Bernard Scott

TJJackson

knucklehead + 25 years old + terrible frame for NFL RB + mike mickens still on the board = me real f-in pissed.

and really, i still don't like it. without pads, the dude should be tearin it up. he's small, shifty, and quick. when the pads come on though, he's gonna get stuck. he runs like a WR- his body position is awful and he has a sleight frame...dude better learn to stop dancin b/c it's a big jump from ACU (what up heisman) to the NFL.

for real, i hope it works out, but i ain't bitin yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Bernard gets some love from the DDN

/>http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-rookie-scott-out-to-prove-hes-worth-the-risk-219149.html

BENGALS ROOKIE, SCOTT, OUT TO PROVE HE'S WORTH THE RISK

By Carlos “Big C” Holmes, Staff Writer

Updated 10:10 AM Friday, July 24, 2009

The Cincinnati Bengals caused some eyebrows to be raised when they selected Abilene Christian running back Bernard Scott in the sixth round of the 2009 draft.

Scott entered the draft with more issues than National Geographic after being arrested five times. He also had trouble with authority during his college playing days, but that didn’t stop the Bengals, who are notorious for housing players with questionable character.

The Bengals were firm believers that the good far outweighed the bad in Scott, who insists those troubled days are behind him and enters training camp with a chip on his shoulder. “I have a lot to prove,” Scott said in a recent phone interview. “Everything I’ve been working towards since those incidents took place is about to pay off.

“I want to prove that I can play on this level and do the right things. I need to prove to the Bengals organization that they made the right decision by selecting me. I think I can do some good and help the team out.”

Scott went on to say that his troubled past was all a part of growing up and it’s about what you learn from your mistakes that matters. He said he’s ready to move forward and do whatever is needed to make the team.

There’s no denying the running back’s talent. Scott dominated at the Division II level, racking up 4,321 yards and scoring 63 rushing touchdowns in 25 college games. He also caught 93 passes for 1,391 yards and 10 touchdowns, showing his versatility.

Scott is an explosive back with the ability to take it the distance on any given play. He’s a strong inside runner and can be creative in the open field. The Bengals will likely use him on kickoff and punt returns, and possibly as a third-down back.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Scott will be a 25-year-old rookie should he make the club. There is no reason to believe he won’t after his performance in minicamp. However, that high level of play must continue throughout training camp. Aware of the expectations, Scott appears to have the right mindset.

“The sky is the limit for me,” he said. “I feel like if I can keep training hard and continue to work hard I can accomplish a lot at this level.

“I believe football is football. The better the competition the more you have to step up your game. I’m prepared to do so and looking forward to the challenge. I think I’m going to be successful.”

My expectations for Scott are not nearly as high as TJ's.

Neither are they anywhere as low as 7/11's.

All we really have to go on with this guy is speculative. Does he have athletic ability, and appear to have good skills at reading blocks and finding holes? Yep. Does that mean we got a guy who could have been a 1st round talent had he not had legal problems? That seems like quite a stretch to me.

I feel like if this guy had been a choir boy and gone to a Division I school, he likely could have been anything between an early 3rd to an early 5th round pick. I see him as a career change of pace back. He's not likely to be a bellcow. Benson will have that job for now. In two years when Benson's contract is up, and the Bengals have used up his legs for 20-30 carries a game, they can let him walk... but I doubt Scott will take over as the primary back. The Bengals will find another power back to share the backfield with Scott.

If I use my optimistic glasses, I can even see him having a decent 5-10 years in the league... but I just don't see him being an every down back in the NFL. He'll always be lightening to another player's thunder. That's still a great value pick for the 6th round in my opinion though.

Likely Scott or Dorsey gets hurt early, or they exchange injuries throughout the season, and the Bengals' needed depth there.

The only thing Bengals' fans need to worry about is the o-line, and the nickel CB position.

Haven't you heard that before as a Bengals' fan?

