Henry's future

scxeezy

According to this article on Yahoo, this the last year of Chris Henry's contract. With the broken arm, what do you think will happen to him next year? Do the Bengals re-sign him? Do they let him walk? Or does another team take him from us with a bigger or better offer? Does this injury help or hurt our chances of re-signing him?

The question is how much they'll want him. They have Caldwell as an up-and-comer. Chad and Coles still have a couple of years left, anyway. They'll need some new blood in a few years, certainly, but I don't know that Henry's the answer to that question. I think the question about Henry will be twofold:

1) will he ever become a blocker?

2) what happened to his downfield threat before the arm?

He didn't seem to be as dangerous downfield this year as I'd expected. Might have been mitigating circumstances, don't know. And he still can't block, so he's a passing-downs only sort of guy.

So if they want to re-sign him, I don't know that I'd throw a big offer at him. Then again, I'm not sure what other team would come in with a fantastic offer, so he may end up here anyway.

I thought we'd see more from Henry this year than we did. Not sure what happens with him now.

Either way, they only re-sign him to a fair offer for a 4th WR, as that is all he is on this team, or he walks if he wants starters money. He'll end up in prison in a couple of yrs if he leaves.

His situation seems much better now for his family. His new agent seems to have helped him focus and the Bengals, or rather Mikey, have given him a bujilionth chance. Maybe he realises how lucky he is and what a good place he is in for right now and settles for that. Or not.

No biggie for us either way.

I had begun to tie-in this being his contract year with the seemingly under-used nature in which they were playing him. Kind of the coaches way to hold him back, so to speak.

I actually think they will sign him ling-term, depending on how his arm heals. Should not be a big deal, clean breaks heal pretty quick, and it was not right on a joint <no pun intended> but well above the wrist. As for his deep speed, he looked good catching the bomb last week...

He is young and does have rhythm with Carson, and Carson like him, so you've got that. I also think this team will need his type of talent, as it is rarer than the talent that Caldwell and Quan bring. Chad is still playing at a high level but for how long, and this will likely be Coles last stop. Remove those two in two seasons and what are you left with? Chatman, who also will not be around?

Simpson has yet to prove he can play in the NFL, Purify could be decent but he does not have deep speed, Caldwell and Quan are slot, middle range WR's. I thought Freddie brown showed promise. The good news is this upcoming draft is very deep at WR.

Caldwell is being underrated here. He replaces Chad in the long-term. Book it. He has incredible speed. He's also versatile, that's why he's used in the middle right now.

Well, he's straight-up replaced TJ *now*. I'm fully counting him as a long-term solution for us at WR. But we still need another long-term starter soon, Chad and Coles are getting up there in age, and WRs usually take a couple years to develop.

Actually, it's kind of interesting that between Caldwell and Leonard, we've replaced everything TJ could do except the b*tching. We've got the end-zone receiver and fantastic hands in Caldwell, and the "go get me 5 yards of YAC for a 1st down dragging 7 guys with you" in Leonard. Very happy about that.

Assuming no collective bargaining agreement is reached, Henry will not be an unrestricted FA. I assume the Bengals will make him a qualifying offer and then see what he gets from other teams. The Bengals will be in the driver's seat.

If he wants to give a discount and try and have big season here sure resign him,But my guess would be he wants to go somewhere he has a chance of atleast earning 2# job

I can name 10 teams that would line up to sign Henry, now that he's straightened up his act.

1. Ravens

2. NE

3. Dallas

4. San Diego

5. Jax

6. Carolina

7. Redskins

8. Chicago

9. Seattle

10. STL

We won't be getting him on the cheap, unless we lock him up now.

I could have sworn Henry was an UFA after 2009.

Caldwell is being underrated here. He replaces Chad in the long-term. Book it. He has incredible speed. He's also versatile, that's why he's used in the middle right now.

Well, he's straight-up replaced TJ *now*. I'm fully counting him as a long-term solution for us at WR. But we still need another long-term starter soon, Chad and Coles are getting up there in age, and WRs usually take a couple years to develop.

Actually, it's kind of interesting that between Caldwell and Leonard, we've replaced everything TJ could do except the b*tching. We've got the end-zone receiver and fantastic hands in Caldwell, and the "go get me 5 yards of YAC for a 1st down dragging 7 guys with you" in Leonard. Very happy about that.

