Bengals Official "CUTS" Thread

ArmyBengal

Final roster won't be settled until after they add a few from the rest of the NFL cuts. I still think the third corner is on someone else's roster right now. That said, I have been somewhat heartened by the progress Morgan Trent has made this camp. I think he can be a useful piece down the road. Good size on him and he likes to hit.

I hope they keep Leonard. I like Dorsey a lot, but Leonard gives them a dimension that Dorsey doesn't, with Scott already on the team. And I have a tough time arguing four backs and only one fullback, as I don't trust Johnson enough. If they would keep Pressley as the one fullback, then I would be cool with four RBs. That said, Dorsey's special teams chops are hard to overlook. Can they go 6 at LBer and keep 4 RBs?

Tough choices.

And, has Shirley shown enough promise to make the roster? Is he not eligible for the practice squad? Could they even sneak him through if he was?

That's been my constant argument on Leonard over DeDe, but Dorsey would be awful hard to let go. If healthy, I've always thought he was that Turner/Sproules type of second complimentary runner.

I don't see Shirley making the final roster. The conversion experiment has been a good story for pre-season purposes, but he's not a natural fit to the transition and this is go-time now. Experiments over, let's play ball.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question for everybody...Is the Jeremi Johnson Career Reclaimation Project officially over?

I happen to think so, or at least HBO would lead you to believe that.

If this is indeed the case, I could see the Bengals keeping Pressley in a somewhat surprising move, over Fui. If the Bengals go with only 2 at TE, all 4 RBs could make the team. It's certainly a calculated risk, but how in the world do you cut a RB that is as explosive as DeDe Dorsey? The guy is a first-down machine and could lead the league in blocked kicks if Simmons turns him loose. I also believe that he's potentially the most talented KR guy we have on the roster.

I think Cosby blew an opportunity to make the team with some missed plays from scrimmage and on STs, which I'm personally OK with. I like Purify as the 6th WR and Nelson as the final DB and punt returner. Chatman is history in my book, in not playing in the final preseason game after missing almost all of training camp. I could also see a scenario where the Bengals go with only 5 WRs, to make room for an extra TE, CB or RB.

I also believe that Blackstock makes the team due to his versatility and I wonder if Hodge has any PS eligibility left.

Quick question for everybody...Is the Jeremi Johnson Career Reclaimation Project officially over?

I happen to think so, or at least HBO would lead you to believe that.

If this is indeed the case, I could see the Bengals keeping Pressley in a somewhat surprising move, over Fui. If the Bengals go with only 2 at TE, all 4 RBs could make the team. It's certainly a calculated risk, but how in the world do you cut a RB that is as explosive as DeDe Dorsey? The guy is a first-down machine and could lead the league in blocked kicks if Simmons turns him loose. I also believe that he's potentially the most talented KR guy we have on the roster.

I think Cosby blew an opportunity to make the team with some missed plays from scrimmage and on STs, which I'm personally OK with. I like Purify as the 6th WR and Nelson as the final DB and punt returner. Chatman is history in my book, in not playing in the final preseason game after missing almost all of training camp. I could also see a scenario where the Bengals go with only 5 WRs, to make room for an extra TE, CB or RB.

I also believe that Blackstock makes the team due to his versatility and I wonder if Hodge has any PS eligibility left.

Only thing that bothers me about Pressley his he dosnt have the best hands to catch the ball out of the back field, but as a blocker he sure is the best of the bunch.

Carson Palmer

J.T. O'Sullivan

Jordan Palmer

Jeremi Johnson

Chris Pressley

Cedric Benson

Bernard Scott

Brian Leonard

Daniel Coats

Chase Coffman

Andrew Whitworth

Nate Livings

Kyle Cook

Bobbie Williams

Anthony Collins

Scott Kooistra

Andre Smith

Dennis Roland

Johnathan Luigs

Jason Shirley

Chad Johnson

Laveraneus Coles

Chris Henry

Andre Caldwell

Jerome Simpson

Quan Cosby

Robert Geathers

Antwan Odom

Michael Johnson

Frostee Rucker

Domata Peko

Tank Johnson

Pat Sims

Clinton McDonald

Keith Rivers

Dhani Jones

Rashad Jeanty

Rey Maualuga

Brandon Johnson

Darryl Blackstock

Leon Hall

Jonathan Joseph

David Jones

Morgan Trent

Tom Nelson

Chris Crocker

Roy Williams

Chinedum Ndukwe

Marvin White

Kyries Hebert

Shane Graham

Kevin Huber

Brad St. Louis

Practice Squad

Fui Vakapuna

Dan Skuta

Maurice Purify

James Johnson

Sam Swank

Augustus Parrish

Freddie Brown

Darius Hill

Since we have that two week exemption on Andre Smith we will probably carry an extra tight end for a couple of weeks. Eventually I expect the third tightend spot to split snaps between an offensive lineman and Andre Caldwell.

I think we'll go with Brian Leonard over Dede. Leonard is our short yardage back and our singleback, and I just think he brings more to the table than Dede, plus Dede is always hurt. We should trade Dorsey for anything we can get, even if its just a conditional pick so we can control where he lands. I have a feeling if we just cut him, he will end up in a Browns uniform.

