Final Thoughts on Browns Game

Kazkal

3-1.

They have yet to remotely play a good complete game on offense, or special teams for that matter, and they are 3-1.

That would never happen in previous years.

Never.

N.e.v.e.r.

The difference? Defense. Having one covers a lot of ills, and gives them a chance.

And, fair play to Carson, when the chips have been down, he is moving the team.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: Carson. He's not back to his best. I put that 80% on him and 20% on the O-line. What impressed the hell out of me though, even moreso than the last couple of weeks' efforts, is his desire to get it done when it is all on the line. Tucking that ball and running for the 1st down is the antithesis of what he's about and he must have had worries after his injuries and thoughts of a death in the NFL. When it came down to it, however, he did what needed to be done. So props to him for that.

In terms of execution and all round play everyone on the offense need to stop sucking ASAP though. 4 horrible games from them. It's a case of natural talent just managing to overcome the lack of professionalism. That won't and can't ;last forever though. It needs to change and quickly.

I agree with you on everything you said but nobody can question the effort that Ced Benson has been putting out, I didn't believe in him before the season started but he has been the offensive MVP at this point. Ced would have had more touchdowns if the Bengals would give it to him at the goal line and stop running some of those crazy plays.

Good point. He does well and they just go away from that all of a sudden. Maddening. Everyone on O, coords included need to sort their s**t out before we start losing these close games.

I don't know if anyone noticed because I didn't read the in-game thread, but on the game winning kick, somebody on the Bengals grabbed Rogers' arms and held them down.

I didn't see any arms being held out but the entire line went inside in direction of Rodgers lol... even Bobbie Williams was behind several players to make sure he didn't get by.

OT but Billy mentioned one of the Ravens was taken off on a board in the game thread. The guy was Jared Gaither. He has movement in all limbs.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813210c2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Good news.

That is good to hear. I know a guy who was partially paralysed back in my sporty days, lost movement in his left arm and that was bad enough. I'll take an extra corner any day over nerve/spinal cord damage.

I would also like to point out the irony of what good punting got us in this game. Huber did a great job punting getting both great yardage and good hang time, but if Larson would have been punting, the punts would have been too short for Cribbs to return like that and the game probably wouldn't have even been close.

I would also like to point out the irony of what good punting got us in this game. Huber did a great job punting getting both great yardage and good hang time, but if Larson would have been punting, the punts would have been too short for Cribbs to return like that and the game probably wouldn't have even been close.

huber's punting in ot just completely took cribs out of the game. huber should get the game ball for that!!

I think Huber was an unsung hero in this game. Finally in the 4th qtr we got the idea that we needed to be punting to the sidelines and not to the has marks. Huber just drops bombs every time his foot touches that ball and they land inside the 20. Don't know what was going on with our cover team -- without cribbs, though, this game wouldn't have been nearly as close.

The play calling this week was the most maddening it's been to me so far and carson was clearly frustrated at times. Too many drops (CJ had 2 at least, Ced another 2), dont' know why we didn't come out running etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line for me, though, is that the teams from 6-08 would have given up on this game. I'm not sure how much we can really know about Cleveland's mindset going into this game, but they didn't look like a team that had given up on their coach and they seemed to be playing lights out (in terms of intensity and effort) the entire game. Tough division win, on the road, against a team that was desperate to win.

All the pieces are there babies, let's just make them fit for one game. I'm going to go take a nap before the steelers lose. Who dey?!

Bottom line for me, though, is that the teams from 6-08 would have given up on this game. I'm not sure how much we can really know about Cleveland's mindset going into this game, but they didn't look like a team that had given up on their coach and they seemed to be playing lights out (in terms of intensity and effort) the entire game. Tough division win, on the road, against a team that was desperate to win.

Ding, ding, ding! Say what you want about the Brownies but they brought it today. Not saying that they are a good team but clearly they were not taking anything back to the locker room with them. Bengals did not play well -- again! -- and should be happy to leave Cleveburg with a win.

Frankly, I'm good with this win. Marvin couldn't have asked for better going into Baltimore. You thought you were all that? Think again. Get back to work.

Btw,I Really hope Andre is ready soon :| Cause I'm still not a fan of Collins on the right...Atm I'd rather see Roland start...

SoP will have to waive St. Elsewhere after this week. Really no excuse. Let Luigs long snap.

Collins is shaky. If they start Roland, that would be the end of Collins on the right side, with Fat Andre in the wings. Whit and Mathis are OK, so now we have some depth.

Roland is, to me, starter material at this point. Let him get in there and prove it.

As for this game, I am disappointed in the ST but this is the kind of game they used to lose, and now they win. Win, win, win. They all count, no matter how ugly. I also feel this was a let down week after the Pitt game.

On offense, they've got to get Henry more looks. Coles had drops again, which is troubling, as did Coates. Foschi made a nice play. B. Leonard ans Scott got more touches, and were effective. Got to plan more plays for them.

Defenseively, they need to get more pressure on the QB. Anderson should have been shut down. Not having Roy was noticeable in run support. How does Massaquoi get so many yards?

A win is a win is a win. 3-1, with this schedule, is very impressive. Very. Though there is work to be done. Seeing the team turn the corner and win games they used to lose makes me glad. They still play down to the competition, which is the next hurdle to overcome.

Btw,I Really hope Andre is ready soon :| Cause I'm still not a fan of Collins on the right...Atm I'd rather see Roland start...

On offense, they've got to get Henry more looks.

Um, yes, please? Watch the highlights. He had two catches, both somewhere around 15 yards and, most importantly, HE WAS OPEN! We have way too many weapons on offense for Carson to have to feather it in every pass. Throw to the open receiver which, most times, tends to be Henry. Get slim in the game people.