Indeed. Caldwell takes Chad's place. Maybe Simpson and his paddle-like hands can replace Coles in the future. The exact opposite of what many thought last draft but either way, problem solved. I agree about Leonard. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Caldwell alone replaces TJ right here and now. Leonard is an incredible added bonus who kind of acts like the release a PB FB/3rd down back would be but in rolled into one ball of awesomness.

If he wants to give a discount and try and have big season here sure resign him,But my guess would be he wants to go somewhere he has a chance of atleast earning 2# job

I can name 10 teams that would line up to sign Henry, now that he's straightened up his act.

1. Ravens

2. NE

3. Dallas

4. San Diego

5. Jax

6. Carolina

7. Redskins

8. Chicago

9. Seattle

10. STL

We won't be getting him on the cheap, unless we lock him up now.

Now that he's straightened out his act. Maybe. His agent or PR guy or whoever the guy was that he hired is local I believe. Put him up in a house he owns etc. He has a great support base here, right on down from the owner himself to teamates - Fanene in particular. He doesn't have that in those other places.

I'm not saying teams won't be interested, of course they will, or even that he stays here. His yrs and yrs of idiotic decisions and phucking up constantly aren't just erased or cured after 12 months though. Especially when those 12 months have been saturated with a support base.

Unless his next contract is with the Bengals, I wouldn't put any money down on him seeing out his next contract for the entire length.

But still, no biggie for us at all.

I like Slim and the Gayvens have always been terrified of him but unless he really wants to be here...I say let him test the waters and if he leaves he leaves...but I agree with Pidge no biggie.

His production doesn't make me feel like we can't get that kind of production through Caldwell, Simpson, Cosby or Purify. Or even another guy through the draft.

When the current CBA was re-opened by the owners some rules changed. One of the rules that favored the players was that there'd be no cap next year but the owners aren't stupid. They got something too. They got unrestricted free agency eligibility pushed back to 6 years from the current four. Chris Henry has only five years if you include all his suspensions as time served.

I like Slim and the Gayvens have always been terrified of him but unless he really wants to be here...I say let him test the waters and if he leaves he leaves...but I agree with Pidge no biggie.

His production doesn't make me feel like we can't get that kind of production through Caldwell, Simpson, Cosby or Purify. Or even another guy through the draft.

I'm a big Chris Henry fan but honestly we are now in a position where we can handle his departure with the emergence of guys like Caldwell and the acquisition of Coles. Having folks like Cosby, Simpson and Purify in the wings helps out as well.

Injuries are a part of the NFL and luckily WR was one of our deepest positions. Sucks for Chris Henry personally though

Mike Brown likes him and it seems like Henry has some loyalty to Mike and is thankful for getting another opportunity. I think he re-signs with the Bengals.

30 seconds after the injury, Mike was on his cell instructing his wife to make up the guest room. Henry's probably rehabbing there, watching the Pittsburgh game in his Transformer jammies, slurping up some chicken soup (made from a white-labelled generic can, Mike's not mad of money you know).

Mike Brown likes him and it seems like Henry has some loyalty to Mike and is thankful for getting another opportunity. I think he re-signs with the Bengals.

30 seconds after the injury, Mike was on his cell instructing his wife to make up the guest room. Henry's probably rehabbing there, watching the Pittsburgh game in his Transformer jammies, slurping up some chicken soup (made from a white-labelled generic can, Mike's not mad of money you know).

Jealousy is an ugly emotion COB.

I think if we don't resign him, we'll regret having to play him twice a season.

Cleveland is in desperate need of a quality veteran receiver.

As far as I know, Hue Jackson still works for the Ravens so that makes them the most likely landing spot for Henry.

Ben Roethlisberger has bitched in the past that he doesn't have that tall end-zone threat at WR, so I could definitely see him landing there.

The teams in the AFC North know Henry's abilities the best and all three could use him. I think demand will be high and it would hurt us more than you guys realize if he left.

I too am a big CHenry fan, the kid has talent, but couldn't keep his head on straight...With all the run-ins with the law and the team still staying with him, and even when he was out of the league no one gave him a shot but MBrown, so I think that he may have some loyalty to MBrown and stay with the team...Besides he sees what they have become and I'm sure he wants to be a part of it...

I can't believe some of you guys think we'd be fine to let Henry walk..

IMO, Henry stays in Cincinnati.

One player doesn't make a team. I think you'll see we'll do fine the rest of the season without him. That being said, he's been great since he came back and I would love to have him back because that's another weapon we can use against the Stealers and Ravens.