Bengals Official "CUTS" Thread

ArmyBengal

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they kept Hill for 3rd TE

Darius Hill? He got cut! The other guy who's name escapes me must have made it as the third TE, he caught the 20yd pass on the Rams... :blink:

Ya I corrected that post,J.P Foschi looks to have made team for now though I could see him getting replaced with another TE...

Jeremi Johnson better be back to his pro bowl self if he's going to be their only FB.

I couldn't agree more, its either he's back or its their ass, I think they're hoping he's back obviously, but if not they're prob. hoping Pressley or Fui makes it to the practice squad.

I thought Fui was gonna be for us what Le'Ron McClain was for the Ravens...guess I was wrong, again! I for one would have given Pressley, a true Lo Neal kind of FB, real old school, I would have given him the nod over JJ who has already proven he lacks the hunger(no pun intended for his fat ass.) I guess we are hoping he redeems himself like Chris Henry seems to have done.

Maybe Shirly is eligible for practice squad (since he remained inactive most of the time?)

For veteran running backs Brian Leonard and DeDe Dorsey, yes. For free-agent rookies Tom Nelson and Quan Cosby, also yes as the Bengals cut a 22-player swath through their roster Saturday to get to the maximum 53 players.

For veteran safeties Marvin White and Corey Lynch, no. And for rookie fullbacks Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley, also no.

At least for now, the Bengals opted to with four running backs and just one fullback (Jeremi Johnson) while also going with 10 defensive backs in a field that counts Nelson as well as special teams ace Kyries Hebert at safety.

Here are the 22 roster moves the Bengals made in in reaching the NFL limit of 53.

Placed one player on the Reserve/Injured list:

--WR Antonio Chatman (seventh-year player; ankle)

Terminated the contracts of three veterans not subject to waivers, releasing them to free agency:

--LB Darryl Blackstock

--LB Jim Maxwell

--DT Langston Moore

Waived the following 18 players:

--S Marvin White (third-year player; Texas Christian)

--G Andrew Crummey (second-year player; Maryland), injury settlement

--S Corey Lynch (second-year player; Appalachian State)

--G Jason Shirley (second-year player; Fresno State)

--DE Chris Harrington (first-year player; Texas A&M)

--RB James Johnson (first-year player; Kansas State)

--TE Kolomona Kapanui (first-year player; West Texas A&M)

--WR Maurice Purify (first-year player; Nebraska)

--WR Freddie Brown (rookie; Utah)

--TE Darius Hill (rookie; Ball State)

--DT Ventrell Jenkins (rookie; Kentucky)

--DT Clinton McDonald (rookie; Memphis)

--CB Rico Murray (rookie; Kent State)

--T Augustus Parrish (rookie; Kent State)

--FB Chris Pressley (rookie; Wisconsin)

--LB Dan Skuta (rookie; Grand Valley State)

--K Sam Swank (rookie; Wake Forest)

--FB Fui Vakapuna (rookie; Brigham Young)

Brown, McDonald and Vakapuna were seventh-round Bengals choices in the 2009 draft, and the other seven waived rookies entered the NFL this year as college free agents.

PRACTICE SQUAD: With the exception of Marvin White, all of the players waived today are eligible to be signed to an NFL practice squad if they clear waivers tomorrow. The Bengals plan to announce tomorrow a practice squad of up to eight players.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

--Rookie T Andre Smith of Alabama remains with the team on a roster exemption, not counting against the 53 limit. The exemption expires on Sept. 14.

--TE Matt Sherry cleared waivers and reverted to the Reserve/Injured list on Tuesday.

I'd say for Practice Squad

Chris Pressley

Fui vakapuna (just incase someone takes one off)

Clinton Mcdonald

Marcus Purify

Sam Swank

James Johnson

Chris Harrington

Jason Shirly (If he can make it if not another linemen

I would love it if that was our PS! Perfect!

The practice squad I would like to see:

Jason Shirley

Corey Lynch

Dan Skuta

Maurice Purify

Freddie Brown

Clinton McDonald

Fui Vakapuna

Chris Pressley

I'd love to put James Johnson on there too, but with four runningbacks on the roster, I don't see much point in it.

Ya and hopefully team snatches him up he's run well overall.

no big surprises (maybe mcdonald) with the cutdown.

for the PS:

fui vakapuna- versatile and fierce; one year to grown into a better blocker could make him a good NFL player

chris pressley- hard worker and intelligent; compact and strong; will make a 53-man somewhere, someday

clint mcdonald- don't know much about him really; seemed to gain favor with coaches and thought he had secured a spot

chris harrington- i like this guy; i don't see him lasting on the PS the entire season; good motor and athletic (could be pro-bowl TE, right mikey?)

jason shirley- strength and desire are big reasons to keep shirley; should not play OL for anyone this year, but the potential is there

freddie brown- quiet off-season; saw very little from him; i've loved this guy since his last season at UTAH and think he has a future in the league

mo purify- caught in the numbers game; not a bad player but ST seem to be his M.O.

