WTF-Ben Utecht is down

Kazkal

Needs a stretcher to be taken off the field..... 3 tight ends in 3 days wtf....

CinBengalsNFL - Utecht being strapped on board and being put into ambulance

CinBengalsNFL - Utecht being attended to after taking shot in live half line drill

JohnThornton - Another one down. Not good. Pray for him

August 5 4:55 ET

After laying motionless on the field for about 12 minutes, Bengals TE Ben Utecht was whisked away by an ambulance.

August 5 4:48 ET

Just before the stretcher comes out, Bengals WR Chad Ochocinco comes over and says a quick prayer for TE Ben Utecht.

August 5 4:45 ET

Bengals TE is still down on the field and the ambulance is here.

August 5 4:42 ET

Bengals TE Ben Utecht is on the ground and injured.

Bengals TE Ben Utecht is on the ground and injured.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CinBengalsNFL - Utecht being attended to after taking shot in live half line drill

Well, Bubba Franks, come on down!!! I think this clears the way for Chase Coffman to start which makes me happy!

I feel horrible for Utech tho, I was very excited when we got him from Indy!

Well, Bubba Franks, come on down!!! I think this clears the way for Chase Coffman to start which makes me happy!

o_O I want to see Coffman play but jeez I rather have depth...

Joe Reedy just twitted it is a concussion and going to the hospital for precautionary reasons

Good news I guess,fewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Joe Reedy just twitted it is a concussion and going to the hospital for precautionary reasons

Please tell me that Rey Rey cleaned his clock

I bet it was Roy Williams.

I bet it was Roy Williams.

Hell, either way I like it. I hope Roy does the same thing that Ced did last season, resurrects his career here and then resigns for a couple seasons at a discount

Well, Coffman understanding he needs to work on his blocking skills as well as the coaches is a step in the right direction and gives him focus during camps and into the preseason. If Coats isn't to banged up, it appears they were looking for him to assume the "blocking TE" role that Kelly was. I'm still not concerned about the TE position.

How is it that people are now saying we are screwed with Kelly going down, when they don't think the Bengals utilize the TE to begin with ??

It'll be ok...

Well, Coffman understanding he needs to work on his blocking skills as well as the coaches is a step in the right direction and gives him focus during camps and into the preseason. If Coats isn't to banged up, it appears they were looking for him to assume the "blocking TE" role that Kelly was. I'm still not concerned about the TE position.

How is it that people are now saying we are screwed with Kelly going down, when they don't think the Bengals utilize the TE to begin with ??

It'll be ok...

Im under the thinking that it is better a TE than a QB, RB, or Lineman. The only other place we could afford an injury on Offense is WR. We could lose one LB, S, maybe DE and maybe a DT on defense and be OK, but I don't want that to happen.

It'll be ok...

Im under the thinking that it is better a TE than a QB, RB, or Lineman. The only other place we could afford an injury on Offense is WR. We could lose one LB, S, maybe DE and maybe a DT on defense and be OK, but I don't want that to happen.

I'm not sure what DE you think the Bengals can afford to lose. They seem as shallow at that position as ever. After Odom and Geathers you're looking at a group of tweeners and unprovens.

As far as the news on Utecht... Very good to hear. More from a personal perspective than a football one. Hopefully he'll be back on the field soon... But even if not, it's good to know he didn't hurt his neck, or do something much more serious than a concussion.

This time of year, you can't afford to have too many players missing action. It's ALWAYS screwed up Mikey's teams. You need enough warm bodies to run a couple of "second" teams, staff both sides of the special teams, and have people play HARD into the 4th quarter of preseason games. 20 games is too long a season, especially for rookies.

Anyone here play tight end in high school???

Utecht will be back in no time and this gives the rook much needed reps. Coffman is the one who needs to be the eventual starter anyway. Coffman will get some serious first team reps in the meantime. Coates...didn't need to be taking snaps away from Coffman in the first place.

Special teams is a concern though with only one TE (not counting St. Chokus).

Like Kelly, I hope Utecht and Coates are ok but this may be another one of those fortunate in the long term injuries.

It'll be ok...

Same people who are praising Coats as being probowl level tight end...?

It'll be ok...

Same people who are praising Coats as being probowl level tight end...?

Honestly, I am not and never have been a Coats fan. He's one of those players that I could care less if I ever hear his name called on game day.

It makes you wonder how bad Matt Sherry must have been...

Why on Earth do you want Rey hurting anyone on our offense? I'm all about him hitting people, but not people on our team. Save that for the opponents.

The team needs more depth at the position. You can't be going in to pre-season with one healthy tight end, esp considering the supposed "renewed emphasis on the run". I hope they bring in a veteran like Franks along with one of the young guys we cut before. Sounds like Pollard is probably retiring. Unfortunately, it looks like pretty slim pickins out there right now.

EDIT: I should add -- the last I heard we were 2 players under the roster limit nobody would have to be cut to bring in some guys.

