Bengals Official "CUTS" Thread

ArmyBengal

I'm just not quite sold on Leonard.

After going through a truly anonymous training camp, he had one-and-a-half good preseason games and some have nearly deemed him as a sure player to make this roster. He is indeed a jack-of-all-trades type, but to my eye he's below-average to average (in comparison to the average NFL RB) in every category except pass receiving. My other thinking is that if Benson should become injured/ineffective, we'll go out a sign another RB from the street anyway.

Like always.

The other fact is that the Bengals have already said that Scott is a lock for the roster, which likely means he's the #2. Essentially, they're saying that their rookie 6th round pick can help the football team more than Leonard can, at this point. DeDe Dorsey and Leonard ARE NOT battling to be the backup RB on this team, and there is clear evidence of that.

I know people look at his size and think he's fit to come in if Ced is not in there, but the actually is that he only showed average NFL RB ability during his time in the NFL, to the point that the last coaching staff he had thought he'd be a better FB. And this was in the time he was healthy, as his career has been just as injury-marred as DeDe's, which doesn't bode well for future health considerations in playing in the most physical division in football.

I actually like what James Johnson brings to the table as a complete RB, as much as any back on the roster outside of Ced, although JJ looks ticketed to the PS.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just not quite sold on Leonard.

After going through a truly anonymous training camp, he had one-and-a-half good preseason games and some have nearly deemed him as a sure player to make this roster. He is indeed a jack-of-all-trades type, but to my eye he's below-average to average (in comparison to the average NFL RB) in every category except pass receiving. My other thinking is that if Benson should become injured/ineffective, we'll go out a sign another RB from the street anyway.

Like always.

The other fact is that the Bengals have already said that Scott is a lock for the roster, which likely means he's the #2. Essentially, they're saying that their rookie 6th round pick can help the football team more than Leonard can, at this point. DeDe Dorsey and Leonard ARE NOT battling to be the backup RB on this team, and there is clear evidence of that.

I know people look at his size and think he's fit to come in if Ced is not in there, but the actually is that he only showed average NFL RB ability during his time in the NFL, to the point that the last coaching staff he had thought he'd be a better FB. And this was in the time he was healthy, as his career has been just as injury-marred as DeDe's, which doesn't bode well for future health considerations in playing in the most physical division in football.

I actually like what James Johnson brings to the table as a complete RB, as much as any back on the roster outside of Ced, although JJ looks ticketed to the PS.

You just made the main point on why the Bengals should go Leonard over Dede. Neither of them is competing for the backup job. Leonard is the singleback and the short yardage back, so he will see a significant amount of snaps this season. Scott is the main backup and the change of pace back so Dede would be lucky to get 1 or 2 touches a game. Leonard excels at blitz pickup, dump off passes, and short yardage plays, so his stats might not be great by the end of the year, but he will help us convert a lot more third downs than we would have without him.

Good news on Nelson, and color me a bit surprised on Cosby, but good for him. Long shot makes good.

I could actually see Cosby developing into a good slot receiver, and I'm glad he made the roster.

We went from having crappy punt returners last year to being deep at punt returners this year. I hope both of them do as well as they did in the preseason.

If true, I guess they feel Quan>Chatman, as tey have similar qualities and skills. Chatman must be a goner, given he is always injured.

IIRC, I called Quan in my draft predictions <EDIT> Albeit, in January, as a r4 pick, but still, a hearty pat on the back for myself.

yeah, it's weird to think about not having chatman on the team just from being used to seeing him out there -- but there's no love lost for me. Our receiver corps is stacked and with nelson and quan looking solid on punt returns I really don't see how chatman stays on the team this year.

you mean seeing Chatman on the sidlines, nursing a hammy, ankle, etc.? Guy missed more games than he played, and now with possibly the most talented WR group ever, he is hurt again. I don't "dislike" chatman, but you've got the be healthy.

yeah, it's weird to think about not having chatman on the team just from being used to seeing him out there -- but there's no love lost for me. Our receiver corps is stacked and with nelson and quan looking solid on punt returns I really don't see how chatman stays on the team this year.

you mean seeing Chatman on the sidlines, nursing a hammy, ankle, etc.? Guy missed more games than he played, and now with possibly the most talented WR group ever, he is hurt again. I don't "dislike" chatman, but you've got the be healthy.

well what I really meant is saying "oh man, chatman is going to return the punt!" and then watching him take twenty fred flintstones steps without moving forward at all and then being hurt. He doesn't bother me at all, but at some point you have to realize a player isn't what you were hoping for (i.e. chris perry).

Good news on Nelson, and color me a bit surprised on Cosby, but good for him. Long shot makes good.

not too surprised myself doesn't hurt to have 2 punt returners & Nelson does so much more then return.

It wasn't Nelson I am surprised over.

4 Running backs 1 full back

The final cuts

Posted by Joe Reedy September 5th, 2009, 2:59 pm Post a Comment Recommend

Both Brian Leonard and DeDe Dorsey make it.

