo just fired Juaron, so there's one. Holmgren would fit there.

Cleveland - Mangini

DC - Zorn (Holmgren or Shanahan?)

Chicago - Smith

SD - Turner

Oakland - Cable

Maybe Fisher in TN?

Maybe Coughlin, if the losing continues?

One word for you willy - Owned. My comments own anything you've brought to the table.

Scoreboard.

Post of the year. Right there. wow.

Fanene's a DAWG!!!

We're way off topic but..

7-8?

Well, Buffalo just fired Juaron, so there's one. Holmgren would fit there.

Cleveland - Mangini

DC - Zorn (Holmgren or Shanahan?)

Chicago - Smith

SD - Turner

Oakland - Cable

Maybe Fisher in TN?

Maybe Coughlin, if the losing continues?

When did Buffalo fire Jauron? I haven't seen that anywhere. Also, McCarthy in GB might be looking for a new job and possibly Raheem in TB.

Scoreboard.

Post of the year. Right there. wow.

Hey we're winning right... We should be having a good time! I love you guys.

Really though, I think a lot of teams like to take risks on "new blood" rather than old timers.. IE Tomlin, Coughlin (even though he's a grandpa), M. Lewis, Mangini, Romeo Crenel, etc.

Of course Cowher and Shanahan come to mind first. Holmgren will likely go the Big Tuna route and look to run the show..

I "like" Zimmers chances.

Really though, I think a lot of teams like to take risks on "new blood" rather than old timers.. IE Tomlin, Coughlin (even though he's a grandpa), M. Lewis, Mangini, Romeo Crenel, etc.

Of course Cowher and Shanahan come to mind first. Holmgren will likely go the Big Tuna route and look to run the show..

I "like" Zimmers chances.

Gizzle, we all flub it up here and there. No one is immune.

That you place Coughlin in the list of "new blood" could be just a mistake. If not, you must really be an NFL novice.

Coughlin has been an NFL head coach for almost 15 years. The others are "new blood". Did you mean someone else?

Now, I am not nitpicking you, but, seriously? Coughlin is anything but new blood.

:lmao: You're killing me, Greg. Threads get off topic all the time just like normal conversations do. I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's all good.

I understand. I didn't close this one...just reworked the title. See? Flexibility.

I closed the other two, however, because they've broken down into piss fights and once again Fredo. Other mods can disagree, I'm not a fan of threads getting off topic to just circle around to the same old Fredo fights that only serve to agitate.