Some things never change here under Mike Brown....real depth at CB for any period of time, and an 0-line with serious concerns every year (along with complete garbage at the #2 QB position almost constantly).

My concern is Andre Smith's long holdout, that you knew was coming, and will hurt them all year long.

A major victory will be signing him in the first month of training camp.

We'll see...the Bengals need luck/breaks to win, more so than other teams, that's what it's all about here, cosmic alignment.

Likely Scott or Dorsey gets hurt early, or they exchange injuries throughout the season, and the Bengals' needed depth there.

The only thing Bengals' fans need to worry about is the o-line, and the nickel CB position.

Some things never change here under Mike Brown....real depth at CB for any period of time, and an 0-line with serious concerns every year (along with complete garbage at the #2 QB position almost constantly).

My concern is Andre Smith's long holdout, that you knew was coming, and will hurt them all year long.

We'll see...the Bengals need luck/breaks to win, more so than other teams, that's what it's all about here, cosmic alignment.

just a few years ago they had a top rated offensive line

kitna was considered one of the best backups

Andre Smith is not a hold out yet

very negative and exaggerating post

the bengals have fewer holes this year than most recent years - this is a year of real optimism for me -and its not just because its preseason. just feels different for some reason. 0 negative media. 0 complaining. Lets just hope we arent in the top three for injuries this year.

terrible frame for NFL RB ..............he's small ............has a sleight frame ...

You make it sound like it just flat out isn't possible for a 5' 10" 200 pound RB to have any success at all in the NFL.

Well how big is Chris Johnson ?

Or for that matter how big was Walter Payton ?

Maybe we should wait until we see the kid play before we make that kind of a judgement ?

terrible frame for NFL RB ..............he's small ............has a sleight frame ...

You make it sound like it just flat out isn't possible for a 5' 10" 200 pound RB to have any success at all in the NFL.

Maybe we should wait until we see the kid play before we make that kind of a judgement ?

Barry Sanders was only 5'8''! Look what he was capable of.

yikes, why are you yelling?

it is the off-season...that's what people do- they put opinions on the table.

i'm not saying it's impossible for him to succeed (i was a huge chris johnson fan in college and pre-draft); i'm saying that when i watch him run, he looks like a WR. he doesn't have a solid frame for his size and he runs upright.

i'm not saying he sucks; i'm saying he better fix that s**t or he's gonna get murdered in the AFCN.

i'm not saying it's impossible for him to succeed (i was a huge chris johnson fan in college and pre-draft); i'm saying that when i watch him run, he looks like a WR. he doesn't have a solid frame for his size and he runs upright.

i'm not saying he sucks; i'm saying he better fix that s**t or he's gonna get murdered in the AFCN.

He's not yelling. That would be CAPITAL LETTERS!

He's not yelling. That would be CAPITAL LETTERS!

oooooh.

i didn't know.

Agree with Kaz here in that I don't see them looking at Scott as anything more than the change of pace back they have needed for some time. Not only that, I think they are hoping they just get some sort of production out of a late round pick most teams probably took off their draft board completely. I don't know anything about this kid outside of what I've read since him being drafted and it's hard to say what he will do since playing against lower divison opponents, but it should prove interesting to watch the competition in camp. I do hope the kid does well though and I will be rooting for him.

Warrick Dunn was pretty small,No one expects Scott be a bell cow j ust a change of pace back.

Yeah, Warrick Dunn carried the load for a few years between the Bucs and Falcons. I don't think he was ever bigger than 190. You don't have to be a certain size. Just have to be durable and know how to take a hit so you don't get hurt. When you're quick and shifty like Scott is it's hard for people to get a good hit on you.

just a few years ago they had a top rated offensive line

kitna was considered one of the best backups

Andre Smith is not a hold out yet

very negative and exaggerating post

the bengals have fewer holes this year than most recent years - this is a year of real optimism for me -and its not just because its preseason. just feels different for some reason. 0 negative media. 0 complaining. Lets just hope we arent in the top three for injuries this year.

