Broncos @ Bengals

jjakq27

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow everyone is bustin on the bengals for the defense that they played on that last play. They said there was no safty in the back, when really there was but instead of being with stokly they decided to both take out Marshel and forgot about stokly. They were blaming zimmer for that, and in all honesty they have a point what happened to the back safty he was no where to be found. GRRRRRRRR

Somebody PLEASE tell me they did not call a timeout on the 1 inch line. The fact that Caldwell did not get in was actually a good thing. They had a chance to burn some clock Fouts initially said they called a timeout. That is why they did not start the play clock after the review.

Bungle Boobery. This crap only happens to crappy organizations.

They called a time out?

Fouts said right away that the Bengals called a timeout to give the booth a chance to review the play. I believe the holdup was whether or not they were going to charge them with the timeout. The fact that they did, meant that they did not let the 18 second runoff before the Benson touchdown. If that is the case, that is pathetic. Why not burn some clock? If you can't score on one of four plays from the flipping 1 inch line, you don't deserve to win anyway. Marvin Lewis is the NFL version of Stan Van Gundy. The master of panic...

I don't think he panics, I think he just does not understand how to manage the game. He lost the challenge and was charged a timeout. They ran the one play and punched it in.

They executed a perfect final drive and left 41 seconds. Not really much to complain about. It was really just a bad break at the end.

It was the other, early mistakes that put them in this position. No excuse for the flubbed snap. No excuse for Coles drops. Or CHad's hold that erased a 14 yrd run, thus killing a strong drive early on.

Simply put, they just lost a game they should have won. They were the better team on the field but could not finish an inferior opponent due to mental errors and poor coaching.

You know...I'm tired of the excuses, I'm tired of the losing. It's all a batch of s**t. If they can't beat this Broncos team on opening weekend at home who are they going to beat? 0-16 is my preditiction.

Well put it in the pinned prediction tread if you really believe that.

No Billy I think this is the right thread based on the outcome. I just had four Broncos fans over at my house to watch the game and they all felt sorry for me. What does that day? A team in complete rebuilding mode can come into PBS and beat the Bengals in an obvious win situation for the Bengals. Who else can they count on beating this season? In my opinion they are worse than the Lions! How many points did the Lions score todayy? More than 7? They have a rookie QB and whole new coaching staff!@@#$&^%&^%$! How can the Bengals score only 7 points with the "explosive offense" they have?

Maybe, and this is going to sound crazy but hear me out everyone, we should give Carson the ball and tell him to throw it to 85. That seemed to work like all the frigging time when it happened. Also, get Henry in the game more.

We burned Denver at will in the first Q when we threw it and then started running it for some reason and just lost all rhythm. Hey Brat, throw the f**king ball until the D stops it. If you do that we score TDs. TDs are these wonderful mystical things that win you games. Most teams work their nuts off to be able to get into a position to throw the ball effectively. We do the exact opposite. Chuck it all over the team's face and then just stop doing it so that Cedric/whoever else can stumble for a 2 yd gain (although Ced had a decent game and a couple of very nice runs so no offence Ced).

Correction on one thing, if you dont mind

Defense failed.

Uhm no. They even had that last pass defended, player in position, ball swatted. You dont defend fluke plays, they just happen.

The D was fine, and was the only reason the Bengals were even still in this game. This L is 100% on the O.

Yes, The defense played a great game. Im excited to see them play this year. But they gave up an 87 yard pass to lose the game with under 20 seconds left. Do you think Zimmer thought he succeeded today? Maybe we need to stop over committing and taking the whole secondary out of the play trying to hit Marshall. I cant really believe that went for a TD. Im still not sure it happened.

Im not really looking for moral victories tonight. Defense did play well but the results are what counts.

Whats up with Bernard getting one play and a ridiculous one at that? I really thought they would try to include him in the offense.

Correction on one thing, if you dont mind

Defense failed.

Uhm no. They even had that last pass defended, player in position, ball swatted. You dont defend fluke plays, they just happen.

