Any chance Andre Smith is signed...ever?

walzav29

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there is always a chance Smith will be on time.

But there are just too many factors this year working against getting the 1st Rounders in on time for all 32 teams, not just the Bengals. Can you imagine Mike Brown in an uncapped year? (shudder)

It actually would not surprise me to see a number of 2nd Round draft picks unsigned on Opening Day. This season could be a strange one in that regard.

Smith we know is in for a long holdout, but Rey seems like a guy who wants to get started as soon as possible. It isn't about the player at this point, though. It is about the agent, the money, who gets slotted where and for how much, and which teams/agents want to get the ball rolling first.

That being said, the Bengals NEVER get the ball rolling first, and the Bengals pick high, so all we can do is hope most of the other teams get their picks slotted and signed quickly. This season, I do not see that as being a very likely scenario. The real question is, how long will Rey's holdout be?

Tough love answer, but that's why I am so popular around here. :)

Groundhog day:

You were doing so well with that post, until the last sentence.

I agree with everything you have there. But, please, drop the "tough love" bulls**t. Please. Again, there are absolutely zero people on this board who need to be instructed that the Bengals have a long and proud history of incompetence. We get that. We all know it. We're fans anyway. Assuming you are a legit fan too, then no need to be the self-appointed minister of truth.

I too am pretty comfortable with the concept that he will miss the first week. If he misses longer than we will likely have Collins manning the right side of the line for the season and I am not too fussed about that given the way he played at the end of last season.

Agree that there is always hope, agree that Collins is an able replacement until he gets in, and agree that Maualuga may not even be in camp on time seeing as how Coffman and Johnson still need to get their deals done as well. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm not as concerned about the holdouts of either of our top two picks, because of #1 Collins, and #2 Rey may not even be starting this year. It's not to say that they don't need to get in their and learn the plays and compete, but I'm just not as concerned. It will happen and when it does, everyone will be happy about it and move on to how they are going to impact the team once they get going.

None of the agents have the rocks to negotiate a deal until they're slotted, so there's a whole lot of sitting around waiting for somebody to blink. PFT thinks that things will be a bit worse this year since these deals are effectively the advertising for the 2010 class, which is the final one under this CBA.

Add to that the factors we've already discussed (QB deal at #5, mismatch in terms of years, ridiculous Gholston contract, agent swapping) and it doesn't look good for Smith.

I've been predicting first week of September for a while. My only hope is that Smith tells his agent to get it done or else. Either that or Jason Smith and Monroe get signed ASAP.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2009/07/26/camp_countdown_cincinnati_beng.html

"According to sources with knowledge of negotiations, Bengals second round draft choice linebacker Rey Maualuga could be signed as early as Monday, Tuesday at the latest. The same can be said for third round pick tight end Chase Coffman"

sounds like MJ and andre are still far away, while rey and coffman are seemingly close to signing (today or tomorrow).

i still think the underappreciated jeanty starts over rey this season, but it certainly won't hurt him being in on time getting reps.

like someone else said, i'm not concerned with andre smith's holdout. i like collins and whit on the outside. maybe a holdout puts andre too far behind and they groom him as LT, putting whit back at LG and collins at RT? wishful thinking..

I happen to think Jeanty is way over-rated, rather than being under-appreciated, and am rooting like hell for Malaluga to get in on time and take the position. Jeanty in a back-up or supporting role makes some sense to me.

I happen to think Jeanty is way over-rated, rather than being under-appreciated, and am rooting like hell for Malaluga to get in on time and take the position. Jeanty in a back-up or supporting role makes some sense to me.

Jeanty is pretty solid against the run. They say he's known as a good hitter on the dot com, but I've never seen anything like that. He is a good tackler, though. I can't say how he does in pass coverage, though, cause I haven't really seen him drop back that much.

On .com their saying Maualuga will be signed by tuesday,As for Jeanty his strength is the run doesn't add much in passrush so may as well go with maualuga and start getting him game experience since his strength is also the run and may and when it comes to rushing the passer.

PS,I hope Michael Johnson isn't late he has the most on his plate when it comes learning.

I agree with everything you have there. But, please, drop the "tough love" bulls**t.

He can't. All of the so-called revolutionaries at WDR are compelled to attack everything Bengal related due to their belief that this is the only way the franchise can be saved. Thus, guys like MamaBear demonstrate what great fans they are by deliberately douching it up at every opportunity.

Again, there are absolutely zero people on this board who need to be instructed that the Bengals have a long and proud history of incompetence. We get that. We all know it. We're fans anyway.

And thus, because off your reluctant acceptance of the status quo you're part of the problem.....according to the WhoDeyRevolution group-think. So revolutionaries like MamaBear have concluded it's their duty as a Bengal fan to piss in the morning coffee of other less enlightened Bengal fans. And that they do at every given opportunity.

You really should be more thankful.

Add to that the factors we've already discussed (QB deal at #5, mismatch in terms of years, ridiculous Gholston contract, agent swapping) and it doesn't look good for Smith.