I don't think we'll go with just two QBs. Jordan is still a good developmental project, plus teams get to keep a third QB on their 45 man game-day roster without it taking a roster spot.

I like this roster with maybe a couple exceptions I'd rather keep Purify over Cosby. Purify can catch the ball & looks to be one of the best blocking WR we have so I'd try to get cosby onto the PS ( is Purify even eligible for the PS )

I'd like to see Harrington on the team I'm not sure how to do it but I'd hate to cut Frostee he seems to make plays when he can get on the field. Didn't they have Luigs doing long snaps if so maybe they could cut ST. Louis to get another player on the roster.

I might like to keep Crummey but I hope Shirley makes it he seems to be picking it up pretty good & looks to have a ton of potential on the Oline

I agree with you I'd rather keep Leonard & try to trade Dede they could use Leonard as a FB or even TE if they had to. I like Dede but his injury history worries me plus him & Scott seem to be similar type backs. I'd like to have a change of pace from the RBs kind of like a pitcher who has a 95 mph fastball then drops an 80 mph change up.

I like Hodge too but I haven't seen much of Blackstock this preseason he has been injured hasn't he? I can't see them cutting B Johnson I could live with either Hodge or Blackstock I like them both.

Ben Watson?

/>http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/09/04/watson_finds_himself_in_tight_spot/

That would be a big pick up if that would happen, but i heard the Eagles really want Watson. I havnt heard much from Coffman in the last 2 games, i wonder how the kid is even doing. Just knowing that Coats is our opening day TE is making me alittle sick :puke:

Not sure how Blackstock makes it over Hodge and Maxwell, ecspecially Hodge, who has been impressive as hell in the preseason.

Harrington is an interesting developmental player possibility.

Not sure how you keep Cosby over Nelson, and I think they are leaning Nelson's way, or neither.

It's too bad 3D is a long shot, guy does nothing but make game changing, big plays when healthy, absolutely a joy to watch with the ball.

I say keep 4 RB's and one FB. If Leonard can block as a FB then use him there, he needs to be able to do more than cover kicks and run the ball 2-3 times a game.

Very interesting day it should be tomorrow.

Not sure how Blackstock makes it over Hodge and Maxwell, ecspecially Hodge, who has been impressive as hell in the preseason.

Harrington is an interesting developmental player possibility.

Not sure how you keep Cosby over Nelson, and I think they are leaning Nelson's way, or neither.

It's too bad 3D is a long shot, guy does nothing but make game changing, big plays when healthy, absolutely a joy to watch with the ball.

I say keep 4 RB's and one FB. If Leonard can block as a FB then use him there, he needs to be able to do more than cover kicks and run the ball 2-3 times a game.

Very interesting day it should be tomorrow.

I agree about everything Dede does, but I think that's an interesting point about Leonard... They could keep 4 RBs and potentially use Leonard as a short yardage back and emergency full back.

Final roster won't be settled until after they add a few from the rest of the NFL cuts. I still think the third corner is on someone else's roster right now. That said, I have been somewhat heartened by the progress Morgan Trent has made this camp. I think he can be a useful piece down the road. Good size on him and he likes to hit.

I hope they keep Leonard. I like Dorsey a lot, but Leonard gives them a dimension that Dorsey doesn't, with Scott already on the team. And I have a tough time arguing four backs and only one fullback, as I don't trust Johnson enough. If they would keep Pressley as the one fullback, then I would be cool with four RBs. That said, Dorsey's special teams chops are hard to overlook. Can they go 6 at LBer and keep 4 RBs?

Tough choices.

And, has Shirley shown enough promise to make the roster? Is he not eligible for the practice squad? Could they even sneak him through if he was?

That's been my constant argument on Leonard over DeDe, but Dorsey would be awful hard to let go. If healthy, I've always thought he was that Turner/Sproules type of second complimentary runner.

I don't see Shirley making the final roster. The conversion experiment has been a good story for pre-season purposes, but he's not a natural fit to the transition and this is go-time now. Experiments over, let's play ball.

I don't think Shirley is eligible for the practice squad. If he was on the active roster for at least 8 games he is no longer eligible.

I agree with your list 100% Blain,I like fact you had Blackstock beat out Hodge which makes sense when it comes to talent even though would mean throwing Rey in to the Middle if Dhani got hurt...Wouldn't mind finding way to keep Dede but really I think Scott is gonna offer plenty of big plays...

player providing equal value + Mikey Boy's bean counting = bye bye Blackstock

Isn't Blackstock tendered so he'd throw away money to cut him vs hodge?

I've seen a lot more from Hodge than Blackstock. Hodge has laid the wood and also been a monster on STs. I'd like to see him stay.

Blackstock has Maualuga and Jeanty infront of him...Hodge only had Dhani.

Only thing that bothers me about Pressley his he dosnt have the best hands to catch the ball out of the back field, but as a blocker he sure is the best of the bunch.

Yes but I'd put him in over fui & JJ on short & goal any day of the week,the guy is a battering ram.

