After game Thoughts-Texans

Kazkal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memo from the "It could be worse" department:

With 6 minutes left in the FIRST HALF, it's Patriots 31, Titans 0.

My how the mighty have fallen.

now 38-0. 45-0 (jesus)

No sh*t. Fisher is dead if this keeps up.

52-0. :jawdrop:

At this point I'd give my left nut to get a win like that.

Memo from the "It could be worse" department:

With 6 minutes left in the FIRST HALF, it's Patriots 31, Titans 0.

My how the mighty have fallen.

now 38-0. 45-0 (jesus)

No sh*t. Fisher is dead if this keeps up.

52-0. :jawdrop:

:eek:

wow.

And the Titans just turned the ball over in the red zone...back-to-back Collins fumbles...did they sign Ghiacuic? :lol:

Houston is an underrated team. I think that they have two of the best players at their positions in Mario Williams and Andre Johnson. I can see now why they took Williams over Reggie Bush a few years back.

Our o-line was simply out-manned today. While I do feel like we abandoned the run too early in the third quarter, I think that is the best front four we have seen to date. Pass or run we just couldn't do much in most cases.

The dumb penalties and inopportune turnovers finally caught up to us today.

Daniel Coats is a serious liability and needs to go.

The loss of Peko and Odom changed the complexion of this game early.

The Bengals D continues to give up the long play too often. Somehow we have to be more prepared for the middle screen and the pass of the misdirection play. Seems to happens several times a week.

Wonder if the events of the last 4 weeks finally caught up to them. Three back-to-back divisional games, three outta four on the road, Vikki Zimmer's passing.....I wasn't surprised that they seemed flat for this one.

No Brian Leonard on third down.

Kevin Huber continues to punt well.

New snapper did well.

I've never heard the stadium as quiet as when they asked for a moment of silence for Vikki Zimmer.

Lot's to work on. Can't do much about the injuries but all of the other stuff is fixable.

Houston is an underrated team. I think that they have two of the best players at their positions in Mario Williams and Andre Johnson. I can see now why they took Williams over Reggie Bush a few years back.

Our o-line was simply out-manned today. While I do feel like we abandoned the run too early in the third quarter, I think that is the best front four we have seen to date. Pass or run we just couldn't do much in most cases.

The dumb penalties and inopportune turnovers finally caught up to us today.

Daniel Coats is a serious liability and needs to go.

The loss of Peko and Odom changed the complexion of this game early.

The Bengals D continues to give up the long play too often. Somehow we have to be more prepared for the middle screen and the pass of the misdirection play. Seems to happens several times a week.

Wonder if the events of the last 4 weeks finally caught up to them. Three back-to-back divisional games, three outta four on the road, Vikki Zimmer's passing.....I wasn't surprised that they seemed flat for this one.

No Brian Leonard on third down.

Kevin Huber continues to punt well.

New snapper did well.

I've never heard the stadium as quiet as when they asked for a moment of silence for Vikki Zimmer.

Lot's to work on. Can't do much about the injuries but all of the other stuff is fixable.

What he said. :sure:

Thanks Hoos'.

Key point in the game was the non-fumble near mid-field. If we get the ball there, we have a chance to go up 10 and all of the momentum going our way. Not sure why they didn't challenge on that one (or the one by Coats/Harrington? later) but that seemed to take the wind out of the team at that point.

A few points of interest from Lance's blog:

Postgame notes of note from the Texans

* Houston held Cincinnati to 46 total rushing yards. In the last three games, the Texans have surrendered a total of 145 yards, which is the lowest three-game total in team history.

* Houston's defense held Cincinnati to a mere 72 yards in the second half, 54 of which came on the Bengals' last possession that ended in an interception.

* Houston's 26 first downs in the game were tied for the second-most in franchise history. The team record is 29 vs. Detroit on 10/19/08.

* Houston held Cincinnati to six total yards in the third quarter, which is the lowest opponent yardage total the Texans surrendered in a third quarter in franchise history. The previous low was 10 yards in the third quarter at Chicago on 12/19/04.

* The Texans outrushed Cincinnati 87 to 46.

· Houston gained 472 yards of total offense in the game. It was the third-highest yardage total in franchise history and the best this season.

* Rookie DE Connor Barwin registered his first career sack when he tackled Cincinnati QB Carson Palmer for a nine-yard loss in the third quarter.

* QB Matt Schaub finished the game 28-of-40 for 392 yards with four touchdowns and one interception for a quarterback rating of 124.2.

