Thoughts about the Bengals @ Saints game

The spin move on the out, getting away from the DB, staying in bounds and racking up 45 yards after catch on that play was kinda different...

True, I've never (at least I don't remember) seen him break a tackle before. That spin move was new, too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The spin move on the out, getting away from the DB, staying in bounds and racking up 45 yards after catch on that play was kinda different...

True, I've never (at least I don't remember) seen him break a tackle before. That spin move was new, too.

From what I saw he really wanted the end zone on that play. I'd like to think it was straight up football that inspired that effort, but a part of me thinks it was done to get more face time on Hard Knocks.

I wasn't able to watch the game, but Chad keeps saying that his boxing training bolstered his game (he said it made him more TJ-ish).

Did anyone notice anything in the game that could that made a difference, or did it just seem like Chad hype?

He was going for more Yards rather then getting hit in a preseason game,it was weird...

Though for the most part I'll be recycling the same comments that have allready been said, I'll add in my thoughts.

Been hyping up Scott to all my friends since they drafted him, couldn't be happier with his first showing. Especially after my hyping of Irons 2 years ago.

These linebackers are very very good. Rivers played something like 7 snaps, and was in on 5 tackles. Add Maualuga to what I saw friday and they will be as talented and deep as almost any teams out there. Also, Abdul Hodge, I had him pretty much wrote off but he was hitting and looking good. May be a good back up for Rey, similar style of play.

The back up CBs are bad. If Joseph or Hall go down, we may have some issues.

Starters on the line looked solid. Not real good, but not bad. Run blocking needs some work.

I think during the second half the Bengals and Henry were just toying with the saints. I didn't and still dont like the fact Henry was resigned. But I don't know if there is a back up CB in the nfl who could cover him, along with some of the starters.

And nice td pass from JT laid that in there nicely.

The old Chad could've done that too but the boxing has definitely helped his footwork and agility. His focus/awareness is much better too. I've never seen his routes any sharper. I'm telling you guys, Chad will be evasive as hell this season. He's gonna have a good year and It's gonna be fun to watch. Everything is riding on Carson's health though.

My boy Chris Henry is super nice too. He's a stud. This trio of Coles, Henry and Ocho is really something to be proud of. Soak it up guys.

Though for the most part I'll be recycling the same comments that have allready been said, I'll add in my thoughts.

Been hyping up Scott to all my friends since they drafted him, couldn't be happier with his first showing. Especially after my hyping of Irons 2 years ago.

These linebackers are very very good. Rivers played something like 7 snaps, and was in on 5 tackles. Add Maualuga to what I saw friday and they will be as talented and deep as almost any teams out there. Also, Abdul Hodge, I had him pretty much wrote off but he was hitting and looking good. May be a good back up for Rey, similar style of play.

The back up CBs are bad. If Joseph or Hall go down, we may have some issues.

Starters on the line looked solid. Not real good, but not bad. Run blocking needs some work.

I think during the second half the Bengals and Henry were just toying with the saints. I didn't and still dont like the fact Henry was resigned. But I don't know if there is a back up CB in the nfl who could cover him, along with some of the starters.

And nice td pass from JT laid that in there nicely.

don't be so quick to blame the corners they did their job. it was the safeties who blew their coverages.here a quote from the offial site.

8. I Think I Believe the starting safeties are hitting as advertised and that Chris Crocker and Roy Williams give this defense an edginess it hasn't had certainly in the Marvin Lewis era and not since Tim Krumrie retired 15 years ago.

Like a Bourbon Street bartender at Happy Hour, they each served a few pops early Friday night before getting out of there quickly. But the coaches couldn't have been very happy with the backup safeties.

Lewis didn't name Chinedum Ndukwe, Marvin White and Corey Lynch, but he seemed to be referring to them when he said he was disappointed in some of the backups that have played for him but weren't in the right place and were on the field when Meachem hauled in Brunell's pass and Brees threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Shockey.

So if the Bengals end up keeping eight DL, seven backers and nine DBs (five of which figure to be cornerbacks), who is that fourth safety behind Crocker, Williams and Ndukwe? You can see the major decision evolving. Do they sacrifice the special teams brilliance of Kyries Hebert for a Lynch or White?

Aside from that, every time I saw Palmer get hit, it was because a back or TE failed to pick up someone blitzing. That's hardly the oline's fault.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but IMHO the breakdown on Palmer's interception was due to another blocking miscue by Daniel Coates. Watch a replay and you'll see Coates line up as a FB, then step up into Whitworths blocking lane immediately after he snap. He and Whitworth collide even as Whitworth is still taking his first step backward, allowing the Saint DE to drive inside, thereby scraping Whitworth away. As this occurs Coates steps out of the tangle quickly and eventually engages a blitzer, but the damage is already done as Whitworth can only attempt a blatant hold to prevent Palmer from being blasted unchecked. Palmer then makes a bad situation worse by throwing late to a tightly covered Caldwell.

Just saying...

Aside from that, every time I saw Palmer get hit, it was because a back or TE failed to pick up someone blitzing. That's hardly the oline's fault.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but IMHO the breakdown on Palmer's interception was due to another blocking miscue by Daniel Coates. Watch a replay and you'll see Coates line up as a FB, then step up into Whitworths blocking lane immediately after he snap. He and Whitworth collide even as Whitworth is still taking his first step backward, allowing the Saint DE to drive inside, thereby scraping Whitworth away. As this occurs Coates steps out of the tangle quickly and eventually engages a blitzer, but the damage is already done as Whitworth can only attempt a blatant hold to prevent Palmer from being blasted unchecked. Palmer then makes a bad situation worse by throwing late to a tightly covered Caldwell.

Just saying...

Yep. I didn't take the time to break the play down like you did... but while watching the game it felt very much like the O-Line was giving Palmer plenty of time against an above average D-Line. And in the few instances where he was rushed, it appeared that it was because of poor TE play.

That said... I'm not sure that problem is going to improve much in the near future, given the TE situation. Perhaps Andre Smith's immediate job when he joins the team can be the Dancing Bear's old role as the giant run-blocking TE?

...maybe not.