Who had better moral victory?

kingwilly

Who had better moral victory?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who had better moral victory?

• Bengals - 12-7 loss to Broncos on Fluke Tip TD play
    • Bills - 25-24 Loss to Patriots on kick return fumble, converted to TD (2 pats td's in 76 seconds)
    • Raiders - 24-20 loss to Chargers after scoring go ahead TD on 4th and 15 pass to Hamilton
    • Titans - 13-10 loss to Steelers in OT after forcing Hines Ward fumble late wth qtr.

There. Are. No. Moral. Victories.

Ok, then let's phrase it this way: The team that can most readily find positives from the game with which to build on despite recording a loss.

after 20 yrs. of losing I'm DONE with finding positives in losing efforts.

my rose colored glasses came off LONG, LONG ago when it comes to this franchise.

sorry kingwilly but have I told you this is a RIDICULOUS topic?

I agree this may not be the most pleasant way to recover from possibly the stupidest loss in Bengals history, but it is not any more ridiculous than all the general moaning and whinging that goes on here regularly (of which I contribute to as well).

If given a choice, I'd rather have the team lose on a fluke than get whipped like when they opened against SD a few years ago when they were out of shape and were an embarrassment to the NFL.

fair enuff, willy.

BTW, this team is still an embarrassment to the nfl.

Yup, their 1st round corner, clearly a bust of Akili proportions, stays step-by-step with Brandon Marshall (a piece of crap worthless scrub receiver) and tips the ball (no CB should ever touch the ball) and it takes a goofy bounce that ends up really bad.

Horrible. Embarassing. Well, at least for "fans" that think so.

I actually like the topic, but it's more from the fact that I removed the Bengals from consideration, which is sad in and of itself.

The Raiders call was actually a good call in my book. There was a really good breakdown of the call on PFT and after looking at the play again, I actually agree with the refs in that he didn't control the ball after hitting the ground and if the ball moves AT ALL, it's not a completion. The ball moved.

Bills win...

I can understand that rule exists but it was incorrectly enforced. He had possessed the ball. He wasn't trying to establish possession of the ball when going to ground. Let's put it this way, had the Pats/Colts/Steelers/Successful franchises needed a little dink from the 5 yrd line to Watson, he catches it short of the goal line and he stretched the ball over the plane before a defender comes in and rips it out of his hand, it's ruled a TD. Now, he hasn't maintained control technically, might even be considered a fumble (if stretching over the plane is considered a delightfully vague football move) but the plain was broken so everything afterwards is moot. Or what about a gazillion running plays that happen each yr where a runner has to stretch across the pile (normally not even touching a part of the ground) and breaks the plane but loses it a second afterwards. Is that suddenly not a TD? OF course it is. The incorrect call of a fumble is not taken in this case as possession of the ball + breaking the plane of the goal = TD.

Look, the dude wasn't trying to maintain control of the ball. he caught it. If he was bobbling it and "in the process of attempting to secure possession" he bobbled it when he fell to the ground then fine. He didn't. He caught that sucker, planted both feet and his rear end. It's a TD. He then lost his grip slightly when his elbow hit the deck - after the catch and possession were established.

Is it OK if a DB slaps the ball out the hand of a receiver who has caught the ball and raises his arms in celebration. Has he maintained possesion? Will they ask every player who catches a ball in the endzone to fall chest first to make sure they don't bobble it and if they do, not award the TD? What if a player is deemed to to have thrown the ball away or spiked the ball too soon after scoring, is that a fumble all of a sudden. Does the guy have to propose marriage and buy the ball a shiny diamond ring all of a sudden. Nah, the refs f**ked up at best. Some cynical folks might think there is a bias. Having seen enough pro sports of all various shades and varieties I'll stick with the refs f**king up. Clear possession and control and both feet down = TD. Any way you (not you personally AB) or Perreira and the nuffle slice it. Maybe the rule needs tweaking again so as to get rid of a rule that means a legitimate TD is not counted as such.

Having said that, and putting my tin foil hat on, if that's Moss or Wayne, it's a TD. Simple as that.

TL:DR

The ref:

By definition in our rule book, he's going to ground and has to maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire act of the catch.