* Schaub's 124.2 passer rating was second-highest of the season, behind only a 127.8 rating at Tennessee (9/20). Schaub has had a passer rating of 100 or better in three games this season.

Aside from the injuries to Odom and Peko, the calamitous performance (once again) of Coats, and the early abandonment of the running game, I am not too bummed about the Bengals performance today. I was nervous coming into this game because (1)the Texans may be inconsistent, but can be pretty explosive when they are on their game, and (2) it doesn't take a genius to have realized that, after last week's emotional roller coaster,the Bengals were primed for a letdown. Still,I don't think today was any disaster, just a bummer. On the bright side, Ocho had a pretty productive day, the OL only gave up one sack, and the special teams showed up. Graham kicked a 50 yarder, they got a blocked FG attempt,Jacoby Jones didn't break any long runs, and no one is complaining about alarming miscues from the long snapper. Also on the cup-is-full side, just think, if you get rid of a single player-Dan Coats-a big portion of the offense's problems could get solved. On a more general note, I can't complain about the fact that we're 3-0 in the division and on top of the AFC North after 6 games. Be honest, who wouldn't have been pleased with that when the season started?

Had to work a double yesterday, and didn't get to see the game, I hate when they lose and I can't see why...But it sounds like injuries hit us and DCoats dropped some good balls...Still happy about being in 1st place, a loss to a team that you thought you should beat @ home hurts, would have like to win with the Ravens losing...

This is what a saw... a flat team... It looked like the Buckeyes playing against Florida. Their speed killed us... And the D couldn't get off the field when it mattered the most..

Coats will be gone... at some point... But just like St. Louis when is the only question left.

Was at the game. Here's what I saw:

1. Pass coverage failed in leaving way too many guys wide open for big gains, and not stopping the screen passes for big gains. Made Matt Schaub and other no-name receivers not named Andre Johnson look like Montana and Rice, not to mention still getting torched by Johnson himself.

2. Offensive play calling was, once again, baffling. 3rd and 7, we toss three yard check down passes? 2nd and 9 and Ced goes up the middle for one?

3. Special teams still hurt. Too many big returns from Texans, our returners couldn't get out of their own way because the Texans were down the field too fast.

4. Conservative on the challenges. At least one lost fumble play should have been challenged by Marvin, possibly a second. Wouldn't pull the trigger.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Was at the game. Here's what I saw:

1. Pass coverage failed in leaving way too many guys wide open for big gains, and not stopping the screen passes for big gains. Made Matt Schaub and other no-name receivers not named Andre Johnson look like Montana and Rice, not to mention still getting torched by Johnson himself.

2. Offensive play calling was, once again, baffling. 3rd and 7, we toss three yard check down passes? 2nd and 9 and Ced goes up the middle for one?

3. Special teams still hurt. Too many big returns from Texans, our returners couldn't get out of their own way because the Texans were down the field too fast.

4. Conservative on the challenges. At least one lost fumble play should have been challenged by Marvin, possibly a second. Wouldn't pull the trigger.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Coats clearly fumbled. I thought it was smart not to challenge. Would have needed the TO

Greg, they would have been bad challenges. They were fumbles. Through and through.

As for those noting they were flat, well, yeah. I was among those who noted that was going to be a potential problem, coming on the heels of last week's emotional win and the funeral on Tuesday of Mrs. Zimmer. Emotional high carried them against Baltimore, the flip side of that, and with some defensive injuries, bit them against Houston.

Greg, they would have been bad challenges. They were fumbles. Through and through.

As for those noting they were flat, well, yeah. I was among those who noted that was going to be a potential problem, coming on the heels of last week's emotional win and the funeral on Tuesday of Mrs. Zimmer. Emotional high carried them against Baltimore, the flip side of that, and with some defensive injuries, bit them against Houston.

The second fumble I agree. The first one with Ocho, I believe, I'm not so sure. I thought he was down. But you don't know till you try.

This game had me worried before they played. I picked the Bengals to win but still had my doubts.

Houston has a lot of high draft picks and a good QB probley the best WR in the game. Def looked good yesterday. So this is not like losing to the Raiders. Houston is good.

You can't win them all yesterday was a day for good teams to lose and the Giants will tell you that. The Vikings won on a missed last second FG. So we lost its not the end of the world.

The second fumble I agree. The first one with Ocho, I believe, I'm not so sure. I thought he was down. But you don't know till you try.

Yeterdays game was yet another example of the importance of camera angles. Twice I watched a view that seemed to confirm an outcome beyond all doubt only to be followed by another angle that did in fact prove the opposite.

:wacko: