Starting Lineup Revealed by Marvin Today

ArmyBengal

You can find the whole depth chart by clicking on a link in the article on the official site as well. Some of the things that stood out when I looked at it, even though it can and most likely WILL change, are Vakapuna penciled in as the starting FB prior to camp starting, Luigs as the 3rd string Center, and Coats getting the 3rd spot instead of Coffman. As mentioned in the article, it's just on paper right now, but that is in fact where they seem to be starting from. Yes, Andre Smith is listed as the starting RT.

Also, all thought of Vick can now officially be forgotten. Not that I viewed it as an option ever, but there it is...

BROWN: VICK NOT A FIT

A veteran and a rookie were the two semi surprises on head coach Marvin Lewis' depth chart when it was revealed Tuesday morning at the Bengals' training camp media luncheon at Paul Brown Stadium.

Also Tuesday, Bengals president Mike Brown said Mike Vick isn't a fit here because of the presence of Carson Palmer.

"Quarterbacks are like queen bees," Brown said. "Carson is the guy."

Even though they had about the same number of snaps during the spring workouts, five-time Pro Bowler Roy Williams is listed as the starting strong safety ahead of last year's incumbent Chinedum Ndukwe. Seventh-rounder Fui Vakapuna is the starting fullback and the unknown status of former starter Jeremi Johnson is underlined by his third-team position behind J.D. Runnels.

Incumbent Antonio Chatman is the punt returner and wide receiver Andre Caldwell is the kick returner with sixth-rounder Bernard Scott listed at third for both.

The only other starting rookies are Andre Smith at right tackle and Kevin Huber at punter. The unsigned Smith, projected by many as a holdout, is backed up by a second-year player that started six games at left tackle last season in Anthony Collins.

Also unsigned but expected to be at Georgetown College in Georgetown, Ky., by Friday's first practice are second-rounder Ray Maualuga and third-rounders Michael Johnson and Chase Coffman. As he was in the spring, Maualuga is backing up incumbent Rashad Jeanty at SAM linebacker. Johnson, who also played some SAM in the spring, is listed as the third right defensive end behind Antwan Odom and Frostee Rucker. Coffman is the fourth tight end behind Reggie Kelly, Ben Utecht and Daniel Coats.

At running back, veteran Kenny Watson gets the early nod in the derby to back up starter Cedric Benson and the rookies get the outside poles with Scott and Nebraska free agent Marlon Lucky listed behind Brian Leonard, DeDe Dorsey, and James Johnson.

Caldwell backs up new starter Laveranues Coles at wide receiver and Chris Henry backs up Chad Ochocinco on the opposite side with Chatman and Jerome Simpson next in line. In what is thought to be an intriguing battle, J.T. O'Sullivan is the backup quarterback with Jordan Palmer running third. David Jones and Geoff Pope are the backup cornerbacks and Marvin White joins Ndukwe as the other backup safety behind starter Chris Crocker at free.

White, coming off reconstructive knee surgery, and starting left end Robert Geathers, coming off microfracture knee surgery, are expected to be ready Friday after rehabbing all spring and not appearing in drills.

Williams, who turns 29 next month, is said to be at 221 pounds, his lightest in several years, and has impressed the coaches with coverage skills that many criticized when he signed a one-year deal back in May.

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who coached Williams to four of those Pro Bowls, said he's been impressed with Williams' commitment.

"He wants to get back to where he was," Zimmer said. "I told him that these five weeks (between mandatory minicamp and Friday) were the most important of his career."

But then again, a depth chart is only worth paper it's written on.

"Depth chart? I didn't know we had one," Zimmer said. "Who else is starting?"

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/brown-vick-not-a-fit/e5db6ad7-2eef-4ff9-a12b-428811bc87a2

Looked over the depth chart and I just wonder how does Reggie Kelly make this offense better? He can block sure but when he is in the line up does the defense have to really adjust to his presence?

Well... he's the guy until someone unseats him. Maybe he's one dimensional. Maybe even his one dimension took a step backward because of his age, but Utecht certainly didn't show he had the skill to unseat him just yet. And Coffman is a rookie with an injury. Kelly being the starter is not very surprising.

Kelly has to be the starter at this point, but this is likely to change at more than one position. This just gives an idea where the team sits at this point in time. I honestly expect Utecht to do much better this year and many people forget he had a pretty good injury early in the season that hurt him throughout. If Coffman is over his injury and can pick up the blocking game, he will make things more difficult when the coaches have to figure out who to keep off the field.

Looked over the depth chart and I just wonder how does Reggie Kelly make this offense better? He can block sure but when he is in the line up does the defense have to really adjust to his presence?

Reggie Kelly is one of the reasons why I give Brat a free pass when it comes to not including TE into the offense.

Kelly is a pretty good run blocker. Utecht is not, but has much better hands. Kelly looks good against the pass, Utecht has not.

Either way, defenses don't worry about our TE during pass plays and that makes life harder on the run game, the WRs, and most importantly Carson Palmer.

Until we have either:

1.a TE that blocks well against the run and pass, as well as being able to catch the football

OR

2.a legitimate pass catching threat out of the backfield that also keeps the YPC above 4.0,

...then the passing game will struggle and Carson will see disproportionate pressure.

Now if you want to talk about where Brat brings his "FAIL" into the Bengal equation, that comes with his personnel changes. He'll compensate by bringing in Utecht during pass situations and Kelly during the rest. Captain Obvious, himself. Defenses everywhere tremble.

As to the starting lineup announcement... always smart to name a guy the starter who is still unsigned. Makes inking that contract at your lowball price much easier.

And I really hope the Samoan at FB excels, but he hasn't even taken an NFL snap yet. Add him to the rookies/unknown list of the oline.

