Broncos @ Bengals

jjakq27

This is the first time in a couple of seasons that I am really looking forward to the season starting. Maybe it's the attraction to the Hard Knocks series. Or a pretty solid draft and a relatively quiet off-season. Or a minimal number of curious roster moves. Whatever it is, I am ready for things to get underway.

While I am not predicting a playoff spot, I do believe they have the opportunity to regain some of their status from the 2005 season.

The game versus Denver looks to be a bit of a trap. As of last week the top two QBs were hurt. The McDaniel-Marshall feud shows no end in sight. Hopefully our guys won't take them lightly. We should know how we stand by mid October. While I don't think we are close to the Steelers, I see a lot of winnable games up to the bye. 4-3 or 5-2 is certainly possible.

So let's get it started.....Who Dey!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall has, not surprisingly, been reinstated. Hope the Bengals are ready to cover him.

Part of me is cringing for the Kyle Orton 400 yard passing game with 3 tds with Marshall at 197 yards and two touchdowns. Because that's kinda how opening games tend to go for the Bengals in bad years.

I hope the Bengals come out ready for this...

My main concern is with the offensive system that McDaniels runs...a lot of three step drops and short passing game to the RB's which at times has been the Bengals weakness. If Orton is the starter the Bengals D won't have to worry about a deep passing threat, I don't think the guy can throw it more than 20 yds. down field.

I will not be surprised if the Broncos keep it close, but I'll puke if the Bengals lose. They just can't.

Oh ye of little faith. I have complete and utter confidence in the Bengals' ability to royally screw this game (and this season) up. Honestly, I will be surprised if they don't, because choking in winnable games is a longtime team hallmark. Just watch: they'll blow the Broncos game not because the Donkeys are better, but because they can't get out of their own way. Mistakes and miscues let Denver hang around, the Broncos end up taking a late lead, and a final Bengals drive for a winning score ends with a turnover.

Next week, after everyone expects them to get steamrolled in Green Bay, they actually play well and lose a heartbreaker when GB makes, say, a 48 yard FG in the closing seconds.

Then in week 3 they come home, get up for the big division clash and defeat the Steelers.

Then they travel to Cleveland and get blown out by 30 points. Etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Note I'm not predicting this, just saying it would be about par for the annual course.

I will not be surprised if the Broncos keep it close, but I'll puke if the Bengals lose. They just can't.

Oh ye of little faith. I have complete and utter confidence in the Bengals' ability to royally screw this game (and this season) up. Honestly, I will be surprised if they don't, because choking in winnable games is a longtime team hallmark. Just watch: they'll blow the Broncos game not because the Donkeys are better, but because they can't get out of their own way. Mistakes and miscues let Denver hang around, the Broncos end up taking a late lead, and a final Bengals drive for a winning score ends with a turnover.

Next week, after everyone expects them to get steamrolled in Green Bay, they actually play well and lose a heartbreaker when GB makes, say, a 48 yard FG in the closing seconds.

Then in week 3 they come home, get up for the big division clash and defeat the Steelers.

Then they travel to Cleveland and get blown out by 30 points. Etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Note I'm not predicting this, just saying it would be about par for the annual course.

I agree. Each year, it seems like the most exciting game of the year for most Bengals fans is in Week 1, sadly. On paper, the Bengals are clearly the better team and they should be able to win this game easily "IF" they can win the turnover battle and stop the run, but that's always the HUGE "IF" for this team. I'm not real confident that Carson will be sharp after not playing in a live football game in about a month.

That said, I expect the Bengals to win this one in a closer than anticipated game, 17-14.

I will go out and say this is a shootout/blowout. I will go with a 42-24 game. The Broncos are going to be OK on offense, but their defense is horrific!

I'm not granting the offense. Their "best" two QBs are injured and their #1 receiver is pulling Ochocinco '08. The Bengals had better damned well win that game. If they can't, then you have to figure another 4-win season is quite possible, because I can't think of more than about 5 teams that are in a worse spot than the Broncos right now.

Let's see...

A team with a rookie HC, injuries at QB (which might force the team to start a rookie QB), problems at WR and a supposedly aging defense?

Sounds a lot like the '08 Baltimore Ravens in Week 1 to me, and that one didn't go too well. The difference is we're at home...if that even matters these days.

I'm not real confident that Carson will be sharp after not playing in a live football game in about a month.

This is my top concern as well. And not only has he not played in a live game in a month, he's only played in four real games since the end of the '07 season. And now he has basically a new o-line, new RB, and has lost his 2 favorite safety blankets in TJ and Reggie Kelly.

Given what we have seen in preseason, I expect the Broncos to bring the blitz early and often. They will dare a rusty Carson to make them pay and I am not at all sure he and the rest of the offense are in sync enough to do that.

Benson and the run game, as well as the D, need to come up big Sunday, IMO.

I'm not real confident that Carson will be sharp after not playing in a live football game in about a month.

This is my top concern as well. And not only has he not played in a live game in a month, he's only played in four real games since the end of the '07 season. And now he has basically a new o-line, new RB, and has lost his 2 favorite safety blankets in TJ and Reggie Kelly.

Given what we have seen in preseason, I expect the Broncos to bring the blitz early and often. They will dare a rusty Carson to make them pay and I am not at all sure he and the rest of the offense are in sync enough to do that.

Benson and the run game, as well as the D, need to come up big Sunday, IMO.

I am not so sure he will be "rusty". If it was his elbow that was ailing I could see it.

He would not have played more than 4 series vs the Rams and none against Indy. Just practices are what he missed.

He has a whole slew of shiny weapons to turn into favorites: Leonard, Scott, Coles... let's just protect the man and give him time to throw. All will be fine.

I just really want to see the Bengals defense the broncos have a great O-Line and i want to see if the bengals can actully get some kind of pressure on the QB. The bengals have alot of talent on this team, and the broncos are a team that they "should" beat, but like Hoosier said mistakes always kill this team. If this team could keep from all the penalties and hold on to the ball, not shoot themselves in foot they have a great chance to win, but the Broncos will probably keep it close.

Let's see...

A team with a rookie HC, injuries at QB (which might force the team to start a rookie QB), problems at WR and a supposedly aging defense?

Sounds a lot like the '08 Baltimore Ravens in Week 1 to me, and that one didn't go too well. The difference is we're at home...if that even matters these days.

Another difference is the defenses. Comparing the 2008 Ravens defense is like comparing our offense with the saints last season.

I think our defense is going to give the Broncos offense FITS. This isn't the same defense we've seen around these parts and I think they will show that come Sunday. Couple that with how bad the Broncos defense was last year and the fact they did very little to improve upon that and you get what I think will actually be a big win for the Bengals.

My concern if that "big win" should happen is a letdown against a better team they really need to get up for...

Anyway around, I'm glad we are now able to have discussions about the actual games, as opposed to what we usually have in May.

I dunno, their D might be a bit better, couldn't really be much worse. Their O has, or at least it seems like it, tanked though. They got rid of a 25 yr old QB with talent and replaced him with Orton, who despite his starts is basically a career backup. Their stud WR has gone all 85.

Now, they still have Royal and will be healthy at RB this yr, plus adding Moreno ,so they are dangerous. Nowehere near as explosive as they've been the last couple of yrs but they aren't toothless. It's up to Dhani, Rey and Williams to snuff out that running threat.

On paper I think we can win this one but the games aren't played on paper.