We need to end the Carson Palmer experiment

JoePong

Worst yet is they need Cedric Benson to get them some yards and Palmer telegraphs his hand offs worst than a pee wee player.Its also time for Lewis to go.He was a good first year coach,but that was it.They should have got rid of Chad two years ago and then they would probably still have T.J.

Ill take a 24 year old Caldwell making 3rd round money and his 6 catches for 54 yards and his kick return ability over a 32 year old whiney ass 8 million a year wr who has 6 catches for 48 yards in his debut.

Also, Chad is Chad again so I don't know why your bitching about that.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carson had at least 4 drops yesterday by receivers, and a pass that looked like a TD in the 4th quarter to Caldwell that could've gone either way. Add those plays and take away a desperation Hail Mary at the end of the game and he's something like 26-of-34 (76.4%) with a TD and an INT. That's pretty damn decent in my book, especially in considering he hasn't played any real football in about 11 months after hardly playing at all in the preseason. I think a lot of us quickly forget that Carson was healthy for only about 10 quarters last year, before being shut down for good in Week 6.

My greater concern lies in the mistakes made by the offensive line. Multiple "illegal procedure" penalties on passing plays by the O-line is absolutely absurd.

I also officially disagree with Marvin's offseason statement that the WR position was upgraded in essentially replacing TJ with Coles. This may be true in the locker room, but after 4 preseason and one regular season game, I just don't see it the football field. Although it's widely considered an "unofficial" statistic, Coles tied for 4th in the NFL in drops last season with 8, and he's already a quarter of the way to his '08 total this year after one game. Hopefully, Coach Sheppard is working with him this week because the way teams bracket Chad, Coles is almost the "go to" receiver on 3rd down by default.

Carson had at least 4 drops yesterday by receivers, and a pass that looked like a TD in the 4th quarter to Caldwell that could've gone either way. Add those plays and take away a desperation Hail Mary at the end of the game and he's something like 26-of-34 (76.4%) with a TD and an INT. That's pretty damn decent in my book, especially in considering he hasn't played any real football in about 11 months after hardly playing at all in the preseason. I think a lot of us quickly forget that Carson was healthy for only about 10 quarters last year, before being shut down for good in Week 6.

My greater concern lies in the mistakes made by the offensive line. Multiple "illegal procedure" penalties on passing plays by the O-line is absolutely absurd.

I also officially disagree with Marvin's offseason statement that the WR position was upgraded in essentially replacing TJ with Coles. This may be true in the locker room, but after 4 preseason and one regular season game, I just don't see it the football field. Although it's widely considered an "unofficial" statistic, Coles tied for 4th in the NFL in drops last season with 8, and he's already a quarter of the way to his '08 total this year after one game. Hopefully, Coach Sheppard is working with him this week because the way teams bracket Chad, Coles is almost the "go to" receiver on 3rd down by default.

If he keeps dropping passes they're going to have to go with Chad, Caldwell, and Henry in the three receiver sets.

My greater concern lies in the mistakes made by the offensive line.

My greater concern lies in the mistakes made by the offense. Period. Which is to say, yesterday's offensive follies were broad-based. Every facet of the O, from QB to WR to RB to OL, took its turn(s) fouling up. Every player contributed. If it wasn't Chad getting called for a hold, it was Cook illegally downfield or Benson missing a blitzer or Coles dropping the ball. Coats had a drop. JJ had a drop. Whitworth had a penalty. Collins got beat twice. Bobbie was no great shakes. Livings got hurt. And, of course, Brat's playcalling was horrible. It was the football equivalent of whack-a-mole: which part of the offense will pop up and blow it this play?

The good news is that I think most of the problems can be traced to a lack of cohesion which (assuming the squad doesn't just curl up and die after yesterday) will work itself out over time. The bad news is that the Bengals appear headed for 0-3 or 0-4 (at least) before that happens.

Bulls**t answer, Joe.

Palmer found a way to win the game. They lost it on an all-time fluke. No difference between what Roeth did and Palmer did other than that.

The MUSIC CITY MIRACLE years back was a FLUKE PLAY. The Bengals failed to do a simple thing at that point of the game, PUT BODIES back at the 20-10 YARD LINE! Christ my 14 year 8th grade football knows this!!!

Bulls**t answer, Joe.