John Clayton claimed this weekend that there's actually a betting pool at ESPN based upon a 35-Day over/under. Oddly enough he didn't blame the Bengals for the situation....pointing instead to Gholston's ridiculous deal, the Sanchez trade that dumped a QB salary into the mix, and the very high probabilty of Jacksonville's draft pick being at least a month long holdout.

Personally, I'd take the under. :sure:

You know, I get the whole concern for an Andre Smith holdout, but I don't get why the Bengals are the ones taking all the sh*t over this concern.

As of this time, only 4 first round picks have signed. Hell, even some teams have started camp without their #1 pick (Ravens). I mean really, cut the Bengals and Smith some slack already. I did see where Jason Smith's agent (first OT taken) and Heyward-Bey's agent (the #7 pick) are from the same company as well, so maybe they can get things started in the best interest of themselves and get our slotting going a little quicker. There's always hoping at least...

You know, I get the whole concern for an Andre Smith holdout, but I don't get why the Bengals are the ones taking all the sh*t over this concern.

Agreed there. The point of concern is that with the understanding that this will be a particularly late year for signings, coupled with the fact that the Bengals are not typically front runners in getting them into camp regardless of the year, this one might just be a rough Bengal year for getting Smith and possibly even Rey into camp.

As of this time, only 4 first round picks have signed. Hell, even some teams have started camp without their #1 pick (Ravens).

"Man that Ozzie Newsome guy sure does stink. I'd hate to have a guy like that running football ops for us. I mean, he just let that Center go, what's his name? Well, at least they are my second favorite team."

I mean really, cut the Bengals and Smith some slack already. I did see where Jason Smith's agent (first OT taken) and Heyward-Bey's agent (the #7 pick) are from the same company as well, so maybe they can get things started in the best interest of themselves and get our slotting going a little quicker. There's always hoping at least...

There is indeed always hope. Its when the hope bleeds into delusion that questions will be raised by anyone even remotely paying attention who is not straight on AutoPilotFan/AutoRenew.

While there is no denying the Bengals have had some difficulty in the past with getting draft picks into camp, I would argue that there will be more teams than the Bengals with this problem and some with MORE problems than us. I bet those other teams won't take as much sh*t over it as well. I also would bet how they won't take into consideration that the Bengals have adequate fill ins until they do get both A. Smith and Maualuga in camp (assuming that's the case).

I can't remember who was on the side of Newsome honestly, but my point there was the Ravens DIDN'T get their first round pick signed before the start of camp. Anyway around, I think that will be the case with the majority of this years first rounders, so none of that should be suprising at this point, nor an indicator of how good or bad said teams front office may or may not be. It's just a sh*tty situation and having guys like Crabtree's agent who is trying to get some crazy stupid money at the #10 spot isn't helping anyone.

Can we raise questions as to why something is going on with them team ?? Sure we can, but we don't have any control over what happens outside of not buying tickets and I would suggest the fans have already shown to Mike Brown their displeasure in the fact tickets can still be had at this point in time. I went on for years about how the team needed to address the fact they were getting blasted in the running game and how the d-line sucked, but what could I really do about it ?? I hoped they would do something and when they didn't, I would just hope for the best and root for the team to pull it together.

Well, there's Maualuga, so this just strengthens my point about the Bengals not getting credit for taking care of the picks this year.

They had a buttload of picks and are doing pretty well from my standpoint. Somehow that still won't be enough and will more than likely get bashed regardless of what they've done to this point, which is far more than most teams that had less picks in the draft.

I agree with everything you have there. But, please, drop the "tough love" bulls**t.

He can't. All of the so-called revolutionaries at WDR are compelled to attack everything Bengal related due to their belief that this is the only way the franchise can be saved. Thus, guys like MamaBear demonstrate what great fans they are by deliberately douching it up at every opportunity.

Again, there are absolutely zero people on this board who need to be instructed that the Bengals have a long and proud history of incompetence. We get that. We all know it. We're fans anyway.

And thus, because off your reluctant acceptance of the status quo you're part of the problem.....according to the WhoDeyRevolution group-think. So revolutionaries like MamaBear have concluded it's their duty as a Bengal fan to piss in the morning coffee of other less enlightened Bengal fans. And that they do at every given opportunity.

You really should be more thankful.

Noted, hair. I will put that on my "to do" list.

"...this one might just be a rough Bengal year for getting Smith and possibly even Rey into camp." --- MamaBear

Rey too, huh?

Bottom Line: Another worthless prediction that wouldn't have been uttered if you weren't so relentlessly negative and douche-minded.

I'm still waiting for one of his vaunted predictions to actually come true.

You know looking at the profiles of first string Oline, they look pretty normal but our second string looks like the cast of Basket Case. My god! Collins, Koostra, Santucci, Mathis, and Roland are some ugly som-bitches. I would paste their photos here but 1) I have never been able to post photos on this site (due to a user ID-10-T problem) and 2) I am worried that storing those photos might actually break my computer. Heck Koostra might be able to just straight out scare Defensive Players back into the locker room!