Hard knocks

jonahdsage

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am rooting for Nelson and Dorsey - although it's looking more and more like they might be out,

If they cut Nelson I'll be very sorry to see him go. He looks not only like a guy who should be on the team, he looks to me like a guy who should be playing in games. I'm not saying he's a starter, but he's fast and versatile. Also appears to play hard-nosed football and so far generally keeps his mouth shut.

So disappointed/unimpressed with Andre Smith...30+ pounds overweight? Cmon. No wonder he broke his foot. I question whether he is going to be able to succeed in the league with his soft attitude and apparent lack of desire. Everything seems fake/forced with him, and his antics during the combine/pre-draft validate that.

I agree Keels acted like an amateur.

Knowing that Smith is so overweight, I, for once, do not blame Mike Brown for basically scolding him like he did in the episode, instead of welcoming him. Then again maybe they should've never drafted him in the first place. You CANNOT continue to blow/waste top 10 picks, they should be paying immediate dividends for you.

I guess we'll see, as Andre certainly was a beast in the top conference in college, but it's been all downhill since he left school seemingly.

I really wanted to see him at RT to start the season, he's naturally better than Collins, or anyone on that line period - but at 30 pounds above his playing weight, he's fairly useless in the NFL. It's going to take him a couple of months to get into any kind of playing shape at this point. Just more disappointment that I'm sick and tired of.

This.

So he lost 6 lbs in 2 days?

I know I always feel better after taking a morning massive.

What do they want him at? 335?

Probably. People should keep in mind the Bengals were monitoring Smith's weight prior to the draft and selected him even after seeing his weight rise from the 328 measured at his private workout to the 340 he weighed 2 or 3 days before the draft. Knowing that it's reasonable to assume they're comfortable with Smith playing ORT while carrying more weight than an average lineman. In fact, it's a given.

Overall I thought last nights episode was the weakest of the bunch. In fact, the only moments that really moved or interested me much were those featuring Marvin Lewis.

Shortcomings aside, I still have tons of respect for Lewis and feel strongly that any player who can't bring himself to play hard for Lewis needs a ticket out of town.

BTW, I loved the Nix jersey Tank was wearing and I laughed out loud when a player was described as a guy who plays every down as if his hair was on fire.

That Nelson dude from Northern Illinois or wherever needs to be on this team. I about choked when they showed Lippincott waiting for guys to come into the lockerroom and Nelson walks up. It really looked like he was going to get cut, and I yelled at the TV, "NO!!"

Mike and Katie act like they took the holdout kind of personally. They should just forget it the moment he signed and move on. By any measure, you won the contract battle, so be positive from then on. Keels looked pretty amateurish.

Assuming next years top draft picks are watching this show, they are probably all thinking that holding out looks like a bad idea. It sure messed up Andre's first year. Maybe he can get it going and play effectively in the second half of the year.

My wife watched it with me, and when they were showing Carson looking at the cheerleaders, she said, "they have cheerleaders?" I said yes, but they're all ugly.

Carson's leadership is impressive. He's pumping up guys who are trying to make the team, encouraging teammates, etc. He is developing into a team leader, yes late, but he's doing it well.

I don't know what Tank's been up to, but Zimmerman didn't like it, saying something like all the young guys are watching you complain. Then he made a veiled threat about how bad attitude can run you out of the league.

Lippincot seems like a weirdo. He has an empty glare and is overly blunt and direct with these guys.

Andre is starting at a serious disadvantage. Fat, out-of-shape, behind in the scheme, broke foot, etc. Not a way to get going. Not professional.

I think Keels is a dufus but he was working the slotting like everyone else. Stating in front of pumpkin "Congratulations, you are now a multi-millionaire!" was a jack-ass move...idiot.

I know many sports agents in several sports and Keels seems immature, and not based on age. He was correct in pushing to get the slot dollars and now that a deal is done, he did cave a bit. What would have shown he was a pro was getiting Andre into shape and ready to get to work. For that reason alone, I think he is a junior agent.

SoP is very direct with Andre, saying how he is out of shape an behind and they are disappointed. I wonder if Andre was really in shape would they have given him some better money?

Carson is a leader and will be key to getting this team over the hump.

I think Tank is coming to terms with being a more senior leader on the D. ZImmer is giving him the straight poop about his attitude, and for that I really respect Zimmer. Tank needs to be a key guy, considering who he really is replacing (Thornton). He has a job to do.

The is going to be better but have its moments. CB depth is still my real concern. DE prssure is #2 concern.

Lippincot seems like a weirdo. He has an empty glare and is overly blunt and direct with these guys.

Am I the only one who thinks after week one Lippincott found a memo on his desk warning him to end the practice of waking a guy at 5 AM to tell him he's been cut?

No joke, pulling guys out of line as they walk to morning breakfast or meetings seems like an act of kindness when compared to the way Runnells was bumped.

Last, I'm reminded of the remarks made by Justin Smith's parents during his holdout. Paraphrased, it went something like...."Jim Lippincott is the most despicable person on the planet."

Oh anybody else have a problem with Chad in the middle of the huddle giving that awsome motivational speech, man i hope they have somebody else in there getting the guys pumped up, because that sure wouldnt pump me up. "KISS THE BABY" on three.....what the heck.

Have you been watching the episodes? It's one of his catch-phrases.. Kiss the baby means something like the fat lady has sang or it's over.. Chad is loved in the club house. The commoradery (can't spell) between these guys are strong.

I thought the speech was cool... Chad makes the game fun. I'm sure they all sit and watch Hard Knocks together on a huge projection screen and laugh at all this silly s**t.

I suppose that has more of a ring to it than, "Alright, 'the fat has sung' on three--BREAK!!!!'

