Best D in the AFC North?

ct_bengal

Also, we're doing quite well against the run it seems.

Quite well is a bit of an understatement. They're allowing only 88 yards/game... which is good for 5th best in the NFL. They also have only allowed 3 runs of 20 yards or more... and none of over 24 yards. That's damned impressive.

Also consider that in all of these games, except Chicago, the Bengals were behind for large portions if not the majority of the time. This means that the other team would be inclined to run the ball to eat the clock... but were unable to. Props to the front 7!

Quite well is a bit of an understatement. They're allowing only 88 yards/game... which is good for 5th best in the NFL. They also have only allowed 3 runs of 20 yards or more... and none of over 24 yards. That's damned impressive.

Also consider that in all of these games, except Chicago, the Bengals were behind for large portions if not the majority of the time. This means that the other team would be inclined to run the ball to eat the clock... but were unable to. Props to the front 7!

By quite well I meant, of course, exceptionally well. It's the Britisher in me.

Quite.

Points allowed, the standard by which defenses are really measured, as points allowed is kinda important...9th in the NFL at 18.2 ppg.

Yep, the Raiders a couple of yrs back were a top 5 D. They weren't of course, they couldn't stop a brick rolling uphill but their O was so terrible that they often only had to defend from their own 40 yd line. Yards are a decent indicator but pts win and lose games. So I'll keep our 28th ranked pass D if on the flip side we stay top 10 in pts allowed.

Points allowed, the standard by which defenses are really measured, as points allowed is kinda important...9th in the NFL at 18.2 ppg.

Once again, our defense is not giving up 18.2 ppg. Our team is giving up 18.2 ppg. I think our defense is allowing something like 14 or 15 points per game. I can think of at least 3 TDs allwed by our offense just off the top of my head. That alone would put our defense at 15 points per game.

3? I can think of the two pick-sixes but coming up blank as to any others. I agree though, that another 2 pts a game shaved off right there. Allowing an average of 15/16 pts means our offense has to score a shade over 2 TDs a game to win means we should be in the mix come January.

Keep up the more focused, less penalty saturated performance of last Sunday up offense.

Plenty of other defenses in the league are the victims of that problem, Pong. We're not the only team in the NFL to allow defensive touchdowns. If you're going to nitpick about those points, then you'd best offer the same for the rest of the top ten to ensure we'd even move up.

Once again, our defense is not giving up 18.2 ppg. Our team is giving up 18.2 ppg. I think our defense is allowing something like 14 or 15 points per game. I can think of at least 3 TDs allwed by our offense just off the top of my head. That alone would put our defense at 15 points per game.

We have given up 2 TD's via pick 6. No special teams TD's or fumble returns for TD's. Without those, we've given up 16.2 PPG.

Same for Pitt. Balt has given up 1.

So, we have the given up the least PURELY defensive points so far in the division by a thin margin.

I sense most top teams are similar, so it probably is a wash.

I guess I should elaborate. I believe the difference between the Pittsburgh and Baltimore's defense and Cincinnati's is Polamalu and Reed. If you take Cincinnati's defense 10 other positions I take Cincinnati's young LBer corp, I take the Defensive Line, and I take the Corners but the safety position is so huge for these defenses that it tilts the balance completely.

They have a elite safety & better Pass rush...But we're Younger & Faster plus we have the best cornerbacks in the division...truthfully I wouldn't trade our defense for either of theirs though next year If Berry & mays are off the board I want best passrusher available.

Jesus. You people are morons. Better D than Pittsburgh and Baltimore? Because we trounced the Bears? Do you knuckleheads not remember what happened against Houston? Seriously. This Jekyll/Hyde team could lose 45-10 to either the Ravens or Steelers, if they aren't careful. I'm hearing the same s**t I heard after we beat the Ravens two weeks ago. I'm wondering: are you the same dumbass "fans" who wouldn't buy tickets to the Texans game?

"Clears Voice"

Dear Moron,Please check facts before you come on here insulting people

Ravens

Chiefs scored 24

Chargers Scored 26

Patriots 27

Vikings 33

pts:19th Pass:23rd Rush 7th

This is with playing one less game let's wait and judge until they play the broncos to only further our improvement on them.