No s**t Sherlock. He catches the ball clearly and lands both feet and his butt. He's landed on the ground and still has possession. TD. Oh, you mean when he rolls over and the ball comes loose he loses possession. But wait, he went to ground and maintained possession already. Which is it? Does he have to take the f**king ball home with him for it to be a TD? Either fix the rule or fix the refs because that was a terrible call, whatever the reason.

I actually like the topic, but it's more from the fact that I removed the Bengals from consideration, which is sad in and of itself.

The Raiders call was actually a good call in my book. There was a really good breakdown of the call on PFT and after looking at the play again, I actually agree with the refs in that he didn't control the ball after hitting the ground and if the ball moves AT ALL, it's not a completion. The ball moved.

Bills win...

I can understand that rule exists but it was incorrectly enforced. He had possessed the ball. He wasn't trying to establish possession of the ball when going to ground. Let's put it this way, had the Pats/Colts/Steelers/Successful franchises needed a little dink from the 5 yrd line to Watson, he catches it short of the goal line and he stretched the ball over the plane before a defender comes in and rips it out of his hand, it's ruled a TD. Now, he hasn't maintained control technically, might even be considered a fumble (if stretching over the plane is considered a delightfully vague football move) but the plain was broken so everything afterwards is moot. Or what about a gazillion running plays that happen each yr where a runner has to stretch across the pile (normally not even touching a part of the ground) and breaks the plane but loses it a second afterwards. Is that suddenly not a TD? OF course it is. The incorrect call of a fumble is not taken in this case as possession of the ball + breaking the plane of the goal = TD.

Look, the dude wasn't trying to maintain control of the ball. he caught it. If he was bobbling it and "in the process of attempting to secure possession" he bobbled it when he fell to the ground then fine. He didn't. He caught that sucker, planted both feet and his rear end. It's a TD. He then lost his grip slightly when his elbow hit the deck - after the catch and possession were established.

Is it OK if a DB slaps the ball out the hand of a receiver who has caught the ball and raises his arms in celebration. Has he maintained possesion? Will they ask every player who catches a ball in the endzone to fall chest first to make sure they don't bobble it and if they do, not award the TD? What if a player is deemed to to have thrown the ball away or spiked the ball too soon after scoring, is that a fumble all of a sudden. Does the guy have to propose marriage and buy the ball a shiny diamond ring all of a sudden. Nah, the refs f**ked up at best. Some cynical folks might think there is a bias. Having seen enough pro sports of all various shades and varieties I'll stick with the refs f**king up. Clear possession and control and both feet down = TD. Any way you (not you personally AB) or Perreira and the nuffle slice it. Maybe the rule needs tweaking again so as to get rid of a rule that means a legitimate TD is not counted as such.

Having said that, and putting my tin foil hat on, if that's Moss or Wayne, it's a TD. Simple as that.

TL:DR

The ref:

By definition in our rule book, he's going to ground and has to maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire act of the catch.

No s**t Sherlock. He catches the ball clearly and lands both feet and his butt. He's landed on the ground and still has possession. TD. Oh, you mean when he rolls over and the ball comes loose he loses possession. But wait, he went to ground and maintained possession already. Which is it? Does he have to take the f**king ball home with him for it to be a TD? Either fix the rule or fix the refs because that was a terrible call, whatever the reason.

I completely agree here. Receiver has ball in endzone, maintains possession AND both feet touch the ground, once the knee hits ground the play should be over. The NFL rules are waaay too inconsistent. If this play is somewhere in the field of play other than the endzone and let's say it's a question that it is fumbled or not, the refs would say that "the play is ruled complete because the receiver had 2 feet down and then the ball came loose AFTER his knee was down."

And Pidge, you're comparison with the ball carrier streching the ball out over the "plane of the goaline" and the play immediately STOPS right there, is a good point. Either way, the rules are pathetically inconsistent and need to be re-analyzed.

Yup, their 1st round corner, clearly a bust of Akili proportions, stays step-by-step with Brandon Marshall (a piece of crap worthless scrub receiver) and tips the ball (no CB should ever touch the ball) and it takes a goofy bounce that ends up really bad.

Horrible. Embarassing. Well, at least for "fans" that think so.

my remark about the team being embarrassing was not actually pointing to our latest loss. it was more towards the state of the org.

oh, and by placing quotation marks around the word fan are you implying that I'm not one?

well I am a fan but probably just not the same kind of "fan" that you are, mr. moderator. there are different kinds you know.