Bengals Official "CUTS" Thread

ArmyBengal

Thought he got injured because he was fat.

He sustained a knee injury that required surgery.

Why do we think the knee injury was because he was fat? Just assuming? Or was that based on something specific? I recall he got hurt in a practice before Week #1 after making it through camp a year ago. My point is, when JJ has made it to a season and played, he's generally been pretty damn good. We will have to trust that he really does have his legs under him, because if he does, that is a decent battering ram to help with the running game, particularly in Kelly's absence.

I was rooting for Pressly, in full disclosure, and hope Pressly makes the practice squad.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he got injured because he was fat.

He sustained a knee injury that required surgery.

Why do we think the knee injury was because he was fat? Just assuming? Or was that based on something specific? I recall he got hurt in a practice before Week #1 after making it through camp a year ago. My point is, when JJ has made it to a season and played, he's generally been pretty damn good. We will have to trust that he really does have his legs under him, because if he does, that is a decent battering ram to help with the running game, particularly in Kelly's absence.

I was rooting for Pressly, in full disclosure, and hope Pressly makes the practice squad.

Not sure who we is but I'm not included in that we. His injury sucked and was a blow. His attitude was equally sucky. Carson didn't come back hideously bloated at least. Difference in desire and attitude I guess.

But anyhow, not a big thing. Just disappointing that some of these guys have a great opportunity in life and take it for granted. Then again, that's not unique to pro footballers.

I was sorry to see Maurice Purify,Corey Lynch and Dan Skuta get cut. Keeping JP Foschi and Geoffrey Pope was a surprise, and I have to think their status remains tenuous. As for the third TE,I noticed that the 49ers cut Bear Pascoe. Pascoe is a beast of a blocker and I was hoping the Bengals would draft him. Now I hope they put in a waiver claim for Bear.

The practice squad I would like to see:

Jason Shirley

Corey Lynch

Dan Skuta

Maurice Purify

Freddie Brown

Clinton McDonald

Fui Vakapuna

Chris Pressley

I'd love to put James Johnson on there too, but with four runningbacks on the roster, I don't see much point in it.

That would be a terrific practice squad!

Pidge, I am probing at what I perceive to be the general board sense of why Johnson missed 2008. He was fat fat fat as camp opened, and did the whole Camp Oliver thing, as I recall, for a bunch of it, but, as near as I can remember, had made weight was ready to go in playing shape when he hurt his knee in practice. I have a hard time writing that injury off to his weight, people hurt their knees all the time in practice, in much better shape than JJ.

Point is, assuming he has health and his legs, I think he will help this team. But I def want Pressley and or Fui on the practice squad, just because.

Pidge, I am probing at what I perceive to be the general board sense of why Johnson missed 2008. He was fat fat fat as camp opened, and did the whole Camp Oliver thing, as I recall, for a bunch of it, but, as near as I can remember, had made weight was ready to go in playing shape when he hurt his knee in practice. I have a hard time writing that injury off to his weight, people hurt their knees all the time in practice, in much better shape than JJ.

Point is, assuming he has health and his legs, I think he will help this team. But I def want Pressley and or Fui on the practice squad, just because.

Fair enough, I'm with you on his injury not being down to him tripping over his own tits. Andre I think will have to answer that particular charge though, rightly or wrongly. I also concur about hoping he's back to full health because he is the best FB of the bunch when fit. It's a big yr for him I feel. As you say, one of Pressley or Fui will be waiting for another opportunity. I hope we can keep both around.

