My projections on Palmer

gregstephens

Perhaps you [bearcat] weren't watching at all last year, but did you see how much better the line played at the end of the year with Livings and Collins in there? Methinks not, otherwise you wouldn't be spouting such ignorance.

This.

It's sorta funny how Bearcat continues to whine about the NUMBER of replacement starters the Bengals will turn to this season....because Bearcat has repeatedly admitted his biggest complaint about this offseason is allowing FA center Jason Brown to sign elsewhere. So when you get right down to it Beracats barking about the number of replacements is just empty noise. He's still bitching and moaning about the same thing he was bitching about months ago....and as a result he's not about to wait a moment or two to pass judgement on Cook.

As for Palmer and the projections, we're all plugging in the same numbers more or less....so all I'll add is this. Carson Palmer's vow to dump the ball off to his checkdown options quicker than in the past holds the key to this O-lines success, and Palmers own health.

It would be nice to see him stop pushing the ball into the WR's hands even when they are covered, while a RB or TE runs open underneath the coverage.

He has gotten better at taking what is there every season and I hope he has finally realized that he is not the only person that can win the game, just the most likely.

Sign Smith on time and ready for camp.

That's not all on the Bengals. They shouldn't just give him whatever he wants just to get him here on time. That's on both parties.

Give Palmer and Benson a line to work with.

As discussed earlier in this thread, the line is going in the right direction. We won't know how that turns out until the season starts, but I'm somewhat opitmistic.

Go get that 1st tier free agent instead of hand wringing and 2nd tier castoffs.

Again, they won't and shouldn't throw money around like the Redskins and Cowboys just to get that one player at the top of the market. That hasn't worked for those teams anyway. They seem to be following (kind of) the Steelers and Ravens formula and that's building through the draft. When they start drafting better (and I don't think they've done too bad the last couple of years) then this strategy will work out.

Quit playing "not to lose" and start playing to win.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that they should be more aggressive with their playcalling or what?

Learn some clock management.

I haven't notice THAT big of a problem with that, but there have been some instances.

Get a GM.

This is a whole separate thread and it will probably never happen.

Hire more scouts, quit taxing the coaches.

I don't know if the coaches are just showing a united front on this one or what, but when asked about it they tend to prefer that they do their own scouting. But I agree that they should hire some more scouts.

Spend to the cap, extend a contract or two, whatever.... ANYTHING instead of just pocketing the excess money.

They have spent right up to the cap for the last four or five years. I don't know where you get the idea that they're underpaying everyone and then keeping the change.

etc etc etc

Blah blah blah.

I would love for the Bengals to prove me wrong, just once.

It sure doesn't seem like it. You seem to enjoy shooting down everyone's optimism here.

I would love for the Bengals to prove me wrong, just once.
It sure doesn't seem like it. You seem to enjoy shooting down everyone's optimism here.

that is dead nuts on . . . i wonder what will happen to bc when the bengals start winning?

edit: i'm still not a master at quoting sorry for the eye sore

Edited by Bengalszone Billy
fixed quote

The annual lack of addressing the glaring issues on the oline

they can't do more than draft an o-lineman in the first round...

:drunk: You're right, what was I thinking. Its the Bengals we're talking about here.

I mean they drafted an olinemen in the 1st round. What more can they be expected to do? :lol:

What else do expect for line improvement in this season?

-Sign Jason Brown? The only team felt he was worth the money he got the same people who took laurinaitis over maualuga because of character concerns...

-Draft Max Unger in the 2nd instead of Maualuga? Then have the same questions at center about how unger lacks experience & isn't strong enough for the north?

-Take a guard in the 3rd? We should have just ignored our defense because it was good enough last year o_O

Three problems with this scenario:

Steve Spagnuolo runs a very disciplined defense and Laurinaitis fits into that mold much more than Maualuga does. Besides character concerns Laurinitis didn't have any concerns about being a three down linebacker like Rey Rey.

This falls into my second point: I would much rather have Maugluga and Luigs than to have Unger (Who is more a zone blocking center) and Stanley Arnoux (The next ILB taken after Luigs). Magulaga fills a huge need on this team and that is an impact defensive player and a face of our defense. Unger may be to small and weak to play in the AFC North and I fear that he is just a more polished turd than Guycheck was.

Third and most important.....Why the hell would we ignore our defense??? The steelers had a pretty damn good defense last year and I am pretty sure they dropped a first rounder on defense. That is how good teams stay good, they fill holes before they become apparent. When you have a potential first round talent at a position of need sitting there in the third round you can't pass on them. I know he is inconsistent which is why he slid, but if the coaches pull his head out of his ass then he could be one of the biggest steals in Bengals draft history.

