Jason Shirley moved to LG?

Walrus

In your face, whoever that was, I was arguing with over whether the 7th round pick on McDonald was wasted.

Early returns are....NO.

it was draftnik, he bashed nearly all of the picks. i wanted to e-slap him.

this move assures fanene a spot and probably mcdonald too. that would give them two dt/de and zimmer loves versatility.

Jason Shirley was the typical Mike Brown pick - physical gifts that far outreached anything he'd done on the field. This was also the typical result. I guess I'm assuming he's not going to make the team. A late pick like this is not big loss anyway. But our 2nd rounder from last year also fits this mold. That's a big loss. I know he put up good numbers in college, but his physical attributes are what got him drafted, not his D-II stats.

Workout warriors are not the answer, we need football players. It's almost as if the scouting staff, to prove to the world that they can do the job, stay away from the safe picks and reach for guys just to show they've done their homework.

Definitely not in favor of this, if JShirley couldn't make it as a DT, what makes them think he can make it at a position that is tougher to learn and more responsibilty...I wouldn't want him to be protecting my 100 mil QB...these experimental projects never to seem to work for the Bengals anyway...

Definitely not in favor of this, if JShirley couldn't make it as a DT, what makes them think he can make it at a position that is tougher to learn and more responsibilty...

Because Guard is supposed be easier to learn maybe?Because they have 3 backup guards injured so rather then sign a guy who get cut give shirly a chance to earn a spot somewhere on the team?

In your face, whoever that was, I was arguing with over whether the 7th round pick on McDonald was wasted.

Early returns are....NO.

So I guess I'm not the only one who sometimes forgets who in the hell I was arguing with?

Nope. And I really wanted to know, since whoever that was, was being a complete f**knut in the Round 7 draftee thread on draft weekend. I went looking for it, but couldn't see where it was moved over to this board after the upgrade...

Early returns are....NO.

it was draftnik, he bashed nearly all of the picks. i wanted to e-slap him.

this move assures fanene a spot and probably mcdonald too. that would give them two dt/de and zimmer loves versatility.

Thank you very much, Baraka.

The bleating from draftnik about how McDonald was a complete stiff was unsupported and extreme, even for him...McDonald came with a VERY interesting set of measurables at a position where development can take time, hardly a waste of a 7th round pick...

Early returns are....NO.

So I guess I'm not the only one who sometimes forgets who in the hell I was arguing with?

Nope. And I really wanted to know, since whoever that was, was being a complete f**knut in the Round 7 draftee thread on draft weekend. I went looking for it, but couldn't see where it was moved over to this board after the upgrade...

As Baraka said, it was Draftnik. Clue is in the name I guess and yes, he was s**tting in everyone's cereal this yr. That totally underrated 4'11" WR out of Springfield Tech who went undrafted and unsigned is really gonna bite us in the ass when he never plays a down in the NFL for any team ever. Instead, we have Chase Coffman. Typical jerk move by Mikey.

To be honest (and fair) I was also puzzled by the selection of McDonald

I still have not heard much about him in any of the OTA or camp news, except from membengal who for some odd and entirely unknown reason (hehe) has taken a shine to him

Indeed,Like I haven't heard anything about mcdonald but just few good tidbits about shirly here there but there wasn't anything negative.

To be honest (and fair) I was also puzzled by the selection of McDonald

I still have not heard much about him in any of the OTA or camp news, except from membengal who for some odd and entirely unknown reason (hehe) has taken a shine to him

He played his college ball in Memphis, so I was aware of him, when a lot of you were not. He's a physical freak. His 40 was way fast for a DT and he jumps like he's got springs in his shoes. He's got a weird unique skill set and he's a large man. He played for f**kawful defensive coaches in college, simply the worst, and I am legitimately curious what may happen with him under a real coach like Zimmer.

I have no idea if he will EVER be anything other than practice squad fodder, but my only point in that thread where a few of the mental defectives were predictibly losing their s**t and trashing the draft over the 7th round selection was that there WERE good reasons for taking a flier on the guy at that point in the draft, given his size, measureables, and the position he plays.