Any word on what Caldwell's injury is?

Any word if St. Louis has been told to pack his bags yet?

Collins is shaky. If they start Roland, that would be the end of Collins on the right side, with Fat Andre in the wings. Whit and Mathis are OK, so now we have some depth.

My Fingers were cross cook would play well and he has been,But Mathis has been playing great on the left side and really wouldn't mind extending him & cook atm well it's only week 4 they battle some mean tackles...

Yup. Move Collins back to the left side where he belongs.

Yup I like him as depth on left side but really look forward to when we're able to run ball from both sides...

All three phases of our game looked really bad today, but they came up with plays when it counted. Why we even kicked to Cribbs at all baffles me. That guy has singlehandedly beat us a couple of times.

Zimmer needs to figure out how to get pressure on the QB. We did good the first two games, but the last two we've only gotten two sacks. Anderson had all day to throw out there today.

I don't know what the problem is with the offense, but somebody needs to figure it out quick. We have too much talent on offense to put on that kind of a poor showing against an inept Browns defense. Too many drops today and a few bad play calls.

Finally, Brad St. Louis needs to go. I need more than one hand to count the games this guy has lost for us over the years and if he gets one of those two bad snaps back, the game doesn't go into over time. Also, what's the deal with Caldwell fumbling? Honestly, Scott looks more comfortable back there than Caldwell anyway. Leave him back there.

Um, yes, please? Watch the highlights. He had two catches, both somewhere around 15 yards and, most importantly, HE WAS OPEN! We have way too many weapons on offense for Carson to have to feather it in every pass. Throw to the open receiver which, most times, tends to be Henry. Get slim in the game people.

henry had two very good plays to keep drives alive. the one that will catch marvins eye is where herny was wide open. palmer put the ball up there henry let the db get his hands on the ball. henry has to go up and get that pass, if he does he may have scored. those are the kind of plays that bothers marvin and i think factors in to his playing time.

Props to the Bengals for finally having a team that knows how to finish games and win in crunch time, b/c its not coincidence that we've done it for 4 weeks in a row! Mini props to Carson for having the stones that Marvin doesn't have! Marv wanted to punt at the end of overtime but instead was talked into going for it by Palmer and then moving faster than I've ever seen Carson move!!! :o

Big Props to the D!!! Yeah, the worst offense in the league was moving the ball on us but they didn't have Derek Anderson for the first 3 games. I'm not saying he's great but he's got a bigger arm than Lady Quinn and I for one would've rather played him than Anderson. The D scored and if it weren't for that(for the second week in a row) we prob. would've lost, let alone being put on a short field and holding them multiple times and not to mention being out there for most of the game thanks to this underachieving offense and there 8 or so 3 and outs!(redikulus) :angry:

If St. Who'is ain't givin his walking papers now, I'll have given up all hope in ever getting rid of him! He's like herpes or somethin! :blink:

I'm not sure how he survived being cut a few yrs back. He's taking the piss this yr though. What is is now, bad snaps in 3 of the four games? That's cut from the NFL bad, never mind cut from this team.

A highschooler could do a comparable job.

I don't know what else to say...it's not like us as fans are the only ones to notice it! Its becoming known league wide, even the announcers are talking about! I know the coaches notice it too or Simmons wouldn't have grilled him at the end of OT b4 we kicked it!

BTW Pidge, I updated the draft conversation if you wanted to know! :D

In Brad's defense (such as I can make it) I do remember when he was drafted, and on the AOL message board I was posting on then there were a lot of WTFs? Until it was realized that he was a long snapper, because the Bengals' kicking game then was the same kind of adventure it is now. BSL stabilized a horrible situation for the team and for that he deserves props. He stepped in and instantly our snap problems stopped.

But that was 10 years ago. Time to go. So long, Brad, and thanks for all the fish. Bengals need a fresh start.

I'm not sure how he survived being cut a few yrs back. He's taking the piss this yr though. What is is now, bad snaps in 3 of the four games? That's cut from the NFL bad, never mind cut from this team.

A highschooler could do a comparable job.

I don't know what else to say...it's not like us as fans are the only ones to notice it! Its becoming known league wide, even the announcers are talking about! I know the coaches notice it too or Simmons wouldn't have grilled him at the end of OT b4 we kicked it!

BTW Pidge, I updated the draft conversation if you wanted to know! :D

I see Billy's point, who else is there? That's just the point though. We can get another long snapper in who is also terrible but save some bucks whilst doing it. I'm not trying to take food off his table, he has kids. I don't need to try either, he himself is doing a wonderful job of asking for his walking papers.

Heading off to the draft talk right now...

Wtf? I though we were a run first team this year, and I expected us to run it all over those bum's in cleveland. It looks like we gave up on that, CED had what 18 carries? We are still really struggling to find our way on offense, outside of the last two minutes. Defense was good today, 75yrd TD was big.

This game looked bad but I'll take the win.

henry had two very good plays to keep drives alive. the one that will catch marvins eye is where herny was wide open. palmer put the ball up there henry let the db get his hands on the ball. henry has to go up and get that pass, if he does he may have scored. those are the kind of plays that bothers marvin and i think factors in to his playing time.

You can't put that squarely on Henry. Palmer needs to throw that ball shorter, flatter and to his outside shoulder. Carson threw a floater to the inside. That ball gave the safety an opportunity to make a play.

Wtf? I though we were a run first team this year, and I expected us to run it all over those bum's in cleveland. It looks like we gave up on that, CED had what 18 carries? We are still really struggling to find our way on offense, outside of the last two minutes. Defense was good today, 75yrd TD was big.

Welcome bigodc, and yes, a win is a win! :bengal:

it's because the Browns were stuffing alot of early runs.