Placed on Injured Reserve: WR Antonio Chatman

Not a surprise: K Sam Swank, CB Rico Murray, TE Kolomona Kapanui, G Andrew Crummey, DT Ventrell Jenkins, OT Augustus Parrish, WR Freddie Brown, LB Dan Skuta, DE Chris Harrington, DT Langston Moore

Caught up in numbers: WR Maurice Purify, FB Chris Pressley, S Corey Lynch, LB Jim Maxwell, LB Darryl Blackstock, HB James Johnson, DT Clinton McDonald, OG Jason Shirley

Mild surprises: FB Fui Vakapuna, S Marvin White

PS,Wow Mcdonald got cut so guessing Fanene will be the primary 4th DT...Bit surprised White got cut and sad to see Shirley since he can't make the practice squad.

The final cuts

Not a surprise: K Sam Swank, CB Rico Murray, TE Kolomona Kapanui, G Andrew Crummey, DT Ventrell Jenkins, OT Augustus Parrish, WR Freddie Brown, LB Dan Skuta, DE Chris Harrington, DT Langston Moore

Caught up in numbers: WR Maurice Purify, FB Chris Pressley, S Corey Lynch, LB Jim Maxwell, LB Darryl Blackstock, HB James Johnson, DT Clinton McDonald, OG Jason Shirley

Bit surprised White got cut and sad to see Shirley since he can't make the practice squad.

Jeremi Johnson better be back to his pro bowl self if he's going to be their only FB.

Was kind of hoping Purify would make it. Maybe he can catch on to the PS.

The final cuts

PS,Wow Mcdonald got cut so guessing Fanene will be the primary 4th DT...Bit surprised White got cut and sad to see Shirley since he can't make the practice squad.

Is Shirley not eligible for the practice squad? I wasn't sure about it because I didn't know how many games he had on the active roster next year.

Maybe Shirly is eligible for practice squad (since he remained inactive most of the time?)

For veteran running backs Brian Leonard and DeDe Dorsey, yes. For free-agent rookies Tom Nelson and Quan Cosby, also yes as the Bengals cut a 22-player swath through their roster Saturday to get to the maximum 53 players.

For veteran safeties Marvin White and Corey Lynch, no. And for rookie fullbacks Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley, also no.

At least for now, the Bengals opted to with four running backs and just one fullback (Jeremi Johnson) while also going with 10 defensive backs in a field that counts Nelson as well as special teams ace Kyries Hebert at safety.

Here are the 22 roster moves the Bengals made in in reaching the NFL limit of 53.

Placed one player on the Reserve/Injured list:

--WR Antonio Chatman (seventh-year player; ankle)

Terminated the contracts of three veterans not subject to waivers, releasing them to free agency:

--LB Darryl Blackstock

--LB Jim Maxwell

--DT Langston Moore

Waived the following 18 players:

--S Marvin White (third-year player; Texas Christian)

--G Andrew Crummey (second-year player; Maryland), injury settlement

--S Corey Lynch (second-year player; Appalachian State)

--G Jason Shirley (second-year player; Fresno State)

--DE Chris Harrington (first-year player; Texas A&M)

--RB James Johnson (first-year player; Kansas State)

--TE Kolomona Kapanui (first-year player; West Texas A&M)

--WR Maurice Purify (first-year player; Nebraska)

--WR Freddie Brown (rookie; Utah)

--TE Darius Hill (rookie; Ball State)

--DT Ventrell Jenkins (rookie; Kentucky)

--DT Clinton McDonald (rookie; Memphis)

--CB Rico Murray (rookie; Kent State)

--T Augustus Parrish (rookie; Kent State)

--FB Chris Pressley (rookie; Wisconsin)

--LB Dan Skuta (rookie; Grand Valley State)

--K Sam Swank (rookie; Wake Forest)

--FB Fui Vakapuna (rookie; Brigham Young)

Brown, McDonald and Vakapuna were seventh-round Bengals choices in the 2009 draft, and the other seven waived rookies entered the NFL this year as college free agents.

PRACTICE SQUAD: With the exception of Marvin White, all of the players waived today are eligible to be signed to an NFL practice squad if they clear waivers tomorrow. The Bengals plan to announce tomorrow a practice squad of up to eight players.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

--Rookie T Andre Smith of Alabama remains with the team on a roster exemption, not counting against the 53 limit. The exemption expires on Sept. 14.

--TE Matt Sherry cleared waivers and reverted to the Reserve/Injured list on Tuesday.

I'd say for Practice Squad

Chris Pressley

Fui vakapuna (just incase someone takes one off)

Clinton Mcdonald

Marcus Purify

Sam Swank

James Johnson

Chris Harrington

Jason Shirly (If he can make it if not another linemen

The final cuts

Is Shirley not eligible for the practice squad? I wasn't sure about it because I didn't know how many games he had on the active roster next year.

According to his NFL.com page, he only played in three games last year.