corey lynch- i've never been too high on him; but he works hard and makes plays, just not at an NFL level; worth holding onto considering other options

The practice squad I would like to see:

Jason Shirley

Corey Lynch

Dan Skuta

Maurice Purify

Freddie Brown

Clinton McDonald

Fui Vakapuna

Chris Pressley

I'd love to put James Johnson on there too, but with four runningbacks on the roster, I don't see much point in it.

nice list..good to see another freddie brown fan. for me, it came down to skuta and harrington. i like harrington a lot and didn't see much of skuta

I hate that a guy who can't be bothered to turn up to camp at least weighing a reasonable weight, if not being in some kind of shape, makes it. Goes along well with our injured fat rookie. Hell of a mind set this team will actually have (who gives a f**k about the platitudes mouthed to the press by the players and coaches alike) on Offense.

Chatman, they place him on IR. WHY? And they cut White, WHY? White is gone, he'll be picked up.

Otherwise, meh, I guess Marv was talking about Dede at the end of the last Hard Knocks about it being too early to give up on him.

Very happy with our stable of RBs this yr. Hurry up Andre and waddle on out there. They need blocking for.

Sorry to see Lynch and Nelson go. Glad that they kept both Leonard and DeDe.

It will be interesting to see who goes if and when big Andre comes back.

nelson made the 53

Sorry to see Lynch and Nelson go. Glad that they kept both Leonard and DeDe.

It will be interesting to see who goes if and when big Andre comes back.

Nelson made the team

I hate that a guy who can't be bothered to turn up to camp at least weighing a reasonable weight, if not being in some kind of shape, makes it. Goes along well with our injured fat rookie. Hell of a mind set this team will actually have (who gives a f**k about the platitudes mouthed to the press by the players and coaches alike) on Offense.

Mike Brown loves his Chubby JJ >-< Wonder if it was really what coaches felt was best for team..

Just to make it clear:

Bengals moves

They go with four RB and one FB. Brian Leonard and DeDe Dorsey both make it.

Tom Nelson and Quan Cosby both make it.

Cuts:

FB Fui Vakapuna, Chris Pressley

S Corey Lynch, Marvin White

K Sam Swank,

CB Rico Murray

TE Kolomona Kapanui, Darius Hill

G Andrew Crummey

DT Ventrell Jenkins, Clinton McDonald, Langston Moore

OT Augustus Parrish

OG Jason Shirley

WR Freddie Brown,Maurice Purify

LB Dan Skuta

DE Chris Harrington

LB Jim Maxwell, Darryl Blackstock

HB James Johnson

Injured Reserve: WR Antonio Chatman

Happy with their decision-making here, with the exception of cutting Marvin White and keeping Quan Cosby. If a S gets hurt, I thought Marvin made for excellent depth there. I don't really get keeping Cosby AND Nelson, at his expense. They must like Nelson a lot as a cover guy, for having such a small sample size.

Most of all,I am very glad they kept the 4 RB's. It is sad that a strong RB prospect like James Johnson is let go, he can flat play. He would do well in a place like NE.

I think the JJ decision will bite them. I wil be happy to be proven wrong but doubt it.

Mathis did not impress me much, or did Kooistra. Chatman to IR just costs money...with nothing in return, a poor management decision for GM SoP.

White being cut is just a numbers game. He had a nice outing versus Indy but isn't fast enough to play dual S/CB role, and isn't a ST guy like Hebert.

The others I am not as surprised. Next will be who they also cut once some FA's come available and who they hide on the PS. I agree with the PS list above.

Many changes to come yet.

Happy with their decision-making here, with the exception of cutting Marvin White and keeping Quan Cosby. If a S gets hurt, I thought Marvin made for excellent depth there. I don't really get keeping Cosby AND Nelson, at his expense. They must like Nelson a lot as a cover guy, for having such a small sample size.

Well seems that their really not looking at Nelson as punt returner unless Cosby gets hurt.

Mathis did not impress me much, or did Kooistra. Chatman to IR just costs money...with nothing in return, a poor management decision for GM SoP.

Mike Brown's Loyalty and Carson does seem to have man crush on chat.

Wonder if it was really what coaches felt was best for team..

Indeed, that is a valid point. As his fit old self, JJ is the best FB of the bunch by quite a ways. His attitude is shocking though and I haven't seen much of anything special so far from him. Then again, that doesn't mean he still isn't the best choice in terms of actually playing the regular season. The appraoch stinks though and he's the type of player that I would rather not have around the place if given a choice. Is he the sort of guy who will step up when needed, when the teams' back is against the wall and we need character. I dunno, but I have my doubts considering he didn't have enough fortitude to put the fork down before he even put the pads on for training camp, this after coming back from injury.

No biggie, maybe he's dropped all the weight and has been working his tail off in camp and helping the youngsters out and I haven't seen any of it from my position of ignorance as a media reliant fan across the pond.