WTF-Ben Utecht is down

Kazkal

Absolutely f**king nothing.

The Bengals signed some pre-season fodder to help at TE, and because Florio said "boo", a bunch of panty-bunchers are picking female undergarments out of their colons...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many of you give a flying f**k what pft says about throwaway signees?

That's a serious question.

Seriously, why is your self-esteem as fans tied up in Mike Florio's opinions?

I can only speak for myself here, but I could care less WHO gave the opinion of a signee that may be a "throwaway" as you called him, but it's the point that the Bengals front office didn't have to go that route for a player that is in fact a "throwaway". It brings that sh*tty opinion from the press to the team that is just stupid. Really. There's no reason for them to bring in a guy with those types of issues.

Florio, name your other reported or analyst, or fan for that matter, it doesn't matter who gives the opinion, it was just wasn't needed.

The other of those two "alleged flashers" was signed by Baltimore. I moved to Baltimore a few weeks ago, and I assure you, no panty bunching over the signing for the Ravens over this way. At. All.

Seriously, army, I expect better from you.

Why do so many of you give a flying f**k what pft says about throwaway signees? And perhaps this guy has a little more talent than your average throw-away signee. Are we saying the Bengals are so full of talent at TE they should set aside a "questionable character" to sign the lesser talented guy? I heard that s**t from a lot of you criticizing the Scott draft pick in the sixth round. It was wet-panty bunching then too.

So, seriously, why is your self-esteem as fans tied up in Mike Florio's opinions?

Ok Mem, you edited your post... ^_^

Maybe he does have some more talent, but I would doubt highly the guy has enough to take a job away from Sherry and they don't even think he's going to make the team, so I think it's besides the point. I've never said the Bengals are full of talent at the TE position and why I was so happy when they drafted Coffman. As for my self-esteem, it has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING football related.

Why do so many of you give a flying f**k what pft says about throwaway signees?

That's a serious question.

Seriously, why is your self-esteem as fans tied up in Mike Florio's opinions?

I can only speak for myself here, but I could care less WHO gave the opinion of a signee that may be a "throwaway" as you called him, but it's the point that the Bengals front office didn't have to go that route for a player that is in fact a "throwaway". It brings that sh*tty opinion from the press to the team that is just stupid. Really. There's no reason for them to bring in a guy with those types of issues.

Florio, name your other reported or analyst, or fan for that matter, it doesn't matter who gives the opinion, it was just wasn't needed.

The other of those two "alleged flashers" was signed by Baltimore. I moved to Baltimore a few weeks ago, and I assure you, no panty bunching over the signing for the Ravens over this way. At. All.

Seriously, army, I expect better from you.

C'mon dude, seriously ?? The Ravens brought in a player at a position of weakness that actually has a shot at making the team. That's a FAR cry different than bringing in a player for the sole purpose of "taking snaps" for the guys who are going to make the team. Once again, it's not about what Florio has to say or any other reporter. I posted it for the reasoning of the Bengals ALWAYS making these types of moves and bringing negative attention to the team and in this case FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER. I know you aren't trying to argue the negative attention isn't a problem especially when we have enough distraction with HBO in house. Again, just not needed.

WHAT NEGATIVE ATTENTION?

All I am seeing is FLORIO! And I don't know why anyone where GIVES A s**t what Florio writes!

Seriously, stop sucking his nut.

And, army, you were advocating for Vick (which I thought was an interesting argument) and you are putting on ladies underwear over this? Find your Vick side, man.

As for "no reason", it would appear there IS some reason. If the Bengals need three tight ends, who are they are this point?

Coffman, Coats, ...... and...

who, exactly?

Sounds like Utecht may be done. We know Kelly is done. We know Sherry has already been handed his walking papers as not being the guy before. So, perhaps public urination guy might actually have a shot to make the roster if he can actually play. Does that chill you out?

I really don't get the issue.

Let's wait and see if he makes the team and then we can argue about it. I think this discussion will look awfully silly if we pull it up from the archives in mid season

Army, you have said many times that you see no point in bitching about the way Mikey runs the team cause it's never gonna change, so why bitch about this? He's going to keep on doing it. May as well just accept that as fact, too. Hell, embrace it. It's going to keep happening.