Steelers

Chargers 28

Bengals 23

Vikings 24 (they got screwed hardcore out of a TD) really 17

Pts 10th Pass 15th rush 2nd

Bengals

Greenbay:24 (14 pts given up by carson)

Texans 28 (The one game the D loses with no help from the offense

Scoring 8th Passing 28th rushing 5th

So well we may have given up some big passing plays WERE STILL 8th in scoring,Yes I would say that's good and Yes we are ahead of the Ravens right now though still behind the Steelers but not enough to call people morons thats just RETARDED

I say this with all the love in the world, and from experience: Some of you are getting ahead of yourselves. In Baltimore we were waiting for offense for years. Kyle Boller would play well for a few weeks in a row and the less, um, grounded fans would start claiming that our offense had arrived and start comparing stats with teams with good offenses, like your Bengals. Here's what you can say as fact: Your defense is not a liability and is in fact helping you win games. Wait for grand analysis until the end of the season. It is possible that your defense implodes, it's possible our defense rights the ship. Halfway through the season is good for seeing trends, but not for making conclusions. I'm not ready to claim the Ravens have the best offense in the division, even though we've scored 30 more points than you, with one less game.

and Kazkal: Best. Signature. Ever.

Indeed stuff can change Arizona Bengals D jumped to 12th in the 2nd half where was in the twentys for the first...But for right now we just really have 7 games to go off of...Hell after 3 games the talking heads were talking about the Ravens offense was by far best in NFL got to week 6 and people weren't thinking that anymore ...It's like Bazaro World though Ravens Offense Looking Good well the Defense took step backwards,Bengals Defense looking good when their offense took steps backwards.

PS,I'm glad you like my sig\ ;) getting the new sig ready for our next meeting though I Have a punishment sig for if we lose.

I say this with all the love in the world, and from experience: Some of you are getting ahead of yourselves. In Baltimore we were waiting for offense for years. Kyle Boller would play well for a few weeks in a row and the less, um, grounded fans would start claiming that our offense had arrived and start comparing stats with teams with good offenses, like your Bengals. Here's what you can say as fact: Your defense is not a liability and is in fact helping you win games. Wait for grand analysis until the end of the season. It is possible that your defense implodes, it's possible our defense rights the ship. Halfway through the season is good for seeing trends, but not for making conclusions. I'm not ready to claim the Ravens have the best offense in the division, even though we've scored 30 more points than you, with one less game.

and Kazkal: Best. Signature. Ever.

Az, our defense has been playing good for the last two seasons now bud.. Not just 7 games. Our Bengals D is right there with yours. Its gonna come down to who can win on offense. By the looks of things (destroying the Bears) I would be pretty worried as a Baltimore fan.

Blimey, Guvnah! Bollocks, just threw a shrimp on me barbie over that tosser, Bob's your uncle then, righto!

That's it, that's all the British I've got, and some of it I'm not sure what it means.

Blimey, Guvnah! Bollocks, just threw a shrimp on me barbie over that tosser, Bob's your uncle then, righto!

That's it, that's all the British I've got, and some of it I'm not sure what it means.

You know more than you let on. Ever call me a convict again and I'll maim you. Fair warning.

That should confuddle you.

I think at this point Baltimore is living off their defensive reputation more so than their actual defense. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good defense, but not dominant. They are getting old, taking more chances, and I think Reed is slowing down just a bit. It is no longer a defense that can win a game for them. The offense needs to score points for Baltimore to win games now, it never was this way in the past. IMO the Bengals have a better all around D than the Ravens.

Pittsburgh has the horses as well as the coaching. They are a much better defense with Polamolu in there. He is what makes their D great. I think they are better than the Bengals, and there isn't much debate about it.

What makes the Bengals improved is they finally have some size and the ability to hit on D. It has taken a number of years, but with Maualuga and Rivers they have two LB's who have the ability to punish players. Dhani as the MLB is a smart, smart football player. The corners are very good as long as the Bengals get some pressure. No CB can cover when the QB has all day to throw. I like the D line and it has some depth at DT. The two weaknesses are 3rd CB and S. Im not sold on Trent and after him there is little depth. At S Crocker doesn't have the speed to cover a 3rd WR or good TE, Williams hasn't been able to get on the field, and Chinny is still a work in progress. I agree an Eric Berry or Taylor Mays would look real nice in that secondary, I just don't see it happening.