Very true, but all i was saying is that wouldnt pump me up at all, i remember when a guy like Reggie Kelly did it, and it was fantastic, or Willie did it. I dont know just thought it was weird, but if it pumps guys up then hey go for it.

What weight did they say he was at?

364 when he signed, I believe is the number, with a six pound loss to 358 when he fractured his foot. Some indicated he had been about 380 at some point this offseason, at least that's what I read on PFT.

So he lost 6 lbs in 2 days?

What do they want him at? 335?

apparently at least under 350 based on that contract. Here's what I didn't understand. He'd lose half his pay if he weighed over 350 AND missed the game? So he could roll in at 360, play and get full pay? Or is it a case of, if he weighed over 350 they wouldn't play him due to health concerns? Was the contract "didn't play" or "couldn't play" ? Because there is a difference.

I thought it was if he showed up on gameday over 350 he loses half of his pay.

Am I the only one who thinks after week one Lippincott found a memo on his desk warning him to end the practice of waking a guy at 5 AM to tell him he's been cut?

No joke, pulling guys out of line as they walk to morning breakfast or meetings seems like an act of kindness when compared to the way Runnells was bumped.

Last, I'm reminded of the remarks made by Justin Smith's parents during his holdout. Paraphrased, it went something like...."Jim Lippincott is the most despicable person on the planet."

Agree, there must have been a post-it suggesting he change his "style"... Runnels may have been taken down to the gallows the way that was handled.

Even stalking the guys in the hallway is creepy. I wonder how much HBO quietly influences this stuff: "COme out of your office. Just stand over here, yeah, the light is much better for our camera..."

I wonder how much undigested meat is tied up in Lippincott's bowels? From the looks of him, it could be 25-30 pounds. yuck.

Just how little movement does one have to forego to achieve his shape? It's not of this world. He's like a pear with legs. I'm not sure which caused which. He is socially maladjusted and so eats his way to happiness and or he's a greedy bastage with no self discipline whatsoever and is thereby shunned by one and all, leading to his subtle-as-a-sledgehammer approach to interpersonal relationships.

Last night while watching Hard Knocks with Mrs. Groundhog Day, who is not a football fan:

Mrs: Is that Chad Johnson?

Mr: Chad "Ochocinco", yeah that's him.

Mrs: He thinks he has a lot of jokes, doesn't he?

Mr: Yep.

Mrs: He doesn't.

Mr. lol, nope.

I felt a little embarrassed tbh. He should try standup. No quicker way to realise you're an unfunny prick. Just run quickly and catch the ball.

Even stalking the guys in the hallway is creepy.

Every team in the NFL has it's version of the Turk, the guy who knocks on your door and asks for your playbook, and they all come across as creeps. Probably comes with the job. But the way Runnells was cut loose was needlessly cold and jarring.

Seriously, you can't say good morning first?

Last night while watching Hard Knocks with Mrs. Groundhog Day, who is not a football fan:

Mrs: Is that Chad Johnson?

Mr: Chad "Ochocinco", yeah that's him.

Mrs: He thinks he has a lot of jokes, doesn't he?

Mr: Yep.

Mrs: He doesn't.

Mr. lol, nope.

I felt a little embarrassed tbh. He should try standup. No quicker way to realise you're an unfunny prick. Just run quickly and catch the ball.

Quite honestly the funniest thing involving Chad last night was the way he tried to shut his girlfriend up....giving her both the stern look AND the hand gesture....and she just kept talking and talking and talking.

Can you imagine sharing a cab ride with those two?

They need either a weight or dress clause for Lippincott :|

I was driving home from work tonight listening to Waddle & Silvy on espn's Chicago station and even they took time out from their Bears preseason coverage to bust on Lippy. "The pear." "Upside-down lightbulb man." "What kind of shape is that?" One of the guys mentioned how odd it was that the team had a team exec as "the turk," which led into an aside by one of the guys about their time in IIRC Miami and how the psycho RB coach always used to lobby for the job of telling guys they were cut because he liked it...funny stuff.

Unless someone has better, I'm calling him Fat Reaper.

Not bad. But this by pidge:

So, that Lippincott (sp?) guy, did someone twist his lower torso around 180 degrees? Put the pads on him, he can fill in until Andre gets back.

Very dramatic music. I was expecting Morgan Freeman to pop up announce a meteor was heading for Earth at any second throughout the thing.

has me calling him "Assteroid." As in "OMG, if 475-Lippencott hits the Earth, we're doomed!"

Unless someone has better, I'm calling him Fat Reaper.

Not bad. But this by pidge:

So, that Lippincott (sp?) guy, did someone twist his lower torso around 180 degrees? Put the pads on him, he can fill in until Andre gets back.

Very dramatic music. I was expecting Morgan Freeman to pop up announce a meteor was heading for Earth at any second throughout the thing.

has me calling him "Assteroid." As in "OMG, if 475-Lippencott hits the Earth, we're doomed!"

Nope I think Turk fits him perfectly just picture him with a big old fan of feathers hell he'd be a trophy in most parts of the country !! Probably won't see him around the locker room for awhile around Thanksgiving I'm sure there is couple players, Jeremy Johnson comes to mind, that would love nothing better than a Big Butterball turkey!

Oooh you just know some of these guys want to kick Oompa Loompa Lippincott in that, well, whatever it is that has collected just below his belt.

But seriously, while I can actually empathize with how Brown reacted to fat Andre, if this is how ownership here regularly talks to and treats players, they are doing themselves no favors in the modern NFL as it relates to player relations and morale. No wonder guys want to get out of here as soon as they can.

It's overly egotistic and unnecessary. It's like these people never leave home or PBS, or watch TV. What a group of very odd, backwater people. Very fitting for this city though.