Cedric Bensons Carries

chrishcovga

Ok, just saw that Larry Johnson is going to be released by the Chiefs. Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard are decent players, but Benson is on pace for 396 carries and we all know what happens to runningbacks the years after they carry for more than 375!!

No one's gonna' pay Larry Johnsons' salary, and he'll become a free agent, but SOMEBODY has to start getting more carries and effective carries or Bensons' going to be running on tired legs in December when we play 3 games of the four on the road!

The offense has looked far better, but Bensons' carries are too high, so a change of offensive philosophy has to happen to make a playoff run. We have 4 guaranteed wins coming up. Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Chiefs, that's 10 wins with another win out of the games against Vikings, Jets, Squeelers, and Chargers 11 Wins gets us into the playoffs and maybe the division.

* Either way, Benson is here for 2 years, and hard to see Mikey and company paying a 28 year old running back top dollar, so better start thinking about the backs in the '2010 draft.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The # of carries does need to come down, but there's no way we bring in someone like Johnson.

Was Scott still injured yesterday?

Nah, he was dressed. But only Brian Leonard got carries. He's a plodder, not really a threat, I'd like to see Scott get more carries, but in 2010, I'm thinking Dwyer or Charles Scott will be there at the bottom of round 1. " I'm not saying, I'm just Saying"

Yeah, Edgerrin James looking a little bit better than Larry Johnson right about now.

That said, I think the team has been building up its steam, racking up those victories. We get into the 'easier' part of the schedule, and solidify our position, with Oakland, KC, Cleveland, I'd be greatly surprised if Ced doesn't lighten up in favor of Scott, etc. Besides, I think one reason Ced gets the ball so much is because, as all winners do, he wants the ball so much. He's still relatively young since he has yet to play a full 16 game schedule, so I think it'll all work out.

Brat's abuse of Rb's is borderline criminal.

I also am concerned that the offensive droughts happen when that same RB, when approaching 30+ carries, is simply tired and ineffective. Witness Ced's 2nd half carries:

2nd-5, CIN8 12:28 C. Benson rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

1st-10, CIN14 11:05 C. Benson rushed to the right for 1 yard gain

2nd-9, CIN15 10:24 C. Benson rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

2nd-11, CIN14 6:49 C. Benson rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

2nd-4, CIN24 4:17 C. Benson rushed up the middle for 2 yard gain

1st-10, BAL42 2:50 C. Benson rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

2nd-6, BAL38 2:12 C. Benson rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

1st-10, CIN9 12:48 C. Benson rushed up the middle for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, CIN12 12:07 C. Benson rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

1st-10, CIN28 10:39 C. Benson rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

1st-10, CIN40 9:32 C. Benson rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, CIN42 8:50 C. Benson rushed to the left for 1 yard gain

Cincinnati - 6:12

1st-10, CIN28 6:12 C. Benson rushed to the right for 5 yard loss

2nd-15, CIN23 5:30 C. Benson rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

2nd-7, BAL28 1:04 C. Benson rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

---------------------------------

What does that remind you of? Ruuuudi. 14 carries with only 3 of them going for more than 3 yards, and none longer than 6.

Yeah it's Baltimore, but I would contend this is more of a trend and that Ced could use some more spells, in order to keep drives alive, versus putting the offense in constant 3rd and long situations, and making games closer than they need to.

I did have the thought yesterday that they were in a position where they simply couldn't afford a fumble. Hopefully they'll gain more trust in Scott as the year goes on, and they'll trust him a little more in those situations.

Yep, then don't wait until the last dead duck drive with under a minute left to give it to Leonard more often, who should have fresh legs - not that there was much room to run, my big concern is just the wear and tear on Benson with half of the season to go.

Ced wasn't tired in the 2nd half, it was Baltimore! Ceddy destroyed them in the 1st half and they decided they were going to commit to stop the run. They did a good job in the 2nd half.

I do agree he needs to be spelled more. Keep him around 25-30 carries. I didn't mind running him 37 times vs. the Bears b/c of Ced's revenge and the injuries but you can't keep running this dude in the ground or he'll be like Rudi and be worthless after 2 years of this. He'll get a helluva lot of carries this weekend vs. the Squeelers as well, as long as its effective.

The Larry Johnson thing is a good idea to get Ced some help but that dude is just retarded. I'll pass.