EDIT #2: I hadn't checked the .com -- sounds like they're already on it...

NEW TEs?" Who could the Bengals get for new tight ends? There's not much out there between long-in-the-tooth guys and inexperienced young guys.

Besides Bubba Franks, there are other double-digit veterans out there like former Steelers Mark Bruener and Jerame Tuman. But Bruener has played in just nine games the past two seasons combined. As expected so late into signings, there's not much out there. There is the age issue (long-time Raven Daniel Wilcox, 32, is also out there) and the Bengals usually avoid signing older players.

But, there aren't many young ones, either.

The Bengals could go out and sign their sixth-round pick from '08, Matt Sherry, a guy they cut back in June. Or there is Martrez Milner, a fourth-round pick of the Falcons in 2007 who didn't play in the NFL last year. Or George Wrightster, 28, a fourth-round pick of the Jaguars who played in just five games last year.

Head coach Marvin Lewis left open the option of signing maybe more than one.

"We'll look to bring in some people," he said. "You may take a look at guys like that physically, older guys, what they can do in a workout situation. I think you'd want to research some of that," he said.

For how uniumpressed I am for the most part about who they may bring in, it would at least appear that they "should" bring someone in to spell what appears to only be Coffman at this point. It's one thing to get your reps and quite another to take all the reps. In regard to the thought of trading someone from one of our positions of depth, is there a TE out there anyone would like to see the Bengals trade for that would be reasonable for them to pull off ??

And Sherry is back...

The Bengals now might end up signing two more tight ends. Internet reports Thursday indicate the Bengals have re-signed tight end Matt Sherry, their sixth-round draft pick from 2008 who was recently waived on June 20.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/utecht-released-from-hospital/485e42e6-52b0-4b78-a50e-ff659cbeb266

From the official site:

Last Friday, Matt Sherry was driving a Budget moving van to his new apartment in Boston. On Thursday he's about to take the field for the Bengals 3 p.m. practice as their most experienced tight end.

The Bengals signed Sherry on Thursday and were trying to get another one in here, but one had already signed on elsewhere and the others apparently weren't deemed a fit. The Bubba Frankses of the world look to be too long in the tooth for their tastes.

"I don't have Internet or cable so I didn't even know what happened to Reggie (Kelly) until they called me yesterday," said Sherry, the New England son outfitted in a Red Sox hat and Providence T-shirt.

Welcome to the bigs again, kid. Up since 4:15 a.m. to get a 5:30 a.m. flight out of Logan Airport, Sherry had a chance to see Kelly on Thursday recovering from season-ending Achilles surgery Thursday morning at the Cincinnati doctor's office while he was getting his physical.

"What a great guy. He's such a good leader and a guy I looked up to," Sherry said.

Sherry had just come from being outfitted by Bengals equipment manager Jeff Brickner, and on his way back to the conference center here at Georgetown College it dawned on him that the Bengals called him even an hour before their No. 2 tight end, Ben Utecht, went down with a concussion in Wednesday night's practice.

"Someone in my family ended up telling me about that," he said.

If Utecht passes the rest of his tests and comes back, then Sherry probably ends up a victim of numbers. He's here to give the beleaguered corps of tight ends a reprieve. Daniel Coats is down to one crutch, but his sprained ankle figures to keep him out for at least a few more days and the Bengals need a guy just to let them work on their three tight-end packages in Friday's scrimmage and Saturday's Mock Game.

But the 6-4, 250-pound Sherry, who has his master's in finance from Villanova, will gladly take the film. He hasn't started the other part of his life yet. "I still want to play," he said, so even though the Bengals cut him after the last practice of minicamp back on June 20, he kept lifting and running. He moved to Boston last week to have a base of operations, about an hour down the road from his hometown of Rumford, R.I.

He admitted that he was surprised the Bengals cut him. Although he only got to the first preseason game last year before having season-ending shoulder surgery himself, they did use a sixth-round pick on him in 2008.

"I think it's tough to tell," said Sherry of how far he thought he had progressed. "I think it's really tough in those OTAs with no pads on for the blocking aspect of the game. I don't know how much of a true simulation it is without pads on. We'll find out shortly. I'd like to think just the fact I'm more comfortable with the system, hopefully that will help."

Like most college tight ends, Sherry made his name as a receiver and his 37 catches and five touchdowns in '07 for 'Nova earned him the Colonial Athletic Association Student-Athlete of the Year.

But head coach Marvin Lewis repeated Wednesday night the same pitch he had when the Bengals drafted Sherry. Instead of waiting for that special, rare guy that can both catch and block, take a shot on an excellent receiver who can run that has a frame that can grow into 270 pounds or so. That's why they took Chase Coffman in the third round this year.

It turns out that Sherry actually has a few more Bengals camp practices under his belt than the two remaining healthy tight ends, Coffman and fellow rookie Darius Hill.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/sherry-gets-another-call/66ab19d5-261f-48b3-a01e-e8e3f79068f6