When will Andre Smith sign ??

ArmyBengal

With Sanchez signing yesterday at the #5 spot do you think that will help Smith get his contract signed and in camp ?? It can't hurt having one of the two guys on either side signed, as they may wait until Heyward-Bey is signed by the Raiders in order to bracket Smith, but it doesn't seem that simple when looking at it again.

I mean, Sanchez took less money and only signed a 5 year deal that would allow him to hit the market a year sooner than most early picks would see and I don't see the Bengals wanting to do that with Smith. However, he probably got a QB premium (as I've seen reported), so that skews things a bit or at least it would appear that way.

Most have expected a hold out anyway, but I was curious what impact you feel that signing meant for the Bengals and Smith...

With Sanchez signing yesterday at the #5 spot do you think that will help Smith get his contract signed and in camp ?? It can't hurt having one of the two guys on either side signed, as they may wait until Heyward-Bey is signed by the Raiders in order to bracket Smith, but it doesn't seem that simple when looking at it again.

I mean, Sanchez took less money and only signed a 5 year deal that would allow him to hit the market a year sooner than most early picks would see and I don't see the Bengals wanting to do that with Smith. However, he probably got a QB premium (as I've seen reported), so that skews things a bit or at least it would appear that way.

Most have expected a hold out anyway, but I was curious what impact you feel that signing meant for the Bengals and Smith...

Typically, the Bengals do not sign their first rounder until he is slotted. Hopefully Oakland can sign Darrius Heyward-Bey soon. But, I agree with you. The fact that a qb signed ahead of Smith, may skew things a bit.

Are they even talking yet? Frankly, I love the recent trend where teams like Chicago and Philly attempt to get all of their draft picks signed early, but typically we read how this is the time of year when members of the Bengals front office schedule ocean cruises, a safari or two, or perhaps a trendy walk across Africa.

And I'm not sure if the Sanchez signing will help slot Smith or not. In fact, it may cause problems due to Sanchez asking for and getting a 5 year contract rather than the more traditional 6 year deal.

And I'm not sure if the Sanchez signing will help slot Smith or not. In fact, it may cause problems due to Sanchez asking for and getting a 5 year contract rather than the more traditional 6 year deal.

That's exactly why I was saying it may skew things a bit. It may be the first time that getting slotted becomes a part of the problem as opposed to the solution...

That's exactly why I was saying it may skew things a bit. It may be the first time that getting slotted becomes a part of the problem as opposed to the solution...

But that's just the thing because it wouldn't be the first time. In fact, it's almost a certainty the Jets ridiculous but early contract agreement with Vernon Ghoulston resulted in numerous holdouts involving teams unwilling to match New York's stupidity. Furthermore, a contract involving a QB selected in the Top 5 rarely helps to slot the players drafted before and after.

Frankly, I don't know if the Sanchez signing will help or hurt, but I do know I'd like to hear something about the Bengals being in serious negotiations with Smith...something they rarely bother attempting until a later date.

I could still see a problem even once he's slotted if bey get's a way less money then Sanchez which we'll probably be the case...unless Al Davis is crazy and overpays 7th pick which very well could be the case...

PS,I remember hearing Rick Smith planned on meeting with Katie n Crew at the end of may but since that other guy is the agent now who knows when talks are scheaduled.....just would like to see also get 2nd-7th rounders asap

I could still see a problem even once he's slotted if bey get's a way less money then Sanchez which we'll probably be the case...unless Al Davis is crazy and overpays 7th pick which very well could be the case...

Seeing as how Sanchez signed a 5 year contract as opposed to a 6 year deal, there is the chance Heyward-Bey could get more than him in signing a 6 year deal. It seems that should be easy to figure out, but in regards to signing Smith when slotted between that mess, it could take some time to come to an agreement.

I also agree with Hair completely in that I would LOVE to hear about the Bengals being in negotiations as well, seeing as how I think Smith is going to be the most important signing of the draft picks in regards to what he will be expected to do from day one.

