Ravens Game Blacked Out Locally....NOT

ShulaSteakhouse

I love being wrong every once in a while!

But seriously, I'm surprised this happened.

Why? The whole thing is quite clearly a marketing scheme to sell every last possible crappy ticket before local advertisers and the team cut a deal to make sure companies get their spots and the Bengals don't lose any precious local (and non-shared) ad revenues.

According to one poster over at go-bengals, all you could buy for this game alone were nosebleed seats. There were lower-level seats available, but to get those you had to buy the multi-game package they're offering.

What does it say that the Bengals were confident enough of getting to "sellout" level that they held those seats apart?

I don't believe for a minute there was any serious chance of the game being blacked out.

Good point - but I don't remember this happening in season's past?

Because it didn't. Prior to this year, from 2004 to now I believe season tickets were sold out so they didn't need to sell single tickets to avoid blackouts.

My point exactly from the initial post - for whatever reason a contingent of fans don't believe in this team yet, as in year's past these games were already sold out. Here we are 9 weeks into the season and they're still having to play these games to get them on TV.

It's not that I'm being "negative" so much as just stating a fact, and am somewhat surprised that at this point they aren't selling out at faster, being 5-2.

Well, in all honesty it's probably a combination of frustration with the way things went last year and the economy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love being wrong every once in a while!

But seriously, I'm surprised this happened.

Why? The whole thing is quite clearly a marketing scheme to sell every last possible crappy ticket before local advertisers and the team cut a deal to make sure companies get their spots and the Bengals don't lose any precious local (and non-shared) ad revenues.

According to one poster over at go-bengals, all you could buy for this game alone were nosebleed seats. There were lower-level seats available, but to get those you had to buy the multi-game package they're offering.

What does it say that the Bengals were confident enough of getting to "sellout" level that they held those seats apart?

I don't believe for a minute there was any serious chance of the game being blacked out.

Good point - but I don't remember this happening in season's past?

Because it didn't. Prior to this year, from 2004 to now I believe season tickets were sold out so they didn't need to sell single tickets to avoid blackouts.

My point exactly from the initial post - for whatever reason a contingent of fans don't believe in this team yet, as in year's past these games were already sold out. Here we are 9 weeks into the season and they're still having to play these games to get them on TV.

It's not that I'm being "negative" so much as just stating a fact, and am somewhat surprised that at this point they aren't selling out at faster, being 5-2.

I don't think you are being negative in the least and I think it's a good point that is lost on some here for some reason.

Point being, the Bengals never had to wait to the last minute, get extensions, hope someone was willing to buy up the remaining tickets, or anything of that nature to get the games to sell out and the blackout lifted.

It is debateable as to the reason for this however. Call it a lack of faith in the team, the economic issues hitting people hard, or name your reason. Anyway around I see it as a combination of a bunch of things...