Any chance Andre Smith is signed...ever?

walzav29

HOF I agree with you that the Bengals seem to keep these players longer than what they are worth and never have a capable backup available...I may have tried to keep DOneal as the 3rd corner, but otherwise let's get younger people in there now who can play and not wait until someone is on their last legs...

I'm with you to a point, there. The problem with Delta, as was with Rudi and TJ, is that he didn't want to be here anymore. He wasn't really trying. He should've been cut before last year, too.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to further the endless debate of cutting those vets when we did, because it goes back further than that in regards to letting Steinbach walk when they did. However, in relation to the topic, the reports I've read say that Crabtree's agent "PROMISED" him he would go top 3 in the draft and since he didn't, they are still trying to get him that type of money. For Crabtree and his agent to pull this "I'll go into next years draft" sh*t, I think it's shameless. Nothing would please me more than to see Crabtree sit for as long as they can force him. He's the next version of Chad and it looks like the Browns had it right when they labeled him a diva headcase prior to the draft.

He's not affecting A. Smith getting into camp either, so f*ck him...

In all honesty, I hope they do make him sit all year. These rookies should never get as much money as they do having never played an NFL down.

If he thinks he'll be drafted higher next year after sitting out a year, he's nuts and so is his agent.

How the hell are you going to cut your starting LT before you know what you got in the draft? In March there was talk of 3 OT's going in the top 5 picks. If the Bengals cut Levi prior to the draft, they would have been forcing themselves to reach for whatever OT was available, regardless of his overall value.

If these are the kinds of risks that the average fan would take as a GM, I guess I'm going to have to start questioning my overall dissatisfaction with the way Brown runs this team.

I'm not sure whether it's your eyes or brain malfunctioning there. Did you watch Levi play? Levi Jones wasn't going to start (or probably play) under ANY circumstances. Whether they drafted a tackle or not. And you're also wrong because had they not gotten a tackle in the 1st, they would have grabbed one in the 2nd-3rd, either of which would have been better than Levi.

The only reason it would have made *any* sense to keep him would have been to actually hold him longer in the hopes that somebody's tackle went down so they could trade him to some sucker. But it was rather clear that no other team was remotely interested. The draft had no impact on Levi's future with the team. His matador impersonation was enough.

Seriously, if they didn't draft a tackle, you think Levi was starting? Did you wake up in 2005 today, or what?

Seriously, if they didn't draft a tackle, you think Levi was starting?

Fair enough. He wasn't starting... but if they don't get a tackle in the 1st round, there's no guarantee as to what OT's would be available at any point in the draft. And up until the day Levi was cut, there were a lot of people that were hoping the Bengals would keep him for depth. Perhaps you'll recall the number of injuries the O-Line has suffered in the past few years. Having an O-Line with starters like Whitworth and Collins as the starting OT's with no viable back-ups is just begging for another 4 win season.

Besides... why do you care if Levi was cut before or after the FA period? As the acting GM, what would you have done differently that would have given better odds at success for the '09 season? I'm asking since it seems so clear to you how to run the franchise while staring in the rearview mirror.

Reading Chief & Seahawk forums

Chiefs are waiting for Curry to sign

Seahawks are waiting for Jackon to sign

So if Mike Brown is waiting for Aaron Curry to sign \facepalm

Well, if this was a holding piece, let it start moving...

Brad Biggs of NFP and Nick Wright of KCSP radio in Kansas City report that the Chiefs have agreed to terms with defensive end Tyson Jackson, the third overall pick in the 2009 draft.

Per Wright, it's a five-year deal.

The development could accelerate talks between the Seahawks and linebacker Aaron Curry, the fourth overall pick. It's widely believed that Curry and the Seahawks were waiting on Jackson and the Chiefs.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/chiefs-corral-tyson-jackson/

No matter how many times I read about it.......I still can't believe Tyson Jackson was the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

Suprised the hell out of me as well, but what cracks me up are the people that claim they saw that one coming all along.

If I remember the first word that he may be taken by the Chiefs came like the day before the draft, if that.

Just goes to show how hard it is to predict what's going to happen in the draft...

I'm just happy they got him signed if it helps our situation.

Thanks to Anthony Collins, I find myself not giving two craps when Smith signs. Chalk it up to good planning or dumb luck, but for once the Bengals aren't in that position of "our first round player has to come in and have an immediate impact" that they all too often have been.

For those who do care, there's more reports out tonight that the Chiefs have signed Tyson Jackson.

/>http://arrowheadaddict.com/2009/08/06/tyson-jackson-signed/

Yeah I posted the PFT report a few posts ago. It certainly can't hurt our situation...

While we're on the subject of PFT, Deltha got a job...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/texans-dial-up-deltha-oneal/

Besides... why do you care if Levi was cut before or after the FA period? As the acting GM, what would you have done differently that would have given better odds at success for the '09 season? I'm asking since it seems so clear to you how to run the franchise while staring in the rearview mirror.