Are they even talking yet? Frankly, I love the recent trend where teams like Chicago and Philly attempt to get all of their draft picks signed early, but typically we read how this is the time of year when members of the Bengals front office schedule ocean cruises, a safari or two, or perhaps a trendy walk across Africa.

I believe Katie is busy climbing on a mountain climbing expedition in Washington with the Commish and Jim Mora. Your call will be returned in the order it was received.

It will probably take a long time. Alvin Keels is a one-man operation and he is currently pre-occupied with forcing a redo on the Jets for Leon Washington. He's also trying to do the same for another client, whose name escapes me. And I doubt that that dumbass Baby Huey Andre Smith has sense enough to get Keels cracking ASAP. By the way, what are the current odds on Smith making another agent change before the end of training camp?

Also, what are the chances, given the astounding lapses in judgement we've already witnessed, that our boy Andre was involved in the following: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31245888/

I'd put the odds near zero. The story states 7 football players were involved and then names 5 of them. Smith wasn't included. Furthermore, the story implies the two players who weren't named are still on the team, and will have to pay for the freebies they secured for themselves and their friends.

Furthermore, a contract involving a QB selected in the Top 5 rarely helps to slot the players drafted before and after.

Yup.

Frankly, I don't know if the Sanchez signing will help or hurt, but I do know I'd like to hear something about the Bengals being in serious negotiations with Smith...something they rarely bother attempting until a later date.

Yup.

I thought I saw on a crawl on espn that the Smith had been cleared of the improper contact with an agent stuff, tj. If so, will you take that off his ledger of "incredible lapses in judgment"?

I thought I saw on a crawl on espn that the Smith had been cleared of the improper contact with an agent stuff, tj. If so, will you take that off his ledger of "incredible lapses in judgment"?

That's good I suppose, but for all intents and purposes, do any of those things that were concerns about what he did or didn't do really matter anymore ?? I just think it's all a mute point at this time. I mean is anyone still concerned he ran his 40 without his shirt anymore ??

I'm not trying to be funny, just saying...

Friday July 31st 2009 is my guess.

Anyone want to build a pool?

Not a bad idea. Everyone make a guess and see which one gets closest.

If this was a typical year I would say Smith gets inked August 31st. But because of the uncapped year on the horizon, I actually think he could go into the season unsigned. Smith won't be the only one if the agents get greedy and this happens. But if it does happen, you know from history that the Bengals will be one of the teams it happens to.

So if I had to make a guess... I think Smith will sign Friday September 25th. Two days before the 3rd game (vs. Steelers). He won't play in that one but he should be ready to go by week 5 vs the Ravens. The Bengals will be 1-3 at this point and looking for answers at oline. So although he won't quite be entirely ready, the logic here will be that he is better than anyone else they have at RT.

Trial by fire vs. the Ravens, but minus a false start or two he will look ok for his first game.

As Hair mentioned and is pretty well known, they don't make a push to get the players signed early as it's vacation time, so I'm guessing later rather than sooner...

Which is kind of like a Tax Accountant taking a vacation the first two weeks in April. What a joke...

That's good I suppose, but for all intents and purposes, do any of those things that were concerns about what he did or didn't do really matter anymore ?? I just think it's all a mute point at this time. I mean is anyone still concerned he ran his 40 without his shirt anymore ??

Army, tj apparently is. It's on that post I was responding to, right here on this very thread.

Army, tj apparently is. It's on that post I was responding to, right here on this very thread.

Oh I know where it was coming from and I wasn't coming at you specifically. I was just making a general statement based off the opinion that somehow those things still make a difference. I wasn't saying YOU were the one with that opinion. I think TJ was just trying to make point of the article, but I could be wrong on both counts. Either way, I don't see any of his past issues (if they are to be so described) as being an issue any longer.

I don't think they ever were. I think it was blown way out of proportion. And yet, TJ insists on recalling it.

So, I thought it worth mentioning that one of his alleged lapses in judgment, he didn't even do.