Is one winning season out of 18 exagerrating? It's reality.

They got rid of Kitna as soon as Palmer became the full-time starter.

The o-line had one good year, 2005, 2004 wasn't terrible, but it hasn't been good otherwise the last 18 years. I hardly see a pattern there.

As soon as a guard gets good and earns a new contract, they let him go.

Right now there's no Center, the LG is Nate Livingston, the RT is a rookie and unsigned, the LT is Whitworth, who hasn't played there for some time, and will be quite average.

They will need to come together VERY quickly and prove something early if they want to win games this year. Right now i'm just tempering fan board enthusiasm with reality.

Sorry to threadjack, Bernard Scott doesn't do much for me.

The enthusiasm comes from a couple of things. One, the lack of football will do that to any fan. Two, I think most everyone here is well aware the o-line is going to be the key for this team and we could end up doing very poorly because of it's time needed to develop. The thing is, IF the o-line comes together, there's not really much denying this team could be good and compete. It's just more enjoyable to try to be optimistic about your team as opposed to go into the season thinking there's no reason to watch the season because we are going to suck so bad.

It's just more enjoyable to try to be optimistic about your team as opposed to go into the season thinking there's no reason to watch the season because we are going to suck so bad.

Yeah, it's more enjoyable... at least until the season starts.

I'm much more excited about this year's team than last year's? In fact, I had almost no interest in the '08 Bengals until they cut Willie and Rudi. Why?

We knew exactly what the Bengals had last year. A team full of aging vets whose best years had past them by. It looked like just one more attempt to hope the glue from that '05 run could stick just enough to get them another 8-8 season before it all finally fell apart.

Well... just before the season, Mike Brown decided to cut ties with some of those aging vets and made a clear move to a youth movement. As disappointing as the product was on the field, it was a huge step in the right direction. It isn't '05 anymore. It's time to move on. They continued that movement this offseason parting ways with several of the key players from that '05 season in Housh, Levi, and Thornton.

The fact that this team is so young with so many unanswered questions is what makes this team so exciting. How will Maualuga and Rivers progress? Will Andre Smith mature and Whitworth transition into legit NFL OT's? Will this WR corps be as good as it looks on paper? Will Carson throw the ball to a TE now that he's got a couple talented ones? How will they use MIchael Johnson?

You get the idea. These are questions that we don't yet have answers to... and there are plenty others needing to be asked. But that's the point. Whereas even with a lot of optimism last year most of us knew the Bengals had a relatively low ceiling. Too many players had become complacent and the locker-room was not conducive to success.

This year is much more boom or bust. It could end badly... but if most of the questions we are asking are answered with positive results - well, the ceiling for this team is pretty damn high.

i'm saying that when i watch him run, he looks like a WR.

I don't believe that I have heard/read where anyone else is saying that about him.

I have however heard it said that, he catches the ball like a wide-out.

----------------------------------------------

High praise is all that I have heard for his running skills, which seems to come natural to him.

And by the way includes, the ability of "getting low and protecting the ball".

-----------------------------------------------

One writer even goes so far as to claim that he has, "Devon Hester break away and Barry Sanders stop and go".

And we all thought that it was only, the Bengals' fans who post here, that tend to over-hype the kid. B)

My question is if you took his highlight reel and combine, and removed his wrap sheet. What round do you think he would have went in? I have a great feeling about this kid.

I agree that the kid may be more than they hoped for, but I will wait to see what we have.

Not trying to take this off topic, but in relation to your comment on Scott. Fans get so optimistic about Scott by saying if you remove his wrap sheet and look at his highlight reel, the thought is he might have gone higher. While I agree with that thought, what I find odd is people (and this isn't directed at you Walzav, just in general) won't just look at Andre Smith's highlight reel and want to focus on his poor decisions at the combine and think he's going to be a bust. It's just something i've noticed that I found amusing. I hoping for good things out of Scott though...