The D was fine, and was the only reason the Bengals were even still in this game. This L is 100% on the O.

Yes, The defense played a great game. Im excited to see them play this year. But they gave up an 87 yard pass to lose the game with under 20 seconds left. Do you think Zimmer thought he succeeded today? Maybe we need to stop over committing and taking the whole secondary out of the play trying to hit Marshall. I cant really believe that went for a TD. Im still not sure it happened.

Im not really looking for moral victories tonight. Defense did play well but the results are what counts.

Whats up with Bernard getting one play and a ridiculous one at that? I really thought they would try to include him in the offense.

Yeah, for a while Ced wasn't able to find any holes. I was hoping that they'd put Scott in there to see if he could do anything. But then I remembered who our offensive coordinator is...

they gave up an 87 yard pass

Uhm, no

They had a defender in place

Said defender swatted the ball

99999 times out of 100000, that ball falls, game essentially over

freak play. fluke play. undefendable.

This wasn't Rod 'Toast' Jones 20 yards behind Jerry Rice as he caught one easily over his shoulder - this was Immaculate Reception type stuff.

If the pass had been to Stokley - I'd agree with you. But it wasn't. On the stat sheet, it'll get recorded as a long pass to Stokely, just as you say, but it really wasn't. The defense covered the guy the pass was thrown to.

Would I have liked it better if Hall had smacked the pass down rather than up? Absolutely. Oh hell yes. I think we (err, other than the trolls that came out of the woodwork today, and Joe Wrong) can all agree on that :-)

The real point is this: if the offense plays even an average game and puts up, oh, say 20 points -- we're still ahead after that fluke play. a 'W' instead of a 'L'

so....sorry dude, you're completely wrong on this one.

Well I'm not gonna read 27 pages of this thread. So don't say this was already said. Obviously a fluke game. Period.

Uhm, no

This wasn't Rod 'Toast' Jones 20 yards behind Jerry Rice as he caught one easily over his shoulder - this was Immaculate Reception type stuff.

If the pass had been to Stokley - I'd agree with you. But it wasn't. On the stat sheet, it'll get recorded as a long pass to Stokely, just as you say, but it really wasn't. The defense covered the guy the pass was thrown to.

Would I have liked it better if Hall had smacked the pass down rather than up? Absolutely. Oh hell yes. I think we (err, other than the trolls that came out of the woodwork today, and Joe Wrong) can all agree on that :-)

The real point is this: if the offense plays even an average game and puts up, oh, say 20 points -- we're still ahead after that fluke play. a 'W' instead of a 'L'

lol- Im with you TJ - The defense was the best part of the game besides Huber.

Just like on a hail mary pass which that was kind of. You NEVER hit the ball up in the air. Actually the DB gave Denver the only chance they had.

You can call me wrong all day but our defender tipped the ball high into the air. Mindset should have been the same as a hail mary into the endzone. Knock it down!

I know it was a fluke play but we gave them the opportunity.

You can call it a successful defensive play all day long. But I wont. You can call me wrong but I bet you Stokely was there for just that reason. He was looking up. Keep an eye out for a tipped ball. None of our DBs or safeties were looking for a tipped ball. Lack of awareness by our team. Just a small screw up but it lead to a freak play.

That was a failure on defense no matter how you try to say it wasnt. It could have been avoided.

But it was a collective effort by the Bengals to lose this home game against an AFC team.

As Marvin said - Its on him.

You can call it a successful defensive play all day long. But I wont. You can call me wrong but I bet you Stokely was there for just that reason.

Wait, sorry.....you're right. I just checked out a stolen Denver Playbook and page 72, there it is, right there - the play calls for two wideouts to run down the same side of the field, throw to the first one, let the DB tip it up high, and the second guy catches it. so yeah, sorry, this was just as Denver designed the play.

My bad.

Uhm, no

Agreed, it was fluke. It shouldn't have happened.

Orton said it best after the game. It was something to the effect of "in that situation you just throw the ball up and hope for a miracle."