WHAT NEGATIVE ATTENTION? All I am seeing is FLORIO! And I don't know why anyone where GIVES A s**t what Florio writes!

Good God, did you forget to take your rage pills this morning? Why are you so bent out of shape about what people think about this guy? Talk about somebody having their panties twisted...

People are entitled to their own opinions and values, and it's quite possible they might differ from yours.

Without raging about it, I think the main point here is that the bengals *could* have picked up any number of scrub tight ends of roughly same ability/quality to use for practice who did not carry baggage like that

I mean, c'mon - say you are a hiring manager with a warm-body-type position to fill, and you've got it down to two guys with more or less the same qualifications, and then you find out one of them likes to assault women and fondle themselves while doing so. Pretty easy decision there - it'd be stupid to do otherwise (like the bengals just did) - hire the non-fondler.

Hey, did I just coin a new term?

Someone call the folks at urbandictionary.com......

(Other than that, I will agree with whatever Sea Ray says on the condition he lets me borrow his boat for a weekend or two.)

Without raging about it, I think the main point here is that the bengals *could* have picked up any number of scrub tight ends of roughly same ability/quality to use for practice who did not carry baggage like that

I mean, c'mon - say you are a hiring manager with a warm-body-type position to fill, and you've got it down to two guys with more or less the same qualifications, and then you find out one of them likes to assault women and fondle themselves while doing so. Pretty easy decision there - it'd be stupid to do otherwise (like the bengals just did) - hire the non-fondler.

(Other than that, I will agree with whatever Sea Ray says on the condition he lets me borrow his boat for a weekend or two.)

Sure, they could have picked up a warm body that didn't have a rap sheet but in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. Of course I understand this time of year there is not a lot to talk about.

The boat is there for you to borrow anytime, just no Steeler fans, OK?

I'm headed up to Lake Michigan to use it this weekend as a matter of fact. It's a 500 mile drive but I am a little nuts. You can't be perfectly normal and be a fan of this franchise anyway. I actually have a little work I need to complete on it. I've got a rotted out seat that I'm rebuilding. Such is the life of a boat owner. Oh well, it takes my mind off of thoughts like Mike Brown...

Well, they key word everyone is missing here is "alleged". It was never proven and he was never found guilty. It was he said she said. Second of all, big freakin deal. So he pissed on a wall. Who cares? Anyone here ever piss outside? I sure have.

I just don't understand how no one else here has become numb to the fact that players with not so good character get signed here. All offseason we've been excited about the fact that we have Chad, Henry, Tank, Cedric, Frosty, and Scott. Now we're going to be pissed about some guy who publicly urinated? C'mon. Get over it.

WHAT NEGATIVE ATTENTION? All I am seeing is FLORIO! And I don't know why anyone where GIVES A s**t what Florio writes!

Good God, did you forget to take your rage pills this morning? Why are you so bent out of shape about what people think about this guy? Talk about somebody having their panties twisted...

People are entitled to their own opinions and values, and it's quite possible they might differ from yours.

DC, I went caps because Army went caps, and I was poking him in response.

I am not raging, I am simply pointing out that knee-jerk whining about this pick-up is awfully silly. And a lot of the whining is about "how it looks" when, as near as I can tell, the only site talking about it in the way that everyone is worried about is PFT.

So, again, I don't get the fussing.

If the new guy (whose name I am not going to bother to learn at this point) waves his wang while pissing at Pumpkin while Hard Knocks is filming it, well, then, I will step up and admit all the panty-bunching was worth it and the bunchers were right to do so.

Short of that unlikely occurrence, I ask again, why do we continue to worry about rap sheets? In a league with rapists, murderers, dog murderers, etc. etc. etc. all employed by any of a number or teams, why do we continue to accept that the Bengals are somehow "worse" than other teams? The SB champs have an accused rapist QB who completed the SB winning pass to a drug guy. I don't see Steeler fans apologizing for s**t.

So, really, I toss out there again to my fellow zealots on this board, stop accepting the "shame" memo as a fanbase. It's bulls**t.

Unless the qualifications are NOT the same...then, is it worth it?

