Final Thoughts on the game? Packers

Kazkal

So... I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'll say it anyway. I went back on my DVR and rewatched the game, and was very impressed with Brat's playcalling.

One thing he had going for him was that the running game was working... and that made his job easier, but you have to give credit where it's due. Brat mixed it up well, especially when the offense was shooting itself in the foot with penalties. I'd like to point out two plays that stuck out to me as great calls at the right time.

The screen pass to Coats was a play that was not likely designed to get a first down in that situation, but it worked... So that's just a bonus. It was 3rd and 30 something deep in their own side of the field. It was a play designed to get some yardage for field position in the punting game. Why do I think it was a great call? 1) Coats is mostly a blocking TE, so it's unexpected; 2) it's a high percentage play likely to result in a good chunk of yardage in that situation, helping Huber out; and 3) it wasn't that supid shovel pass he always called in those situations in the past. Unpredictable and effective!

The flea flicker also was great because it was trick play. Most of Brat's shortcomings are his predictability. He rarely uses trick plays, and has his favorite plays in certain situations that we've all learned to guess when they're coming. But today he had the running game working, the play action was working, but why not kick it up a notch and take real advantage of GB stacking the box? I love it.

It's the opposite of what we've come to expect from Brat, and he deserves to be praised for calling a very good game.

I cannot disagree here.

Brat earned a 1 game reprieve, he did not run a single end-around or reverse.

The running game is easy to call when it works. finally.

I did take issue with Carson's quick out throws. there also was a 3 yrd pass on 3rd and 6, and they converted, thus the reprieve.

sleep now prince Brat, may you live to call plays yet another game.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'll say it anyway. I went back on my DVR and rewatched the game, and was very impressed with Brat's playcalling.

One thing he had going for him was that the running game was working... and that made his job easier, but you have to give credit where it's due. Brat mixed it up well, especially when the offense was shooting itself in the foot with penalties. I'd like to point out two plays that stuck out to me as great calls at the right time.

The screen pass to Coats was a play that was not likely designed to get a first down in that situation, but it worked... So that's just a bonus. It was 3rd and 30 something deep in their own side of the field. It was a play designed to get some yardage for field position in the punting game. Why do I think it was a great call? 1) Coats is mostly a blocking TE, so it's unexpected; 2) it's a high percentage play likely to result in a good chunk of yardage in that situation, helping Huber out; and 3) it wasn't that supid shovel pass he always called in those situations in the past. Unpredictable and effective!

The flea flicker also was great because it was trick play. Most of Brat's shortcomings are his predictability. He rarely uses trick plays, and has his favorite plays in certain situations that we've all learned to guess when they're coming. But today he had the running game working, the play action was working, but why not kick it up a notch and take real advantage of GB stacking the box? I love it.

It's the opposite of what we've come to expect from Brat, and he deserves to be praised for calling a very good game.

I cannot disagree here.

Brat earned a 1 game reprieve, he did not run a single end-around or reverse.

The running game is easy to call when it works. finally.

I did take issue with Carson's quick out throws. there also was a 3 yrd pass on 3rd and 6, and they converted, thus the reprieve.

sleep now prince Brat, may you live to call plays yet another game.

Actually, there was an end around to Coles. I think he only got one or two yards.

Great comeback after the 2nd pick, where we would usually have given up and started looking at next week.

Penalties were annoying, and against a good team, we would have been punished.

Defense was superb in the 2nd half, front 7 especially, Odom extra specially!!.

Huber's punting was excellent, worth an extra 10 yds over Larson, and cosby in 2 games has looked better than any returner since Tremain mack!!

Offence was solid apart from Carson's two bad passes, which luckily he got away with in the end. Good depth at WR, with Caldwell and Henry looking good to take over at no2 if/when necessary.Benson and the running gamewas excellent, a breath of fresh air with his 2nd/3rd effort.

Overall, very pleased, but can we have a 20 point lead in the last 2 minutes

next week- i don't know if i can take much more of that!!!