I do agree about maybe drafting one next year, but not Charles Scott, that dude is not even a 2nd round pick let alone a late 1st rounder. Dwyer intrigues me b/c I think he's legit but I wonder how he'll be evaluated b/c Georgia Tech runs that triple option 90% of the time. I'd rather have Spiller or Jahvid Best.

Bring him in for a workout. Have him play "Ghost of RB Future" to show Bratkowski what happens when you pound a guy 400 times in a year.

I've been hoping for a blowout where we could rest him. Problem is, the one blowout came in a game where you'd need a straightjacket to get him off the field. Looking forward to the softer part of the sched.

The gameplan for most NFL teams is to use your bellcow in the first half and then use your fresh legged, speedy guy in the 2nd half. I expect to see more of that in the future as Scott gets feeling better

I think once we get past Pittsburgh they'll ease up on his carries and let Scott get some more. Yesterday's game and this week's game are too important to have the chance of Scott fumbling or turning the ball over. I know he had a good preseason, but he also had a couple of fumbles and the Stealers would make us pay for those. But against Detroit, KC, Oakland, and Cleveland we would be able to overcome it if he were to turn it over.

I think once we get past Pittsburgh they'll ease up on his carries and let Scott get some more. Yesterday's game and this week's game are too important to have the chance of Scott fumbling or turning the ball over. I know he had a good preseason, but he also had a couple of fumbles and the Stealers would make us pay for those. But against Detroit, KC, Oakland, and Cleveland we would be able to overcome it if he were to turn it over.

Agreed. Hopefully this is true.

Pass on Best. Two concussions in two weeks - a severe one on Sat. In this division, he'll last all of a week.

Very true. Would you take a chance on him if he slipped to the 3rd round?

With his talent - I think I might have to. He's been unlucky, he's not frail or anything but man, two in two weeks and on Sat he looked fuct up. One hit from one of the cheap shot artists in this division and that's that.

A blurb from one of Hobson's articles:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Monday-update-Henry-to-IR-Kooistra-back/d6b7a0d7-a283-442d-b7f1-50e37bf93e57

He said he's not concerned about Benson's current pace that would give him 396 carries for the season, but he also said with Bernard Scott and and Brian Leonard getting over injuries now he did expect to give them some more carries. "He won't be the sole ball carrier," Lewis said. Yet he added the caveat if that's what it takes to win...

After the Steelers game, I think we'll start seeing Benson's carries come down to around 20 to 23 a game, and you'll start seeing Scott and Leonard split 10 to 15 touches.

We have a stretch of games coming up: OAK, CLE, DET

I think in those three games you'll see Benson get some rest and some of the other guys like Scott and Leonard get some carries. They really do need to keep him around 20-25 carries, this 30+ carries is ridiculous.

A blurb from one of Hobson's articles:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Monday-update-Henry-to-IR-Kooistra-back/d6b7a0d7-a283-442d-b7f1-50e37bf93e57

He said he's not concerned about Benson's current pace that would give him 396 carries for the season, but he also said with Bernard Scott and and Brian Leonard getting over injuries now he did expect to give them some more carries. "He won't be the sole ball carrier," Lewis said. Yet he added the caveat if that's what it takes to win...

After the Steelers game, I think we'll start seeing Benson's carries come down to around 20 to 23 a game, and you'll start seeing Scott and Leonard split 10 to 15 touches.

Yeah, that was from his 1pm news conference today. Marvin's aware of the issue.

In fact you gotta hand it to this team how they addressed "our' concerns this year.

It started with Center and the O-line; then we complained about TE...enter Foschi then we complain about long snapper...Notice how we forget about these problems after awhile because they get fixed?

I have a question for the hand wringers.

If I told you Cedric Benson will get another 37 carries this week against the Steelers....would that news make you happy or sad?

Just saying....

Well, I'm not really complaining about his carries, just concerned about wearing him out, but 37 carries for Ced more than likely means we win the game so I'm not going to complain about that. If we talking about any of the easier games after that there's really no reason for it.

I'm not one of the ones overly worried about his share of carries, but if I had to answer that question Hair, I would say VERY happy.

37 carries means the Bengals win the game after getting out to a decent lead and were able to control the clock by running the ball.

No lose scenario that couldn't help but make EVERYONE smile, as we would be alone in first place after season sweeps of both the Ravens AND Steelers. Benson can take a nap after that happens and we start an easier workload...

Then again, I'm sure someone would find reason to complain.