Overall, I think the one thing we could have done different this off season was to sign Jason Brown. I would however, rather go with Luigs and Cook and have Coles than to go with our Receivers without Coles and have Brown. A lot of times big money Centers that change teams end up being busts. Can anyone name a big money center that signed with another team in FA and actually maintained that same level of skill? I know Damien Woody and LeCharles had some serious issues with this.

I stand by the comments that I made two months ago. The BENGALS had a perfect draft and they did everything they could to improve their team through the draft. There are a couple of question marks, but every team in the NFL has question marks. If those few pieces fall into place this could be a special season!

Perhaps you [bearcat] weren't watching at all last year, but did you see how much better the line played at the end of the year with Livings and Collins in there? Methinks not, otherwise you wouldn't be spouting such ignorance.

This.

It's sorta funny how Bearcat continues to whine about the NUMBER of replacement starters the Bengals will turn to this season....because Bearcat has repeatedly admitted his biggest complaint about this offseason is allowing FA center Jason Brown to sign elsewhere. So when you get right down to it Beracats barking about the number of replacements is just empty noise. He's still bitching and moaning about the same thing he was bitching about months ago....and as a result he's not about to wait a moment or two to pass judgement on Cook.

As for Palmer and the projections, we're all plugging in the same numbers more or less....so all I'll add is this. Carson Palmer's vow to dump the ball off to his checkdown options quicker than in the past holds the key to this O-lines success, and Palmers own health.

Its good to see that the six weeks I was gone at Marine Corps Officer Candidate School you guys haven't lost your animosity towards Bearcat....lol

They have spent right up to the cap for the last four or five years. I don't know where you get the idea that they're underpaying everyone and then keeping the change.

They cut Willie, Deltha, and Rudi right before the season started last year. What did they do with the cap money saved by cutting them, I forget. :huh:

that is dead nuts on . . . i wonder what will happen to bc when the bengals start winning?

:lol::lmao: Boy that bandwagon sure will be full then, won't it? ;)

They cut Willie, Deltha, and Rudi right before the season started last year. What did they do with the cap money saved by cutting them, I forget. :huh:

Wow, that was weak. Is that all you got? What did you expect them to do with it? They cut them all after the 4th preseason game.

Its good to see that the six weeks I was gone at Marine Corps Officer Candidate School you guys haven't lost your animosity towards Bearcat....lol

Sheesh, you were just dying to find an opening to tell us that huh. :P I hope it went as well as you'd hoped.

Wow, that was weak. Is that all you got? What did you expect them to do with it? They cut them all after the 4th preseason game.

Restructure a contract or two, frontloading it with the extra cap money to free up cap money in future years.

Scour the other free agents cut at the last minute, to find potential upgrades to our depth chart.

SOMETHING, ANYTHING besides doing nothing and pocketing the money.

But you know what? If Mike Brown can get away with it without getting roasted by the local fans/media, then more power to him.

And when they suck ass and crumble after an injury or two because they have no depth... then "fans" like you will still be blaming it on "just plain ole dumb luck."

In a league of unprecedented parity, Mike Brown continually finds new ways to handicap his own franchise to the tune of record profits. And "fans" like you continue to be baffled as to why the Bengals have only had 1 winning record in 18 years.

Look, if you want to say that Mike Brown's milking of his franchise is such a given that it doesn't even need to be discussed, I am with you there. But to deny that it is happening and to call my proof "weak?" Well that's just ignorant, plain and simple. Of course, I'm responding to a guy with Butthead as his avatar claiming to be the "lone voice of reason" so I shouldn't be surprised.

Lemme guess, the Bengals are Super Bowl bound this year and there is no room left on the bandwagon, right? And I should "love it or leave it," right? And real fans don't criticize the shortcomings and sketchiness of this organization right? Just bend over, write Mike Brown a check, and bury your head in the sand. This year is THE year, you can just feel it, right?

Laughable.

Restructure a contract or two, frontloading it with the extra cap money to free up cap money in future years.

Scour the other free agents cut at the last minute, to find potential upgrades to our depth chart.

SOMETHING, ANYTHING besides doing nothing and pocketing the money.

But you know what? If Mike Brown can get away with it without getting roasted by the local fans/media, then more power to him.

And when they suck ass and crumble after an injury or two because they have no depth... then "fans" like you will still be blaming it on "just plain ole dumb luck."

In a league of unprecedented parity, Mike Brown continually finds new ways to handicap his own franchise to the tune of record profits. And "fans" like you continue to be baffled as to why the Bengals have only had 1 winning record in 18 years.

Look, if you want to say that Mike Brown's milking of his franchise is such a given that it doesn't even need to be discussed, I am with you there. But to deny that it is happening and to call my proof "weak?" Well that's just ignorant, plain and simple. Of course, I'm responding to a guy with Butthead as his avatar claiming to be the "lone voice of reason" so I shouldn't be surprised.