I mean look at the chart. If I was Palmer I would be VERY nervous. As a Bengals fan I find it annoying that year after year this is the philosophy:

"Quarterbacks are like queen bees," Brown said. "Akili, oops I mean Klingler, oops I mean Kitna, oops I mean J. Palmer, oops I mean Fitzpatrick, oops I mean Frerotte, oops I mean C. Palmer is the guy."

rather than:

"Football is won and lost in the trenches"

The trenches are going to kick the crap out of us AGAIN this year and you could see it a mile away AGAIN this year. Irritating, as a fan. Again, this year.

Hmm lets put all of our faith into the oline vs. hmm lets put all of our faith in the QB. Derr.... which one should we choose? Year after mind numbing year.

2 things make me sad to see

1.)Chatman is still 1# punt returner hopfully Cosby wins the spot or Brown as 6th WR and Scott returning punts...

2.)Chris Presley Sad to see he's only 4th string behind Jeremy....

I too am hoping Cosby pries at least the PR job away from Antonio. If Coz' is given a chance against the 1's or 2's during preseason and does well... perhaps, right? Longshot though.

Jeremi is the wildcard though isn't he? I'd love to see him show up in the best shape of his life with a chip on his shoulder. But c'mon...we know what will happen. He'll show up out of shape, then get in shape just long enough to take snaps away from Fui, then get cut.

The depth chart is far from final and is just a starting point for the coaches to start at. I really don't think Coffman will be the fourth TE (The one that is cut) and I just don't see Maluaga not beating out Jeanty. Sure he is a good player, but Rey is a guy the Bengals would have taken IMO as high as 20. If we had a playoff team last year he probably would have been our number 1 pick.

I too am hoping Cosby pries at least the PR job away from Antonio. If Coz' is given a chance against the 1's or 2's during preseason and does well... perhaps, right? Longshot though.

Well hopefully he can my fingers are crossed,Chatman was nothing special when we signed him as WR or punt returner I rather give Cosby a chance then pray chatman stays healthy

Jeremi is the wildcard though isn't he? I'd love to see him show up in the best shape of his life with a chip on his shoulder. But c'mon...we know what will happen. He'll show up out of shape, then get in shape just long enough to take snaps away from Fui, then get cut.

Even if he manages to show up with 20less lbs I still think I'd rather have Fui or Pressley unless he is truly leaps and bounds better.

Well hopefully he can my fingers are crossed,Chatman was nothing special when we signed him as WR or punt returner I rather give Cosby a chance then pray chatman stays healthy

Even if he manages to show up with 20less lbs I still think I'd rather have Fui or Pressley unless he is truly leaps and bounds better.

f**k Jeremi Johnson. He needs to go back home and eat some damn donuts and bulk up enough to become a guard. If we can get a good fullback that we don't have to worry about being fat and disgusting I say we take him. Send Jeremi to me for six weeks and I will get his fat ass in shape!

I believe that Marvin uses this to deliver all sorts of messages:

1) Jeremi - get your fat@ss in shape or your stay is < 1 week.

2) RayRay - a starter's spot is earned.

3) Luigs - prove it at guard or center.

4) Any backup RB o/t Watson - you only win a spot by taking it.

5) Last year's drafted WRs - you can be replaced.

6) Tank - don't take anything for granted.

7) Sims - that freight train you hear is Tank gunning for your spot.

8) Chinny and Williams - see 6 & 7.

9) Cofmann - prove you're more valuable to the team than Coats.

I have never seen a Bengals camp with better competition at so many spots and this depth chart just fuels the fire. The final roster cuts will be brutal and the everybody on the final roster will have eearned their spot. This is good and should be expected every year. Nothing should be taken for granted, but rather earned.

f**k Jeremi Johnson. He needs to go back home and eat some damn donuts and bulk up enough to become a guard. If we can get a good fullback that we don't have to worry about being fat and disgusting I say we take him. Send Jeremi to me for six weeks and I will get his fat ass in shape!

He's already bigger than most of our guards!

I believe that Marvin uses this to deliver all sorts of messages:

1) Jeremi - get your fat@ss in shape or your stay is < 1 week.

2) RayRay - a starter's spot is earned.

3) Luigs - prove it at guard or center.

4) Any backup RB o/t Watson - you only win a spot by taking it.

5) Last year's drafted WRs - you can be replaced.

6) Tank - don't take anything for granted.

7) Sims - that freight train you hear is Tank gunning for your spot.

8) Chinny and Williams - see 6 & 7.

9) Cofmann - prove you're more valuable to the team than Coats.

I have never seen a Bengals camp with better competition at so many spots and this depth chart just fuels the fire. The final roster cuts will be brutal and the everybody on the final roster will have eearned their spot. This is good and should be expected every year. Nothing should be taken for granted, but rather earned.

10) A Smith - We're not paying you to play left tackle so sign the d*** contract already and get into camp so you can learn your new position and hit some of those escalators built in to your deal.

10) A Smith - We're not paying you to play left tackle so sign the d*** contract already and get into camp so you can learn your new position and hit some of those escalators built in to your deal.

:| Were paying him to play tackle doesn't matter left or right he's going be slotted "shrug"

Good points all around and I agree that this depth chart is sending a message to those not on the starting line. I hope that Utecht and Coffman demonstrate that they can block effectively enough to make defenses worry both ways. I agree also that o-line is the key to the offense and the flexibility at TE. I also hope that both Leonard and Scott prove themselves to be superior to Watson with more upside and less health/age concerns.

Should be an interesting camp. Especially since we get to see some of it on Hard Knocks.

This depth chart and a nickel together are worth about five cents. It's simply a starting point to see who lines up against who in practice.