Down the stretch - Injuries

kingwilly

This team can make the playoffs.

However, the in-season injuries are mounting. Odom - IR. Henry - IR. Roy W. - IR.

I was vocal about working a trade to get a replacement for Odom. The depth on the D-line has done well to replace him but can that happen everytime a starter, or serious contributor goes down? We may be luckier than in past years but I don't think we'll be that lucky.

Bringing up Purify from the PS is smart but they could have gone and gotten a WR off the street. I prefer that Purify fills in and gets a chance because they players they have at WR are elite.

With Roy gone, they must now look to Ndukwe and Nelson to handle the load. Ndukwe is a true SS, having had to play some LB when all the LBs got hurt a couple of years ago. I have seen him be undisciplined in coverage and cost this team scores, especially in the Houston game.

Nelson is more versatile, runs like a CB and can hit like a safety. Inexperienced but talented, he could fill in from time to time.

They could bring in a guy I just read about, a pro bowl player who is thought to have lost a step, and move him over to safety. Getting his experience and knack for finding the ball could help if Ndukwe struggles. Chris McCallister, who is mentioned here,LINK, has been working his way back and may merit a look. I wonder what ML thinks of Chris, or what Zimmer thinks.

Also, just showing up on PFT, is the suggestion that the Bengals may look at Larry Johnson. Seems more of a stretch that the idea of McCallister getting here, but with SoP, you never know. I think he has worn threadbare but if Leonard or Scott end up hurt it could be worth looking at him.

I'm likely in a small minority, but I think the Bengals have been lucky in that the season-ending injuries they've endured (not including Kelly and Utecht) have been at positions of depth. I think Roy and Henry can be replaced by the players directly behind them without much dropoff in production (Henry to Purify is a notable talent dropoff, but I don't think the drop in production will mirror that). Even Odom has been replaced by players who're already showing the capability to do just as much good as he was doing. I don't think there's an immediate need to bring someone in, but if we take any other injuries at those thinned units I'll definitely change my tune.

Expanding on that last note, Frostee better get well soon.

I'm likely in a small minority, but I think the Bengals have been lucky in that the season-ending injuries they've endured (not including Kelly and Utecht) have been at positions of depth. I think Roy and Henry can be replaced by the players directly behind them without much dropoff in production (Henry to Purify is a notable talent dropoff, but I don't think the drop in production will mirror that). Even Odom has been replaced by players who're already showing the capability to do just as much good as he was doing. I don't think there's an immediate need to bring someone in, but if we take any other injuries at those thinned units I'll definitely change my tune.

Expanding on that last note, Frostee better get well soon.

Mathis, Rivers, now Benson.

How was Hall's arm, any note online?

I hope Benson is just a minor, albeit painful, hip strain.

Trent played his best game. Still would not mind taking a look at McCallister to add depth at CB/S.

Only person I'm really worried about is Benson but we're in a good stretch of games for players to rest...

Does it hurt losing some of these guys? sure but we've played fine without Odom & Roy...Chris well it sucks but we're deep at WR for a reason.

PS,Trent being Raw 6th round cornerback has played superb I thought...Guy has been playing real nice.

Trent played very well.

Let's not borrow trouble. We have some "less challenging" games coming, hopefully we can rest some guys.

Agree but sometimes the "less challenging" games can be the most challenging games. Going the whole way out to Oakland, could be tougher then what we think, i watched that oakland/Philly game and if Oakland wants to they can play ball. They need to keep playing with the intensity they have the last couple of weeks, they cannot over look these games coming up. Just saying.

Trent played very well.

Let's not borrow trouble. We have some "less challenging" games coming, hopefully we can rest some guys.

Agree but sometimes the "less challenging" games can be the most challenging games. Going the whole way out to Oakland, could be tougher then what we think, i watched that oakland/Philly game and if Oakland wants to they can play ball. They need to keep playing with the intensity they have the last couple of weeks, they cannot over look these games coming up. Just saying.

Not to mention it's a long trip next 3 should be wins but shouldn't be taken likely..any given sunday

Trent played very well.

Not to mention it's a long trip next 3 should be wins but shouldn't be taken likely..any given sunday

Oh, no doubt. There are no true gimmies in the NFL. But you know what has impressed me the most this year? Our depth. Look at today:

Benson goes down? Scott excels.

Hall goes out. Trent is a blanket.

No Mathis? Who heard Livings' name this game?

No Rivers? I'm honestly not sure that B. Johnson isn't better.

In short:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

We have had some injuries and the surprising thing is how well the back ups have been performing.

Morgan Trent has been something of an eye opener as he was not a particularly popular draft choice with a lot of negativity written about him. Looks like he is learning the basics quickly and learning them well.

A prolonged absence for Benson will hurt but in saying that when he went off today I had no idea how we would win against the Steelers. Everyone is stepping in and thats a testament to the coaches and the mindset being imprinted on this team.

Trent played very well.

Oh, no doubt. There are no true gimmies in the NFL. But you know what has impressed me the most this year? Our depth. Look at today:

Benson goes down? Scott excels.

Hall goes out. Trent is a blanket.

No Mathis? Who heard Livings' name this game?

No Rivers? I'm honestly not sure that B. Johnson isn't better.

In short:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

Agree B. Johnson could be the LB out there, he needs to play more not sure how they do that, but he is just been awsome all year long.

Agree B. Johnson could be the LB out there, he needs to play more not sure how they do that, but he is just been awsome all year long.

Brandon played as well as I've ever seen him play.

If they can get Rey ready to run the middle, they can get Brandon in from the outside.

Dhani has done very well, hard to complain, but if ou are putting your best 11 on the field, Brandon Johnson needs to see the field more.

Brandon played as well as I've ever seen him play.

If they can get Rey ready to run the middle, they can get Brandon in from the outside.

Dhani has done very well, hard to complain, but if ou are putting your best 11 on the field, Brandon Johnson needs to see the field more.

Agreed. Notice how tall he looks compared to the rest of the line. Usually tall LBs are at a disadvantage because of leverage and pad level. He plays fast. agressive, and with a purpose. Almost Javon Kerse-like out there. Getting him more snaps will be a big plus.

The Bengals have proven that they have excellent depth which is great. But even with that, we cannot afford to lose a starter to serious injury every week like we have recently to Roy, Henry and Odom. If Ced's is just a one or two week injury, fine. Injuries are a part of playing in the NFL but you still can only handle so many of them with a 53 man roster. Hopefully our run of injuries is due to playing so many games in the physical AFC North. No team could play 16 AFC North games and come out of it with a healthy roster.