I have taken no shine to him, other than to wonder why some people need to trash drafts based on 7th round picks. That said, there is stuff being said about him, Hobson mentioned him again in his latest mailbag, and apparently he has looked good enough that Shirley is being kicked to offense.

So, at this early date, the returns are it was NOT a wasted pick, no?

ETA: And, since we are here again, McDonald:

/>http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75357&draftyear=2009&genpos=DT

40 time: 4.83

10 yard time: 1.63

Vertical jump 38 inches

36 reps at 225 pounds

7 sacks for the Tigers in 2009.

Again, I have no idea what he can become, all I know is the bleating about a "wasted" 7th round pick on a guy that has the raw stuff McDonald does was overblown and unseemly.

Frankly, McDonald is the kind of guy that goes to Pittsburgh or Baltimore and in three years is killing Bengals running backs in the backfield while we wonder where in the f**k he came from. If Cincy wants to make a leap, it needs to become the kind of team that identifies AND develops raw talent.

Early returns are....NO.

Well, here's the thread from the McDonald pick for you...

/>http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=19608&st=0&p=275749&fromsearch=1&#entry275749

I was reading the Thornton blog and he made mention of the fact that Shirley also helped out as an OG during practice last year and he looked good while doing it.

While I'm not about to say due to that information, he's a lock to stick on the team, I did find it interesting he practiced there last year.

Even back when the pick was made Trevor Canfield was still on the board and I made a comment about him being the better option.

With the move of Shirley to OG, it seems that may have been correct. Hard to see injures though...

NOT saying Canfield would have been a bad pick, simply noting, again, that McDonald was not the great big pile of steaming s**t of a pick that ruined an entire draft that a few made him out to be. McDonald fits the profile of "hidden potential" that I like for a late round flier. As did Scott. Sometimes you have to look for a diamond in the rough in terms of measurables and see if it can pan out. The Steelers and Ravens live for that kind of find. McDonald, for me, falls into the "yaneverknow" category, and I like his athleticism and think he was worth a flier late, that's all. The fact that he is apparently doing well enough to move Shirley to offense tells me that there may be some potential in this particular flier. Or not. We shall see.

But he wasn't a s**t pick.

Even back when the pick was made Trevor Canfield was still on the board and I made a comment about him being the better option.

With the move of Shirley to OG, it seems that may have been correct. Hard to see injures though...

NOT saying Canfield would have been a bad pick, simply noting, again, that McDonald was not the great big pile of steaming s**t of a pick that ruined an entire draft that a few made him out to be. McDonald fits the profile of "hidden potential" that I like for a late round flier. As did Scott. Sometimes you have to look for a diamond in the rough in terms of measurables and see if it can pan out. The Steelers and Ravens live for that kind of find. McDonald, for me, falls into the "yaneverknow" category, and I like his athleticism and think he was worth a flier late, that's all. The fact that he is apparently doing well enough to move Shirley to offense tells me that there may be some potential in this particular flier. Or not. We shall see.

I'm not saying he was a bad pick where we got him either and I also agree that he has obviously been doing something right out there.

My point with Canfield is, he was looked at as a 3rd-4th round talent that fell into the 7th round and with the help we surely could have used, even before the recent injuries, I found it odd they just passed on him completely. Then again, I thought they would have taken a Center sooner than they did. I was wrong (props to Hair for calling that early) on that one and they must have thought they had more than it appears they now do if they had to move Shirley across the way.

Good luck to McDonald as I don't think he was a wasted pick by any means. Did the link work for you mem ??

If there was a s**t pick made it was a year earlier when Shirley was selected. And there's the rub because the selection of Shirley was remarkably positive, all things considered. Certainly more popular than the slection of McDonald despite the latter being a near perfect fit for the vacated elephant DE/DT role once manned by Thornton.

As for McDonald, I honestly haven't heard much about him since being selected but EVERYTHING I have read has been good. (A pleasant suprise...ahead of schedule...capable of multiple roles....extremely hard to block.)