Building a Franchise Defense

Clackwoods

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you rather build a defense around???

• Keith Rivers
    • Rey Rey
    • Leon Hall
    • Johnathen Joseph
    • Michael Johnson
    • Roy Williams
    • Dhani Jones
    • Peko

Well now, the lines are all important, on both sides of the ball. But, as much as I like Peko I'm not sure he's the foundation for a Franchise D amd I have no real idea how MJ will develope as a DE. So, having seen far more of Rivers and Rey in college I'll go with one of the LBers. Dhani will be pretty important though, even after he leaves the team, if he manages to help those two to improve in the meantime.

I'll go with Rivers. Seems to be more of a calming influence than Rey, which I personally prefer in a team leader. More so than some high energy shrill vocal leader anyway. What do I know though.

Very interesting thread here.

I could personally make a case for any of those guys, with the exception of Dhani and Roy, and that's strictly because of age.

Defensive Ends and Cornerbacks are the most valued positions of defense, but Leon and Joseph are very good CBs at their best, but I wouldn't consider either of them to have Elite potential. Joseph may be close, but is still too prone to injury and Leon is one the league's best #2's at the position.

MJ has the potential to be a real star, but is too much of an unknown at this point. Ditto with Rey, although I can't remember a Bengals defensive rookie I've been this excited to see since we got Takeo.

I really like Keith Rivers, and he might just be the best all-around Bengal on defense, while being class-act and hard worker off the field. I just don't really see him as a leader type at this point, which the Franchise cornerstone should be.

After considering them all, I would go with Peko. He's already one of the top players at his position in the entire league and is still only 24 years old. He's already established himself as a leader on the team in being voted a defensive captain and he just seems to get better each year. He's really done well in helping improve the team's run defense and is probably the hardest working interior defensive lineman we've had since Tim Krumrie.

Looking at these players, this defense realistically has a chance to be a Top 5 unit in a year or two. Maybe the much-maligned "Scouting Department" isn't so bad after all, with most of the key players on defense coming through the draft.

You know guys we could be watching a real young exciting defense unfolding right before our eyes. Geeez the rest of the leauge aint gonna know what hit em. If we stay injury free for the most part heck I can really see this bunch getting better and better every week. And the first chance Rivers gets at that snapperhead in Pittsburg that broke his Jaw Look out Dudes its gonna be Aholes and Elbows. LoL

If you had to choose one of our Youngsters to keep when starting to build a defense who would it be and why?

Roy Williams and Dhani Jones on this list ain't all that young if memory serves, so they're out. I also cannot remember a dominating NFL defense that laid it's laurels at the foot of a cornerback, so Hall and Joseph are out. This leaves me with with Johnson and Peko against the linebackers of Rivers, and Maualuga. Could I keep these four and roll from there please?

Well prefer we keep all of our top D players for their full career :>

Order

Reyrey>Rivers>Sims>Peko>Johnson>Joseph>(If he remains healthy),Hall.....Safety's I like all of ours but gonna be some nice first round prospects next year...

Roy Williams and Dhani Jones on this list ain't all that young if memory serves, so they're out. I also cannot remember a dominating NFL defense that laid it's laurels at the foot of a cornerback,

Recent Defenses Broncos & Raiders and for the most part you just hear how good that one cornerback is and how much the rest of the defense sucks.

I really don't think you can build a defense around one person. You can do that on offense with a QB or a RB, but I just don't think you can on defense. One person can only do so much on defense. You need all 11 players to do their jobs and know their assignments on every play.

That being said, if I had to pick one I'd go with Peko. It all starts up front.

I really don't think you can build a defense around one person. You can do that on offense with a QB or a RB, but I just don't think you can on defense. One person can only do so much on defense. You need all 11 players to do their jobs and know their assignments on every play.

That being said, if I had to pick one I'd go with Peko. It all starts up front.

I see your point. Not sure I agree with it though.

I could maybe agree that a defense is only as strong as its weakest link, but one player can definitely make a big difference. I also understand your logic on the big guy up front, but historically the best leaders/game changers are LB's. And as much as I'm excited about Rey... I had to go with Rivers, because I just get the feeling that he's going to be the definition of consistent. Rey will lay the big hits and give the defense some personality, but Rivers will be the consistent force that just doesn't make mistakes.

I guess now that I think about it, why do I have to choose just one? Peko and Sims up front with Rivers and Rey behind them? That sounds like a pretty solid foundation to build upon.

I went with Peko. I think he's very quietly become one of the best 4-3 tackles in the league, and thus is defaulted as our best defensive player. The two corners should really grow up this year too, but safety help will be inconsistent and our nickle and dimebacks aren't great in support either. Rivers and Maualuga have yet to prove much, but should they turn out well we're going to be in great shape.

I think the most important player to this defense is Pat Sims. It is interesting all the praise that is getting heaped on Ziggy Hood for his preseason but quitely, Pat Sims has put together a much better 4 games. 3 sacks, 13 tackles in limited playing time, he is shaping up for a monster year and nobody, even on this board is talking about him. Strong Line play is essental to the overall success of any defense and this is the best D-Line the Bengals have ever had (with the possible exception of 1976 on the strength of Coy Bacon's 21 1/2 sacks).

This is a really hard choice,between two USC LBs. I am putting age, potential, and attitude into my decision. I choose Who Dey Rey because he brings that hard nosed attitude and power that I want our MLB to have. So hopefully he can learn everything he can from Jones and then bring his fire into the game.

