Bengals vs. Rams, Preseason Game 3

jjakq27

A few of the things I will be looking for:

Brian Leonard is supposed to get more reps in this game. I'd like to see what he can do in a prolonged role.

The play of the O-Line

The ability of the first team offense to score without Carson in the game

The continued improvement of the defense. Were weeks 1 and 2 just a fluke or do we really have something going here?

The continued development of Kevin Huber. It's been a long time since the Bengals have had a weapon that Huber could be.

The new kicker. Short term fix until Graham gets back or our next kicker?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of the things I will be looking for:

Brian Leonard is supposed to get more reps in this game. I'd like to see what he can do in a prolonged role.

The play of the O-Line

The ability of the first team offense to score without Carson in the game

The continued improvement of the defense. Were weeks 1 and 2 just a fluke or do we really have something going here?

The continued development of Kevin Huber. It's been a long time since the Bengals have had a weapon that Huber could be.

The new kicker. Short term fix until Graham gets back or our next kicker?

I would add I want to see more of Rey Rey and Michael Johnson. Both are very exciting players and should be starting soon, at least Rey should be starting come game 1.

After last game I want to see if Sims can bring it in back to back games or if last game was what we have to expect from him all season.

I want to see Cosby actually get a shot at returning a punt or anyone for that matter.

I think the RB's will see a lot of carries to figure out who stays and who goes. There will be some solid guys getting the axe.

I also want to see if JT will have another solid outing with the first team offense.

Gotta find a punt return man

Let Bernard take a few punts, eh?

Ah but as Marvin says "im not worried about the punt game as long as they dont fumble the ball thats ok with me" So i guess hes not to worried about field postion then?

Meh. I'm with Marvin on this one. After all, the Super Bowl champs tied for worst average yards on returns last year.

/>http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=KICK_RETURNS&archive=false&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&d-447263-s=PUNT_RETURNS_AVERAGE_YARDS&d-447263-n=1&season=2008&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1

After last game I want to see if Sims can bring it in back to back games or if last game was what we have to expect from him all season.

I want to see Cosby actually get a shot at returning a punt or anyone for that matter.

I think the RB's will see a lot of carries to figure out who stays and who goes. There will be some solid guys getting the axe.

I also want to see if JT will have another solid outing with the first team offense.

After a hiatus...

This game will have an impact on who stays between DeDe and Scott. DeDe is undoubtedly "Mr. August" for the Bengals, but will the Cincinnati decide that DeDe is finally over his injuries and poised for a breakout season, or will Scott's upside potential be enough to keep him on the roster? I'm not a huge fan of Leonard thus far, but it seems like he will win a roster spot at RB by default, in being the only RB who seems "contact friendly" enough to battle in the AFC North, should Ced go down.

The D-line is interesting to me. Geathers and Peko have looked unbelievable and Sims hasn't been too far behind.

In mentioning Sims, I don't think that Tank is clearly outplaying him this pre-season. Same could be said about Odom and Roy Williams in regard to their individual competitions with MJ and Ndukwe. This might be an important game for all six players.

I am also interested in seeing if JT can keep it up. If not, there are currently more than a few QBs on the trade market that would be an upgrade over JT that could more than likely be had for a mid-round pick.

I want to see if Cosby can break one on STs. If he doesn't, I don't know if he'll make this team. He's already a 25 or 26 year-old rookie WR. I'm thinking we'll see Chatman for another year, which I'm personlly OK with, given he'll be ready for Week 1. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Leon, Scott or Caldwell as our season-opening PR, if they believe Purify can assume Glen Holt's role as a gunner, which is obviously pretty important to Marv. That position/decision is even more important if Lynch can beat out Hebert as a reserve S. After watching the replay again tonight of last week's game, I'm not sold on Nelson at CB covering teams' 4th WR in the Dime. It's a huge game for Fletch, too.

Speaking of Jamar Fletcher, can the Bengals gamble on David Jones being ready in Week 1 as the 3rd CB after missing virtually the entire training camp?

I am personally keeping an eye on Dennis Roland, Abdul Hodge and Chris Harrington in this game. All three entered camp as long shots to make the roster and have been impressive so far in the pre-season.