I agree with your list 100% Blain,I like fact you had Blackstock beat out Hodge which makes sense when it comes to talent even though would mean throwing Rey in to the Middle if Dhani got hurt...Wouldn't mind finding way to keep Dede but really I think Scott is gonna offer plenty of big plays...

player providing equal value + Mikey Boy's bean counting = bye bye Blackstock

Isn't Blackstock tendered so he'd throw away money to cut him vs hodge?

I've seen a lot more from Hodge than Blackstock. Hodge has laid the wood and also been a monster on STs. I'd like to see him stay.

Blackstock has Maualuga and Jeanty infront of him...Hodge only had Dhani.

Yes but I'd put him in over fui & JJ on short & goal any day of the week,the guy is a battering ram.

Plus, when you're talking about a fullback's hands, it really only effects like one or two plays a game, tops. You'll have some games where the fullback doesn't even get thrown to. But if Chris Pressley is a superior lead blocker, you are talking about something that is a huge boost to almost every rushing play, especially the short yardage plays we have struggled with in the past. If I had my way, we would cut JJ, keep Pressley as the fullback, and put Fui on the practice squad as insurance. Let Pressley take the majority of the fullback snaps while working in Leonard a little as a fullback on passing, non-power running plays, and some fullback runs. Its what the Bucs used to do with Mike Alstott.

Plus, when you're talking about a fullback's hands, it really only effects like one or two plays a game, tops. You'll have some games where the fullback doesn't even get thrown to. But if Chris Pressley is a superior lead blocker, you are talking about something that is a huge boost to almost every rushing play, especially the short yardage plays we have struggled with in the past. If I had my way, we would cut JJ, keep Pressley as the fullback, and put Fui on the practice squad as insurance. Let Pressley take the majority of the fullback snaps while working in Leonard a little as a fullback on passing, non-power running plays, and some fullback runs. Its what the Bucs used to do with Mike Alstott.

This is the perfect rationalization for keeping all 4 RB's and 1 FB. Pressley can mash holes for these 4 all day. Think of the 2 back sets we could have with DeDe and Bernard.... the JET v2009. <drool>

I am sorry for Jeremi but I would cut him. Pressley is plenty able to be the hammer.

I don't see a need to throw to a FB when you have Leonard.

This is the perfect rationalization for keeping all 4 RB's and 1 FB. Pressley can mash holes for these 4 all day. Think of the 2 back sets we could have with DeDe and Bernard.... the JET v2009. <drool>

I am sorry for Jeremi but I would cut him. Pressley is plenty able to be the hammer.

I think you and Blaine have convinced me. Keep all 4 of them and go with Pressley at FB. As for JJ - no sympathiy whatsoever. It's obvious he doesn't really want an NFL career so he probably won't have much of one from here on out.

Cutting JJ is something I would'nt have minded since week 1...Maybe for a play or two but I really don't wanna ruin Leonard like rams did expecting him be full time fullback

Guard-center Andrew Crummey was on crutches Thursday night with an ankle injury. Guard Jason Shirley has been an offensive player for about a month and probably needs seasoning on the practice squad. Gus Parrish had the struggles of a rookie free agent.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Numbers-game/80d95cc9-1566-409e-a9ca-12492ad83c24

Guard-center Andrew Crummey was on crutches Thursday night with an ankle injury. Guard Jason Shirley has been an offensive player for about a month and probably needs seasoning on the practice squad. Gus Parrish had the struggles of a rookie free agent.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Numbers-game/80d95cc9-1566-409e-a9ca-12492ad83c24

Hobson might not have all of the facts though. If he was on the active roster for more than eight games last season, he isn't eligible for the practice squad.

Indeed,Then I don't see option to email Hobson anymore and call him out on it :o

Im suprised nobody was even cut yet, i wonder if they are trying to work a trade of some sort, or if they are just taking there sweet old time.

Kevin Jones is done for the season in Chicago, who signed him to be their "bigger back" behind Forte and in front of the smallish Adrian Peterson and Garrett Wolfe.

With running the ball so important to the Bears offense, anybody think they might've called up to ask about Brian Leonard? Would the Bengals even listen?? I know it's a bit presumptuous, but Leonard has always struck me as a traditional NFC North type of running back anyway.

I'd consider Michael Gaines straight up for Leonard, who is a poor man's Reggie Kelly as another player who can also play FB, while being a more consistent blocking TE than Dan Coats.

Decent read on Gaines:

/>http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2009/05/michael-gaines-sees-great-opportunity-at-tight-end-fullback-with-chicago-bears.html

leonard's roster spot should not even be in question. this guy is the most versatile back up running back this team has ever had. he can play 3 different positions, rb, fb, te on passing 3rd downs. there is so much you can do with this guy. i mean short yardage, pass catching, running, blocking also goal line and st's. then it's not like leonard is a slouch, he is a very effective player. his value is so much greater than dede's or really any other backup rb on this team. not one of them including ced has hands or the ability to block like leonard. then again if someone like shirley makes it over dorsey, it's just more proof of how ignorant the management of this team can be.