Palmer found a way to win the game. They lost it on an all-time fluke. No difference between what Roeth did and Palmer did other than that.

The MUSIC CITY MIRACLE years back was a FLUKE PLAY. The Bengals failed to do a simple thing at that point of the game, PUT BODIES back at the 20-10 YARD LINE! Christ my 14 year 8th grade football knows this!!!

At the 20 or 10 yard line???

You do realize that a FG would have beaten us, right? And their kicker had already hit from 50 yards? So, your idea would be stupid, so your 14 year old 8th grade football players must not be too bright.

I hear what you guys are saying that BRoethlisberger only scored 10 points in regulation, but he was going up against a very good D in Tennessee, we were going up against a Broncos team that had a new everything from coach, to QB to defensive scheme, and be sides that Denver's D sucked last year...I don't lay blame on CPalmer but this team does not have what it takes to win on a consistent basis, they play down to the competition way to much... I am ready to try the West coast offense, the OLine won't have to protect so long, and we can spread the field since that seems to work, we just need someone who is paid to catch the ball, to do just that...

I hear what you guys are saying that BRoethlisberger only scored 10 points in regulation, but he was going up against a very good D in Tennessee, we were going up against a Broncos team that had a new everything from coach, to QB to defensive scheme, and be sides that Denver's D sucked last year...I don't lay blame on CPalmer but this team does not have what it takes to win on a consistent basis, they play down to the competition way to much... I am ready to try the West coast offense, the OLine won't have to protect so long, and we can spread the field since that seems to work, we just need someone who is paid to catch the ball, to do just that...

Yeah this is my problem with the game. The Broncos D was a mess last year. They completely overhauled it and have maybe two or three starters from that D. They have a new coordinator and switched schemes, and all the Bengals could manage was a late TD? I would like to know what the plan of attack was for the offense. Do they ever look at the D they are playing and try to exploit the weaknesses? If so I'm not seeing it. The Bengals supposedly have a glut of WR's and the Broncos have two experienced DB's in Bailey and Dawkins. I'm fairly certain that should have been taken advantage of.

Yeah this is my problem with the game. The Broncos D was a mess last year. They completely overhauled it and have maybe two or three starters from that D. They have a new coordinator and switched schemes, and all the Bengals could manage was a late TD? I would like to know what the plan of attack was for the offense. Do they ever look at the D they are playing and try to exploit the weaknesses? If so I'm not seeing it. The Bengals supposedly have a glut of WR's and the Broncos have two experienced DB's in Bailey and Dawkins. I'm fairly certain that should have been taken advantage of.

Well, I think the Bengals DID take advantage of the Broncos D. It's not as if they didn't move the ball fairly well. They just kept shooting themselves in the foot...more self destruction than being shut down by Denver's D.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be like 1997. Remember? Blake, Pickens, Scott, and Carter were supposed to make a high octane offense. Then after they squeeked out a win week 1 against the Cards the offense tanked and by the end Boomer and Dillon led us to a pointless rally. This week is so important. The good news is that this is the same trap game for the Packers as our game was against Denver.

Bulls**t answer, Joe.

Actually your completely wrong. They only needed to get into field goal range and they still had a timeout left. Had they dropped everyone back that far it would have made it pretty easy for the Broncos to move down the field or to set up a screen play that would have gotten them out of bounds. Make sure you know something about football before you criticize the coaches.

For all those people that think this game was Carson's fault I hope you watched the Pats game last night. A guy who hadn't played all of last season who is supposed to be the top QB in the league with the best damn receiving unit in the NFL struggled HEAVILY against a team that got like 18 sacks last season. He led two big drives at the end of the game (Much like Carsons drive) to beat them. Had they not got lucky as hell and got that fumble recovery do you think Pats fans would be calling for his head? He is getting old. I bet people in here would say that he is washed out and the injury made him a different player. Pathetic

Bulls**t answer, Joe.

Actually, the Music City Miracle was a designed play that was well executed. Nothing at all like th bulls**t play the fell into the Broncos laps at the end of the game.

PS. I still think that was a forward pass....

Bulls**t answer, Joe.

Actually, the Music City Miracle was a designed play that was well executed. Nothing at all like th bulls**t play the fell into the Broncos laps at the end of the game.

PS. I still think that was a forward pass....

Yup, but only by about a yard. What's the dif?