Bernard Scott

TJJackson

Yeah... Except A. Smith played in a division against top tier competition every week. Whatever you think about Smith, there is no denying his ability to play football.

Scott, although having an extremely impressive highlight reel, has never played with, or against top tier talent. I'm certainly not saying he can't produce simply because of where he comes from, but I am saying the highlight reel means quite a bit less to me than had he been playing with the big boys. Really, the highlight reel shows us that he was a man among boys, and should have been playing Division I ball... but I'm hesitant to say he would have dominated at that level. That's why I guard my optimism with him, because I don't think anyone really knows for sure what the team is getting yet.

My argument was and always will be FOR A. Smith, but once again, I find how people pick and choose what to be excited about. I would invite them to Mr. Smith's highlight reel and consider who he's playing against. Once again though, I am still hoping for good things from Scott. It should prove interesting to see how he does when the pads come on.

Some love from Sports Illustrated, and the bolding is mine

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/07/29/rookies/index.html?bcnn=yes

Cincinnati -- Bernard Scott (6th round, 209th overall)

Scott has been arrested five times and was kicked out of the University of Central Arkansas for allegedly punching a coach. Sounds like a match made in heaven for the strife-riddled Bengals, right?

Actually, this could become one of the more compelling NFL stories if Scott truly has matured and straightened out his life as he claims. Scott has first-round talent -- an amazing set of skills and instincts. But he's been a first-rate knucklehead.

His NFL future is a clean slate right now; what he does with it is entirely up to him.

Yet more love for Bernard, this time from FoxSports....

You know, that article actually felt like love. The Sports Illustrated piece was just a crapfest that couldn't refrain itself from taking familiar shots at your boy.

(and no, I did not intend to quote the contents)

The responses were funny. Who knew Lion fans were still so bitter over Joey Harrington?

Well, TJ, your boy Bernie got some serious love from the guys on Sirius today, and I mean TJ-love. What they reported, looks like he'll definitely be making the squad and a difference in 2009.

Did they play Whitney Houston in the background as they talked about it?

(Aside - I dont have satellite radio in my car as I dont get the big web-authoring bucks, so I ask - who exactly was doing the talking? if it was someone from a disreputable outfit like PFT, then thats worthless. If I was from a reputable outfit like, oh, I dont know, examiner.com, then thats good :-))

I expect anyone on this board who can make G-town this year for the scrimmage this weekend will be required to give first hand impression of Scott on this here thread. Does he pass the eyeball test?

This is what Palmer had to say:

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Quarterback Carson Palmer on running back Bernard Scott: "I like him a lot. I think he's going to be really good. I think he's a really good change of pace for us, especially with a big bruiser like Cedric who stays in between the tackles. But Bernard's got a lot of speed. I don't know if he's as fast as Cedric, but he's explosive and quick. I'd say he's been the star so far of all the rookies. He's made the most plays. He's dropped the most jaws."

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/update-djones-out-4-6-weeks-coslet-visits/0a74d985-ae43-42cf-aaeb-c6a1d80640e6

Poor TJ :(

Bengals RB Bernard Scott drops a quarterback pitch, falls awkwardly and appears to have hurt himself.

By all reports, he shook it off and continued practicing

I think I read the word "premature" somewhere in this thread....hmmm....

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

dropped

jaws

Two words, but it pretty much says it all :-)

CUE THE WH MUSIC! (gotta get the ability to imbed javascript music player in these posts!!)

Now for the reading impaired, that's dropped jaws, not dropped balls - dropped balls is Princess Chad's territory

...and he missed the Friday scrimmage, and his performance in today's mock game was not good

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/heating-up/877bbfce-aa07-440f-a464-cc940ee732b9

Hopefully, it's all related to the shoulder issue, and hopefully the shoulder will heal up before preseason game 1