Point is, we really don't know, do we? Should the Bengals have passed on your beloved Benard Scott because of his history? A lot of folks made these same panty-bunching arguments in the Scott draft thread, I seem to recall...

Short of that unlikely occurrence, I ask again, why do we continue to worry about rap sheets? In a league with rapists, murderers, dog murderers, etc. etc. etc. all employed by any of a number or teams, why do we continue to accept that the Bengals are somehow "worse" than other teams? The SB champs have an accused rapist QB who completed the SB winning pass to a drug guy. I don't see Steeler fans apologizing for s**t.

Two answers: First, since the Bengals had a glut of doofuses in '06, the spotlight is on us and I'd rather just as soon not hear the "Bengals sign another criminal!" stories and comments anymore. Effectively, the Bengals need to hold themselves to a higher standard for a couple of years until they shake the tag. As you point out, there's a sufficient supply of criminals in the league that some other team will probably end up with more than their fair share and somebody else can wear the crown.

Second, who's to say that if I were a fan of those other teams that I wouldn't be just as annoyed by them hiring criminals? I don't buy the "everybody else does it" defense.

So, really, I toss out there again to my fellow zealots on this board, stop accepting the "shame" memo as a fanbase. It's bulls**t.

I don't think anyone is, I think you're misreading motives.

When I see worrying over a guy's rap sheet, it's because people have bought into a shame memo.

Reject it.

As for 2006, they make the playoffs if Shayne Graham can kick a field goal against the Steelers.

Just sayin'.

Talent is a nice thing, whether it comes with a rap sheet or not. This team needs talent.

Sorry I had to step out of the conversation for an appointment, but after reading some of the responses, this is where I am with this...

#1. Yeah, I guess it really doesn't matter and yes, we do need help at TE, but this guy's not it. There's just no way anyone can honestly think this guy is going to be the TE that makes the team. Even though they cut Sherry in the past, he was actually drafted by the Bengals and knows the system, so yes Sherry over dick wrangler.

#2. I just don't get why they would bother putting themselves in a situation to get any negative feedback, but will also admit they haven't gotten any outside of PFT, so there's that. Still not a position I feel the team needs to put themselves in for fodder. I mean really.

#3. Vick would have been different as well and if you need any further evidence to why, check how many snaps Carson is expected to take in the next preseason game. I made that argument as to the overall affect he would have on the team. Billy Joe Dick Wrangler ?? Not so much.

#4. I'm cool with it and do see Mem's and others points. I just feel there were others out there without the issues. Anybody that could have brought what this kid does.

Outside of that, no other issues...

Point is, we really don't know, do we? Should the Bengals have passed on your beloved Benard Scott because of his history? A lot of folks made these same panty-bunching arguments in the Scott draft thread, I seem to recall...

Go find me a highlight film for either of these two guys, and we'll compare to Bernard's

and no, you're not going to tell me there wasn't a hundred other scrubs equal to or better than this schmoe who don't carry any baggage

also - and to the topic, not to you - jeremi can play a little tight end, he has done so in the past

and of course, Chris "Mike sez Im a TE" Harrington. and Tab.

Go find me a highlight film for either of these two guys, and we'll compare to Bernard's

and no, you're not going to tell me there wasn't a hundred other scrubs equal to or better than this schmoe who don't carry any baggage

It doesn't matter. The question is whether the Bengals (Mikey) value character. They don't. The sooner we come to grips with that the happier we'll all be. I don't like it much either, but nothing we do here is going to change it. After three years of getting blasted by the media about character issues Mikey still signs people with checkered backgrounds so he obviously doesn't care what people think about him or the organization as a whole.

It doesn't matter. The question is whether the Bengals (Mikey) value character. They don't. The sooner we come to grips with that the happier we'll all be. I don't like it much either, but nothing we do here is going to change it. After three years of getting blasted by the media about character issues Mikey still signs people with checkered backgrounds so he obviously doesn't care what people think about him or the organization as a whole.

For some reason or another, it just irritates me. I think it was you that said I just deal with Mike Brown's issues and you are right, I should lump this crap in with all the rest. Thing is, it is in fact crap and while I can lump it in, it is another reason to be irritated with our front office and Mike Brown.