Lemme guess, the Bengals are Super Bowl bound this year and there is no room left on the bandwagon, right? And I should "love it or leave it," right? And real fans don't criticize the shortcomings and sketchiness of this organization right? Just bend over, write Mike Brown a check, and bury your head in the sand. This year is THE year, you can just feel it, right?

Laughable.

At no point did I say that the Bengals are Superbowl bound and at no point did I defend the decision to cut those three players. Quite the opposite in fact, when it happened. What I pointed out, is that the Bengals have spent to the cap the last four to five years. You claimed they didn't. Then you countered with one instance of them cutting three highly paid players and doing nothing with the savings. I countered with the fact that those three players were cut after the 4th preseason game. You name me one free agent that they could've gotten at that particular time. Oh.....there were none worth getting. As far as restructuring some contracts, the only player who was on the last year of his contract (worth retaining, anyway) was TJ, and obviously the Bengals weren't intent on keeping him here considering he didn't want to be here anymore. You can rationalize you're idiotic statement any way you want, but the fact remains that it was an idiotic statement.

Aside from that, it's Beavis as my avatar, who is someone I thought you could relate to seeing as how your logic is eerily similar to his.

I love how you say "'fans' like you". Are you questioning that I'm a fan? What makes you think that I'm baffled about the lack of success this franchise has endured? I know exactly why they haven't been successful. But I've also noticed that since Marvin has gotten here, certain things have changed. You seem to think that Brown is running this team the same way he did in the 90's. He's not. I'm not defending Brown in any fashion, but he has been fairly decent about giving Marvin the players that he wants. That's a far cry from what he's done for any other coach who's been here since his dad passed away.

The only thing laughable here is the way you try to defend the stupid things you say here.

Again, if you are just going to assume that the Bengals will suck from here to eternity, go somewhere else and spout your negativity. Your attitude is just as putrid as your logic.

• Like 1

Did you pass?

Yep, I graduated as of July 2nd, 2009. I was sent home two days early because my son was born on the 1st.

Did you pass?

Yep, I graduated as of July 2nd, 2009. I was sent home two days early because my son was born on the 1st.

Then I give you a big Semper Fi, and a welcome to the brotherhood. It shall remain with you for the rest of your life.

Did you pass?

Congrats to you on your accomplishment and to you and the family for the new addition !!!

Here's to hoping you and the family continued success and happiness !!!

What did they do with the money they saved from cutting Willie, Rudi, and Deltha? In 2008? nothing. In 2009? Signed Roy Williams, Tank Johnson, J.T. O'Sullivan, Laverneus Coles, not to mention keeping free agents, Brandon Johnson, Cedric Benson, Chris Crocker. So you say, why couldn't they have kept those guys for 2008 and then cut them, it isn't as easy as that because you can't just cut players after the season is over (or suffer the wrath of the Players Union) we would have had to carry those contracts into the offseason and thus we would have had to delay our free agent push and we would have likely lost out on some of the guys we brought in. The Bengals had a superb offseason, bringing in guys who are veterans but not over 30 years old, guys with good football intelligence and with the exception of Tank Johnson (who has been clean for better than 30 months) good character and bolstered the free agency with a great draft. Would Willie have helped last year, sure, but maybe one or two games at most. Deltha didn't want to be here and Rudi was done as we all witnessed in Detroit. What did we lose, maybe a chance to go 6-9-1? Please.

This team APPEARS to making good decisions, I am all for slamming the team for the things they have done wrong but you also have to praise them for the things they have done right.

• Like 1

I love how you say "'fans' like you". Are you questioning that I'm a fan? What makes you think that I'm baffled about the lack of success this franchise has endured? I know exactly why they haven't been successful.

And there it is. The thing that defines what it means to be a Bearcat or a Kid Shula. The feeling that only you can see what's really going on and everyone else who plays along is simply an unknowing sheep awaiting a fleecing. So you vow to remain a fan, but of course you stay miserable and negative at all times.....because you're smarter than everyone else.

Who-Dey

Did you pass?

Then I give you a big Semper Fi, and a welcome to the brotherhood. It shall remain with you for the rest of your life.

Well, I was already a Staff Sergeant with almost seven years in when I went, but thank you. lol I have now been through 18 weeks of Marine Corps boot camp. Good times!

• Like 1

Did you pass?

Well, I was already a Staff Sergeant with almost seven years in when I went, but thank you. lol I have now been through 18 weeks of Marine Corps boot camp. Good times!

Then I wasn't telling you anything you didn't already know. Congrats on your successful move from NCO to Officer. My first commanding Officer did the same thing, transforming himself from a Corporal into a Lieutenant Colonel.

From my experience, former NCO's do in fact make the best officers. At least in the aspect that they actually understand the other side of the fence and can draw from their own experiences when making decisions at a higher level. It's not to say there aren't some fine officers that weren't NCO's, but that's just my viewpoint on it.

Once again, congratulations on yours and your families accomplishments !!!