Bengals considered a top candidate to pursue Vick

icehole3

What about the Redeemer's mold?

Yeah, that kind of scares me a little bit that Mikey will want to redeem him, but Mikey only seems to give second chances to those he drafted. I know we went and signed Ced and Tank, but they really haven't done anything wrong since being signed and we don't know what Mikey would do if they were arrested again.

I'm guessing were a top candidate cause we have a history of signing/drafting players with a criminal record (Hahahah <_< ).... I really don't think we'll sign him.

yeah, i don't see anything that would suggest we'd sign him except that. weak claim.

I would be very surprised if the Bengals went for Vick.

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I would bet that even after all that time off he is still better than J.T. or Jordan.

The way Brat doesn't have a clue as to how to short-term adjust a playbook to individual strengths/weaknesses, it would be worth the price of admission though to see Vick run around in the tiny phonebooth that is Brat's Carson-tailored offense.

Would Vick have been better than Fitzpatrick?

Someone will give Vick a shot. If the Bengals did, I would be pleasantly surprised.

They won't, would Vick be happy knowing he'll always be a back-up as long as Palmer is healthy here? He's still too valuable, he'll go somewhere where he can earn a big contract again as a starter, earned or not. It won't be here.

That's pretty much the way I see it. Vick won't sign with anyone without a clear shot at landing the starting job, and with Cincinnati, that isn't the case.

Actually, I think that any QB that signs with the Bengals has a pretty damn good chance of ending up the starter, given that our current starting QB is a walking season-ending injury.

I would be very surprised if the Bengals went for Vick.

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I would bet that even after all that time off he is still better than J.T. or Jordan.

The way Brat doesn't have a clue as to how to short-term adjust a playbook to individual strengths/weaknesses, it would be worth the price of admission though to see Vick run around in the tiny phonebooth that is Brat's Carson-tailored offense.

Would Vick have been better than Fitzpatrick?

Someone will give Vick a shot. If the Bengals did, I would be pleasantly surprised.

They won't, would Vick be happy knowing he'll always be a back-up as long as Palmer is healthy here? He's still too valuable, he'll go somewhere where he can earn a big contract again as a starter, earned or not. It won't be here.

That's pretty much the way I see it. Vick won't sign with anyone without a clear shot at landing the starting job, and with Cincinnati, that isn't the case.

Actually, I think that any QB that signs with the Bengals has a pretty damn good chance of ending up the starter, given that our current starting QB is a walking season-ending injury.

Last I checked Carson Palmer is in fine shape. The upcoming season hinges on the offensive line being able to keep him that way.

I know we went and signed Ced and Tank, but they really haven't done anything wrong since being signed and we don't know what Mikey would do if they were arrested again.

Well, yeah, but that analysis would apply to Vick if we signed him too. On day 1, he wouldn't have done anything wrong since being signed. And we wouldn't have to worry what Mikey would do if Vick the Bengal got arrested, because Goddell would do it for him.

Here's the thing - I don't think Vick is one of the best 20 starting QBs in the league. But I think he'd be one of the top-10 backups, probably.

Regarding the character thing - I definitely think it's terrible what he's done. But as pointed out ad nauseum, Leonard Little is is still in the league. So are a ton of guys who have hit their women. And the anti-Vick PR machine does seem a little overblown given all that.

So I'll play a little Devil's Advocate here. What we have is an offensive line of unknown quality. We have a starting QB who was advised by at least one doctor to have Tommy John surgery, opting instead to let it heal. Looks like it has, but I wouldn't exactly bet the farm on his elbow right now. We also probably have a good defense, so it would be a shame to waste the season if things go bad with Carson.

I think Vick would be good insurance for both the line and the elbow. If the line's bad, getting creative with a guy of Vick's talent would help slow down the defense from beating Carson to death if they were both out there at the same time. And if Carson goes down, we need better than JT O'Sullivan - I'd just as soon have a guy you can plug right in with a very simple playbook and let him make plays. Not like he reads the playbook anyway.

Regarding the locker room - I guarantee Vick will be on his best behavior. He'll have Segal, Dungy, and half the league office taking care of him. I don't think the disruption angle will be as bad as claimed.

Originally I thought at least two teams would bid against each other, and he'd get a deal too rich for a 30-year-old with good legs but no brain. With every team lining up to get away from him, he might be available for a steal - though I think at least one team is playing coy in that regard. If he can be had cheap, though, I think a credible case could be made that this wouldn't be a bad signing, as a one-year insurance policy.

There you go, flame away!

I know we went and signed Ced and Tank, but they really haven't done anything wrong since being signed and we don't know what Mikey would do if they were arrested again.

Well, yeah, but that analysis would apply to Vick if we signed him too. On day 1, he wouldn't have done anything wrong since being signed. And we wouldn't have to worry what Mikey would do if Vick the Bengal got arrested, because Goddell would do it for him.

Here's the thing - I don't think Vick is one of the best 20 starting QBs in the league. But I think he'd be one of the top-10 backups, probably.

Regarding the character thing - I definitely think it's terrible what he's done. But as pointed out ad nauseum, Leonard Little is is still in the league. So are a ton of guys who have hit their women. And the anti-Vick PR machine does seem a little overblown given all that.

So I'll play a little Devil's Advocate here. What we have is an offensive line of unknown quality. We have a starting QB who was advised by at least one doctor to have Tommy John surgery, opting instead to let it heal. Looks like it has, but I wouldn't exactly bet the farm on his elbow right now. We also probably have a good defense, so it would be a shame to waste the season if things go bad with Carson.

I think Vick would be good insurance for both the line and the elbow. If the line's bad, getting creative with a guy of Vick's talent would help slow down the defense from beating Carson to death if they were both out there at the same time. And if Carson goes down, we need better than JT O'Sullivan - I'd just as soon have a guy you can plug right in with a very simple playbook and let him make plays. Not like he reads the playbook anyway.

Regarding the locker room - I guarantee Vick will be on his best behavior. He'll have Segal, Dungy, and half the league office taking care of him. I don't think the disruption angle will be as bad as claimed.

Originally I thought at least two teams would bid against each other, and he'd get a deal too rich for a 30-year-old with good legs but no brain. With every team lining up to get away from him, he might be available for a steal - though I think at least one team is playing coy in that regard. If he can be had cheap, though, I think a credible case could be made that this wouldn't be a bad signing, as a one-year insurance policy.

There you go, flame away!

I agree Vick could help this team if Carson went down, but I just don't know if any team will sign him. I understand why this has been such a huge story in the media, I mean the guy ran a dog fighting operation and kill dogs for the better of 6 years straight. As you pointed out, though, Leonard Little is still in the league. Donte Stallworth probably won't get 2 1/2 years out of the league either. I don't understand why neither the Little case or the Stallworth case haven't garnered the same amount of attention that the Vick case has. It seems to me that killing humans is (if not more so) just as despicable as killing dogs.