Marvin White just didn't get the job done. He was going into his third season and was battling for a spot on the bottom of the roster. I could have seen Jeremi Johnson hit the road without complaint, but it is well to remember that he was one of the league's top FBs before his miserable 2008. The coaches must be convinced that he has recaptured his mojo. At his best,JJ has a nice combination of toughness at the point of attack and athleticism coming out of the backfield. Apparently, Fui and Chris Pressley don't have that combination.And there is something to be said for JJ's experience. I don't think the coaches would go with JJ just for old times sake considering the FB's crucial role in keeping the bad guys off of Carson Palmer. Anyway, at least one of the two rookies will surely make the practice squad. As for Quan Cosby, I am happy for him. I also think he brings more to the table as WR than people are giving him credit for. He is credited with being a polished route runner with reliable hands. We'll see how things go. I was also happy to see Kyries Hebert make the team as he is a truly outstanding special teams guy.Keeping him shows that this coaching staff has a real commitment to quality special teams play. I have to think that Evan Mathis was kept because of the roster exemption for Andre Smith and the dinging of Scott Kooistra. Mathis is a versatile guy. Glad to see Dennis Roland make the team, as he has talent and great size. All in all, I can't complain too much about today's cuts. Some very good players got cut, but I'm glad to see that the depth of talent on this team is as good as it is. Still, here's hoping that the Bengals put in a waiver claim for Bear Pascoe.

Kinda shallow at C and at LB

David Jones will go to 6 week IR (PUP? whatever - out 6 weeks), and a veteran CB will be brought in to fill that roster spot

90% certain they'll get a replacement TE off the waiver wire, Foschi goes

PS:

I see them adding a C to the PS - could even be Mathis if they find a vet they like for the regular roster (1 of 8)

At least one and possibly two of the rookie FBs will make the PS to push Jeremi AYCE Johnson (2 of 8)

Shirley will definitely make the PS due to overpowering run blocking (3 of 8)

Purify impressed with toughness, blocking, and ST play, will get on PS (4 of 8)

They are shallow at LB, so at least one LB (Skuta probably) makes the PS (5 of 8)

McDonald can play all 4 line spots, marvin loves versatility, makes the PS (6 of 8)

Son of a Genius *thinks* Chris Harrington runs well, so he makes the PS (7 of 8)

Last spot is either the other FB or a surprise addition, probably a CB, one who was in someone else's camp. (8 of 8)

Hmm

My understanding is that you can bring an injured player forward onto the 53 man roster, than he goes on either IR or PUP, cant remember which designation is the right one, and then after 6 weeks he can come back to practice with the team for 2 or 3 weeks on a roster exemption, and then can either be added to the 53 man roster or released

Sorry to see Lynch and Nelson go. Glad that they kept both Leonard and DeDe.

It will be interesting to see who goes if and when big Andre comes back.

nelson made the 53

Yes he did guys. My bad.

Still wondering about the TE position and what plan B is if Jeremi gets hurt. But overall I do like the general makeup of this squad.

Something seems different this year and I am not sure what it is but I like it. For once, it mostly makes sense. They seem to have more gamers and grinders than in the past.

Sorry to see Lynch and Nelson go. Glad that they kept both Leonard and DeDe.

It will be interesting to see who goes if and when big Andre comes back.

nelson made the 53

Yes he did guys. My bad.

Still wondering about the TE position and what plan B is if Jeremi gets hurt. But overall I do like the general makeup of this squad.

Something seems different this year and I am not sure what it is but I like it. For once, it mostly makes sense. They seem to have more gamers and grinders than in the past.

Yes, It has been a very good offseason.

oh

well crap, they are VERY shallow at CB then

although someone has to be inactive. Guess he'll be one of the 8 til he gets healthy

Glad to see Nelson/DeDe still here. Not to happy about MWhite, but id rather have Roy over him anyways. Also thought Presley deserved a spot.

oh

well crap, they are VERY shallow at CB then

although someone has to be inactive. Guess he'll be one of the 8 til he gets healthy

Glad to see Nelson/DeDe still here. Not to happy about MWhite, but id rather have Roy over him anyways. Also thought Presley deserved a spot.

White is good at run support, but he's even more suspect in coverage than Williams is. Also, sometimes when White comes in to make a hit he doesn't wrap up and he just bounces off the guy he's trying to tackle and the dude keeps on truckin'.