Benson the 3rd leading rusher.

Benson wanted a short term deal so he could prove he's still got it, and then get a long term deal from someone willing to overpay. Cincy wanted a short term deal with a RB that had something to prove at a bargain price.

It's a perfect marriage right now. Trying to change it right now accomplishes neither Benson's nor the team's goal with the contract. I like watching Benson in stripes... but for my part, I'm hoping I'll be cheering for someone else in '11.

We were walking in lockstep until the last line. And I say that because I haven't given the 2011 season a moments thought.

I'm not the least bit concerned about wearing Cedric Benson out, now or later. All I'm thinking about is who gives this the best chance to win the next game. Because if you manage to win enough games over the next month or two this team might find itself in playoff contention.

I dunno about a new contract, certainly not right now anyway. He'll be 28 when it runs out, light workload until this point or not. Dodgy age, maybe he's good for another couple of yrs maybe he isn't. The coaches will know by then I guess and hopefully figure going with a cheaper, younger option will make more sense. No need to chuck a load of FA type cash at a RB who is reaching the age of diminishing returns and who isn't, let's face it, Jim Brown incarnate.

Maybe they do give him an extension after this yr though. Keep him around for a couple more yrs. Depends I guess, do we have an option to extend? If not he'll wait for FA and leave.

i don't think the bengals have a option year for ced, not 100% sure on that. if ced runs for 1200 yards and 10 or more td's. i think the bengals would try to extend his offer for a couple more years. unless scott turn out to be better.

Benson wanted a short term deal so he could prove he's still got it, and then get a long term deal from someone willing to overpay. Cincy wanted a short term deal with a RB that had something to prove at a bargain price.

It's a perfect marriage right now. Trying to change it right now accomplishes neither Benson's nor the team's goal with the contract. I like watching Benson in stripes... but for my part, I'm hoping I'll be cheering for someone else in '11.

We were walking in lockstep until the last line. And I say that because I haven't given the 2011 season a moments thought.

I'm not the least bit concerned about wearing Cedric Benson out, now or later. All I'm thinking about is who gives this the best chance to win the next game. Because if you manage to win enough games over the next month or two this team might find itself in playoff contention.

I don't really disagree with anything you said... except that I do have concerns about wearing Benson out. I'm all for running him into the ground and then letting him walk. I'm against signing him long term and then watching the team rely on a worn out back like they did with Rudi. I'd rather they draft a young guy to replace him in '11. But like you said... that's a while off yet.

All I really care about right now is Benson continuing to run the ball effectively... oh, and no new contract.