Jon

You have to give it up to the O-Line for this one. They were busting their tails out there. The run blocking was excellent from the very get go. They were opening up holes and pushing people around exactly the way we've been wanting to see for awhile now.. They do need to work on the pass protection and Whitworth had a couple mistakes but overall I am very pleased with the way the O-Line played.

The offense, led by Palmer, showed a lot of strength and they never gave up. Chad Johnson, Coles, Henry OMG, I'm telling you guys thats a helluva trio.. The Bengals O is finally back!

One problem I have with Brat (He called a great game. He also owes the o-line a steak dinner) was that he had Coats in the redzone on a passing play. Where was Coffman? He wouldn't have dropped that TD pass from Palmer. Coats should be done as a recieving TE in the redzone. He also fumbled the ball. We're lucky Coles was there to take the ball.

There were a couple bad calls on Crocker but they held their ground.

Odom = Beast!!

R. Williams = Beast!!

Bengals D = Physical!!! I love it.

Mauluga missed a couple assignments. He's a rookie. He made up for his mistakes and then some. We may be looking at the Defensive Rookie of the Year guys.

The best part about this is that the Packers are one of the best teams in the NFC. The put up the points that they were supposed to put up and we still won the game. They are a strong team, possible stronger than the steelers.

One problem I have with Brat (He called a great game. He also owes the o-line a steak dinner) was that he had Coats in the redzone on a passing play. Where was Coffman? He wouldn't have dropped that TD pass from Palmer. Coats should be done as a recieving TE in the redzone. He also fumbled the ball. We're lucky Coles was there to take the ball.

First, who knows what Coffman would have done. He's not good enough to beat out Coats yet... so he's still very incomplete.

I agree that if he were that wide open, he would have made the catch that Coats didn't, but the reason Coats was open was because he sold the block on a playaction. Coffman in the lineup would have been tipping their hand.

The problem with this is that they don't have an NFL caliber TE on the roster... not that they are playing the wrong one. Brat was able to use Coats and give the Bengals some very real opportunities BECAUSE he is an incomplete player. You have to give props for not being predictable. The fact that Coats didn't make the catch doesn't mean it was a bad call. That is an example of lack of execution on what was clearly a perfect call.

Even better? They overcome the drop and score a TD anyway! Brat called a good game.

Final thought to the final thoughts ??

Why the hell are the Packers a sub par team only after the Bengals beat them ??

A team considered to be a top 10 team in the league, considered a contender for their division title, and certainly a playoff contender.

Yeah, they suck. Just like the Bengals were the worst team in the league last week because they lost on a fluke play.

C'mon people, perspective is a good thing.

Final thought to the final thoughts ??

Why the hell are the Packers a sub par team only after the Bengals beat them ??

A team considered to be a top 10 team in the league, considered a contender for their division title, and certainly a playoff contender.

Yeah, they suck. Just like the Bengals were the worst team in the league last week because they lost on a fluke play.

C'mon people, perspective is a good thing.

Army, it's amazing how hyper-critical people can be around here. We just beat a very good football team in their place. What else do they want?

OK I was worng with the 1-4 or 0-4 start and I'm so glad that I was wrong. We have a chance to be 3-1. Steelers lose to the Bears tells me that we have a good chance to win! Palmer scares me but he's puttin numbers up fro us too. Benson, and the entire def are on fire right now. Get rid of all the flags and we just might have a play off team here.

First, who knows what Coffman would have done. He's not good enough to beat out Coats yet... so he's still very incomplete.

I agree that if he were that wide open, he would have made the catch that Coats didn't, but the reason Coats was open was because he sold the block on a playaction. Coffman in the lineup would have been tipping their hand.

The problem with this is that they don't have an NFL caliber TE on the roster... not that they are playing the wrong one. Brat was able to use Coats and give the Bengals some very real opportunities BECAUSE he is an incomplete player. You have to give props for not being predictable. The fact that Coats didn't make the catch doesn't mean it was a bad call. That is an example of lack of execution on what was clearly a perfect call.

Even better? They overcome the drop and score a TD anyway! Brat called a good game.

I agree he called a great game.. But I bet Coats isn't in there in the redzone again. If so, that's a horrible call.

I didn't know Coffman was inactive. Is he hurt?