Any chance Andre Smith is signed...ever?

walzav29

I'm always befuddled by our annual holdout. The 5th and the 7th picks are signed. The #2 pick is a tackle and he has signed. Here we sit, bound to have the last holdout and I just don't understand why this is so damn difficult year in and year out.

Its because Katie and Troy are so good at negotiating NFL contracts. :lol:

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to take a break from work for a few. My 5 year old son starts Pop Warner practice tomorrow and I have to go equipment shopping.

# Dre has been working out hard and is motivated to prove the doubters wrong. Maybe things will pick up now that #5 & #7 are done. Stay tuned!8:02 AM Jul 31st from web

#

We are also working on a deal for rookie A. Smith. Hard to speak on a time table with these rookie deals. Hopefully its done sooner vs later8:00 AM Jul 31st from web

#

Lets hope we can come to an agreement that will keep him in the green & white for a long time. both sides are motivated to make it happen

alvins twitter

Take this for grain of salt it is

But poster on another forum claiming to be related to Andre said problem signing atm is Browns want to wait for Curry to sign encase he takes less money then Sanchez...He also mentioned A.Smith is training in Tuscaloosa with former nfl tackle Tony Jones.

Take this for grain of salt it is

But poster on another forum claiming to be related to Andre said problem signing atm is Browns want to wait for Curry to sign encase he takes less money then Sanchez...He also mentioned A.Smith is training in Tuscaloosa with former nfl tackle Tony Jones.

Sounds like bulls**t. Even if that was Brown's reasoning... he certainly wouldn't tell A. Smith that. It's just useless speculation regardless of who it is coming from.

Well Via Hobson,Bengals don't feel rushed to signed him:|

Andre Smith-T-Bengals Aug. 4 - 1:34 am et

According to the team's website, the Bengals appear to be "nowhere near a deal" with unsigned first-round pick Andre Smith.

It figures to stay that way for the foreseeable future, even though the picks surrounding Smith (Mark Sanchez, 5th, and Darrius Heyward-Bey, 7th) have already signed. The Bengals don't look to be in a rush to get Smith in camp.

Source: bengals.com

I really wish the Bengals would just start trading their first-round picks. Sooooo sick of this song and dance every year.

Smith isn't really a need right now unless Collins goes down. Whenever he gets here, he gets here.

When Pollack had his long hold out you definitely got the feeling that Marvin felt it was an urgent problem. Even to the point that he came out with some harsh comments against Pollack and his ability to be a starter in interviews.

With A. Smith, I don't sense any of that urgency. A. Smith is the starting RT on the depth chart, Marvin says he'll still have that opportunity, and it's the Bengals not Smith who appear to not be moving quickly. I don't know why they lack the urgency to get him into camp - but if they aren't concerned, I guess neither am I.

They always act like it doesn't matter, but Carson got his brains kicked in last year. It is for leverage sake that they are acting like they don't care. They do. Especially now that Kelly is out.

If it was for leverage, Marvin would be talking about how his holdout will effect his ability to play this season. That's what he did with Pollack and Perry. Zimmer came out last year and said the time Rivers was missing was critical to his playing time.

Nothing like that has been uttered. In fact, Marvin has basically said that the starting job will be waiting for Smith when he gets there. They've been very laissez faire about the whole thing. I just wonder why.

They always act like it doesn't matter, but Carson got his brains kicked in last year. It is for leverage sake that they are acting like they don't care. They do. Especially now that Kelly is out.

If it was for leverage, Marvin would be talking about how his holdout will effect his ability to play this season. That's what he did with Pollack and Perry. Zimmer came out last year and said the time Rivers was missing was critical to his playing time.

Nothing like that has been uttered. In fact, Marvin has basically said that the starting job will be waiting for Smith when he gets there. They've been very laissez faire about the whole thing. I just wonder why.

Havent heard that term used for awhile, memories flood back of HS government class. Now all I want to do is skip class and burn one.

I think that they're perfectly happy to have Collins start if Smith doesn't make it on time. I know after seeing him play last year, I don't have any problems with him starting.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Smith in camp as soon as possible, but I'm also not overwhelmingly concerned by his absence at this point either.

I've always been comfortable with the thought of Collins holding it down until the deal gets done. I do think it's silly though...

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Smith in camp as soon as possible, but I'm also not overwhelmingly concerned by his absence at this point either.

I've always been comfortable with the thought of Collins holding it down until the deal gets done. I do think it's silly though...

I too think it's silly. I don't know where the holdup is, but I can't help but think back to the agent switch. Whether it is now Keels' fault this is slowing down, or if it's the Bengals sandbagging because Alexander didn't like Smith switching, or whatever.

Just get it done.

I've finally learned that there is nothing here that ever makes sense, from either the player's or team's perspective, and, as such, put them both on mental "ignore" until they do what is inevtable and sign the contract.

Pure speculation based upon....nothing, but I'm guessing Lewis has seen enough of Andre Smith to feel very comfortable with his skill level, has already determined he's better thgan any other OL on the roster, but has never been thrilled with the idea of him starting from day one. And yes, having Collins, a player who should be far nore ready to play on opening day, allows Lewis to indulge the option of easing Smith into the lineup rather than rushing his developement.

Or maybe Marvin simply saw this coming several months ago and knows the less he says about things now....the less he'll have to say later.

Pure speculation based upon....nothing

Yep. It is nothing. And that's what makes it seem strange to me. With past holdouts the coaching staff has been very vocal about their displeasure with the situation. This season... nothing. And that nothing is what my speculation is based on... so we're agreed.

With past holdouts the coaching staff has been very vocal about their displeasure with the situation. This season... nothing.

Yeah, but let's be honest about the above. Whenever any member of the Bengals coaching staff has voiced it's displeasure over a player holdout the criticism has been directed at the players agent (Steinberg, Steiner, etc) or in rare examples the players themselves (Akili, Rivers, etc.) for refusing to end holdouts even though the two sides are said to be close. But regardless, in both types of examples I'd say it's simply too early for Lewis to find fault with the negotiations....nor can he claim the players developement is at risk due to the missed playing time.

Because right now it's no big deal yet, right?

Frankly, if I were Marvin Lewis I wouldn't offer any unprompted statements about Smith. In fact, I think I'd keep my mouth shut for as long as the local press would allow it.

Frankly, if I were Marvin Lewis I wouldn't offer any unprompted statements about Smith. In fact, I think I'd keep my mouth shut for as long as the local press would allow it.

Fair enough. I will say that it is odd that they appear to be far apart when picks #5 and #7 are done... and Hobson says the Bengals don't appear to be in any type of hurry. We don't really have any information more than that. It just seems strange to me is all. Why not work your ass off to get him signed? The slotting should at least give the 2 sides a ballpark figure to work with. What good can come from taking your time?

Fair enough. I will say that it is odd that they appear to be far apart when picks #5 and #7 are done... and Hobson says the Bengals don't appear to be in any type of hurry. We don't really have any information more than that. It just seems strange to me is all. Why not work your ass off to get him signed? The slotting should at least give the 2 sides a ballpark figure to work with. What good can come from taking your time?

Incase Curry takes less money then Sanchez because it's a QB deal? I just hope they don't wait for Monroe to Sign o_O because I could jaguars waiting for Andre to sign.....