I'd probably cut him during FA to try to make a run at somebody. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I might have thought about making a run at Peters, at which point we clear Levi's money and avoid having to gamble on a goofy OT draft pick. There were a few other OL options available as well.

There just seems to be a pattern of cutting guys when it's too late to do anything with the money, and it seems to me that the better teams don't do that. You can't tell me you haven't noticed that, right?

No matter how many times I read about it.......I still can't believe Tyson Jackson was the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

true dat.

Probably the biggest surprise alongside Heyward-Bey.

The biggest suprise would belong to the Raiders 2nd round pick that many never had being drafted at all...

Seriously, if they didn't draft a tackle, you think Levi was starting?

Fair enough. He wasn't starting... but if they don't get a tackle in the 1st round, there's no guarantee as to what OT's would be available at any point in the draft. And up until the day Levi was cut, there were a lot of people that were hoping the Bengals would keep him for depth. Perhaps you'll recall the number of injuries the O-Line has suffered in the past few years. Having an O-Line with starters like Whitworth and Collins as the starting OT's with no viable back-ups is just begging for another 4 win season.

My question is Would we have wanted any of the available tackles in round 2? I think we were picking Rey at that point no matter what our positions of need were. Who could we have gotten in round 3?

Thanks to Anthony Collins, I find myself not giving two craps when Smith signs. Chalk it up to good planning or dumb luck, but for once the Bengals aren't in that position of "our first round player has to come in and have an immediate impact" that they all too often have been.

I like Anthony Collins as well, but I have the feeling when you see Andre get in against that weak ass defense of Denver you will be changing your tune. The guy is a monster and a franchise tackle. He will be day one starter and he will eat people

I like Anthony Collins as well, but I have the feeling when you see Andre get in against that weak ass defense of Denver you will be changing your tune. The guy is a monster and a franchise tackle. He will be day one starter and he will eat people

While I agree with the thought of A. Smith being a monster for us, especially in the running game, I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I read the bolded underlined text was, MIKE TYSON...

true dat.

Eh I wasn't Started calling several weeks before...Do I agree with it? not really but then again It was patriot type move :o

true dat.

Eh I wasn't Started calling several weeks before...Do I agree with it? not really but then again It was patriot type move :o

Speaking of the pats, don't you think we could have given up a late round pick for Derrick Burgess? He ran up double digit sacks twice in a 4-3. I would have loved to have this guy

I'm very high on Smith. He was the top tackle at the end of the college season for a reason and his bozo antics between then and the draft allowed the Bengals to get a player who never should have been around at 6. I think he'll be a great tackle. My point is simply that the Bengals already have a couple guys in Whit and Collins who look pretty good as well, so his holdout isn't a huge deal. I'm confident that he'll get signed sooner or later, but in the interim we can manage.

I'm very high on Smith. He was the top tackle at the end of the college season for a reason and his bozo antics between then and the draft allowed the Bengals to get a player who never should have been around at 6. I think he'll be a great tackle. My point is simply that the Bengals already have a couple guys in Whit and Collins who look pretty good as well, so his holdout isn't a huge deal. I'm confident that he'll get signed sooner or later, but in the interim we can manage.

Defiantly agree with you their, I just don't want to see that game against Denver without him starting

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/07/still-no-movement-on-andre-smith-deal/

While the first episode of Hard Knocks from HBO and NFL Films will debut in less than a week, tackle Andre Smith is no closer to joining the subjects of the show for the coming season.

The Bengals' official web site recently said that the two sides are "nowhere close" to a deal, even though Smith is on record as saying he wanted to be at camp on time.

On Thursday, a source with knowledge of the negotiations told us that there has been no movement toward getting a contract done.

We've previously outlined the Bengals' long history of holdouts. Given that "success" within the Cincinnati football organization apparently isn't determined by wins and losses but profits and losses, the franchise is willing to let a rookie miss time in training camp in the name of doing a good financial deal.

This year, the Bengals are sitting in a slot that is sandwiched between two pricey contracts. At No. 5, the Jets paid Mark Sanchez $19 million guaranteed at the time of signing and a total of $28 million guaranteed after the "log" bonus is earned. At No. 7, the Raiders gave Darrius Heyward-Bey $18.15 million guaranteed at the time of signing and $23.5 million guaranteed after the option bonus and "log" incentive.

So the floor and the ceiling as to guaranteed money is set. Smith arguably should fall in between the two. But even if the Bengals are willing to do more at No. 6 than the Raiders did at No. 7, our guess is that the offers from the team will be a lot closer to DHB's deal than Sanchez's.

Either way, history tells us that the situation is likely to persist, for a while.

Given the 300-plus-pound Andre Smith's well-publicized shirtless sprinting from earlier in the year, HBO subscribers likely are happy to hear that.

Again, to underscore what I posted last page of this thread, the pick before the Raiders and the five after the Raiders are all unsigned. It's going to be awhile.

I am with Hooiser, having Collins and Whitworth in house and ready to go takes some of the stress away. I maintained in a few other threads that it was more important to get Malaluga and Johnson in on time, and I still believe that.