Of the aforementioned I'd go with Rivers

Wow. Peko getting a lot of love. Also I thought I'd be in the minority in choosing Rivers over Rey.

Wraith... I agree with you about Sims. If he pans out and the Bengals lock up a dominant pair of young DTs, it can completely change this team. DTs don't often get love in the media... but every good defense has solid DT play.

Back when the Panthers had that great defense, I remember John Fox saying that DT was the most important position on defense. Think how much better a pair of DTs make the players around them. The interior O-Line is forced to focus entirely on them. DEs don't get double teamed. LB's fill the gaps. Blitzes are devastating.

I didn't pick Peko because I don't think he can do it on his own. But if Sims ends up being as good as it looks like he can be, together they could end up being the Tony Siragusa/Sam Adams combo that Marvin has needed since he got here.

Wow. Peko getting a lot of love. Also I thought I'd be in the minority in choosing Rivers over Rey.

Wraith... I agree with you about Sims. If he pans out and the Bengals lock up a dominant pair of young DTs, it can completely change this team. DTs don't often get love in the media... but every good defense has solid DT play.

Back when the Panthers had that great defense, I remember John Fox saying that DT was the most important position on defense. Think how much better a pair of DTs make the players around them. The interior O-Line is forced to focus entirely on them. DEs don't get double teamed. LB's fill the gaps. Blitzes are devastating.

I didn't pick Peko because I don't think he can do it on his own. But if Sims ends up being as good as it looks like he can be, together they could end up being the Tony Siragusa/Sam Adams combo that Marvin has needed since he got here.

Can't argue with any of that. We have potential in all areas of this D. Now, of course it's unlikely they will all be hits in the long term but if only half of them, especially if just one area like the DTs or LBs really click that will be enough to change this D in itself. And hey, I'm in an optimistic mood, I hope both the DT group and LB group click. We'll be cooking with gas then.

I specifically like Rivers purely from my own preference when playing sports. A liked the quiet calm leader. It also made those rare occasions when he lost his rag and told us to pull our s**t together all the more relevant. Others might prefer the rah rah or hard ass though I guess.

I think, or maybe hope is the more apt word, we have more than just one future leader on this D anyway so it won't be a big issue.

I could maybe agree that a defense is only as strong as its weakest link, but one player can definitely make a big difference. I also understand your logic on the big guy up front, but historically the best leaders/game changers are LB's.

That is true, but the question was what one player would you build your defense around, not what one player you would pick to be your leader. The reason I went with Peko, is because good DTs take up more blockers, freeing up the DEs and LBs to get to the quarterback and forcing bad throws and INTs. On running plays, it frees the LBs to come in and fill the gaps. But like I said, I don't think you can build just around one player.

I guess now that I think about it, why do I have to choose just one? Peko and Sims up front with Rivers and Rey behind them? That sounds like a pretty solid foundation to build upon.

This is pretty much what I was trying to get at. You CAN build a defense around a good core of players and I think the Bengals have that with Sims, Peko, Rey, and Rivers.

I could maybe agree that a defense is only as strong as its weakest link, but one player can definitely make a big difference. I also understand your logic on the big guy up front, but historically the best leaders/game changers are LB's.

That is true, but the question was what one player would you build your defense around, not what one player you would pick to be your leader. The reason I went with Peko, is because good DTs take up more blockers, freeing up the DEs and LBs to get to the quarterback and forcing bad throws and INTs. On running plays, it frees the LBs to come in and fill the gaps. But like I said, I don't think you can build just around one player.

This is pretty much what I was trying to get at. You CAN build a defense around a good core of players and I think the Bengals have that with Sims, Peko, Rey, and Rivers.

I picked Peko and I'll second what you guys are saying about the importance of good DTs -- but the main reason I went with Peko has not been mentioned: he has become a leader on the team, both on and off the field. It's the intangibles that make Peko the kind of guy you build around -- like Ray Lewis.

I'll go with Peko as well for all the reasons mentioned, but would like to add this defense has come a LONG way due to the presence of Dhani Jones. His leadership and ability to call the plays for the defense has made all of the other players better. He's the only MLB we've had start in consecutive years since Marvin has been here and in my opinion has been the key to this defense getting to the point it is now.

Sure they have had good drafts in bringing in the young guys, but his leadership has been huge for the youngsters.

Couple that with what Peko brings and it's hard to not be excited about what we have on defense.

Peko gets the vote though...

I'll go with Peko as well for all the reasons mentioned, but would like to add this defense has come a LONG way due to the presence of Dhani Jones. His leadership and ability to call the plays for the defense has made all of the other players better. He's the only MLB we've had start in consecutive years since Marvin has been here and in my opinion has been the key to this defense getting to the point it is now.

Sure they have had good drafts in bringing in the young guys, but his leadership has been huge for the youngsters.

Couple that with what Peko brings and it's hard to not be excited about what we have on defense.

Peko gets the vote though...

Good point about Dhani and I completely agree. IMO, a major problem with chronically bad teams is having veterans with no ability to lead the highly drafted youngsters. Having Dhani in there for the past few seasons (and again this year) has been HUGE for the development of our younger guys, including Peko. I hate to think of him as keeping the spot warm for Maualuga because of all he's given this team, but the writing is on the wall for him -- obviously we're not counting on him as the future pillar of our franchise d, but his presence has been absolutely vital to this point.