Tight Ends

ArmyBengal

It probably won't happen this coming season, but in 2010, I have a feeling we will be seeing quite a few plays running two-tightend sets. With two receiving threats at tight end, you can take advantage of the bigger, slower outside linebackers you face against in the 3-4.

When considering the strengths of this offense most would probabaly agree that the Bengals best and deepest position is WR. After that it's probabaly TE. And despite the work they did to address it, the FB position is unproven at best.

All that to say, I expect a high dose of single back packages... either with 2 TE's or 3 WR's. If the key to success is having your best players on the field, then the FB probably shouldn't get a ton of action outside of goalline plays and other obvious running down situations. I'm sure these TE's will see the field with some regularity.

One of the things I'm looking forward to about Coffman is seeing if the Bengals will eventually utilize him as the TE in 3WR sets. In '05 the Bengals did their most damage out of that package. Coffman could make it a virtual 4 WR set without Brat having to change up the playbook all that much. And with Chad, Coles, and Henry as the WR's you know someone will be open (assuming Carson has 3 seconds before a sack).

Good point Derek. And, for those of us old enough to remember back, part of Rodney Holman's effectiveness was as the TE in a 3-receiver set for the 1988 team. Holman had some wonderful years as the "forgotten" checkdown option for Boomer. I think Coffman can be that if used right. At the least, I think he's an immediate redzone upgrade for the team. I was as excited by Coffman's selection as most of this board was for Malaluga.

I loved the Coffman pick in the sense of what he brings to the offense as a BIG pass catcher. Yes he needs to work on being an all around TE, but I'll take what we've got to this point. I mean he is a rookie and all. Outside of all that, the other thing that can't be ignored is Carson's admission that he hasn't used his checkdowns to the TE as much as he should. If he calms down back there and has some time, it would be hard to miss a guy the size of Coffman. I'm hopeful things will improve in this part of the game.

I loved the Coffman pick in the sense of what he brings to the offense as a BIG pass catcher. Yes he needs to work on being an all around TE, but I'll take what we've got to this point. I mean he is a rookie and all. Outside of all that, the other thing that can't be ignored is Carson's admission that he hasn't used his checkdowns to the TE as much as he should. If he calms down back there and has some time, it would be hard to miss a guy the size of Coffman. I'm hopeful things will improve in this part of the game.

I wonder how much of Carson not checking down is a trust issue. Would you be excited about checking down to a player with merely adequate hands and virtually no YAC ability? That's pretty much what he's had to work with his entire career. He got virtually no time with Utecht (and when he did was underwhelming), and Kelly is what he is, for better or worse.

I'd wager that if Palmer played with Tony Gonzo or Gates that he'd not be guilty of failing to check down. If Coffman gives Palmer reason to trust him, my bet us that he'll be more than happy to check down to him.

Carson should be happy with the pass catching ability of both Coffman and Utecht...

Yep... And a good pass catching TE is a QB's best friend. How many times have we heard about the league's better TE's being a "security blanket" for a young QB? Well, Carson didn't have that as he was learning... but he may have it now. If the O-Line can keep him upright, his stats might get cartoonish again with so many pass catching weapons. It's a shame there is only one ball.

Didn't kellys blocking drop off last season? if he isn't pulling his weight when blocking could see him getting the axe.

That's sort of my read on it, too. I remember some pretty big whiffs on Kelly's part last year -- he did his part on the turnstile crew. In the past he was a huge asset, but if he's lost his blocking ability, he could have a tough time sticking w/ the team.

I will say, when Reggie was on his game, his blocking skills were rare and I haven't seen anything close (yet) from anyone else on the roster.

Didn't kellys blocking drop off last season? if he isn't pulling his weight when blocking could see him getting the axe.

That's sort of my read on it, too. I remember some pretty big whiffs on Kelly's part last year -- he did his part on the turnstile crew. In the past he was a huge asset, but if he's lost his blocking ability, he could have a tough time sticking w/ the team.

I will say, when Reggie was on his game, his blocking skills were rare and I haven't seen anything close (yet) from anyone else on the roster.

This.

Personally I don't see Utecth as a blocking TE capable of assuming Kelly's blocking role. Rather, I see Utecth as a traditional move or motion TE cut from the very same cloth as Coffman. In fact, had Utecth managed to do anything last season, and I'm talking anything at all, I doubt the Bengals would have seriously considered drafting Coffman.

• Like 1

Personally I don't see Utecth as a blocking TE capable of assuming Kelly's blocking role. Rather, I see Utecth as a traditional move or motion TE cut from the very same cloth as Coffman. In fact, had Utecth managed to do anything last season, and I'm talking anything at all, I doubt the Bengals would have seriously considered drafting Coffman.

Agreed - it was a relative surprise to me when Coffman was drafted because, as you say, he seems too much like Utecht. My only explanation is that he was seen as a "value" pick at that spot. I suppose one man's "value" pick could be another man's "luxury" pick (not trying to incite the whole WR thing from last year....really), but it certainly begs the question now about whether there's any room for Kelly now. No way they can cut a 3rd rounder or their primary FA acquisition from last year. So, it would seem that they've pretty much left with interchangeable TE's suggesting that the 2 TE set will be more common. All in all, this may have been the long range plan knowing that Reggie's getting on in years.

I dont see Utecht as a replacement for Kelly, but he is capable of blocking better than most receiving TE's. He is as close to an all-around Te as the Bengals currently have. Coffman may become a better blocker in time, but right now if Kelly is released Utecht will assume the blocking TE role, good or bad.

I like Kelly, but he is old and a one trick pony, maybe they can get better all around production from the younger guys.

I dont see Utecht as a replacement for Kelly, but he is capable of blocking better than most receiving TE's. He is as close to an all-around Te as the Bengals currently have. Coffman may become a better blocker in time, but right now if Kelly is released Utecht will assume the blocking TE role, good or bad.

I like Kelly, but he is old and a one trick pony, maybe they can get better all around production from the younger guys.

I just want to see them get to a point where which TE is in the game tells the defense what we are running on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully Coffman becomes that TE which I think they have been wanting for some time.

I just want to see them get to a point where which TE is in the game tells the defense what we are running on the offensive side of the ball.

Hopefully Coffman becomes that TE which I think they have been wanting for some time.

Really? You want the TE selection to telegraph whether it's a run or pass? Isn't that pretty much what we've had.

Really? You want the TE selection to telegraph whether it's a run or pass? Isn't that pretty much what we've had.

Oops, I meant ISN'T telling the defense. Agree, that's what we've had. Slip of the keys there. My bad...