Any chance Andre Smith is signed...ever?

walzav29

Interesting that this writer from Sports Illustrated agrees with how the Bengals are handling Andre Smith

Warning: I am about to agree with the Cincinnati Bengals. Well, kind of.

The Bengals don't want to pay first-round pick Andre Smith what he is arguably entitled to as the sixth overall pick of the 2009 draft, and though it pains me to write this, I really don't blame them. Not a bit.

For one thing, their offensive line is actually looking pretty good, a very welcome sign after a four-year span in which the Bengals went from having one of the best offensive lines in the league in 2005 to one of the worst in 2008. The Bengals starting line has no true superstars or players making an exorbitant salary, relatively speaking of course. The entire unit has taken on the personality of center Kyle Cook and left guard Nate Livings, a couple of undrafted free agents who surely will increase their notoriety if they keep showing the physicality they displayed in training camp. Even established veterans like left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Bobbie Williams appear to have bought in. Why sign Smith to a mega-deal worth about $25 million guaranteed and potentially upset the apple cart or harmony among the offensive line?

The fact that Anthony Collins can man the right tackle position that Smith was slated to occupy is even more reason to refuse to back up the Brinks truck to Smith's house. Yes, Smith is a rare run blocker and the Bengals picked him for a reason, but it is highly unlikely he would be any better than Collins this season. Collins is a solid pass protector and an improving run blocker on the right side while Smith is, well, waiting. And since Smith is making the transition from left tackle at Alabama to right tackle in the NFL, we don't really know what type of player he is yet.

If I were running the Bengals and knew I would be unwilling to pay Smith something in between what the 5th and 7th overall selections in the draft were going to receive, I wouldn't have taken him in the first place. I would have found a way to either trade the pick or simply passed until later in the first round. Either that or drafted a player I thought would represent enough of an upgrade that I deemed him worthy of number six overall money.

That said, I don't fault agent Alvin Keels or Smith for trying to get a contract that adequately reflects Smith's draft status. Keels recently tweeted that in the eyes of Bengals owner Mike Brown the "ship has sailed" on the slotting system for NFL draft pick compensation. But now that the Bengals have gotten into this predicament, I think they should consider trading Smith's rights or letting him re-enter the draft pool next season. It may not be the best idea for building a perennial contender, but there is a good chance it is

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ross_tucker/08/28/mail/index.html?eref=sihp

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that this writer from Sports Illustrated agrees with how the Bengals are handling Andre Smith

The next to last paragraph is all you need to know, and really sums up the Bengals' stupidity on the matter. Don't draft a player you decide you don't need.

Not to mention which, I don't know of anyone who's been half as enthused with the Bengals' O-line as that article dictates. And that assumes we're only talking about starters - you start looking at their backups and things get very scary indeed.

For Chrissakes, pay the man.

The next to last paragraph is all you need to know, and really sums up the Bengals' stupidity on the matter. Don't draft a player you decide you don't need.

We do need him because he does improves the position,we apparently don't need him enough that mike is willing to give him a fair offer.

I'd say that's proof of the writers stupidity, not the Bengals. Because I've seen absolutely no sign the Bengals don't still want AND need Andre Smith.

Who said they decided they didn't need him? It appears they've just decided that their need isn't so great that they're going to give him truckloads of money he hasn't earned yet.

Who said they decided they didn't need him? It appears they've just decided that their need isn't so great that they're going to give him truckloads of money he hasn't earned yet.

Right. Instead, Mike Brown should just keep all that extra money he has done so much to earn over the years.

Oh, wait...:huh:

Right. Instead, Mike Brown should just keep all that extra money he has done so much to earn over the years.

Oh, wait... :huh:

So if you were running this franchise, you'd just throw money at any player that asks for it? I think not. None of the teams at the top of the league do either. Over paying players is not going to get us a winning team. Good coaching and good drafting will.

PS. Hoosier, did you give GHD your password? That sounds exactly like one of his posts...

So if you were running this franchise, you'd just throw money at any player that asks for it?

I'm not running the team, Mikey is. And if Smith doesn't deserve the money because he hasn't done anything, what has Mike Brown to deserve it?

So if you were running this franchise, you'd just throw money at any player that asks for it?

I'm not running the team, Mikey is. And if Smith doesn't deserve the money because he hasn't done anything, what has Mike Brown to deserve it?

Nice dodge.

BTW, I never said Mikey deserved it.