Decent read.... Michael Johnson at LB???

GapControl

But with his build & Athleticism I don't really seeing him being 2-3 inches taller then your normal linebacker being a problem.

Line backers that I know are 6'6+

Ted Hendricks 6'7

Greg Ellis 6'6

Vince Redd 6'6

plenty of Linebackers who are 6'5+ Brandon Johnson being one of them.

Don't forget Kim Bokamper (6' 6 1/2"), who was one of Don Shula's Killer B's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kRxE1hEFRM

No more youtube linking \cry

isn't he too tall to play LB? are there any recent dominating LB/DE hybrids that are 6'6 ?

I don't think it's that he's too tall to play LB - I think it's more that his jump shot probably wasn't good enough to play forward. I don't see why height would be a serious hindrance.

Ya slideshow_966801_johnson02.JPG that man can be a beast where ever you put him...how about safety! ^_^

The more I think about it, who gives a sh*t who starts? Tell guys not to worry about who the starter is. Hell, to an extent, tell 'em not to worry about what *position* they play. Just get talent on the field and tell them to hit somebody, hard. If they need to put 4 LBs to get the best players on the field, so be it. Same for 3 safeties - how's that for a nickel? Zimmer's got the guys to run some really weird schemes if he wants to - and I hope he does.

That's my thing right there. Give this defense the opportunity to change things up and show things that can further confuse the opposing offense. I like the direction Zimmer is taking this defense in and have complete faith. It's why the move of Johnson doesn't bother me as much as had it happened in the past with a different D-coordinator.

agreed. his track record says enough. i worry a little about johnson as a 43 backer b/c of a 43-backer's duties (primarily run stopping). his leverage and weight distribution aren't what you want from a run-stopper. but, zimmer's the man. i like what he likes.

http://www.daytondai...ity-171548.html

I don't know how I missed this article and I didn't see it on the forum here. If so, please disregard...

The part I found interesting is the sports hernia he suffered last season.

BENGALS 3RD ROUND PICK JOHNSON SHOWING VERSATILITY

By Chick Ludwig, Staff Writer Updated 11:52 PM Saturday, June 20, 2009

The subject is Bengals rookie Michael Johnson, and inquiring minds want to know why the former Georgia Tech star defender slid to the third round in the NFL Draft.

Despite his team-high 17.5 tackles for loss, including 9.0 quarterback sacks in 2008, Johnson drew criticism from NFL scouts and draft experts for not playing hard all the time and showing too much inconsistency.

Little did they know the pain he had endured. That lingering groin and abdominal injury turned out to be a sports hernia.

"I'm not really trying to put anything out there as far as an excuse," Johnson said. "You get on the field and go play."

And nobody played better on defense during Bengals minicamp than the freakish 6-foot-7, 266-pounder. Johnson is listed as a defensive end, but he got snaps at defensive tackle and outside linebacker.

Translation: He's extremely versatile and he's going to get significant playing time.

"It felt good just trying to learn everything so I can go out and play fast," Johnson said. "I feel like I'm a pretty intelligent guy. The coaches are showing they're confident enough in me to put it on me."

Johnson swatted passes, showed an explosive burst off the edge and displayed the speed, range and pass-rushing ability needed to play weak-side linebacker.

"He's exhibited the athleticism we saw that he had," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "His temperament and speed have been outstanding. When you give him something to do, he goes out and does it.

"He's been able to handle coaching ... and get better. He's a young player with a lot of physical tools and he's proven to us he has the mental capacity to handle it. Generally, when you combine those two elements, you have a very special player."

How special? Teammates are calling him the second coming of 11-year NFL veteran Jevon "The Freak" Kearse, who has 73 career sacks.