And indeed a miracle happened. That's a miracle in the game of football

You can call it a successful defensive play all day long. But I wont. You can call me wrong but I bet you Stokely was there for just that reason.

Wait, sorry.....you're right. I just checked out a stolen Denver Playbook and page 72, there it is, right there - the play calls for two wideouts to run down the same side of the field, throw to the first one, let the DB tip it up high, and the second guy catches it. so yeah, sorry, this was just as Denver designed the play.

My bad.

Dude you are a riot.

It worked though didnt it. (joke - dont quote this like i think its a designed play- but Stokely was there to possibly get a tip - he was ready for it - he was aware that that could be a possibility - no one in the secondary was) They had a guy in position to make the play and run 55 yards untouched then run the length of the endzone wasting more time. At least Marshall didnt beat us. Our whole secondary made sure of that.

I bet next time we are in this situation, a guy will remain deeper no matter what. I bet they are going to practice batting down balls this week.

At least the effort was there. Results aside. We played hard. Lets give the defense the participation ribbon and say good job.

0-1

The play doesnt matter we lost. Until this team learns to shut the door Ill still be extremely nervous if we arent up by more than 7 with any time on the clock on any portion of the field.

Lets focus on Green Bay

Lets see what kind of magic Brat can whip up.

Twist the knife why dontcha!

Man I just have never been so elated and excited and then so down and in disbelief shortly after. Right before Denver got the ball. I asked my brother next to me 'Why am I so nervous? Should I be nervous?'

I just sat in my seat until the stadium cleared. Grasping at any shred of reality.

Its just one game. Ill be back rooting every week no matter what. My optimism/confidence level went from 8/10 straight down to a 3 or 4. Not lower because for 59 plus minutes the defense played incredible.

Twist the knife why dontcha!

Man I just have never been so elated and excited and then so down and in disbelief shortly after. Right before Denver got the ball. I asked my brother next to me 'Why am I so nervous? Should I be nervous?'

I just sat in my seat until the stadium cleared. Grasping at any shred of reality.

Its just one game. Ill be back rooting every week no matter what. My optimism/confidence level went from 8/10 straight down to a 3 or 4. Not lower because for 59 plus minutes the defense played incredible.

Must have been horrible. It was bad enough watching it on a stream 300 miles away. Thank goodness for hard liquor. Agreed on the defense. Looking forward to seeing them gel as a unit. Maybe we'll turn into a hardcore D team in future yrs. It would certainly help in our division.

Orton said it best after the game. It was something to the effect of "in that situation you just throw the ball up and hope for a miracle."

And indeed a miracle happened. That's a miracle in the game of football

They knew they were playing the Bengals, and the Bengals' were too stupid to not keep a safety deep no matter what happened during the play. Good coaches instruct their Safety to stay back and make sure the ball isn't fumbled, tipped, or in case the WR breaks a tackle, since a TD wins the game with no time left. But we had none of that...of course, just idiots diving around like wonderlic award winners.

This is basic football 101, something the Bengals' players and coaches simply do not fare well with.

But you know, here we go with another year of "bad luck," "woe is us we just can't get a break" B.S. I prefer to call it like it is - bad football and a bad football team. Doesn't hurt my feelings.

300 miles away

Only 300? So you're on the North American Continent this week, Pidge?

Ooops, typo. I am spending Christmas with my in-laws though in NYC this yr. Hopefully I'll witness the Bengals sneaking into the playoffs with my FIL, which will offset the usual tensions that families endure at that time of the yr. Outside chance of getting tickets for the Jets game after the New Year. /crosses fingers and toes

Uhm, no

Agreed, it was fluke. It shouldn't have happened.

playing defence most my life its not as easy as it sounds to tip it down, rather then up if the ball is too high. Leon was infront of the man he was covering, knew he couldnt let the ball go so he tried to get a hand on it, he did it tipped up in this case and we lost the game. It shouldnt have come down to this in the first place is what im saying. The score should have easily been 24 - 12