Whatever happened to Freddie Brown?

Meh. I'm with Marvin on this one. After all, the Super Bowl champs tied for worst average yards on returns last year.

I know we've had punt returners in the past who would never break a return, but who could dance around long enough to get penalties. It's occurred to me before that the best thing would be to either FC, or catch the ball and run straight forward until you get to the first wave of defenders. You don't want you backup LBs out there trying to block, pretty much a clip waiting to happen.

Are average punt return stats corrected for penalties? If not, I'd want to take that into account.

They can paint this however they choose to make themselves feel good, but if we had a dangerous return guy that had the ability to change a game with each time they touched the ball (Hester comes to mind) they would be singing a different tune in my opinion. I just don't believe any team is simply going to trot someone on the field to punt return and not worry about their results in doing maybe the only thing they do for the team.

They can paint this however they choose to make themselves feel good, but if we had a dangerous return guy that had the ability to change a game with each time they touched the ball (Hester comes to mind) they would be singing a different tune in my opinion. I just don't believe any team is simply going to trot someone on the field to punt return and not worry about their results in doing maybe the only thing they do for the team.

Well, that's just it. You can't suit them up just to return. Game-day roster spots are too scarce. That's why the Bears keep trying Hester at WR, but he doesn't seem to be able to run a route to save his life. Bengals had the same problem with Tremain Mack: great return man, lousy DB.

I'd like to see How well Andre Smith plays....owait

:beatdeadhorse:

The Bengals are a broken record, dead horse beating, Groundhog Day.

Bashing people for writing about it is pretty sad.

The only thing repetitive around here, is your posts. Same BS over and over. That's what makes you name appropriate. Every time you post it's like having the same nightmare all over again.

How're you all (err, those of you who are local) planning on watching it?

It's blacked out in Cincinnati with replay at midnight or thereabouts.....staying up late? or is there a JustinTV version available?

Obviously, I'm not local, but I have the day off on Friday and they are showing a replay at 9:00am (Central Time). I'll catch it then and stay away from the score until that point. That sucks for the locals, although if I was home I would probably head down to the stadium. For one, watching a game for the first time in the season would be great and two, it should be easy to get cheap tickets...

After a hiatus...

Welcome back....and nice post.

As for me, I understand the points being raised in regards to multiple position battles, but I have to confess I've got tunnel vision this year.

I'm all about the defense, or if you prefer...I'm consumed by it. So much so that I'm having a hard time mustering up any interest in who wins the battle for punt returner or backup RB.

Best, I'm feeling pretty darn good about what I'm seeing.

After a hiatus...

Welcome back....and nice post.

As for me, I understand the points being raised in regards to multiple position battles, but I have to confess I've got tunnel vision this year.

I'm all about the defense, or if you prefer...I'm consumed by it. So much so that I'm having a hard time mustering up any interest in who wins the battle for punt returner or backup RB.

Best, I'm feeling pretty darn good about what I'm seeing.

Thanks and Thanks, again.

I'll say I haven't been this excited about the defensive potential of a Bengals team since the year we drafted Spikes and Simmons in the 1st round, or maybe before that when we drafted Big Daddy to go along with two seemingly emerging youngers in John Copeland and Big Cat Francis. The unique thing about this D is that there are really no "stars", but it is a defense where 6 of the 11 starters are home-grown and the others are players that have all flashed at some point during their careers, before their respective teams gave up on them. Gotta love players with the proverbial "chip on their shoulders"!!

The thing I hate about Marvin saying what he said about not really caring who returns punts is that it conflicts with what Darrin Simmons has been saying all offseason about getting more in the return game. Simmons is one of the few position coaches on the Bengals staff who can be considered amongst the best in the league, along Kevin Coyle who has done great work in the Secondary. I'd hate to see Simmons go due to some differences in philosophy, ala Les Frazier.

I don't really care about the backup RB, either. I just hope that DeDe Dorsey isn't Derrick Ward part II, in being a small-school back who was injured his first few seasons in the league before breaking out as a change-of-pace back. The flipside is if DeDe somehow makes it, somebody's getting a heckuva football player in Bernard Scott.